Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-31-2005, 01:10 AM   #1
JuuJuu

A gun out of foam board?

I'm cosplaying a Turk and I've got black paint and a big slab of foam board. Only problem is that I don't know how to make a gun out of that. Are there any tracing patterns for guns that I could print out? Or do any of you have any other ideas?

JuuJuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-31-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
The Partisan

I have no expeirence with this, but here goes.

I would suggest drawing a pattern of the gun's outlined shape, then pin and copy the pattern on to the top of the slab. If foam is hard enough, use a coping saw to cut out the outline of the gun, leaving you with a general gun shape. From there, pencil in the details of the weapon onto the foam and commence shaving, wittling, and sanding down the foam to get the accuracy you want. All that's left is to paint it black and customize it.

Mind you, I have absolutely NO experience when it comes to this, so this is just the basics of the basics. Please consult with other people here before commencing to see if there are easier and more accurate ways to do this.

A phrase every bad-ass should live by.
The Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
astillar
Cosplay Engineer

Yeah, I doubt whatever paint you have will be safe to use with the foam. Well, maybe if it's plain ole latex. You should do a paint/foam test first to see if they're compatible. If not, you're going to have to figure out some sort of buffer layer; a lot of people prefer duct tape. That'll also give it a little extra strength. Now you can start carving.

astillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Tenebrae
Happy New Year!

Mmm...duct tape!
How about coating it in Elmer's Glue or something like that?

-Tenebrae.
Unread 10-31-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
SkippingSith
FOR GONDOR!

my wolfwood gun was constructed from the handle of a broken dollar store gun and a small pocky box, wrapped in several layers of duct tape and then painted silver again. So, yeah, duct tape is probably the smartest way to go, because paint adheres to it fairly easily. If you look at the general shape of the guns the Turks use, you can just copy the outline onto a piece of computer paper and trace it onto the foamboard. I suggest using cardboard for the trigger and hammer, though. It'll be more durable.
SkippingSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
JuuJuu

I just finished it so I'd have it done for the Halloween festival at CCU tonight and it looks great! Took all of your advice, made an outline of the Turks' gun, used a hot wire cutter to cut the shape of it out of the foam, and put the paint straight to it since I didn't have any duct tape. I guess I'm lucky that the paint went on there so nicely, because I wasn't sure.

Thank you all for your help.

JuuJuu is offline   Reply With Quote