Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Street Fighter

Unread 10-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Vega SF4
Pro fighter

Red face Ultimate Vega (SF4) cosplay, help with metallic armbands

I'm on my way of making the best Vega (street fighter ) cosplay that you will see in your lifetime.
Vega has been my favorite game character since I started gaming and for a while I wanted to do a costume that would make me look almost exactly like him.

So far I have the mask, the claws ( stainless steel claws), the hair and most important; the physique. (srs)
What I need now are the pants, the shoes, the glove, the red ribbon and last but not least: the metallic armband.

Now I know there probably is a technique to do that but here is where I need you help since I have no clue about materials to use and procedure.

Here is what I want:

The 3 bands, 1 attached to the glove and 2 on the other arm have a certain thickness.
It has to look solid and metallic looking.

Thoughts?
Vega SF4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Vchan
Cosplay noob

I would say chicken wire and papier mache - I've used it before to make a tiara and as long as you paint it well, it looks pretty convincing. Also it gives you the freedom to fiddle with the shape and the details as the wire is very malleable. I'd get the shape right first before using the papier mache as once you start putting the paper and glue on, it becomes rigid.

Also, it's quite light, which is good.
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Vega SF4
Pro fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchan View Post
I would say chicken wire and papier mache - I've used it before to make a tiara and as long as you paint it well, it looks pretty convincing. Also it gives you the freedom to fiddle with the shape and the details as the wire is very malleable. I'd get the shape right first before using the papier mache as once you start putting the paper and glue on, it becomes rigid.

Also, it's quite light, which is good.
My arms are 16 inches flexed but only 15 not flexed so that will be a problem, it will be loose as soon as my arms are relaxed and on the least movement it might tear up if I move or flex in a motion.

I think Im going somewhere with my strategy for the bands, it will probably me in fact in papier mache but hollow so I can put some sot of cushion in it and make it exceed the bands a little so when I flex I dont tear it up as the cushion will compress inside the bands.
Any recommendation of the material that would serve as a cushion inside? it has to be pretty dense:
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/sellnbuyn/chun1-1.jpg

I was thinking that kind of material.

How about that?

Last edited by Vega SF4 : 10-17-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Unread 10-17-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
Vchan
Cosplay noob

Ah, you need them to move... hmm... see girls don't have this problem as we don't have muscles, lol.

You could always incorporate some elastic or a small hinge of some kind within the structure so when you do flex, you get the movement but won't snap the band. I'm thinking of the way they do it with boots, a la this:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/roadg...ab-closeup.jpg

but then the papier mache wouldn't work then, you'd have to use coloured leather or something. Hm, this is a tricky one!
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
Noose

I think using an organic material would make more sense, and would replicate the look best. Since you want to make the best Vega cosplay out there, I'd use the best materials and learn the best skills. Leather would likely be very useful for the bands and you could certainly etch the designs and stain a pale leather to a rich orange. And if you want it to fit perfectly when you flex you could take a lesson from wrist-watches. Many kinds of metal watches incorperate a layer of elastics between seperating panels of metal, so you could create a similar design, keeping the seams in less obvious places or making thin suede layers of leather to cover the seams (similar to the thin suede flap that covers the inner part of a leather-boot zipper). If I'm making any sense at all. ;D
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Vega SF4
Pro fighter

Here is the final product, tell me what you think!

Last edited by Vega SF4 : 10-30-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Unread 11-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
Koona K.
Soldier of Chaos

Wicked Badass. That is all!

I'm not going to lie. Vega is my fav in SF (right next to Cammy lol.) so it's amazing to see someone pull him off so awesome. ^_^
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Vega SF4
Pro fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koona K. View Post
Wicked Badass. That is all!

I'm not going to lie. Vega is my fav in SF (right next to Cammy lol.) so it's amazing to see someone pull him off so awesome. ^_^
thankS!
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

haha holy cow Vega has been one of my favorite characters since street fighter 2 back in the day! you did an awesome job, you look just like him! =^.^=

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%
Bowser 100% (repair work)
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
aznwolverine
I lika do da cha cha

That's not fair, you totally took a picture of the in-game model and posted it up here. Haha great work this is 10/10. Pahfect!
aznwolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
elvis8tweeter
Philadelphia

Good job!!

-Juri~!