Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
Eldi
Sneak thief

Things that should be easy to find, but aren't

I feel like this happens to me with every cosplay I make- I need some item, that I think would be really popular and widely available, but is actually impossible to find.

For Karuta it was plain black mary janes, like... school girl shoes. I swear, I feel like I've seen so many people wear them, but I shopped all over & couldn't find a regular pair. I found lumpy comfort ones, chunky punky ones, flimsy slipper ones, and tall high-heel ones, but nothing like this (except for kids of course) Eventually I gave up on total accuracy and I just got these.

I guess it's just one of those things that's way more ubiquitous in animation/etc. than in real life. What other items like that have you guys found?
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Those ones you found look pretty good to me. But yea, I get what you mean, Mary Janes definitely exist and I do see people wearing them, but the ones they're wearing must be a few years old. I think part of your trouble is that that style of shoe does not really align with current fashion trends.
And this goes for a lot of items we search for. We think we'll be able to find something super easily because maybe one year it just happened to be in style, so it was everywhere, but now that styles have changed, it's so difficult to find. For example, the SNK cosplayers are really lucky because riding boots that go to or above the knee are the current trend, so those types of boots are easy to find, but I'm willing to bet that 2 years from now those types of boots will be difficult to track down.
But if you're looking for stuff that may have gone out of fashion a while ago, looking at thrift stores would be a good idea. Often people will drop off their outdated clothing there, so you can sometimes find what you need and for a good price too.

For me, it's tracking down the exact beads for many of Jack Sparrow's bead strands that is proving to be difficult. Many of the beads look like they would be fairly common, but I'm finding that if I want to track down each individual bead, I find ones that are either too big/too small, not the exact right color, made from the right material, or I need to buy a lot of like 1000 beads for some ridiculous price in order to just have one bead.
Jack's coat fabric is impossible to find too, but that's a whole other issue in and of itself with it being discontinued and all that. But finding a fabric that's decently close enough is impossible :P

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Ilafatyu
That guy

Brown sweatervests with a line of argyle down the middle. They come in two sizes: Small child and large man.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Azuraschampion
SAO and AW's biggest fan

Pleated miniskirts. Should be absolutely everywhere right? Yeah, think again. Unless theyre blue or black, next to impossible to find. i had to search for a week straight online to find one that looked right for my character. And absolutely none of the stores in my area had any.
Cosplays ive done: Sephiroth(FF7), Kirito SAO and ALO versions, Kazuto Kirigaya casual outfit and school uniform(SAO), Homura Akemi(PMMM), Namine(KH), and Kuroyukihime school uniform (Accel World)
Azuraschampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
touchmon
Make All The Things!

This is the story of my life. T_T

Red simple cami tank tops? Nope. Can't find them anywhere. Pink/white striped hoodies? Non-existent. White pants that aren't skinny? I found a pair now after about a year of looking. This has happened to me so many times that I plan for months in advance for simple cosplay since it takes me forever to find all the pieces for it.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Grey pants, not necessarily cropped, I can't believe I couldn't find a pair of my size for my Takato cosplay.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
MaiCosplay

A teapot should be easy to find. And light bubblegum pink stockings too.

Last edited by MaiCosplay : 03-19-2014 at 02:32 PM.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Syon

Stockings that really go far over your knee, but aren't made for lingerie.
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

You'd think a simple pair of yellow boots with small heels like Vanille's shouldn't be too hard to find... well, it is. It doesn't even have to be a black heel. I can paint the heel, cut off the tops if needed and add fur to them... so why, is it so difficult to find that perfect pair??
Navi (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts II)
Planned Cosplays
Oerba Dia Vanille (Final Fantasy 13)
Luka (Just Be Friends)
Firefox (Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser)
Lone Wanderer (Fallout 3) **Not Confirmed**
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
TitanSlayer000
Eh

It's usually the shoes for me. Like, why can't I find a pair of dark blue heels that cost less than $200?
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Pleather in more thicknesses than "Extremely thin and stretchy" and "Upholstery". RRRGH. This threatens to ruin my new Quorra cosplay all over again.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
Rinku-chan
Procrastination Time!

Brown boots. Just plain brown boots. Impossible to find, not even in the men's section. And when I do find some they're either the fancy girly high-heel pointed-toe boots or they're not in my size.
Kyogre [Battle Armor Gijinka] (Pokemon)
Ranma [Female Version] (Ranma 1/2)
Planned Cosplays:
Too Many to List OTL
Next Convention: Cosplacon 2015 (Possibly)
Rinku-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
pink-lemonade

Some nice brown oxfords for Mirai! Every time I find a pair that looks promising, they won't ship to Canada. -.- Going to have to go Value Village hunting hardcore now.

Also, decent red plaid! I check every few weeks to find something for Junko's skirt, but they all look super Christmas-y or are flannel. >.<
Saturday: Bad Girl (No More Heroes)
Sunday: Haruna Kojima the 8th (AKB0048)
pink-lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
Eldi
Sneak thief

You know what else just doesn't exist? Tan pants. There are plenty of khaki ones, but tan apparently only comes in corduroy or leather I spent sooo long in so many thrift stores (I even went to mall stores!) but still no luck. For the sake of my deadline I dyed some white pants, but they don't look great so I'm still trying to replace them.

Seems like shoes are a big problem! I have picky feet and it's always a struggle to find affordable, comfortable pairs even in common styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiCosplay View Post
A teapot should be easy to find. And light bubblegum pink stockings too.
Have you looked at welovecolors? I have some bubblegum pink tights from there, not sure if they'd be the right shade for you though.
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #15
Hello Goodbye

A tie clip that is not like $150! Seriously, why can't there be some super cheap $20 fake silver one somewhere? Heck, even the expensive ones are hard to find.

My Dad offered to loan me his when he found out I needed one. But.....It's a family heirloom that belonged to his great grandfather. I do not want to be responsible for that at a con!!
Tamaki Suoh-Ouran Highschool Host Club (Complete!)
Haru-Tsuritama (Complete!)
Minami (Avatar!)- Baka and Test (10% Complete)
Other Ideas: Crona (Soul Eater),Lavi (D. Gray Man),Ginko (Mushi-shi), Finny (Black Butler), Kyo (Fruits Basket), Sue (Clover)
Hello Goodbye is offline   Reply With Quote