Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 02-07-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Sciguy
Agent R

What do you think about Crossplay?

I think that Crossplay is nifty! I'm trying to talk a guy I know to lend me his crossplay and Kigurumi stuff for Otakon. With any luck, I'll get to try it out. Now, I'm not gay or anything, but crossplay sounds like it could be rather fun. I'll try almost anything once!

Thoughts?
Sciguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
Nine
The busty one!

Crossplay has nothing to do with being gay or lesbian! Don't even concider worrying about people here assuming you're gay for crossplaying. I happen to be gay, but I don't crossplay because I'm gay. Apparently, a lot of people who don't understand the concept of cosplaying think I'm denying to myself and believe my crossplaying is a sick way of flaunting my homosexuality, but cosplay and sexual orientation are two totally different things! ^^d

My cosplay list for Sakuracon consists of 5 females, and one "it" XD

Lulu from Final Fantasy X
Naga from Slayers
Officer Jenny from Pokemon
BT from .hack//SIGN
Millerna from Escaflowne
Gema from DiGi Charat

^^

Last edited by Nine : 02-07-2003 at 05:51 PM.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
psythe

well said nine ^_^

It's all about being in the costume of the character you love, so if you wanna do a character of the opposite sex, by all means go for it. And don't worry about what others think.
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 06:29 PM   #4
soshi
onna kaizoku

before I started getting to know other cosplayers online, I didn't even know the term 'crossplay' existed. I always figured you just dressed up as whoever you liked . gender never even popped into my mind.

... and I still think you should just dress up as whoever you like, gender be damned. ^___^
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 06:39 PM   #5
Pendrell
yea for thou art kickass.

Tellin' it like it is, soshi
I pretty much felt the same way-- that gender really doesn't figure into the concept of cosplay. You can cosplay who you want to when you want to. XP
Unread 02-07-2003, 06:53 PM   #6
MonoyashaJLA
Creature creator

I personally don't think crossplaying is a big deal. I just like crossplaying because the men costumes are easier to wear and less relealing. 0-0
MonoyashaJLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 07:47 PM   #7
Cocoa
Wielder of the spork.

Crossplay is fun! I don't really have the proper body shape to do a lot of my favorite female characters, however I'm bishounen-sized, so I do the guys instead. And Nine, if you see a 5'7" 20 year old girl wearing Subaru Sumeragi's shikifuku, with a rather intimdateing female Seishirou, at Sakuracon, give the Subaru a hug and tell her Cocoa says hi. Mostly because I want to go, and I can't...so some one else has to give the free hugs for me ^^
-Cocoa
Cocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 09:06 PM   #8
Menchi
Tee hee <3

me i see nothing wrong with crossplay at all. revealing or not seems most female costumes are more recognizable. *shrugs* have yet to do a male char yet XD even though i know i will soon, friends of mine remind me of it all the time ^^;;
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 09:11 PM   #9
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

I love crossplay @_@ (maybe it's because it's easier for me to pull off a bishonen than try to stuff enough to resemble your average anime chick ^_~)

I get really irked when people try to bring "wrongness" or sexuality into it...all of my costumes are just that: costumes. We're doing it for fun!

Hmm, I've never actually done this, but I also rather like female versions of male costumes ^_^ They can be really cute! I can't recall actually having SEEN the other way around, male versions of female costumes (maybe I have and didn't realize it) but I've seen some designs for a couple and they looked cool too. But that's not really crossplay, as Ali rambles off-topic ^_~
Ali-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 09:26 PM   #10
Sciguy
Agent R

I didn't mean to relate homosexuality with crossplay, Nine. Gomen nasai for mispeaking.

I'd love to do a crossplay. My friends like to tease me about my feminine physique and I'm already bishounen with my now-long hair. My friend's father once said, "damn boy, you've got the smallest hands I've ever seen," and another friend said, "seriously, he looks like a girl from behind!" Also, I'm 5'9" and only 130 pounds so it'd be easy for me to pull off a believable girl cosplay.

All I really need is someway of making certain physical changes and either a mask (which I may be able to borrow from a guy I know, along with the actual costumes and whatnot) or someone who would be able to do my makeup well enough to make me look like a girl. Any volunteers? lol
Sciguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 09:32 PM   #11
Nine
The busty one!

hehe.. thats ok!

...i wouldnt expect to pass for a girl but its really scary that I can pull off some of these cosplays! XD
Unread 02-07-2003, 10:48 PM   #12
Hikaru Tsuki
Glorificent

Quote:
Originally posted by Nine
hehe.. thats ok!

...i wouldnt expect to pass for a girl but its really scary that I can pull off some of these cosplays! XD
Well, there was that one group of kids at our first Cosplay party that thought you were a girl in your Lulu costume. XD

When it comes to chosing my costumes, gender never matters. I cosplay characters I like, simple as that. And me being a total fangirl, most of my costumes are guys, so I usually crossplay. It's all good. ^^
Hikaru Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 11:49 PM   #13
Miroku
To the Golden Land!

Crossplay is fine with me as long as you are doing it in a tasteful manner, and you are dressing up as a character because you genuinely like the chracter. If you are doing as a desperate attempt for attention, the no I dont think its a good idea. But that applies to normal old cosplay as well.
Miroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 02:05 AM   #14
cyankirby
I'm coming for you...

I have to agree with everyone else. I myself am going to a con dressed as Roy from Fire Emblem partially because none of my friends will dress as him and also because he's a really cool character. I have no problem dressing as him and I don't think anyone else does either. A costume is just a costume and its all for fun anyway so why not!
cyankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 03:20 AM   #15
Nine
The busty one!

Quote:
Originally posted by Miroku
If you are doing as a desperate attempt for attention, the no I dont think its a good idea.
I'm crossplaying naga for desprite attention lol