Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-21-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
SurrealTiggi

advice on Stellvia belt

im doing a Stellvia cosplay for local event in feb, Shoujin Ritsuo to be precise, and ive been playing around with ideas for the belt and reached what i think is the best option. just wanted to share it and hear if anyone has some advice or better alternatives

will try to post some sketches by tomorrow, but in the meantime ill just try to be as descriptive as i can.

so basically, i want to make it out of wood, and carve out the details. but since its a belt, it has to be removable. so i was thinking of cutting out 2 identical semi-circular shapes to make up the bulk of it.
the front grey part, and the distinct back part, will be separate from these 2 halves.
the two semi-circles will be connected at both ends via springs, that way it wont fall off for being loose, but ill still be able to take it off. then the front part and the back part are to attach somehow to their respective sides so as to hide the springs and make the whole thing look seamless. im still unsure how ill do that.

anyway, thats about it, i know how to go about painting from other threads.
so what does everyone think? anything at all i need to take into account?
any advice is greatly appreciated.

heres a quick pic i threw together for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt.jpg (34.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by SurrealTiggi : 11-21-2005 at 12:57 PM.
SurrealTiggi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Tenebrae
Happy New Year!

Why not use thick leather or plastic instead?
The front looks kind of like a big buckle, but the back looks kind of like those plastic clasp buckles you find on backpacks and the like. If I were making it, I'd make the front piece decorative and put the clasp in the back part and forget about using wood. It doesn't really look wooden to me in the pictures you posted.

-Tenebrae.
Unread 11-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
SurrealTiggi

yeah i know it looks nothing like wood, thats why i was planning on giving the bulk of it(white area) a sort of plasticky look with the paintjob, and giving the front piece a rough metallic look.

i actually like the idea of using clasps, i think ill go for that instead of springs.
but im not so sure about making the back part a clasp. i mean id have to find a fairly large one, and if i did, how would i make it look similar to that one? at least with woodwork i have some experience.
Unread 11-22-2005, 01:30 AM   #4
Nachoman
Workmanship Nazi

If you have experience in woodwork, then make a wooden chain-belt, not a waist-sized handcuff!
If you knew how uncomfortable such a thing can get, you wouldn't even consider it. It will rub you raw after a few hours, even if you are just sitting somewhere.
If you don't believe me, try sticking as many comfortable-looking pieces of wooden offal under your belt, and adjust the belt enough for none of them to fall. Now just go on with your businesses, and unless you are a big-time couch potato, the wood will be rubbing you the wrong way really really soon.
You could argue that you might be really good at carving, but your body changes. Will the thing still fit the same if you loose or gain a pair of pounds? Will you need to go to the bathroom every five minutes because otherwise the front buckle starts rubbing you right on the bladder? Will you need to go hungry as it starts rubbing you when you are full? Will it not close if you actually go and buy one of those abs-excercising machines?

Carve the buckles if you want, and even try carving everything on wood, but if you do, do so in short segments.

Last edited by Nachoman : 11-22-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Nachoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Celebrimbor
Banned

I'd use an army surplus gunbelt (white), cut in half and attached to a wooden circular front piece, and worn backwards to have the orignal gunbelt quick connector in the back.
Celebrimbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
SurrealTiggi

well the idea is that it wont function as a belt per-se, but it'll have the functionality of one in the sense that it should be able to come on and off with ease.
it shouldnt be too tight, just enough that my natural waist can support it. plus ill also be wearing a jacket underneath so hopefully i wont get any excess rubbing.

so far ive somewhat encorporated the clasp idea which is hopefully visible in the rough sketch ive provided below. with clasps in the front and the back, it should effectively make it a 4 part belt(2x semi-circles, front+back pieces) and also allow me to adjust it fairly easily. ive also tried to break down each part into simpler pieces that when put together, should come across as a better effort than carving them out as wholes.

im still not sure how im going to do the back part, and im not yet 100% satisfied with the front buckle. basically i need those two as individual detachable parts, that can hide both pairs of clasps.

ill have a look at that army belt, but im not sure if id be able to get one so easily. and i want to make this thing look as close as possible to the original (obviously )

in any case thanx for all the input so far everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beltsketch1.jpg (101.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by SurrealTiggi : 11-22-2005 at 02:12 PM.