Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
ScorpioRose
*powerful motor*

Perfume and Cosplay

Whenever I'm working on a cosplay, I like to wear a light perfume or cologne with it that I feel reflects the character. I don't want to be that one person drenched in perfume, but having that touch of scent is a fun finishing touch that I feel lends dimension to the whole look. Does anyone else like pairing fragrance with their cosplay?

Alcor the Dreambender--Gravity Falls Transcendence AU
Mermaid!Sayaka Miki--Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Princess Bubblegum--Adventure Time
Rei Ryugazaki--Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
ScorpioRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I've tried it a few times, but generally I just don't wear perfumes enough to make it worth the extra cost on something almost nobody can notice. Nowadays I tend to make my fun extra characterization in the form of matching earrings or my socks. :P Likewise, a LOT of public places put a lot of pressure on limiting your fragrances due to allergies and such (No, a crap ton of fragrance really isn't much better than con funk...) I'm not allergic to anything but I do start coughing noticeably when someone is too drenched in perfumes (same applies to air fresheners and most dryer sheets. ....come to think of it maybe I have developed a fragrance sensitivity/allergy the last year...), so I very much appreciate scent-free places. I've had a few friends with asthma/allergied that couldn't even go into drug/department stores by their main entrance due to the perfume counters always being a wall of smell when walking in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2016, 02:18 AM   #3
ShadowLizardon

I'm using a neutral deo for male characters and my every day perfum for female characters. ^^
ShadowLizardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Penlowe

Perfume is the bane of my existence.
Real perfume, made the old fashioned way with a distilling process and alcohol based, is no big deal. Unfortunately the vast majority of perfumes, colognes, body sprays, scented candles, air fresheners & Febreeze are now made with a base of aromatic hydrocarbons, which is a scentless byproduct of petroleum processing.
I am especially sensitive to these chemicals, they are a migraine trigger.
One whiff from some dude who has no clue that you are supposed to make your cologne squirt less than one second, who has instead sprayed it all over like he was trying to spray paint himself with full body color, is enough to send me running for a dark room and a double dose of Aleve.
I had to quit my job at Michael's because between products we carried in the store & the Soccer Moms wearing gallons of perfume I was experiencing migraines 3-5 times a week.
I can't risk shopping on really crowded days or times because I know I'll be exposed to too many over-perfumed people.
I literally can't even walk past a Bath & Bodyworks because the smell extends so far out in front of their store.
Went to the zoo yesterday, its all outside so I thought I'd be ok. Nope woke up dizzy, which means I'm in for a humdinger of a migraine today.

Cons where cosplay is prevalent is one of the very few communities where people tend to not wear perfume/ cologne as much, which is a saving grace for me. It's a social thing I can do, despite a crowd. So, yeah, I hope I never run into you at a con.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I wear perfume normally so I do in cosplay. However, I don't pick one that matches the character but instead go with my "clean air" one. It's incredibly light, even by my standards and I have a sensitive nose.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Sadly I can't wear very many perfumes anymore due to allergies (mostly respiratory stuff...I'm thankful enough that I don't end up with migraines). I stopped being able to shop at Bath and Body Works since I'm allergic to most of the stuff they carry ever since they changed the formula for 90% of their fragrances and discontinued the stuff that DOESN'T make me sick.

Having said that, I've got two go-to perfumes that I occassionally use for characterization that DON'T make me drown in my own lung fluids.

When I decided I wanted to cosplay Asuna, I found an etsy seller who made something called Star Splash which is a fragrance inspired by Asuna. It's nice and light, and it kinda reminds me of Anna Riva's Attraction Oil (those who are also members of the metaphysical community will probably know what I'm talking about)

Then there's Ode De Reve by Yves Rocher which is impossible to find anymore, but worth it. I've planned on using it for Female Inumuta because the liquid in the bottle is blue, and blue is Inumuta's signature color.

As always with any perfume, a little bit goes a long way! Don't become a human chemical spill!

Tentative Cosplay Lineup for NDK:
Friday: Titania Asuna (Sword Art Online)
Saturday: Female Inumuta (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Fem!France (Hetalia) or Oddish Gijinka (Pokemon)

Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!
http://www.respawnseries.com/
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
OoTLink

I'd rather smell perfume or cologne than other things. XD
OoTLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post
No arguments here!

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!
Unread 07-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post
im actually of the opposite position, id rather smell a slight body oder
than someone who just "spraypainted" themselves

but i mean like, they showerd yesterday, and the deo they put on this morning is failing
not, i hulked it up at the gym the past 3 days and hadnt showerd yet

or cat people that can no longer tell that thier cay has sprayed or pissed on
thier laundry (thats just puke-tastic every time)

but on the fun side of things,
imagine peoples opnion on what something like a little mermaid cosplay should smell like

im sure theres a fragrance claiming to smell like ocean, but perhaps someone thinks
a mermaid would smell of fish funk and seaweed

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 07-17-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictamnus Albus View Post

or cat people that can no longer tell that thier cay has sprayed or pissed on
thier laundry (thats just puke-tastic every time)
In my high school world history class, I sat next to someone like that...(barf)

Unread 07-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
ScorpioRose
*powerful motor*

There are too many comments for me to reliably answer, so I'm sorry if I don't address your concern in this! ^^; I know overuse of perfume can be annoying and even dangerous for some people, but I believe that's just the key part–over use.
I absolutely hate people drenching themselves in scent. Like a lot of people, staying in Bath and Body Works for too long makes me sick. In general, you're onyl supposed to apply perfume lightly on your pulse points, and never as a replacement for bathing. Ew ew ew.

I also have suuuuper sensitive skin, so I tend to shy away from chemical-based perfumes. Maybe I should have specified that I really prefer indie brands–Sixteen92, Solstice Scents, BPAL–because many of them use oil or alcohol bases that don't give me a rash. (And, coincidentally, can't be sprayed around and stink up a room.)

tl;dr I don't think using perfume/cologne properly should cause a problem for people with severe allergies/sensitivity, but I sincerely apologize if it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictamnus Albus View Post
but on the fun side of things,
imagine peoples opnion on what something like a little mermaid cosplay should smell like

im sure theres a fragrance claiming to smell like ocean, but perhaps someone thinks
a mermaid would smell of fish funk and seaweed
Weirdly enough, I actually use a perfume for Undyne, who's a fish person, that has seaweed/mud/seawater notes! I know, it sounds disgusting, but on the skin it's a incredibly subtle oceanside scent that's not artificial at all.

Alcor the Dreambender--Gravity Falls Transcendence AU
Mermaid!Sayaka Miki--Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Princess Bubblegum--Adventure Time
Rei Ryugazaki--Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
ScorpioRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #12
SuzuStarlight
Hitohira Kazehana

Since Cosplay is "going out in a non-casual situation" for me, perfume is a must. I don't just want to look, but also smell my best.
I usually have two fragrances, a lighter one for every day and a heavier one for parties and stuff.
Which one I use depends on the character. Tougher, more mature girls usually means the heavier fragrance (heavier as in woman-ly in contrast to the girly one), while cute girls get the light and sweet fragrance.

~Up Next~
Medic ~Human Form~ (Kamen Rider Drive)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #13
Helara
She had a foam arm.

I just wear what I usually wear for any other day out but I may go for the richer perfumes since 1. it has to last all day and night and 2. they're not girly or light. None of mine are terribly girly but they are feminine or unisex and suit me fine. I don't think people really notice, my friends and boyfriend might since they're the people most likely to get that close to me.
Unread 07-18-2016, 11:36 PM   #14
Marthony

An old friend told me the rule for applying scents: It is properly applied for smelling by someone in your personal space only. If it can be smelled a few feet away, that is the technique of prostitutes. Pretty blunt, but also quite clear!

I rarely like perfumes, and also live in a national park where ladies dress down, wear hiking shoes and little makeup. Coming from this, I find strong perfumes to be very excessive and I get away from whomever is wearing it..! I really don't want to smell people in general.
Unread 07-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #15
AkiJudaichan

For characters like Marinette from Miraculous Ladybug I use a light amount of sweet pea because her character lives in a bakery so she should smell like sweets. Other than her it depends on my mood what fragrance I will put on with each character, if I put one on at all. When I do use fragrance girly sweet characters would get a light spritz of sweet pea perfume or body spray depending on the age of the character, since younger characters would not be expected to wear much. For more mature characters or girly boys (by girly boys I mean Sei from DDMD and Titus from Magi, not Ventus since he is very active) I would use velocity perfume by Mary Kay. However, I usually do not use them for cosplay often. That is just how I would do it on the days I decide match a scent to my characters.

MomoCon 2016
Thursday: Marinette (Miraculous LadyBug)
Friday: Sei (Dramatical Murders)
Saturday: Ventus (Kingdom Hearts)
Sunday: Sei or Marinette

DragonCon 2016
Most likely cosplays: Marinette, Ladybug (Miraculous LadyBug) Any of my more comfortable cosplays.

AWA-Con 2016
Most likely cosplays: Titus Alexius (Magi), Marinette, Ladybug and one of my other cosplays (Undecided)
AkiJudaichan is offline   Reply With Quote