Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #1
Tweetypie

Opinions? Need help?!

Hi, so I'm going a German soldier cosplay portraying a wolfenstien character but wanted some opinions, there will be no swasticas on the uniform and it will be a typical enlisting mans uniform, the only badges on there will be the arm eagle, and one SS patch on the collar, just wanted people's views and such really.

P.S. I'm not in any way supporting or defending what the nazis have done I just like portraying the 'bad guy' and I like to cause a bit of surprise and see people's reactions

Last edited by Tweetypie : Yesterday at 06:21 PM. Reason: Warmed
Tweetypie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #2
Scunosi

I think doing a toned-down or replaced/altered version is generally seen as the acceptable way to get around being too offensive. Some people won't like it regardless but if you've done what you can to sanitize it you'll just have to accept that. I'd see this thread for more opinions.

Upcoming Conventions
PAX West 2016, got my tickets and hotel baby!
Friday-Lunara (HotS)
Saturday-Dratini (Pokémon Go)
Sunday-Meseeks (Rick and Morty)
Monday-Sans (Undertale)
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #3
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

If the uniform's going to be very accurate, I'd make sure there are certain aspects of the outfit (a crazy colored wig or something, I'm not familiar with the game so I don't know what'd be appropriate) that should make it clear to people who don't know who you're cosplaying that you are dressing up as a particular character and not just wearing an SS uniform. If you don't have any swastikas on it I wouldn't worry too much, though. One thing you could do if you want is replace the other potentially objectionable symbols like the SS logo with an Iron Cross:

People still think of it as "German", but it was used before the Nazis came to power and (at least a variant) is still used by their armed forces today.

In progress: Mako (Legend of Korra), Bucky Barnes (Captain America: TFA), Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)

Planned: Big Boss/Naked Snake (MGS3), Roy Mustang (FMA: Brotherhood), Jon Snow (Game of Thrones season 6), Arno Dorian (AC Unity), Mal Reynolds (Firefly), Steve Rogers (Captain America: TFA), General Hux (Star Wars Ep VII)

FacebookdeviantArtInstagram
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 10:17 AM   #4
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1138 View Post
If the uniform's going to be very accurate, I'd make sure there are certain aspects of the outfit (a crazy colored wig or something, I'm not familiar with the game so I don't know what'd be appropriate) that should make it clear to people who don't know who you're cosplaying that you are dressing up as a particular character and not just wearing an SS uniform. If you don't have any swastikas on it I wouldn't worry too much, though. One thing you could do if you want is replace the other potentially objectionable symbols like the SS logo with an Iron Cross:
-snip-

People still think of it as "German", but it was used before the Nazis came to power and (at least a variant) is still used by their armed forces today.
It's also very commonly used in animation as a sanitized analog (is that the right word?) for the Nazi swastika, so most people would understand what you're doing even without knowing the historical bit behind it.

Upcoming Conventions
PAX West 2016, got my tickets and hotel baby!
Friday-Lunara (HotS)
Saturday-Dratini (Pokémon Go)
Sunday-Meseeks (Rick and Morty)
Monday-Sans (Undertale)
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote