Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Jacecam32

Cosplay Weapon Props Materials

Hey everyone. I need a little help. I am the head of prop checks for a local convention. and they are talking about loosening the policy some and would like my suggestions on what is good and what isn't good to have.

So I have some basic ideas but I'd like to hear from others about materials/techniques for making props. I'm opening to hearing all styles of making props from the big to the small.
The only thing I've been told is an adamant no. is hard metal/real weapons. which I get. Sorry you can't bring your real battle axe to a con. Not really lol.
The Inferiority You Feel Is Actually The Quality Of A King. You May Grumble A Lot But You Know That You Are Still Small. And Yet, You Still Struggle To Reach Heights Greater Then You Can Imagine - Iskander Fate Zero.
Jacecam32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Killerangel666
You have Cheetohs?

Could you post their current prop policy? That way we know how strict they are? For instance the con I go to is pretty lenient, no live steel and you can use airsoft guns but can not have any ammo on you, but I have heard of some cons that you can't use any kind of guns airsoft, cardboard, water pistol doesn't matter.
Killerangel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Sunny~J

you wouldn't happen to be talking about Anime Detour would you? you look so familiar, I swear I saw you there before. As for weapons:
Most of mine (even the very large ones) are made from either foam blocks, expanding foam, and paper mache. With those materials most cosplayers are already very conscious of the them since they are more fragile.
Casted weapons of fiberglass, resin, or silicone are much more sturdier and heavier. so if they bonk someone on their noggin the weapon wont break but it can leave a nasty bump!
Sunny~J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
Syon

The only other material (beside metall) that is mentioned in con rules is often wood. And the other things are often length of all kinds of props and specific regulations or some type of prop (saw con rules, where a bow wasn't allowed to have a string).
Unread 01-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
Jacecam32

The con is actually one of the strictest (in the world) from what i hear. But its kept people safe so far.

Props and Replica Policy

The following restrictions are applicable to all props:

Must be an inanimate, non-living object, unless such living prop be a duly registered service animal under the Service Dogs Act of Alberta, or similar legislation of the same intent and nature.
May not have sharp edges, points, or corners.
May not be used for mock combat, though posing for photographs is acceptable.
May not be swung or thrown at any time.
May not be of a size or shape that would impede the flow of traffic, or be a hazard to the Venue or other patrons.
May not contain glass, unless it is a common object unlikely to break.
Must be peace-bonded at the designated replica and prop check area. This bonding must be kept visible at all times.
Any chains, whips, and similar props, whether by themselves or as part of a larger prop, must be secured from swinging on both ends.
Props are sub-divided into four different category, with additional restrictions applying to each class.
Class A - props not resembling a weapon. The following additional restrictions apply to this category:
None
Class B - props resembling projectile weapons, ancient or modern. The following additional restrictions apply to this category:
Must be obviously and permanently inoperable.
If modern (eg: guns), there must be an orange tip extending a minimum 1.5 centimetres down the barrel. In the case that the prop could potentially be operable, the barrel must by blocked by an epoxy resin or similar glue, and any air chamber for propulsion must be punctured.
If ancient (eg: bows), they may not have a string capable of firing a projectile and may not be strung except for photographs.
May not propel a projectile at any time.
Class C - prop is a weapon replica, but is not easily swung (eg: staff, sword, or polearm). The following additional restrictions apply to this category:
Blade or protrusion may not be metal or a bare wooden material other than balsa.
Class D - prop is a replica of a standard melee weapon (eg: sword, axe). The following additional restrictions apply to this category:
May not be primarily constructed of metal or wood, excluding balsa.
May not have a wooden handle greater than 9 inches in length.
May not be reinforced with wooden dowel or an acrylic/acetate rod with a diameter greater than 5/16 of an inch.
Props that do not meet the policies must be removed from the venue immediately upon request. Failure to remove props from site may result in event pass revocation without refund.

Actions taken with props that are in violation of this policy, or actions taken in a manner that can be deemed a risk to public safety, may result in the seizure of the props and pass revocation without refund.
Certain areas of the Event may restrict the transport of props, even if they are in compliance with this policy.
In the event of a conflict between ASAPA's Prop and Replica policy, and the policy of the hosting Venue, the more restrictive of the two shall apply.
At the discretion of designated Event staff, certain props or replicas may be deemed unacceptable regardless of compliance with this policy.
Additional restrictions to the policy may apply, and will be available through the official Venue website and/or publications of the Venue itself.

that is the current Prop policy (note real weapons even decomissioned ones are a no)
The Inferiority You Feel Is Actually The Quality Of A King. You May Grumble A Lot But You Know That You Are Still Small. And Yet, You Still Struggle To Reach Heights Greater Then You Can Imagine - Iskander Fate Zero.
Unread 01-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Wow that is. Yeah. Pretty restrictive. I can't imagine very many cosplayers enjoying themselves under those rules.

First of all, you need to know your local laws and ordinances against weapons and fake weapons. That will give you the bare minimum of what you MUST have. For example, are Airsoft weapons illegal in your town, county, or province? Then the con has to ban them, period. Do the ordinances only cover working gun replicas but not disabled ones? Oh look, wiggle room.

Above and beyond that, consider what the venue would really prefer. If the hotel/conference center is extremely uncomfortable with everything, you probably can't change much. But if the venue is really permissive or doesn't care one way or the other, you can really loosen up a lot of these restrictions.

First and foremost you need actual numbers on the size restriction. "size or shape that would impede traffic" is vague, and your staff can interpret that so many ways that what one security volunteer might ban, another would let slide. They could potentially come down harsher on some cosplayers over others, or allow their favorite characters/anyone who winks and smiles at them to pass with something that should be restricted. Put some numbers on that. A certain length, usually anywhere from 4-6 feet, is fairly standard, with the permission to have props that separate down to that size but can be reassembled for photos. Trying to put a number on width or weight is harder, and most cons don't restrict that. Ones that have tried to restrict how far out from the wearer's body a costume can extend have been met with backlash and had to take it all back, so when it comes to things like large wings, wide hoop skirts, props/accessories that extend above and outward from the wearer's body, it's better to offer suggestions not to wear such items in certain areas or a general suggestion for courtesy toward other congoers.

Nearly every con bans real metal weapons, edged or not, and for good reason. That's pretty standard. But restricting wood aside from balsa is pretty ridiculous. Wood is a funny thing, because yeah, if you pick up a log and bash someone over the head with it, it's going to hurt. But most of the time when props are made of wood, they've been shaped in such a way that they're no longer of the kind of density that would cause harm to anyone if they've been hit with it. A wooden boken or shinai is, in theory, a potential dangerous weapon, but they're also technically substitutes for what would be a lethal weapon - so how lethal does a weapon prop need to be before it has to be banned? That's tough. But a boken or shinai is also different from a wooden prop in that generally, people have labored long over their props and consider them fragile. They've been sanded and painted and rendered an object of beauty rather than a blunt weapon. The wielders of such props are not going to go around smacking people with them, the worry is more likely the individuals with no respect for other people's things. In that case, banning the USE of weapons as weapons - real or mock combat, etc - as well as warning congoers not to touch other people's props without permission goes further toward protecting safety than banning the props themselves.

There are a lot of ways to make props, everything from cardboard all the way up to fiberglass. You can't cover everything by name. New products come out all the time. And people building their props often end up making them out of multiple materials - for example, wood AND clay AND plastic, or plastic AND hot glue AND fabric. Trying to micromanage every iteration of a prop will lead to a weapons policy larger than the program book. It's insane. Cover the basics: no real metal weapons, no working projectile weapons, weapons/props need to be within a certain size limit. Make sure you have your legal bases covered, as well as the venue's wishes, and if that leaves you with a much shorter weapons policy than this? Awesome! Have at you!

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
Jacecam32

This isn't a New con and these current policies were developed by and EMS first responder So they conform to all laws and the venues Request and the leap above them greatly.

I'm just looking to prop making Techniques that I can use when I approach about possibly loosening the policies some

(btw I conform to these policies and I have a great time. ya its harder. but you develop the skill more)

The ban on wood is because you can get some damn sturdy wood. and yes MOST people won't go around hitting people. But this con as a NO violence policy anyone caught doing anything other then just posing can be banned. and EVERY year there are people that get banned for horse playing with their weapons. So to prevent these jack asses from really hurting themselves (which would effect the con as insurance goes up as does negative opinions) The con has such strict Rules. Not to mention a lot of people don't pay attention to their props. Banged shins bonked heads kids getting smacked with props. are an issue at cons I've been where they have allowed hard woods.

Problem with covering basics is because people fucking LOVE being technical. and trying to find loop holes and such. That's why the current policy is so vauge. Wider net. fewer loop holes for people to go "Well technically" leaving staff with their hands tied.

There is a new head of safety that is also a first responder. He's kinda depending on me as he has no prop exp. This is why I want to cover as many ways of making props as I can. See which ones i'm ok with (foam core with worbla wrap) Which ones I'm iffy on (100% wood with worbla wrap/metal re-enforments) and which ones I'm flat out no for. (Metal and operating ranged weapons. Sorry bows count and have to be unstrung between photographs imo)

Anyone that could help with suggestions I'd LOVE to hear how you make your props what you make it out of etc.
Unread 01-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
Ron Jr

With those rules my Lightsaber would not be allowed. Even just my belt hanger.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
Amanita

^Yeah, my Psionic blade's empty hilt wouldn't even pass muster, as it features a Katana style handguard, with square corners. And the whole hilt is made of aluminum.

Restricting things to just balsa is also asinine- Balsa is something I would avoid the hell out of in prop weapon making because of its fragility- I don't want to spend hours upon hours sanding, priming, and painting only have it break into several pieces if it gets accidentally dropped or bumped into.

Are nerf guns allowed, even without the foam darts?
As CapsuleCorp said, banning horseplay and telling people to ask first before handling somebody else's stuff would make more sense and go further when it comes to protecting people.
Unread 01-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

The question I have is are they removing everything that is metal or could be picked up from the venue? For example, I could just pick up a folding chair (pretty standard at anime cons) and do some pretty heinous damage to somebody/the hotel if I felt like it. This isn't something I would do, but you don't know that somebody wouldn't, if they also don't know that somebody wouldn't use their meticulously-crafted prop they've spent a hundred hours on to do the same thing. If they're going to be so strict about the prop guidelines, are they strict about everything contained within the venue itself?

Otherwise, some of this seems excessive and ridiculous and IMO, you may as well just say "no prop weapons at this convention" because it would save you much more time.

For example, I am constructing a sword that uses a dowel for a handle/reinforcement through insulation foam covered with polyurethane resin. The dowel has been sanded flat where it's sandwiched in between the foam. It's 1" diameter to prevent stuff like bowing. When the thing is fully constructed, there's no way that they could discern it from being PVC unless I tell them (meaning I won't be able to use my prop...is everybody really that honest) or they try to break it themselves....so is somebody at weapons check going to be trying to break all the weapons that look like they could possibly have a dowel in them somewhere?
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #11
Jacecam32

So No ones basically no ones gonna give me advice on how they are making props?

I'm well aware of the policies restrictions. I have worked with in them and though it DOES make it harder I understand they want things flimsy so you won't do anything with them. most people normally wouldn't. BUT there are exceptions and those are the people that have ruined it for everyone else. Trust me i have to deal with EVERYONE bitching about it and complaining and getting mad at me and so forth which really puts a damper on the con for me.

THIS is why I am looking for help. THIS is why I am asking for PROP MAKING TECHNIQUES. Sorry but i don't want to hear about what isn't and is allowed that you have made. I know. I have been prop check for over a year at this con and its mini con (this will be #4 for me) This is why I am trying to loosen the policy.

So please. If you aren't gonna post about how you make your props. Then please don't post at all. Because I already know. I've already heard it. I've already been belittled by self righteous teenagers.

Also Worked with Balsa its not that bad. just gotta learn how to re-enforce it (duct tape works great btw) then you can use it as a centre core over insulation foam and worbla wrap. Or just paper mache or tape. and then gesso/dry wall filler it and sand it. prime and paint. Ya. its extra work. But if you know what you are doing it will still work out.

So thanks to the few people giving suggestions. everyone else. you are kinda wasting your time. Sorry
Unread 01-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Ilafatyu
That guy

Why do you want to know how people make their props? You're interested in the end product for safety purposes. Every prop is made differently, I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of asking for this.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 4%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2015, 02:43 AM   #13
belligerent
Viking Metal

Google "how do I make cosplay props" if you want to know how to make props.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2015, 04:35 AM   #14
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Yeah, hate to be that person that says "Google it" buut I agree with Belligerent. There's an entire section of this forum dedicated to props, here it is, in all it's glory: http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47

As you can see people use a plethora of things, from wood to pvc to craft foam to card board to worbla and everything in between.

People here aren't bitching or being self righteous. You said yourself on your first post that the convention is thinking of loosening policies, therefore people are saying "This rule right here? It's pretty asinine and restrictive. And this one? It's too vague" So you and the convention can say "Hey okay, maybe we need to look at this"

As for people putting a damper on your con because they're complaining... well.. .. Tough cookies? Working on staff is like working in customer service, you can't please everyone and SOMEONE will find a reason to complain about something. It sucks, but the best thing you can do is grin, murder them in your mind, and remember the people who AREN'T a-holes, because they make the job worthwhile, amirite?

Also you mentioned that people love to find loopholes to leave the staff with their hands tied, well this is the reason why many conventions have a "We have the final say" rule. Meaning when little Timmy or Susie goes to prop check, if you guys say "Sorry, you'll have to put that in your car or room" that's what they have to do.
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:16 AM   #15
Syon

How are prop making techniques going to help you?
I don't get it...
A prop making technique is the "how to make X" and not "what is used as material in X". Need an example? I'm currently working on making a new version of Whitemanes hat. I'm going to use foam, fabric, paint, glue, some fake gemstone and worbla. Same stuff I used in the first version, but I'm probably changing the way I made it. How is this going to affect your rules? Nothing at all. I'm also searching on how I could make a scythe with a curved staff. There are different techniques for that. But what does a con care about that? Except for the question if I go for using wood or pvc and how long that thing is going to be and if you are if its one piece or seperat pieces.