Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Otakon

Unread 02-03-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
Mikou

Question 1,000 Newb Questions

Okay, so I have never been to a convention before, although I have always wanted to. I need to know everything. Firt off like, Where is this at, how much to get in, those type of things. I am so nervous because I really want to go, but I have like no contume-making ability whatsoever. Maybe I should just ask someone to tell me how it went? *sigh* I hope someone can desifer this thing and help me. Being a newb is like being the only human in a pile of frogs, I feel so out of place.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
psythe

Never been to Otakon yet, but I can tell you that most cons I have been to are a blast

You can find out more about Otakon at http://www.otakon.com

Hope this helps!
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2003, 02:00 PM   #3
Mikou

Oh thanks! And I figured they were, but one like I said cant make costimes, second well I don't have the figure(do men even have figures? o_O) to wear one, and third dont have like any so that kind of counts me out. If I can fidure where it is, I might get my friend to pay *sigh* Friends are always useful when they have moeny, hai?

And Arigatou, I owe you. I am about to check that sight out now!
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
psythe

Going to a con doesn't require you to go in costume. Maybe if you haven't been to one yet, just go without a costume and see how you like it ^_^v Then if you really like it you can see about doing a costume of your favorite character
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2003, 05:46 PM   #5
ryuichi fangirl
Taryn + bacon = OTP

*poke poke* nya...he's right, you don't HAVE to wear a costume, trust me as I went to two other cons before I made my first costume...and yes men have "figures" (lol) like a bishonen twig...
but that doesn't always matter..as long as you're comfy in whatever it is ^_^

I hope you do get to come, it's going to be my first time at Otacon and I'd like to meet as many people as I can, so even if you don't have a costume maybe you could just come and hangout with us?
ryuichi fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2003, 06:45 PM   #6
Sami
» star*stealing girl

For me, Otakon was a tough con to be a "newbie" at because it's so immensely huge and there's so much going on and it's all so rushed.. it was my first con back in 2001, and honestly I felt a little awkward and left out because it was so large and everyone seemed to know what they were doing. ^_^;;

But that's just me, for other people it might work out A-OK!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2003, 09:30 AM   #7
Giant Alucard
DooD, it is Glorious!

dont worry , like all cons, this one is for fun. you dont want to wear a costume , you dont have to , but once you do it seems that it puts a whole new demension to the con, after that you may want to wear one or you may not. About the figure thing, hmmmmmmmm, the bishonen guys are mostly twigs yes , but most range from wide to built. Me , myself. i have not had to worry about figure that much, I do ALOT of sports, so i am well muscled, and am close to the size of Shaq (about 6'9), so i didn't really think about it. I usually go with Characters that remind me of myself: say like Alucard from hellsing, Saitou Hajime from Kenshin, And even Seta form love hina (same personallity my friends say). It's just ment to be fun, if you had to look exactly like the person no one would want to dress up, they just want to come as close as possible, to experiment, get a better understanding of their favorite characters. But like i said, it's all for fun. I'm sure you'll have a great time at otakon, maybe i'll see ya there.
Giant Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2003, 08:39 PM   #8
DarkEternal

I've been to smaller cons, but never of one this size. But this year Im going, Im probolly making a costume, I think it will make a good twist.
Im bringing A LOT of spending money because im a psycho and shooting for $300. But thats just me. Im actually bringing a friend of mine, he likes comics and anime, but not very largely I think this will make him a nut about it
DarkEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 02:25 AM   #9
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Otakon is like the Mecca of any anime con on the east coast, trust me, even if dont cosplay u'll have a blast.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2003, 03:49 PM   #10
Caryn
Chii?

I dressed normally for my first con last year, and it was still REALLY fun! I got a chance to explore everything and get un-newbified (lol). I'm gonna cosplay for Otakon this year (if I can make it to that AND BAAF, I dunno...)

But whether you decide to dress up or not, you should definitely definitely go!
Caryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2003, 08:39 AM   #11
Kurumi

*nods and waves* Yes yes!! I agree with everyone else. Latyear (2002) was my first convention and I had so much fun! Once I saw everyone elses' costumes and how they were being swamped by pictures, I wanted to do the same! n_n ..I've never been to a place where acting totally goofy and happy about anime is okay, and everyone gets along! It's nice to meet people who share the same intrest which makes it all worth while. Plus, many of the guys are cute! *blush* ^_^ hehehe.....Gomen! Had to say it....well im off buh bye!! (no worries)
Kurumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2003, 04:34 AM   #12
Radical Urd
Good to be Back

I agree with Kurumi Otakon is indeed filled with hot guys *nods hand to chin* and my first year i was scared and intimidated, but i got to know the people and got into cosplay and i didn't feel so out of place. Believe me if you see me, which you probably will, i am one of the nicest people you could meet at a con and there are others just like me. I love con virgins, because i remember being one in 99. Otakon is big and you might not be used to it, but there are always things to do and the entertainment is high class and there wil always be some one friendly to talk to. you just have to be willing to be open and friendly. Hell if you need it i'll talk to you! i'll introduce you around and show you the ropes, being a con veteran *points to "i'm an otakon vet" badge* i can help you out no prob. ^_^
Radical Urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 07:31 AM   #13
BabiiYunie
Tamahome Hugger! *Gleam*

o_______________0 that's mad confusing If I'd be going Id need someone like Caryn to guide me around *pouts*
BabiiYunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 11:32 AM   #14
Caryn
Chii?

lol Nat if you get to come I will un-newbify you!! Dun worry ^_^
Caryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 10:49 AM   #15
Shinobu
Make me Shining

Another thing to do to get you ready for what's coming is to read con reports. I read a few con reports of Shoujocon and looked on their site to see what was coming, ect. Since Shoujocon was so small, it wasn't too hard, and it was my first con too. (Do two Pokemon conventions count?, if so, Shoujocon was my 3rd, and I didnt cosplay until Shoujocon.) Now I'm looking for more con reports of Otakon to see what's coming, and I dont want to just read one or two because I wont know what's gonna happen all the way... Since you want to know about anime cons in general, feel free to read my report of Shoujocon... http://www.geocities.com/chu_studios/Shoujocon2002.html
Shinobu is offline   Reply With Quote