Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 10-16-2014, 02:18 AM   #1
Anna Renée
Photographer

Crossplay Outside of Cons in Public

So, because there are SO many threads in this section, I have no idea if there's a thread like this one or not but here goes-

We've heard some stories about Crossplaying and going to con bathrooms (or non con bathrooms) and other peoples' reactions to it. But what about reactions outside of cons while Cossplaying in non Cosplay/Crossplay territory? I have some great stories about going out places with my dad or both of my parents while in full Crossplay.

One story was quite recent- Naraku the Half-Demon walking around in Walmart *Except I didn't have the hair on but instead had a three-eyed purple horned monster hat on from D&Bs*. I had some woman laugh at me and some "WTF?" stares from adults and kids that stared up at me in utter confusion.

Story two- Number 9 Coal mine in PA. It happened to be that I went with my dad on International Cosplay Day. I went dressed as Shikamaru Nara (Naruto - Gennin). There weren't too many looks but this kid that was helping his uncle who volunteered there as a maintenance guy and tour guide actually recognized who I was and what I was from.

Story three- Wearing a wig without the rest of the Cosplay. I wore my one wig when I was out with my mom at the grocery store and someone I had gone to school with was working there had actually thought the wig was really my real hair.

So those are my stories thus far. I had also gone out with my Stein wig on once to Sheetz and my friend's co-worker who knew me through her though that hair was my real hair as well. I have yet to go out in full Stein just to see how others will react to a screw on my head and dressed in a lab coat covered in stitches. XD What are some of your own memorable stories about going out on Crosspay to public places? And if you don't have a story, do you or would you go out in your Crossplay other than for a con?

Attending Conventions:
Otakon- Katsucon
Future Attending Conventions:
Zenkaikon
Cosplays:
Uzumaki Naruto- Orochimaru- Nara Shikamaru
Dr. Franken Stein- Maka Albarn
Naraku
Demyx- Zexion
Anna Renée is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Crossplaying outside of a convention seems like a lot of work - the costumes I have are complicated, elaborate and, in all honestly, not very comfortable. It's a lot of effort for very little reward.

I'll stick to good ol' fashion crossdressing in my everyday life. That seems easier for now.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #3
builder396
Crossplayer

Well, I can pretty much deliver on a good story.

It was the first time i wore my Natsuru costume outside my doorstep. The costume had arrived one day late after carnival, which was supposed to be a kind of test run for the con later that year (which was a success for me). Natsuru Senou from Kämpfer is normally a guy who transforms into a girl because of reasons, and i crossplayed the female version, with the typical sailor style school uniform.
I did tell my mother partially about me getting a costume, but I hadnt told her what exactly it was, so she asked me to come over to her workplace (shes a barber) in costume, so I did.
Everyone else would have packed the costume in a bag or something else and taken the train ride in normal clothes. I just went in my costume instead.
Well, my mom actually called me "pretty", which i think is the first time since i was 6. She was overall pretty delighted by that, since i actually got a bit out of my comfort zone, which is according to her no more than 5 meters around my PC.

Anyway, we went outside to grab something to eat (there was some sort of market set up nearby). I did provoke a couple of stares, and I think there even was a comment by one of the stand owners who was shouting through a megaphone.
But the best happened on the way back.

Like all mothers, mine couldnt go five meters without meeting someone she knows and I have never seen in my life. It, naturally, was another mother, who was out with 2 of her daughters, around 12-14 i guess. I stayed a few steps back as to not draw too much attention, when my mother suddenly points at me and says: "May I introduce: My son!"

My face color suddenly went tomato, and the other mother and her daughters face went from curiosity into utter disbelief and barely contained laughter.

Planned cosplays:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)
Black Rock Shooter (Black Rock Shooter)
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Eucliwood Hellscythe (Kore wa Zombie desu ka?)

Maybes:
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
Ayumu Aizawa (Kore was Zombie desu ka?)
Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Shinji Ikari (Neon genesis Evangelion)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Anna Renée
Photographer

@builder396 Wow. Sounds like you were very convincing. Was the barely contained laughter in a good or bad way though? And thank you for sharing your story

@Eau de Decus When it's not a super amount of work, it can be a lot of fun. I guess with the fact that all of mine minus one are fairly simple and aren't larger or would get in the way I tend to Crossplay outside of cons a lot. The only one that may pose a little bit of a problem is Naraku mostly because it's a kimono style outfit and a pain to use a bathroom in.

Attending Conventions:
Otakon- Katsucon
Zenkaikon
Cosplays:
Naraku
Demyx- Zexion
Unread 10-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
builder396
Crossplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Renée View Post
@builder396 Wow. Sounds like you were very convincing. Was the barely contained laughter in a good or bad way though? And thank you for sharing your story
it was in a good way.

Lets just see what happens with my hatsune miku crossplay when i take that out for the exact same purpose.

Planned cosplays:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)
Black Rock Shooter (Black Rock Shooter)
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Eucliwood Hellscythe (Kore wa Zombie desu ka?)

Maybes:
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
Ayumu Aizawa (Kore was Zombie desu ka?)
Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Shinji Ikari (Neon genesis Evangelion)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I can't..If I could, I would, but not even most of my family can know..I'll never hear the end of it, and I will probably be disowned by most of them..My mom and dad know but that's it as far as family..When I see things on TV about transgender (MtF) people or other crossdressing males, my step dad and brothers are HORRIBLE..They say the worst things you could ever say to someone..So I can't imagine what they'd say to me..I'd rather not test it.

Most of the people in my city are horrible little aholes too..So I wouldn't go out like that.

However, we DID have a "cosplay meet up" in another city, one where no one knows me..I did it there, but we weren't really in a crowded place or anywhere where a lot of people were noticing us. But I was crossdressing there..So that's my only time outside of a con. It's way different when you're in a city where no one knows you..
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
Anna Renée
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
I can't..If I could, I would, but not even most of my family can know..I'll never hear the end of it, and I will probably be disowned by most of them..My mom and dad know but that's it as far as family..When I see things on TV about transgender (MtF) people or other crossdressing males, my step dad and brothers are HORRIBLE..They say the worst things you could ever say to someone..So I can't imagine what they'd say to me..I'd rather not test it.

Most of the people in my city are horrible little aholes too..So I wouldn't go out like that.

However, we DID have a "cosplay meet up" in another city, one where no one knows me..I did it there, but we weren't really in a crowded place or anywhere where a lot of people were noticing us. But I was crossdressing there..So that's my only time outside of a con. It's way different when you're in a city where no one knows you..
Wow. That's horrible. I'm sorry that you have to have that around you. At least the good thing is that when you're in another state/city that you can be free of most judgement and hate and able to Crossplay outside of cons.

Attending Conventions:
Otakon- Katsucon
Zenkaikon
Cosplays:
Naraku
Demyx- Zexion
Unread 10-16-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Renée View Post
Wow. That's horrible. I'm sorry that you have to have that around you. At least the good thing is that when you're in another state/city that you can be free of most judgement and hate and able to Crossplay outside of cons.
Thank you for that. Well, it's not all bad..My mom helps me pic out things and I give her the money to buy things I need when it comes to this stuff, and OH!! My dad's gf also knows, she helps me with patterns and stuff (she sews, but she can't seem to just follow the instructions I give her to sew up something..But I have gotten shit at cons too. I have already posted my Lolita rant on here so I won't go into it again, but it wasn't that good..But I talk back to people I don't know so..
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

I love going out for a quick bite with friends while still in costume. At Shore Leave, I was wearing the black vinyl steampunk gown, with hat and parasol; we realized we hadn't eaten and wouldn't be for another six hours, so we stopped in Panera on the way over from our hotel.

I had several people walk up and tell me how much they loved my outfit and wanted to know the details of the outfit and if I was supposed to be anyone they heard of. A six-year-old boy stopped his mom, pointed and said "Mommy, mommy, look at the pretty dress!" Lotsa smiles and happiness!

Also, my sandwich was very good that day

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #10
MarcyHunter

I'm not saying this is crossplay but I wear my cheerleader uniform as a volunteer to a good number of mud runs and some 5K events. As a matter of fact, I just got back from the Haunt Jaunt in Plano, TX.

Funny thing is that some people thought I was a real woman and I barely did anything to make myself look real. I literally, figuratively speaking, threw on some makeup - and got some on my uniform and wig - in the restroom at the park. As usual, it was a hit and several people asked me to pose with them for pictures.

Now out of respect for others I keep my cheerleader character in the proper arena until it is within the two weekends of Halloween. I almost stopped by Walgreen's tonight to get some beer on the way home - just to have some fun - but I opted out because I didn't want to be offensive to any customers. (There were quite a few cars in the parking lot) It's just not close enough to Halloween to have a really valid excuse.

But the next two weekends are fair game and I'm gonna be on the loose. I'm even PLANNING on making a trip to Walmart to pick up some party food with some other costumers. It's gonna be fun!

So what I'm mostly concerned about is being respectful to others.
That's all I can think of for now.

Marcy