Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop

Unread 02-03-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
lupineloli
cyberlola

AX: J-rock Events main thread - NEWS

Here is this thread for anyone to express their concerns, questions and just whatever in regards to the Anime Expo J-rock Events (2003).
I'll check back soon to answer the best that I can. =)

Please always check here and the last posts for any news.

NEWS:
Our time slot has changed to 4:00pm-6:00pm (still on Friday)

Last edited by lupineloli : 04-08-2003 at 09:15 PM.
lupineloli is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2003, 06:00 PM   #2
psythe

<dreaming>
I would give my left arm to see Moi Dix Mois or Dir En Grey at AX
O_O;;
</dreaming>

On a more realistic tone, I would just like to see live Jrock in general, would be one of the highlights to my cons since getting a plane ticket to tokyo to see them isn't very feasible
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Yeah, bring on the plushies! I just kinda showed up to AX last year, and it was my first time, and I had no conception of what went down at the j-rock event. Anyway, if you do have that, at least I'll have some to show this year. ^_-

As far as the game show....kinda a good idea, but maybe have teams or something. You guys were trying to get me up on the stage, but I was completely convinced I wouldn't be knowledgable enough by myself (Of course, you proceeded to ask questions I actually -did- know the answers to, and then I was beating myself up for not going up there...go figure...) But people feel much more comfortable in teams in general...I think the game would just run more smoothly. Or you could always make it like millionaire....multiple-choice, poll the audience, phone-a-friend (er, I mean...ask-a-hide).

But besides cosplay events, I can't think of too much else to do with such a large group. Show videos?
Unread 02-03-2003, 07:55 PM   #4
lupineloli
cyberlola

The game show idea has been shelved for this year. We're working on other programming outlets at the moment. But your team idea is absolutely dead-on for more audience participation, which is what we're going for. I mean - it's about the fans, not about three chicks on a stage yapping about stuff you guys already know - you know? =)

psythe said:
On a more realistic tone, I would just like to see live Jrock in general, would be one of the highlights to my cons since getting a plane ticket to tokyo to see them isn't very feasible

DITTO! But, getting several plane tickets along with the man power and money to ship huge, fragile equipment isn't very feasible for such a relatively small genre (we are a pretty big gathering, but in the grand scheme of things, we're small)
Like I said though - it is ALWAYS possible (look at A-kon!) but j-rockers do come to America and perform. It's either an event for their fanclub (but they let the local crowd in anyway) or just a little private tour to experience a new crowd. You just need to keep your eyes open. =)
The key locations for jrockers to come and perform are New York City, Las Vegas and Hollywood (which is where I saw Chisato and friends of mine saw Machine)

Of course - it would be nice to get the experience of anime, jrock, manga, jpop, cosplay all in one venue - and we're getting there, we're getting there - just takes time/money/energy/super powers/ - wait. Well - it feels like it takes super powers sometimes, anyway! ^-^

Last edited by lupineloli : 02-03-2003 at 07:57 PM.
Unread 02-03-2003, 09:33 PM   #5
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

ah yes, Duel Jewel's now coming to Katsucon (which was one of the pushing factors to get me back to that unorganized, security-pyscho con this year). Ha, not like that's DeG or anything, but if -Katsu- can get a concert of a sort going, I hope the mighty AX (being in California, no less) could realize some of that some time soon. ^_^
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2003, 09:42 PM   #6
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

About the Lolita contest.

There should be a Best Overall, don't you think?
cutekawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2003, 10:16 PM   #7
soshi
onna kaizoku

the best chance of getting some "live jrock" would be getting someone who knows an indies band or a member of an indies band to agree to come over, and then get AX to pay for it. it's easy enough to find people who have even meager connections (*does little jig and bows*), but the problem is and always will be MONEY, especially at such a corporate-run con like AX.

Quote:
About the Lolita contest.

There should be a Best Overall, don't you think?
I don't think so ~ I mean, this is a privately funded thing with a tiny budget, and having a "big" prize would not only stretch rescources but put undue pressure on the entrants. on the other hand, I suppose if someone had a really great costume that was in between gothic and classic.. *shrugs* it looks like the awards are keyed to what number of people think will enteri. if there's a massive amount of pre-registrants, the number of awards might stretch. and there could be extra industry awards, or something? Oo; lol...
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2003, 12:57 AM   #8
lupineloli
cyberlola

On the Lolita Tournament

There is a "best overall" for each of the fields. I do believe The Fairest of Them All qualifies for the Lolita portion and The Scariest Lolita of Them All. As for a combo of both - well - the genre is too broad for that. I have really yet to see an outfit that does not lean more to the side of "gothic" or "lolita" while still trying to combine both elements. There is usually one dominant attribute that makes an outfit either MORE gothic or MORE lolita. Combining both in a costume is certainly not discouraged - but it is up to the contestants to chose which will be the more dominant - fluff or fright. ^-^

Lacking in a "best overall" surprisingly has little to do with our budget, actually - but thanks for the concerns, Soshi ^-^ You're dead-on about the undue pressure, though. I don't want anyone to enter this competition just because there may be some trophy involved.
Prizes for this tournament will be given to the persons who win each title.

On Duel Jewel

Duel Jewel was brought to America through a third party - not a convention staff. I don't think a lot of people realize just how much "pre production" there really is to running a convention - particularly large ones like Otakon and Anime Expo.
Go back to convention reports of the early days of American Anime Conventions - you'll see how bleak they were. Trying something new is always nerve wrecking - like dipping your toes in uncharted waters.
A-kon had already been prepared for a band because:
1) it's the oldest anime con in this country
2) its staff holds quite a number of jrock fans on it
3) it catered to j-music fans early on with a j-rock/j-pop dance and video room (so I am told?)

J-rock may not be new to us, the fans, but it is new for certain cons and we just need to be as encouraging as possible and keep moving with what we have - expanding every year. (I'm going to keep pushing the optismism notes around - so watch out for smiles and rays of hope! ^-^)
Unread 02-04-2003, 03:27 PM   #9
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Yeah, I know that it's going to take an immense effort to ever really happen, but I just wanted to remind you guys that we'd support you (no matter how vague or unhelpful that sounds.) I'll watch for those rays of hope. ^_^

As far as prizes...hey, I'd be happy with a free registration for next year. I don't think it necessarily has to be a dealer-supplied token, where you run the risk of just getting a random assortment of items that they couldn't sell. (Altho, last year did seem to have good awards ^_-) Anyway, I don't know if you have the ability to hand out passes like that as prizes, but it makes some sense as it doesn't cost anything, it's something every contestant would equally want, it encourages people to come back (and spend their money in the dealer room O_o) and it guarantees that they'll be some good cosplayers at the next con. Anyway, just a thought. You can't go too wrong handing out j-rock stuff (it's mostly those larger masquerades where the prizes are not too desirable.)
Unread 02-04-2003, 09:21 PM   #10
lupineloli
cyberlola

actually - it does cost the con something. It costs them $50 or however much the badges are. That money is for the next year's con and so forth. It would be awesome to give that out, but I have no control over that department, so it will probably not be on the prize list. ;_;
Last year we had some awesome prizes because House of Anime realizes the importance of j-rock and doesn't just give us "left overs" - they're ont he up and up of what's "in". That's why I'm kind of a rapid unofficial spokesperson for them - LOL
We're still in the "drawing board" stage with prizes - but trust me - they'll be along the lines of whatever they're given out for/to.
=D

Last edited by lupineloli : 02-04-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Unread 02-07-2003, 01:37 AM   #11
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

moved from J-Rock/pop forum~
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 11:21 AM   #12
lupineloli
cyberlola

Thanks, Nessa.
I wasn't sure if I'd get as many responses here but it got off to a good start in the j-rock forum.
Unread 02-07-2003, 05:17 PM   #13
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

oh no...I hope it doesn't get lost amongst all these threads here. ^_-* Oh well....

Anyway, back to the topic, yeah, hooray for HoA...they -are- the only one to carry decent j-rock-related goodness in the dealer room. I totally trust you guys to choose appropriate prizes (the general masquerade could learn a lot from you guys.)
Unread 02-07-2003, 05:35 PM   #14
soshi
onna kaizoku

HoA is alright, but at Ani-magic they were selling bootlegged photobooks for astronomical prices (like, way more than the original copies). You could tell, too - the pictures were all grainy and there were no official record label marks anywhere. I asked the guy working there why they were so much and he yelled at me. *rolls eyes*

I appreciate people having a large jrock selection, but if you're going to sell bootlegs, make them cheap and make sure everyone KNOWS they're bootlegs. it's unfair and dishonest to try and pass them off as real copies.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 05:51 PM   #15
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Well, like you said, it's obvious when they're bootlegs. It's kinda people's judgement if they wanna spend so much based on that quality. Obviously, they are a -lot- of people at cons who would sacrafice quality for money...just look at all the everanime (sorta 'grey'-market') and SM & HS (full-out bootlegging there) rip-off CDs that massively get sold at cons.

And who yelled at you? O_o It must have been a helper, because the regulars rock.
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote