Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Cosplay.com на русском языке

Unread 09-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
bronislav84

Brooklyn, NY: Looking for help explaining cosplay to old-fashioned 67-year old mom

I doubt I'll get anyone, but worth a shot.

I was all set to do my first cosplay, then this happened: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=364284 (Reading this first is very important)

Here's the deal. I came to USA from Ukraine at 6 years old so nowadays I am as close to a native born as I can get. My home language is Russian. I have no accent when speaking English (Unless you count Brooklynese lol), think in English, prefer it, and my vocabulary has gotten so big there are words I just cannot say in Russian because I don't know how. See when I speak Russian nowadays, I'm really speaking English with real time word for word translation modified for phrases I know how to say. Like I think English and it comes out in Russian, but this is only good until I run into a word I don't know the meaning of in Russian, so I run into problems translating. It's actually gotten so bad over time that my reading is on the level of someone who's just learning the language, cause I'm out of practice for the most part. And I do use Google Translate sometimes too.

I'm just trying to get into cosplay so I cannot accurately explain why people do it, what's so good/cool about it, and why people who do it aren't crazy weirdoes. I just don't have enough information and sources. My mom is very old fashioned and I feel only 'my people' who come from the former USSR can understand the kind of controlling parent I have. USA logic just doesn't apply.

I'm looking for someone experienced in cosplay who can come to where I live, sit down with mom in person, and explain to her in full native Russian with no speaking or translation issues why cosplay is so cool and why she should let me do it.

Hopefully I'll make a new cosplay friend or two out of this, but if you're just looking to be compensated for your time and never see us again I guess we can discuss money. I mean if offering money for such a thing is even allowed? First I have to find someone, then we'll discuss by PM how you can contact me IRL.

But please can anyone help me? Thanks!

One last thing: If someone exists who lives nearby, please don't reply IN Russian, if possible. My reading of the language is atrocious. I kinda refuse to believe nobody from Brighton Beach where there's a multitude of Russian speakers goes to these forums, but hey it's possible.

Last edited by bronislav84 : 09-30-2016 at 10:57 AM.
bronislav84 is offline   Reply With Quote