Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 08-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Braber01

MtF Crossplayers, What 'enjoyment' do you get out of crossplaying

As a side note I think my dad is starting to become a little more open to cosplay so I can eventually gather up resources and start making a costume

Quote:
Mish Yuuna What can I do for Youu?
Braber01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Well, I get to run around in cool outfits, I have people begging for photo ops and hugs, and my girlfriend thinks it's kinda hot.

Pretty simple, really.

Okay, also I get to chip away at the gender binary, which I think is kind of bullshit. But that's a little more complicated.

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
builder396
Crossplayer

Well, there are a lot more female characters than male ones in total, so it obviously gives me a bigger selection, especially since male characters often look kind of bland and normal. There are a lot of characters where i would need only minimal effort to cosplay them, like normal clothes, or sometimes even just colored hair and a bracelet.

Thats the reason basically, one of them at least, but the joy i take in it, i think its just a kind of freedom, getting past my gender, doing stuff a normal guy wouldnt, being someone entirely else, not even being restricted by my gender in that way.

But better ask me again after gamescom.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Really my enjoyment for female cosplays is the same as for males..I just think the characters are awesome, and being able to do both genders of characters makes it so I don't need to go "well crap, can't do that one then". So the enjoyment I get from either is the fact that it let's me do the ones I like, regardless of gender
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Brachyura
Crabhammer

Because I'm a troll. I'm also selfish.

Because I get a sick satisfaction in doing something I'm not "supposed to". So much so that it's taken to the logical extreme with proper attire, cosmetics and so on. It really isn't to make some sort of LGBT-friendly statement. (Even though I am LGBT-friendly.) It isn't about chipping away at gender-specific clothing or rulesets or other sociologically important issues—I crave attention and confrontation. So much can be gleaned about what kind of person someone really is in the first ten seconds of reaction upon meeting them. I relish in the friends I make from it. I make no issue out of it because I don't even want there to be an issue in the first place and I'll continue rustling jimmies until there are none left in the jar to rustle.

Most importantly, I enjoy cosplay. Greatly. There is no inherent greater value in one set of cosplay compared to the others and I shall not tolerate someone telling me I can't do something because it makes them uncomfortable.

For those with little wings have not accepted for themselves the power to share with you.
Brachyura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 03:03 AM   #6
CobaltTempest

Because I cosplay characters regardless of what gender they are. Wearing skirts and other similar garments can be quite comfortable. Also, there is the potential and priceless confusion others experience and exclaim upon running into you in a public restroom given that you are convincing enough!

My cosplay/photography work
Facebook | tumblr | deviantArt | World Cosplay

Yaoi-Con 2014 - MAYBE

Pacific Media Expo 2014
Kagamine Rin (Christmas) - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva
Kosaka Honoka (僕らは今のなかで) - Love Live! School Idol Project
CobaltTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
meb9000

For me, crossplay is a fun extension of the main reason that I cosplay: Stepping into the shoes of one of my favorite characters for a day. Cosplay in general allows me to have fun impersonating a great fictional character, and crossplay lets me truly step outside the normal boundaries of everyday life. There are so many great female characters in games and anime, so why be limited by gender? The extra challenge involved in MTF crossplay can be daunting, but it is real fun trying on outfits that are so different from normal male clothing and heck, skirts are pretty damn comfortable during hot conventions!

Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite)

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney series)

Weiss Schnee (RWBY)

Gray Fullbuster (Fairy Tail)
meb9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
ShiroKanade
Yay Life Fibers

Skirts are comfy. Plus being a skinny person, its easier to cos the girls(minus the big booby ones) and have fun.

The attention is a nice added bonus.

Katsucon 2015
ShiroKanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
builder396
Crossplayer

Now that Gamescom is over i can probably answer this question a bit better than before. There were lots of things I enjoyed about my crossplay, though some overlap a bit with what normal cosplayers experience as well. Excuse any typos, im stilllacking a lot of sleep.

First thing was a lot of people looking at me. There was an incredible variety in their reactions, sometimes admiration of my looks, others trying to figure out what character i am, next ones are a bit confused again, and also jealousy sometimes. Also, very rarely, you can see some distinct dissatisfaction. Overall though I did enjoy this kind of attention and i would repeat this anyday

The next thing was the general confusion about my gender. For the record, the first 3 1/2 days i only had a bit powder mainly to cover up my constantly regrowing beard (its impossible to 100% shave off a dark beard and expect nothing to be visible afterwards, and it grows back from smooth to scratchy within hours too. I SWEAR next time i do this i will wax my bloody face no matter what!), though the first and last day are exceptions to this. The first day I only powdered my face once, so the powder got rubbed and sweated off after a few hours, and also had only shaved on the evening before instead of the same morning, adding an entire night of beard growth, so everyone easily could see that im a guy. Also, on the last day a free-hug-girl i met the day before offered to do my makeup, so around noon on the last day she did some very nice makeup on my face, so i would stop looking like "a very ugly guy" and instead like "a very ugly girl" (Ill set that as avatar in a bit). Either way, whenever i had any proper makeup most people were fooled upt to the instant i opened my mouth, though there were exceptions.
Saturday morning I met a guy on the train, I was actually trying to sleep (i only have had 4 hours sleep), and he asked me something about the train, i answered and went back to sleep. We later got to know each other a bit more, and he told me that in this instant he actually thought i was a girl because for some reason i had a higher pitch voice than usual without even noticing.
But overall people were very friendly about it, and there were some instances of my fake boobs being felt up (usually trying to figure out what theyre made of), and i was once compared favorably to a 2 meter tall brick of a guy who crossplayed Doremi (some older magical girl anime about girls who were at best 12 i think, i only watched it as a small child, so my memory of it is very foggy).

The next thing were lots of people talking to you. Nobody in the world would without any real cause talk to a normal guy, but if you see a crossplaying guy, or what the other person probably thought i was, a cosplaying girl, people very often start talking to you, even for smalltalk, also a lot of other cosplayers, and you get talking about a lot of things and really make a lot new friends.
Thursday: Definitely had the most photographers, including a russian one who blabbered russian at me, didnt even repeat after i said "What?" (in english mind you), so i just smiled and he took a photo, again said something in russian and left. (cant understand such guys, going into other countries and expect everybody to speak your language there, inconsiderate bastard i call that). Another guy actually recognized my character an wanted a photo. Overall most people were rather polite though.
What I did do, was leave an impression at the Warthunder Booth, since that was my first stop because of the Oculus Rift. They had a bald guy as an Entertainer, and he did a quite decent job entertaining the crows with small games and quizzes. He also let the queue for the Oculus Rift take part in the quizzes, and I ended up actually correcting him on one answer (It was about the number of Nations in Warthunder, guy next to me said 5, I said 9 since there are italian planes in the german tree, and also canadian, new zealand and australian planes in the british one). I actually returned a couple of times except for sunday.
Also on the train back i talked to some older guy for a while who wasnt at gamescom himself, he at first suspected i had a lost bet or something like that, but he was a nice guy overall and we talked for a while.
Friday: Also rather uneventful for the most part, the first 2 days i spent mostly at the halls 6-9 where the games were at. I of course visited the Warthunder booth again and obviously baldie recognized me. He also had a british co-moderator, and they set up a 6vs6 match germans vs brits on PCs they had next to the stage. Obviously baldie chose me since i obviously knew the game. I had loads of fun in the match. Once had to return to base because a spit knocked out my engine. Then i got back up, just to do a head on attack on another spitfire, in the end his right wing broke off and i flew straight through that gap with half a meter breathing room (to bad they didnt show that on the stream or stage), and later i made a belly landing thanks to a typhoon taking out the landing gear, which actually got shown on stage and in the stream, with both moderators commenting on that.
I generally really enjoyed that.
Also I met 2 guys on the train back who lived near me by coincidence and we kept talking for the entire train ride.
Saturday: That morning I met that other guy who thought i was a girl because of my half-asleep-voice, but after all we ended up talking and got friends and actually ended up spending the last 2 days gamescom together. His parents instantly liked me based on a picture somehow.
Also, again at the Warthunder booth i took part in a quiz again and quite well won, since it was pretty much about historical stuff which i know tons about. After that he wanted the girls in the audience to assemble in front of the stage to give them T-shirts. I stayed in the back ranks of the audience, since he and i well knew i wasn't a girl. So, in front of half a dozen girls, he turned around throwing the shirts over his back...way over the girls... and I out of all people catched it. Half the audience just cracked up laughing.
Sunday was also quite nice, in the morning I met a cosplayer group (3 girls and a guy), one of the girls after a while i recognized as england from Hetalia (yay, I am not the only crossplayer), and we exchanged numbers. We kept talking for a while too, and they were quite a fun bunch, we met them again in the evening on the way to the trains.
I also had my makeup done by that free-hug-girl from the day before, and it added a lot to my convincingness-coefficient, we also spent a bit of time together around cosplay village.
On the train we also met a girl i at first thought to be japanse (actually russian, some russians also have these typical asian eyes, usually more east in siberia for example). She was very cute and also was at gamescom, but she had missed a train (just as we did because my friend was chasing after every cosplay with boobs (including me)).
In the end she had to get out the same station I did, but she had to go a lot further in different trains, and because she missed that earlier train, she had no practical way home (quickest route would have taken 8 hours, 5 of which was just waiting for the next train), so I did the only reasonable thing and let her stay with me over night, so she became the only person at gamescom who got to see me with and without costume.

My guess is that being a cosplayer, and even more if youre a crossplayer, people automatically consider you a nice and kind person, i assume its because as a cosplayer you have to rely a lot on other people being kind to you, as in not harassing you or anything, so youre kind yourself because you know how important kindness is overall, and as a crossplayer even more, since you offer a lot more to be harassed for because of the cross-gender factor.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:

Last edited by builder396 : 08-18-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
morinori

Why? Just because girl costumes are usually much cuter, and it's fun to look kawaiiii.

Don't want to get into a huge thing about gender norms, but I think it's really silly that it's socially unacceptable for males to embrace their cute side
morinori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #11
PioPico

With applying all the makeup and wearing revealing clothing, it's about the fascination of passing off as a girl. I enjoy seeing people's reactions from people that really think I'm a girl.
PioPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
griffti6

i just decided on a whim to try it out and a blast with it...i enjoy doing it because somehow i pass as a female to most people at first..but then i talk and the reactions i get are just priceless and great memories to reflect upon. though i haven't done it in awhile i'd never turn down the chance to run around in a dress/skirt to twists peoples mind ^_^
Unread 08-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
Fei-Hung

I think that naturally mixing drag with cosplay is going to yield fabulous results.

Seriously though, mega big thanks to literature like Ranma 1/2 for virtually demanding the reality of crossplay through it's very existence.

https://twitter.com/NinjaSaizo

Come network with us about cosplay and more on Twitter and Youtube.
Fei-Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
builder396
Crossplayer

Ranma? What about Kämpfer! Now THAT is something that demands crossplaying! Its the bastard child of Ranma AND Sailor Moon.

(So many people thought I cosplayed Sailor Moon, Why!?)

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Unread 08-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder396 View Post
Ranma? What about Kämpfer! Now THAT is something that demands crossplaying! Its the bastard child of Ranma AND Sailor Moon.

(So many people thought I cosplayed Sailor Moon, Why!?)
Thought you cosplayed Sailor Moon? Did they say that exactly? Or did the say Sailor Mercury? I ask because if you went in the cosplay in your avatar there, it's a short blue haired in a sailor uniform..That's what Sailor Mercury is..The hair is very similar so..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote