Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Detour

Unread 11-14-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Katsuro

Anime Detour newbie~ ;3

Ok...so I've gathered three friends from MN over the 'net...and we've decided to go to Anime Detour as our first anicon XD

Two of us our coordinating our cosplays from Soul Calibur but

ANYWAYS

I was wondering 'How good is Anime Detour?' I mean...as far as Anime Conventions go; is this a nice one? I'm wondering about the quality of it~ Not that I'm really doubting it ATM.

Just wondering if any of you that went last year had a good time ;D
Katsuro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
Dakota
Is it cause I'm tan?

I'm one of those friends...wassup Katsu!

I'm curious as well...it's gonna be my first anime con, and my first cosplay. Is it as 1337 as they say?

...how much I rule
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
sylus
its a conspiricy

its actualy a realy good con.
it's not a big one well its kinda big but not a supper big one.
people are extreamly nice there.
you also get to actualy spend time talking to the guests (if they arnt busy that is) what i mean by this is there isnt 1000 people behind you waiting to meet the same person you are. so you can actaly say hi and talk about a few things with them.
they also have a wide variety of panels. so there is usualy something interesting you can go and do
also last but not least you definatly should go to the cosplay contest!, it's soo much fun.
hope you enjoy (also try to check out the opining cerimonies last year it was extreamly funny)
hope to see you there cant wait to see the cosplay1
sylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Katsuro

Well...sounds fun then ;D

MN is such a redneck state; it's no wonder there's not much of a line XD
Unread 11-15-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Depends on who you talk to. I haven't had much fun there but it's still a very young con trying to work out the kinks. I intend to minimize the chance of being disappointed this year by spending my entire time sitting behind a table in artist's alley, though I'm still not going to hold my breath on, say, the dance improving.

It's a small con with a lot of growing pains, and they don't always know how to run things the best way. The hotel is weird - not good for a con like this. The artist's alley/lounge is really swanky though.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #6
Zell dincht
The Magical Fanboy

who are you calling a redneck >_> i may be american but i am japanese at heart. i have gone both years it is extremly awesome and i really like it, the shops are good and we usualy get a good martial arts show ^^.
Alabasta Luffy 30%
Zell dincht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
GreenFire
I used to be sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuro

MN is such a redneck state
That was really uncalled for....

As usual, I agree with CapsuleCorp on this one.

But a word of warning: If you're an artist I wouldn't put art in the art show. I've been in contact with people and waiting for my check since last year.

Last edited by GreenFire : 11-15-2005 at 11:11 PM.
GreenFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
sylus
its a conspiricy

hey green fire thanks for the warining on the art show, i was actualy thinking about puttiing something in it this year. so honestly thanks! (i'm one of those people who get very upset when i put something out there and end up getting screw over with it, so i truly meen it thank you for the warning)

and i am not a red neck, i have watched enough jeff foxworthy to know that i am not a red neck. (also i never said there wasnt a line... its just depends on what you call a line. some cons you can be in line for houres for just one thing so it all depends on what you call a line)
Unread 11-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
Katsuro

Saying 'redneck' wasn't being literal~ XD We're just regarded as a state that's 'up in the woods'. And as far as Animecons go...we're not LA.

Anyways...I'm not an artist luckily, so no problems there. AD sounds fun at least ~
Unread 11-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
Dakota
Is it cause I'm tan?

So uh...I guess we learned no one tolerates anything here. He seriously didn't mean it as an insult when he said we live in a redneck state. Geez people, it's a joke.

And I'm mega excited about this con. I'm more excited about cosplaying than I am for the actual con...

...how much I rule
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 08:39 PM   #11
treasure_chan
Shower time! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp
... though I'm still not going to hold my breath on, say, the dance improving.
I thought last year's dance was awesome. o_O;; Good music, easy to dance to, and no ENGLISH VERSION OF POKEMON. That was god-awful. ^^;;

I've had a blast the past two years. Sure, there were things that coulda gone better, but it was still really fun. The only basis for comparison I really have though is one day of Otakon. While that was amazing, I almost actually liked Detour better than Otakon. ^^;; I like that it's a 24 hour con, that it's not HUGE, and that you can have a shot at going to a good chunk of what you actually wanna do instead of having to pick a few from a huuuge list. Last year's Detour was a big improvement over the first one, too. It can only get better. :3

Last edited by treasure_chan : 11-16-2005 at 08:42 PM.
treasure_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #12
Zell dincht
The Magical Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasure_chan
I thought last year's dance was awesome. o_O;; Good music, easy to dance to, and no ENGLISH VERSION OF POKEMON. That was god-awful. ^^;;

I've had a blast the past two years. Sure, there were things that coulda gone better, but it was still really fun. The only basis for comparison I really have though is one day of Otakon. While that was amazing, I almost actually liked Detour better than Otakon. ^^;; I like that it's a 24 hour con, that it's not HUGE, and that you can have a shot at going to a good chunk of what you actually wanna do instead of having to pick a few from a huuuge list. Last year's Detour was a big improvement over the first one, too. It can only get better. :3
agreed man.
Alabasta Luffy 30%
Zell dincht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:00 PM   #13
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasure_chan
Um, they played it TWICE. Within fifteen minutes of each other. because the second time someone requested it.

It was at that point that GreenFire and I said "let's go find the CONvergence room party instead" and never came back.

Compared to the con dances at CONvergence and AnimeCentral, AD is bogus. So I'm just going to find other places to be at that point in the night, maybe playing DDR or in room parties. Depends on how late they leave the artist's alley open - we might just still be there parked behind our table servicing fangirls.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #14
sylus
its a conspiricy

i knew you were joking... guess my reply didnt sound like it was... man is it hard to use sarcasum on a forum... yah i knew what ya ment dont worry about it...
Unread 11-17-2005, 10:31 AM   #15
treasure_chan
Shower time! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp
Um, they played it TWICE. Within fifteen minutes of each other. because the second time someone requested it.
Hum, I guess I wasn't there when they decided to play it. o_O I wasn't there for the entire first dance, and I don't remember hearing it at the second one, so I dunno. Sorry. All I remember is thinking "yay no English Pokemon song!"
^^;

And... I have a question. I really don't mean for this to sound rude or mean or anything, so don't take offense, but if you don't really think the con is that much fun, then why do you keep going? ^^; It seems silly to pay for a hotel room for the entire weekend, pay a registration fee, and drive all that way if you don't even really like it.
treasure_chan is offline   Reply With Quote