Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Thumbs up The Costume-Upgrade Thread

Is there something about your cosplay you didn't like and you wanna fix for the next con?
Do you want to add something to your costume to make it cooler?
Do you want to remove something to your costume that will make it better?
Are you turning your costume into something else?
Are you turning your costume in a crossplay or genderbend or vice versa?
Are you buying a new and better wig for your costume?

Tell it here!

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 12-07-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I didn't like how my Zoe from Digimon Frontier costume looked, so I'm giving it a new better-quality wig and to turn it into something closer to the original concept I'll be giving it a shhorter pair of shorts and longer socks.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I haven't RECENTLY done this, but my most notable one was my first and second versions of Quorra from TRON: Legacy.
First version- Yeesh. Still stopped traffic but good god, I had NO idea what I was doing. http://www.cosplay.com/costume/447533/

Second- MUCH nicer. Thank you, fashion school and better approach to the lighting. http://www.cosplay.com/costume/475473/

And smaller ones, I improved the skirt and blouse from Twilight Sparkle after the first year. First wear- http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3355525/
And the version I have now. Also, I have a sweater for it too, but it doesn't come out much. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3495492/

...most recent one (last year) was pretty simple. I just got a much better wig for Motoko Kusanagi. My attempt at being thrifty for the first go just wound up costing me a whole new Arda wig. >:P First piece a' crap; http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3554450/
Annnnnd, much better. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3567385/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Most 'upgrades' I've done are little fixes that aren't super noticeable. Planning on a major overhaul of my Judal wig & Pyrrha's entire build in 2017 though, and will definitely post here when that happens!
  • Blanche (Pokemon GO): 0% (Planning) MAGfest 2017
  • Lelouch [Emperor Robes] (Code Geass) : ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
Saltpeter
DANGER: Talks too much

I upgraded my floppy piece-of-crap hat for Twisted Fate earlier this year for AnimeNEXT. And I eventually want to remake it AGAIN. I know what I need to do now to get the front of the hat correct.

Next up? This guy!

ETC: NYCC 2016
Saltpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #6
Chaletica
[laughs]

My Fuyuhiko cosplay is technically unfinished, still need to make the lapel pin (think i could try worbla?) and i'm not 100% happy with the wig, the styling didn't turn out right... considering getting a new one, maybe even a premade character wig

http://consolers.webcomic.ws My webcomic, Consolers. It's about game companies
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 01:07 AM   #7
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I significantly upgraded my Jacob Frye cosplay with a new coat, new shirt, new pants, and a couple new accessories. My first version was made in the months after the game was first announced, and when I made the second one more reference pictures and concept art were available, and I was able to find much better materials. Most importantly, I had also had time to make a much better fitting pattern for the coat. I also added scar makeup on my face.

First attempt (note the ill-fitting floppy collar, the out-of-place tuxedo shirt, and the overly stiff low-quality leather and belt on the coat):

Improved version (note the stiff collar, the charcoal herringbone fabric, the band collar shirt, and the smooth shiny leather):

In progress/planned: Newt Scamander (Fantastic Beasts), Roy Mustang (FMA: Brotherhood), Aldo Raine (Inglourious Basterds), Han Solo (Star Wars Ep V), Big Boss (MGS3), Steve Rogers (Captain America: TFA)

FacebookdeviantArtInstagram
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 02:29 AM   #8
ghosgreen

Hmmm well recently I technically got a proper grey suit for my bank heist joker. Before I just wore a black suit. Not very accurate but now it's looking better. I still need to get the blue duffle bag to go with it. My Red X armor I plan to remake the ab section to make it well better looking. I have the plans for it I just need to actually do it now and then eventually I want to pick up a head set and speaker so when I wear helmets people can hear me speak clearly for a change but that's more so a general thing for my armored costumes.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 06:26 AM   #9
Syon
leads the crusade

Oh yes, there is plenty I like to upgrade. Sometimes I feel like upgrading my cosplay or redo parts the moment I'm done working in a costume.

- I want to include LED lights into Jainas staff and do a better paint job. I also want to include the blonde hair in her wig and sew a cloak.

- I want to remake my very first costume, High Inquisitor Whitemane, because I still love it and I got lots of compliments for it, but my non-existant sewing skills back then really show and the costume suffered some damage.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #10
Scunosi

I already have the materials for most of the upgrades or changes I'd like to make but haven't had reason to actually work on my main upgrade yet since my next con's far off. I've got some cosplays that while I could update them I may just not even wear them again. Anyone know what to do with old retired cosplays? :P

When I made Lunara I didn't want to deal with learning how to sew vinyl on top of everything else so I just used some cheap grey fabric I got at a thrift store for her hooves. It looked fine enough (though I also didn't bother actually patterning the hooves so it's got some wrinkles) but it couldn't stand up to being walked on for essentially two days and has worn through in a few spots.

I later found a nice grey vinyl remnant at Joanne's a while ago that I'll be using to practice learning how to sew with it and assuming it doesn't look terrible I'll just be re-covering the hooves with that instead. It'll be much more durable and waterproof to boot! I will have to figure out how to add depth though, the one benefit of using regular fabric originally was I could just paint on shadows in between the "toes."

There's a couple other upgrades I'd like to do but aren't really as necessary. I'd like to figure out how to make better legwarmers for Lunara, the ones I made the stitches look like they could just snap any second and they don't hold up too well. I've still got plenty of leftover brown fur so I could probably just make an entirely new set.

Ultimately I'd also like to have custom skeleton leggings for my Sans like I made the gloves; the premade ones are passable but look oddly pixelated. I've also got to actually remake the gloves anyway, the first ones were made with regular Sharpie and ended up bleeding and smudging on themselves throughout multiple cons. They still look obviously skeletal but they're slowly turning purple from the ink. Maybe I could mod the hoodie, too, since it should either have a grey hood or (the popular fanon design) a fur-trimmed one, and I just have a basic blue-all-over. To be fair though the whole head needs redoing after the glue melted in front of a heater so all those details come secondary to that.

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2017
Possibly: NewCon

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
Anyone know what to do with old retired cosplays? :P
Try to sell them if they're in good condition, or scavenge any reusable stuff out of them for future costumes like fabric scraps for mockups and testing, buttons/zippers, wigs to reuse (or sell separately) or shoes to re-cover. And any that have "normal" clothing parts like leggings or tank tops or scarves often wind up being reused in my regular wardrobe, especially if I bought/thrifted the clothing item for it in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
loz64

My first costume from scratch was Princess Hilda from LoZ: Link Between Worlds. The first version was pretty terrible: the pauldrons were crap and fell apart, my bodice was incredibly sloppy and hard to get into, and I had attempted to make a giant circle skirt but failed to take into account that when it's cut that way the fabric stretches unevenly when subject to gravity. I want to cringe at every photo I've seen of this version. I ended up remaking this costume 2 twice and in hindsight, my skills increased a ton since I started out. I now feel that the current version is somewhat acceptable and I always make some small tweak before wearing it again! (Version 2 landed me a hall costume award so I guess it wasn't that terrible...)

Version 1 (augh, so terrible!):

Version 2 (includes the staff, but is still crap):

Version 3 (muuuuch better):

Costumes I want to remake/improve on this coming year are Rosalina, Airy and Pajama Link.

I also have a little store where I'm offering a few resin cast pieces for cosplay: http://mythrilarts.storenvy.com/
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #13
Kawaiiw33btrash

I've completely redone my Feferi Peixes cosplay. It looks a lot nicer now, even if it does stray from canon. I also redid my Fem Captin America cosplay, which looks better now, but not as good as I know it could be. SO that's getting done a third time this summer. I also want to redo my Rarity cosplay from MLP. It was my first ever cosplay and I think it would be nice to redo it so see my improvements.
Kawaiiw33btrash is offline   Reply With Quote