Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 10-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Pirate Queen
What's up, hot lady?

Kimonos

Hey I live near Toronto and i'm wondering is there any place where I can purchase a kimono? I know China Town might have one but where? And possibly where I can find getas? If not i'm going to have to construct my own which wouldn't be a problem either.

-------
Anime North 2012
Little Sister, Bioshock 2
Terra Branford 2.0, Final Fantasy
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Well I know a couple of sites you can buy kimonos from ^-^

Links:
http://www.jun-gifts.com/
http://www.ichiroya.com/index.php <---It's a pure Kimono flea market! >u<
http://www.jbox.com/CTTR/ <---You can find a couple of items (sandles, tabi socks, and a yukata or two)
http://asianideas.com/kimonorobes.html <---This has a couple of kimonos (but all the obis are pre-done) >.<

Then of course you can always search on E-bay. They always have all the items you need for a kimono (and the kimono themselves)!

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)
DeathOfSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
JadeCat
Cosplay-Con Photographer

There are several threads on how to make kimonos:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...ghlight=kimono
email: wyldfire AT wyldfires DOT com

What I want to be when I grow up: a demonic, re-animated, screaming, villianeous, sword-wielding psycho wench from hell who has risen to become a goddess. Do you think there are any job openings left?
JadeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Pirate Queen
What's up, hot lady?

My first thought was to buy online, but I'm kinda reluctant about that. Thanks for the threads JadeCat^^.

-------
Anime North 2012
Unread 10-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
Toki chan
Blur Time Mage~

Hm, the thing is.. what type of Kimono are you aiming for? The traditional type as in the one's with very very long sleeves which can drop down to about your knees (which is more commonly used by actress these days) or a kimono yukata.. which is used during Summer Festivals (you can look at my gallery, I just uploaded one ._.) where the sleeves drop down to about the waist only.
Toki chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
Pirate Queen
What's up, hot lady?

Either would be good but I would prefer the long sleeved ones. Because aren't the long sleeved kimonos commonely used also by unmarried woman?

-------
Anime North 2012
Unread 10-13-2005, 08:51 PM   #7
Toki chan
Blur Time Mage~

If you'd like to get the long one, I'd suggest you make it instead of buy, as it could cost a bomb.. You'd best buy some nice looking silk material and sew it, because one with delicate designs could cost alot.. even the more simple designs could cost you alot.
Toki chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 09:05 PM   #8
Citrakite
Journey into a Decade

I brought a nice kimono for like 30 bucks on Ebay.

I'm making the second one or to be more correct I brought a Butterick pattern and then flaked out as I know jack about sewing using a pattern and a woman's making it for me as we speak.

Brocades can get a bit pricey though. Mines straight black for Miroku.
Anime Expo -Done
Saboten-Con
Tucson Comic-Con
Anime Los Angeles

"Kilts were of course everyday wear. In battle we'd don full length sequin gowns to blind our enemies." -Groundskeeper Willie
Citrakite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

You might be able to find a few furisode for decent prices on ebay or from one of the online shops. They seem to be $500 or less, which is a steal, considering the original prices of them (usually several thousand dollars).

Furisode are usually worn by unmarried women, usually under the age of 25, but it sometimes goes as high as 30. And not just by actresses - many women wear them, but usually only for formal events. The kimono just isn't daily wear any longer. Unmarried women can also wear shorter sleeves if they wish (I have both types).

There are many types of shorter-sleeved kimono - in fact, most are shorter sleeved, furisode is the longest. Kurotomesode (formal crested black kimono), komon (all over design), homongi (design on sleeves and hem), tsukesage (no up or down to the design)...all are the shorter sleeve length.

I don't know how long the bolts of silk are, but ichiroya sells kimono silk if you were going to sew one. If you are, and want it a bit more authentic, perhaps getting Folkwear's pattern or John Marshall's book (How to make your own Japanese clothes) or Jenni Dobson's (sewing kimono, or something like that).

Hmmm. How much would you need for a furisode... sleeves ~2m(x2), body 2x ~3.5m=7m, front panels ~1.5m, collar.... at least 12m of fabric on the kiji [kiji is the word for the roll of silk], most likely more (as I think my yukata kiji was 12 m and I only have a little bit left, but I can't remember).

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!

Last edited by Eleryth : 10-13-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
Pirate Queen
What's up, hot lady?

*absorbs information* Wow..lol thanks for you help I'm going to take it all into consideration when looking/purchasing or constructing my own.^.^

-------
Anime North 2012