Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Weekend Atlanta

Unread 02-05-2003, 03:19 AM   #1
ChibiMoFo

Anyone goto AWA?

It means Anime Weekend Atlanta. I know a few ppl going, but mostly for amv reasons. I wonder how big of a con it is, it seems really small to me o_O
ChibiMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2003, 08:53 AM   #2
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

Its around 3000 people attending, so its a medium sized anime con. Its mostly caters to AMV crowd, several of the organizers hate cosplayers. Cosplayers usually go anyway, as its a centrally located southeast con. I usually go, but this year probably will be skipping it to go to DragonCon instead. Several cosplayers from Florida mailing list have said that they will be skipping also due to issues with the attitudes there. As long as you can avoid having issues with staff, should have an good time. I had my bad staff run-in on Sunday last year and most of my club (including noncosplaying amv-making members) also had issues with this con.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2003, 01:34 AM   #3
ChibiMoFo

hmm, that might explain a few things.
ChibiMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 12:04 AM   #4
Spectre

I go to AWA every year and it's great. The only problem I have with it is the staff. Every year I swear I get in at least two conflicts with the staff, but avoid them, and you're in for the time of you life. AWA is the only anime con I go to for location reasons (it's only 45 min away), and I'm still going so it's not that bad.
Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
Carmila
Katsucon Pocky Tart

I have been to all but two AWAs, so I am most definately going to be there!

Frankly, I like AWA, but then again, I am partial. I have really seen it grow from nothing into something!

Join the Carmy Army!
http://www.thesteelangel.com/carmsboobs.gif
Carmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 02:00 PM   #6
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I have been to most AWAs also. Its somewhat better run then it used to be, but now have better choices of cons to go to - where it used to be one of the few gigs around. If I hadn't had run in with a major attitude staffer last year I might have gone again - but now its lost about any appeal. If other club members were going I might be talked back into it, but most of them were torqued off by various things also. Its a shame as there are some good staffers there, but they are totally overshadowed by the staffers from hell.
Unread 02-17-2003, 07:15 PM   #7
SuthrnBelleChan
The Migratory Bird SIMCA

I'm going ^_^

2010 Convention Plans:
MTAC - Nashville, TN
PersaCon - Huntsville, AL
Dragon*Con - Atlanta, GA
AWA - Atlanta, GA

2010 Cosplay Plans:
Queen Maya from Kamen Rider Kiva
Female Sheep XIAH from DBSK
Ringo from Air Gear
SuthrnBelleChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 06:52 PM   #8
kitsunered

What Kind of Problems?

Just out of curiosity, what problems did you have with the staff at AWA? I went once a few years ago, but wasn't cosplaying at the time. I was considering going this year and was wondering what to look out for.

Costumes for 2007: Ran (Texhnolyze), She-Ra (She-Ra: Princess of Power), Marie's Black Masquerade Gown (Sofia Coppola's Marie Antionette), EGA Plum Walking Suit (Original Design)

Cons for 2007: Katsucon (tentative), Animazement (tentative), MomoCon, Dragon*Con, Anime Weekend Atlanta
kitsunered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:26 PM   #9
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

A lot of them are just plan rude. Major problem this past year was with one staffer in elevator on Sunday - we were near the top of the hotel and had waited for about 40 minutes for elevator as had all my costuming stuff plus stairs were blocked anyway so couldn't get out that way either. Other 3 elevator staff lied to us saying they would come back to get us, but wasn't really upset as their elevators were full. But then an empty elevator car came to our floor and the staffer on there was a nasty ass and wouldn't let anyone on - when person got past him to get on he hit alarm and wouldn't let us go and started yelling. So we were stranded and hostage til shortly after when they finally opened the stairs completely down. It was a bad situation made 100x worst by mister attitude.

Other things that club members had beef with: staff wasn't very willing to let Final Fantasy Ball move to bigger room when there was a huge turnout, some video room equipment like screens were too small, a lot of videos quality was very poor, no signage outside a lot of rooms to help people know what was going on, etc.. On those last couple of points, would excuse some of that for a younger con but since this was their 8th expect them to know better or care.
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:38 PM   #10
Nagisu
Sieze the booty!~

I enjoyed AwA for the past few times I've gone, all but the staff. If you can just kinda avoid them, it's great. And I'm definitely going this year
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:43 PM   #11
makio
resident slacker

Kitsunered - Nice avatar! Is it Dawn? Anyway, I could go all night with a rant on how much I disliked the trip to AWA and the event itself...but I'll just say the only thing you need to evade or avoid is the staff and driving on some of those Atlanta roads leading to the con location. I thought Florida had some screwed up highways... jeez. "IF" I bother going this year, I seriously hope it's a lot better than 2002.

By the way... Don't bother bringing ANY kind of prop with you.

"Then what am I supposed to believe in? What am I going to leave behind when I'm through?"
-Raiden, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
`````
makio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 11:07 PM   #12
Lucifer

I want to go to AWA this year, as I've missed it the last two years (due to money problems).

I've heard bad things about the staff, but I tend to avoid staff all together. Most cons don't have the most pleasent of staff workers (hell if I were in their position I probably would be grouchy too).

Either way, I don't let anyone else ruin my time anywhere. Well, least staffers.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 09:50 PM   #13
Spectre

AWA 8 (2002) was the worst one. I was Kuno and the staffer made me put up my bokken. This year, however, you should be allowed to bring props. The reasoning last year was that the location was a government location, and I should be allowed to bring my wooden sword this year! ^_^ V
Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote