Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
U.S.S. Operative
Getting Much Hate

So, just wondering who els is having this problem now at conventions. For those who don't make their own cosplays such as myself, I have been getting a lot of hate from other cosplayers who make their own.
I been called fake, not a real cosplayer, people like me are the ones who are ruining TRUE cosplay, and getting plenty of dirty looks. This has been starting to happen more and more at cons that I've been going to.
Is there really that much of a hate for cosplayers that don't have the skill to make their own outfits?
because at first it was no big deal, but now that I been hearing it more, it's starting to really effect me and second guess myself. ya I didn't make my cosplay, but I put in a lot of work and money to adding parts to my cosplay to make myself look very unique and jaw dropping.

So I want yall's advice and suggestions on this, and if there is anyone els who has been experiencing this.
Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
Applique ate my soul
Just ignore them. Anyone worth their salt isn't going to care that your stuff is store bought - and the ones who DO care don't matter. As long as you're not entering the craftsmanship contests and claiming the work as your own, it doesn't matter. The anti-store bought people have been around for years! They were here when I started 15 years ago, and they'll be around in another 15 years, I'm sure. Just do your best to have fun and ignore the haters.
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
probably a frackpants
That seems so very odd to me that you'd be hearing those things, especially with the sort of costume in your icon. Military-style costumes like that are ROUTINELY assembled from real-life garments the cosplayer didn't make, and assorted hardware they also didn't make. It's the most normal thing in the world.

Are you dealing with a group people who, perhaps, just don't like you? Or is your specific costume getting a bad reception at the events you go to?
Workin' on:
Tom Petty [Final Fantasy XV] (9%)
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
leads the crusade
I'm with Mango here. This sounds odd, for multiple reasons.

- most people at a convention do not care
- costumes like the one in your picture are generally not expected to be completely selfmade anyway and you are not in a "comparison" to another cosplayer at the event
- and the few who do have strong resentments against store-brought costumes usually don't have the balls to say anything nasty directly for you to notice.

So... I'm really suprised to hear its this frequent and harsh.
Me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SyonCosplay
Me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/syoncos/

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
With so many people commissioning costumes or assembling them like you do I'm surprised others would be so vocal about not liking it. You aren't ruining anything, and they can go suck it. Not every one has the time, skills, or money to make their own costumes. And even those who do make them most often don't make every single piece.

Also, the outfit in your profile pic looks awesome.
Make good art. ~Neil Gaiman

Past costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie, Tiefling Sorcerer, Morrigan of Dragon Age, Thor Goddess of Thunder, Daenerys Targaryen
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri, Steampunk gown

part of Pixelated Cosplay group on Facebook, @cathartic_creation on Instagram
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #6
Future Pirate King
Sure, the folks who think it's better to make your own have ALWAYS been around and probably always will, but I've not heard of any kind of upswing in people a - openly saying so in public and b - saying it to people's faces at conventions.

Buyers keep me in business so I don't complain. Every approach to cosplay is valid, and the only time I side-eye anyone is when they complain about things that could be easily solved by changing their approach - e.g., complaining that their costume falls apart in the wash or isn't accurate enough.
Founder and President, Madison Area Costuming Society, a chapter of the International Costumer's Guild

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 08:54 AM   #7
As a crossplayer I get a TON of hate because people think I dont take cosplay seriously and I only do it as a Joke when all I want to do as dress as my favorite characters even if most of them are females.

2016 Planned Cosplays

Asuka Langley
Honoka Kousaka
Miraculous Ladybug
Serena Pokemon X & Y
Ryuko Matoi in Junketsu
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:34 AM   #8
If you're entering a competition, it matters if it's self made.

Otherwise, people whining about how you acquired your costume are on a special level of salty. That's really stretching to find something to feel self righteous about. I think it's safe to (respectfully) ignore their complaints.

If people could only feel comfortable cosplaying in outfits they made themselves, then all the people that do commissions would be out of business.
Visit my buddy's blog, GTDebris.com! Cosplay, comics, Music, TV, movies, all sorts of fun stuff.
djlemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:07 PM   #9
Could be your costume is making them jealous (you did say you put a lot of money and other effort into it) so when they find out you didn't make it yourself but it still looks that good it rubs salt into their wounds. I could see someone getting jealous after putting in months of work on some fancy armor build, then seeing someone else with a build just as good who didn't have to put in any of the manual labor, just cash. But that's their problem and not really something you have any control over or can do anything about. It can be hard but try to ignore them, maybe find a different cosplay group to associate yourself with that can act as a buffer.
Past Conventions
Radcon-'12 : Akicon-'13 : KuroNekoCon-many years ago : Sakuracon-'13, '14, '15, '16 : PAX West-'11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16 : Rainfurrest '15

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2016
Possibly: NewCon

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)
Scunosi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:40 PM   #10
Viking Metal
What is the lead up to people telling you this? Unless people are randomly trotting past you and stage whispering FFFFFAKE at you, there has to be more context that elicits this response. Describe the scenario leading up to these accusations. Are these people you know? Strangers? Cosplayers? Non-cosplayers?
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote