Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 08-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Jellyguy

Monster Musume Suu crossplay help

Hi!

I'm a guy who has never cosplayed before, and I was thinking of cosplaying as Suu from Monster Musume for London Comic Con. As this is my first time, I'd really appreciate some advice on how to go about this.

I have a rough plan for items to buy for the cosplay:

• Long raincoat
  • Yellow shorts if the raincoat is not long enough. Otherwise regular shorts
  • Rain boots
  • Blue body paint
  • Green wig
  • Yellow dye for the tips of the wig

I have no idea how to go about the tube thing on the top of Suu's head. I'm happy to leave this out, as well as other details if they're too much of a hassle. I'm on a low-ish budget so it this may be necessary if it costs too much.

I don't plan on going on an all-out feminine look, this is more of a rule 63 crossplay.

In case body type is important, I'm fairly pale, chunky, kinda hairy (not too much chest hair) and 6'1" with a beard, so this cosplay will probably turn out to be a bit ridiculous - I'm looking forward to it!

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks for reading
Jellyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
milkcosplay

well, the "tube" thing definitely seems to be part of her hair. so i'd say look up some tutorials for creating "antennas" in wigs and use them for that piece; although it should be a much thicker piece of hair as hers is. as far as the rest of the outfit; are you wanting to replicate this outfit exactly or do you wanna do a gender bend? 'rule 63' and 'cross play' are kind of two separate things, so im not sure what you're trying to achieve; rule 63 meaning you make the character into the "opposite sex" version (which is a meh concept anyway, but i digress) and then cross playing meaning you dress up like a character of a different gender, so you, as a male, would be cosplaying a female.

if you want to do a cross play version, just get the outfit like normal (it shouldn't be too hard to piece together, as its just a raincoat and boots) i don't know if you know anything about sewing, but adding some bias tape along the bottom of the coat and along the hem of the sleeves would make it more accurate to the character. same goes with on top of the boots, but those might have to be painted (or really, you can paint all of them with fabric paint if you aren't comfortable sewing. just make sure your lines are straight using something like masking tape to get a perfect line). get some blue body paint; i don't know much about that since ive yet to cosplay a character with an abnormal skin tone like that, but im sure more people have more experience in different kinds of paints (or arm socks). if you wanted to do a more rule 63 version, then… i mean, her outfit isn't super feminine anyway. i'd just say to make the hair shorter, maybe open the coat up and put (yellow?) pants on so the silhouette of the overall outfit is more masculine.

Last edited by milkcosplay : 08-20-2015 at 05:31 PM.
milkcosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Jellyguy

Sorry, I should have clarified. This is more of a rule 63 cosplay. Thank you for your advice
Unread 08-24-2015, 03:55 AM   #4
uguuu

Considering that Suu is a slime, something like sculpted expanding foam may be more appropriate for "hair" than a wig.
uguuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Jellyguy

Interesting! Would it be difficult to make?
Unread 08-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
uguuu

I imagine that depends on how you define difficult. You could try something similar to how this horned helmet was made by Chrix design...

The "hair" might require some wire support inside if you decide to make it long.
uguuu is offline   Reply With Quote