Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-26-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
Cait

Ramen & Rice-like Anime Street Performing?

I play violin. I'm not too exceptionally good, but I can play. The thought of doing what the viola/cello duet Ramen and Rice do so well has crossed my mind. Anyone else had the same desire to bring an instrument to a con, open your case for donations, and play every anime/game track you can muster for the crowd? Anyone know if there are any large legal obstacles for doing this at a con?

~Cait
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2002, 04:48 PM   #2
Nietsche
Have a SUPER good time!

Unfortunately not many anime tunes lend themselves well to my picolo...and I haven't picked it up in a long while now!

Some small info on pandas- Eats, shoots and leaves!
(this is an excellent book btw)
The difference a little punctuation makes!
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 04:50 PM   #3
Nietsche
Have a SUPER good time!

Actually it's more like Amiboshi's flute..I used to play the standard flute.....

Unread 07-26-2002, 05:04 PM   #4
Cait

Now that would be cool... to see an Amiboshi who can actually play a flute!

Another thing.... the only violin playing anime characters I can think of are are Michiru from Sailor Moon and Quatre from Gundam Wing. Can you guys help me legnthen this list?
Unread 07-26-2002, 05:09 PM   #5
Nietsche
Have a SUPER good time!

Anime- Harmelun- Violinist of Harmelun...Snow Fairy Sugar- Ginger....
Games- Yurika from Rival Schools/Project Justice...

Unread 07-27-2002, 02:07 AM   #6
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

Heck, I want to cosplay Clarinet from Violinist of Hameln just because his name is Clarinet! I've never even seen the series or read the manga ^^;;.

But yes, I have thought about using my clarinet in a masquerade presentation. Just about any song I've heard I'll translate to the clarinet (for the excuse of training my ear, but it's fun anyways :P). My skills on that instrument seem to have deteriorated, however, so maybe I won't be doing what I was planning to do for the Ani-Magic masquerade ^^;;.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2002, 01:15 PM   #7
Nadeshiko
white rose assassin

For a while, I was thinking of going as Madoka from Kimigure Orange Road. I finally decided too. There were so many dresses I wanted to go in the Giga scan piccies. Very 1980s! *^^* I own a sax, but the problem is, I never had any lessons to begin with. The reason being, I was supposed to take a sax class in my senior year, but they decided to drop the class. ;_; I do play the piano, but it would be interesting to haul a piano with me the entire time. Madoka does play the piano a few times. Then I'm going as Karen from Sister Princess. She plays the piano, too. I wouldn't do it for money, just for fun. I don't know that much anime music to play on the piano. I've been learning ALW and other showtunes all my life. ^^;
Unread 07-28-2002, 09:13 PM   #8
Cait

Well, you could bring a keyboard.... *pause* I don't know anything real about pianos. Also, I'd think you'd be at a severe advantage over the rest of us. Most of the sheet music I've seen online and offered in music books has been meant for piano. I only adapt it because violins read treble clef... I've also hooked in a cello friend of mine to play the other line.

Check these places to see what I mean:

http://www.animescores.com/
http://www.geocities.com/ichigosmusic1/

~Cait
Unread 07-28-2002, 10:03 PM   #9
antiswanky

Kaworu and Asuka (evangelion) are often pictured playing the violin, Rei playing the viola. I know for a fact Shinji plays the cello. heh.. little Evangelion string quartet?
Unread 07-28-2002, 10:54 PM   #10
Adella
MalonxLink 4 EVAR11

I dunno about more people doing it, it's kinda Ramen and Rice's little creative thing that they did... I think it would be kinda rude to copy it ^_^;;
Unread 07-29-2002, 01:52 AM   #11
Cait

Well, it's not as though they invented street performing, or wrote the music, or have done anything new in anyway. I've actually been thinking of doing this for a good year and a half.. ever since I accidentally came across a cello/violin/viola trio for "Memory of Fanelia" from Escaflowne. My circle of friends loves anime first, and stringed instruments second. I'd never even heard of the two kids 'Ramen and Rice' until three weeks ago, and I've only known that one plays a viola, not a violin, for two weeks.

I put their names in the title to draw in discussion. They were recognized, whereas many people might not know what exactly was meant by 'street performing'.

As for Eva... Now that you mention it... I'm thinking of asking my friend (girl) if she'd dress as Shinji should something like this ever become a reality for us. I remember, now, when I first showed her Evangelion that the moment she saw Shinji playing... well, she jumped up and ran to the TV and announced that she had his solo memorized as well. I notice a lot of those 'make the main cast into a string ensamble' pictures for the various series. They're always fun.

.....Rei the viola? *snicker*

~Cait
Unread 08-09-2002, 08:04 PM   #12
Kurenai

I went down to the depths of the hotel while the masquerade was going on last ACen, and I met a bunch of really cool people at the piano down there who were also musically inclined. We jammed all night, weee! ^_^ I started picking up on RPG/Anime tunes about 4 years ago....
Kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 09:24 PM   #13
PirateRogue
Matsumoto Loyal Retainer

I've seen street performing done in the halls at Dragoncon in Atlanta GA-- this is an anything goes con as far as the costumes go, serious fun! Sometimes they even have an award for best street performer mixed in with the hall costume catagory. In 2000 a pair won wearing traditional japanese garb while playing violin and cello, i think it was. A great new twist on hall cosplay!

http://www.dragoncon.org

lots of links to photo pages of previous years. Its coming Labor Day weekend.
PirateRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 09:45 PM   #14
SohjiroX
X marks the spot

Wish there was something I can do but all I know how to play is drums and I am right now trying to learn how to play a regular guitar....but I hope to learn another instrument some day, and dont care what.

Planned: All Planned for Sakura Con, Fanime, and AX of 09
Heinkel Wolfe - Hellsing Ultimate
Young Walter - Hellsing Dawn
Fox - Secret
Kyo - KOf 98-06
Steve - RECV
Soujiro Seta - Kenshin
Juji - Gun grave overdose
SohjiroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 11:06 PM   #15
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

A Kaoru Miki cosplayer at A-kon started playing Sunlit Garden on the piano in the lobby. XD It was awesome. Then a Himemiya Anthy cosplayer sat beside him.. I can't wait to finally get my photos developed. ^_^;; my girlfriend accidentally took home my camera x.x;

Before Ramen & Rice were as well known as they are now, I remember seeing them at Fanime 01... I recognized far too many tunes they'd play, from games to anime. I need a life. >_>

I'd do something like it if I had any skill. :P I can only sing..

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote