Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
WingsofAngels48

Not finishing costumes

I think I'm probably not going to finish this cosplay I'm working on. It's probably for the best but I still feel really guilty somehow, seeing as I did already put some money and effort into it. I just don't have it in me to finish it and I probably never will. I already have the piece I was making it's just not as nice and a little uncomfortable but it will do. I'm assuming other people have not finished costumes before and I thought reading other people's stories about might make me feel a little less guilty
WingsofAngels48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I worked on a pair of digitigrade stilts, put maybe $180 and dozens of hours into them, using a tutorial on Instructables. On my first test run I fell down and broke a piece of the stilts, put them in my craft room and haven't touched them since. That was maybe 3 years ago.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

The "worst" one I've dropped is fem Robin from FE:A. It's all handmade with hand embroidery and the important bits were lined. I put so much detail into it. I have just the apron and the boot things left to do but I've lost motivation to finish the cosplay. It's been 2-3 years at this point. I've been trying to sell it off since I don't feel like finishing it but no biters yet. Might just buy a purple swimsuit and just do swimsuit Robin so it isn't a total loss(but I really dislike the default white ponytail hairstyle).

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
lunaflora

not a costume. but I spent around $300 dollars on fabric and I spent a month doing hand embroidery to make a ballgown. I lost motivation and it just wasn't working out, so I ended up taking it apart
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Scunosi

Luckily I've never invested too much into an abandoned cosplay. The farthest I ever got I think was Garnet, where I did research and plan for months but only ever spent money on some shoes and a "head cage" I intended to base her hair on (WIP pics in my gallery). That cage sat on top of my desk for I think 2 years almost before I finally took it apart for scrap. Looking back while it wasn't a terrible idea I'd build it much differently now if I tried again; having a bunch of wires strapped to my head sounds dangerous no matter how much padding I wrapped them in.

Papyrus for my boyfriend was almost abandoned; his head just wasn't working as the Model Magic just kept cracking over and over, and all the armor I'd spent time making wasn't able to actually be worn. We were up until around 2AM the night before Sakuracon trying to make it work only to finally go to bed defeated realizing he wouldn't be able to wear it the next day. Later in the year though we were able to resurrect the cosplay for PAX using a non-armor outfit and simple 2D mask instead of a clay head so I wouldn't consider it totally abandoned.

I do still have a big trash bag full of the armor though in case I need the foam again. Since it's already bent and painted I wonder if I should just toss it out though...

Upcoming Conventions
PAX West Baby!

Latest cosplay
Wicke (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

Working On
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Aw, I hope you can salvage it later on somehow. Almost four years ago I got caught up in making Elsa from the hype of the movie (despite me liking Anna better) and I got the fabric, pattern and cut it out. Only now am I working on it to practice with fabric/materials.
This also happened to me this year except it was only "half finished". If you can even call it 'finished' not because I'm putting myself down, but because I improvised to be able to use some of what I had bought and not let the money go to waste. I turned the character's outfit into a casual one so that's why I wouldn't consider what I was wearing a finished costume.

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Respawning

I was 3 months pregnant and desperately trying to finish a Tallis cosplay the night before. I had to call it at 3am as nothing was working and I was just exhausted. Still haven't finished Tallis :/

Also had to call it the night before a different con when I was supposed to do Polaris from Xmen as my bodice wasn't coming together either.

Both of these times they were my secondary cosplays I had been kind of roped into. I had focused on primary ones to complete and just not had enough time to complete the others. My main ones were pretty awesome though

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Pfft I've not finished SOOOO many cosplays..I think the list of finished ones is WAY shorter than the not finished ones..
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2017, 01:48 AM   #9
ghosgreen

Halo armor. I just did not manage to finish my ODST armor. It's one of those costumes I spent a lot of time on and in the end I just couldn't finish it. I may revisit it but we'll see.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #10
Penlowe

Started a fire mage from the BC Era of WoW but dropped it after we failed to get tickets to Blizzcon.
Now knitting and crochet projects.... I can't even begin to list how many of those I've abandoned. The really good thing about yarn arts though is you can un-make it and turn it into something completely different. I have a hat and scarf set that was two different sweaters before it reached it's final form.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #11
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
Aw, I hope you can salvage it later on somehow. Almost four years ago I got caught up in making Elsa from the hype of the movie (despite me liking Anna better) and I got the fabric, pattern and cut it out. Only now am I working on it to practice with fabric/materials.
This also happened to me this year except it was only "half finished". If you can even call it 'finished' not because I'm putting myself down, but because I improvised to be able to use some of what I had bought and not let the money go to waste. I turned the character's outfit into a casual one so that's why I wouldn't consider what I was wearing a finished costume.
This is where I feel like I am with Moana. I loved the movie and I started a cosplay but I don't have the motivation to finish it. =_=. Trying to sell off the pieces I made so I can get some of the money back I dumped into it. If I can't, probably just going to use it for CR Keyleath so it will get some use. lol

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #12
Blood_Sword
aka Shiro Samurai

Oh god, let's talk about my Masamune Date cosplay from Sengoku Basara.

I started it in 2012 as a group cosplay but the group fell through and at some point I got stuck on some harder parts of the costume (didn't have the skills/knowledge) and lost motivation. I had done over 50% of the cosplay and ever since then I've dubbed it my "eternity project", lol. I still like the character and want to finish it but I keep getting other projects that I want to make first and Masamune always gets pushed into the "I'll just do it later" bin.
It's been so many years since I originally made most of the costume that, when I look at it right now, I feel like I'd need to redo a lot of the parts because they didn't work out and/or don't match my current standards since yeah, I've improved my skills since then.
I just don't know what to do with the costume – I want to finish it but every other costume idea that I lay my eyes on is more interesting. I don't have the heart to part with it or scrap it either since I poured a lot of time, money and effort into the costume and I still like the series.

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 08-05-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
ardhri
Falcon in the Dive

I have sooo many unfinished costumes! I think the biggest money sink thus far has been Zelda, with three separate attempts to start her and all three discarded and/ or cannibalized for other costumes.

I think every artist has times when they lose inspiration or motivation. We just work through it and find the thing that gets us back on track. And who knows, maybe one day down the road the spark will come back for this particular costume.
Evelyn (The Mummy 1999)
Haru (Persona 5)
ardhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #14
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
This is where I feel like I am with Moana. I loved the movie and I started a cosplay but I don't have the motivation to finish it. =_=. Trying to sell off the pieces I made so I can get some of the money back I dumped into it. If I can't, probably just going to use it for CR Keyleath so it will get some use. lol
It sounded to me like you were really looking forward to wearing it, I hope you get a chance to rewear it

And as for me again, on the plus side I didn't end up wearing my Sailor Venus costume until now - and I definitely felt bad before hand because I didn't think I'd be coming back, and I spent a reasonable amount on it but I felt bad about letting the money go to waste. But even then I was concerned how I'd look in a blonde wig - but I'm giving it a second chance.

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

I'm so glad I'm far from the only one who has had to drop or unfinish costumes. I was going to actually try and attempt one of Satine's outfits from Moulin Rouge at the start of the year, but needless to say my cosplay budget was a LOT smaller this year than I hoped it would be. Luckily I only sank about $40 into materials before shelving it (and a lot of materials were actually donated to me by my sister who makes Christmas ornaments for a living). Last year, I started working on an Oddish cosplay for NDK (since Pokemon Go was in full swing, and Tara Sands was also a guest at NDK) but I never finished it. Fortunately, I didn't spend any money on materials.

I was also going to put Fem!Polnareff on hold. At the last minute I found a way that I MIGHT be able to finish it for my next con but I can't say for sure yet.

Friday: Fairy Queen Asuna (SAO: Fairy Dance Arc)
Saturday: Rarity (My Little Pony)
Sunday: Fem!Sanji (One Piece)

https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!
http://www.limitednight.com/
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote