Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
SexyNewbie

Wink How did Cosplay start for you?

This is my first year actually doing it and I'm really exited! My Uncle keeps telling me to make my props for Comic Con, but I have no idea how to even begin. Either that or spend $300 on a plastic chainsaw I'll only use once or twice! How does everybody know how to engineer props and sew costumes so professionally? Where do you learn these skills from?
SexyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Well to answer your questions, we learn the same way you'd learn anything else. By studying how it's done and giving it a go, and slowly getting better. That's we engineer all these props and sew costumes, as you say, "so professionally" (which I don't do it THAT well lol). As to wear we lean, literally anywhere. Tutorials from here, deviantart, youtube and other sites, and mimic them. There are those of us who can just try an idea we have and see how it goes, and it ends up working, but other than that, looking up tutorials and learning from them.
-Gohan (DBZ/SSJ1)
-Red (Pokemon Fire Red)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2017, 04:00 AM   #3
Shienra

I'm sure you can find some tutorials that can help you out Maybe you can contact other cosplayers as well who made the same prop and ask them questions. I don't have a lot of experience myself, but so far people have always been very helpful and friendly.
You can start out with something small too (first making a small prop knife or something) and if you feel more comfortable with the materials, you can 'upgrade' to something bigger.
Most people use EVA foam and worbla for their props.

Ciri alternative outfit - The Witcher
Merrill - Dragon age 2 (2018)

//Instagram//Facebook(cosplay)//Tumblr//Art Tumblr//
Shienra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

I learned a lot of what I know about prop making from tutorials, and trial and error. That's how I learned most of what I know, aside from sewing as that was a skill I learned from my grandmother.

Mind, I've been cosplaying since 2008 and dabbling with different materials and skills since. There are some materials that are relatively easy to get the hang of (craft foam, hot glue, gesso, paint, etc.) and some that have required more time and practice (Wood work, metal work etc.)

I'm sure it's pretty relative. I'm not very good making props out of wood, I'm sure someone else might excel at that but struggle with foam. I would look for tutorials and fiddle around with different options until you find something that works.
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Tons of practice, occasional help from experts and various tutorials (usually on props. I sew heavily, even have a business, but am definitely not much of a propmaker) and I did attend fashion school, but yeah, practice and research, that's really all it boils down to. I've been cosplaying for ten years so I've had a lot of time to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #6
EmiBubble
Professional Loli

I learned how to use a sewing machine and make clothes back in elementary school in homemaking class. So when my friend asked me to make her cosplay in high school I said yes and decided to cosplay along with her. That was 2013. I learned how to make props after that through online tutorials, and trial and error.