Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 12-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
MarikLaw
THE Marik

New Digital Camera

Okay, so Im looking for a new digital camera cause the Dual-Mode one I have sucks as a digital camera and...well...sucks as a Webcam too, so Im looking for something that'll just function as a digital camera. The reason the one I have now sucks is cause it doesnt take pictures very good in low-light environments such as indoors (in big con buildings for instance), even with flash on the pictures turn out very dark and...well...25% of the time flat out unusable. Plus, to make the thing even worse, it doesnt have any zoom functionality, no preview screen, and no way to turn the Auto-Focus off, not to mention you have to manually set the exposure to match the lighting conditions, which is a real pain in the behind.

So Im looking to spend about $200-$500 (Canadian) on a new Digital Camera and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Prefferably one that has Auto-Exposure and the ability to Manual Focus for those objects that are just too tiny to pick up with the Auto-Focus (like miniatures).

Unread 12-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

Many of the mid-range cameras, which are probably priced right in that range, will have some sort of manual focus feature, though not much of one. I suspect that it might be better to hit up a digital photography site though for particulars, such as DPReview. New models are constantly coming out, and it's hard to keep up, frankly. Better yet, go to a store that carries digital cameras, and actually try them out.

From personal experience, I'm pretty sure the mid to high range Sonys & Canons should definitely have those capabilities to some limited extent. The mega zoom style cameras (5-10x zooms, classified by their massive lenses relative to body size) might also be worth looking into for those capabilities.
Unread 12-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Ami Yuy
Not an active mod
Site Moderator

I don't know about the manual focus, but as jtnishi said check DPReview.com (it's you're best friend when trying to compare digital cameras) for specs.

You definately don't want anything under 3 megapixels though, but as 5 has become VERY cheap lately, I'm sure you could find a great one for your price range, possibly even with manual focus like you want.
Ami Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Hmmm.. I agree with all thats been said, Ill reiterate about dpreview, and letting your OWN preference play a large part. Both very important.

Although, I must admit that it is SUPER DUPER rare that I've EVER use manual focus. Auto focus has become for more precise than my eye could ever deliver, and USUALLY much faster. Having AF zones is nice, however. When I'm shooting to lack focus, I USUALLY just AF somwhere else and lock the AF. Of course, my AE and AF arent linked, which helps.

The only time Ive really used manual is if i am impatient, or need a shot fast of sports that my auto searches and searches for a lock.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Odango
::wink::

Try the Nikon P1 or P2. Also the Sony W-series. They're a little older models but I must admit, Sony was ahead of it's time when they released those. ^_^ They include hybrid LCD's which will compensate for those tricky low light situations. If your looking for details, go SLR. The D50 is an excellent camera, but the D70 has RAW option. ^__________^ Then again if your looking for in the $200 ... well there's some nice Canon's but they don't really give you much control over your options. But I have to agree with the others, DPreview.com is your best choice when choosing a digital camera.

Go Nikon ^_^!

Last edited by Odango : 01-10-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Odango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

I've got a Canon Powershot S2 IS for Christmas. Loving it and slowly learning all the color and other flash settings and how to reduce my camera shake issues.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 12:26 AM   #7
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

One tip to help reduce camera shake. Hold the camera to your eyes even if it's a digital. I think the S2 has an optical viewfinder, so you can probably do this. If you already do this, then GREAT!

I just keep silent and sigh inside when someone holds a camera at arm length and complains about the picture being blurry.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
haruna
Fear my cookies of rue

Whenever you're buying a digital camera, pay close attention to the amount of optical zoom you're getting.
Digital zoom is like pressing CTRL + in Photoshop to magnify the image.

I borrowed a friend's Canon SD500. 7 mexapixels and around $350(which is not bad at all given the quality of camera.) The photos this thing takes are amazing.
haruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #9
Silence_Sigh
yawn... bored...

i was going to make a new thread but good thing someone already posted this!

i need new digi camera too! unfortunately i have no idea what mega pixel stands for or any other various terminology.etc.

i am willing to pay up to 500 or even 600 US dollars for a good digi cam that will last me for a very long time. the size really dont matter but i do prefer the slim ones but if the big ones have greater attributes in the same price range, ofcourse i prefer the big ones. XD.

links would REALLY help.

See you at Otakon 07!
Silence_Sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
Ollie
Between Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence_Sigh
i was going to make a new thread but good thing someone already posted this!

i need new digi camera too! unfortunately i have no idea what mega pixel stands for or any other various terminology.etc.

i am willing to pay up to 500 or even 600 US dollars for a good digi cam that will last me for a very long time. the size really dont matter but i do prefer the slim ones but if the big ones have greater attributes in the same price range, ofcourse i prefer the big ones. XD.

links would REALLY help.
dpreview.com is the first (and maybe last) link you'll need.