Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 866 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 12-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #136
bag0k
Sailor srs >:|

Oh man... gotta find something to do next. I'm itching for a new project. (not... literally... O_o) My mom wants me to do something with pink satin... -_- I asked for a white petticoat for christmas and I'm crossing my fingers hoping that I'll get it. I've ALWAYS wanted one 'o those... Just think of the cool aweome win things one can make with a white petticoat... *stares off*

Unread 12-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #137
PrettyKittyMulu
UNDERSEA LOLCANOES?!

Oh man, I really love cosplay at the moment. It helped me finish my lab report for chemistry..we had to make an analogy with types of reactions and I used different parts of making a Harry Potter costume..if it was possible to hug a hobby like this, I'd give cosplay the biggest hug it's ever had. :3 And that probably made no sense whatsoever..and we STILL haven't gone fabric shopping! >.<

cosspace

2011: Zenkaikon, CPAC, Animazement, AnimeNEXT, Otakon, New York Comic Con, AnimeUSA
2012: MangaNEXT, plus all of the above (hopefully)
Current cosplays: Chun Li [Street Fighter] (red alternate); Wonder Woman; Mio [K-ON!] (Don't Say Lazy dress)
Planned: Taokaka [Blazblue]; Soranik Natu [Green Lantern comics]
PrettyKittyMulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:19 PM   #138
RevGirl
The Kitty Witch

Anyone ever suffer an injury that hindered their cosplay? My right hand is currently in a splint which dashed any hope I had of getting my costumes for Katsucon ahead of time. I don;t know when I'll be able to use it again, it still hurts after a month. >_< It really saddened me, since I have all my materials for making this giant pair of black angel wings and I can't start on it yet. The cosplay gods have smote me good.

(a black rose saga ballad)

"Ninty-nine rose duelists dead on the wall
Ninty-nine rose duelists dead.
You take the ring out and shove the corpse down
Ninty-eight rose duelists dead on the wall."

I claimed Hyuuga Neji from Naruto in the Claim an Anime Character Thread!
RevGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 02:44 AM   #139
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Why do I like the way I look so much better when I'm all bound up to have a flat chest and am wearing boys' clothes...? ...Eh, maybe I better not follow that train of thought...

*hums*

Since we cosplay most of the characters we RP, is the girlfriend going to want to cosplay Aziraphale and Crowley?

Oh crap. If she does, does that mean I have to make two large pairs of wings? ;_;

Okay, brain. Stop trying to figure out how to design wings that could actually open and close gracefully with small concealed levers and such. Bad enough you wanted to make Luna's Gryffindor lion hat actually roar.
Unread 12-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #140
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Whatever is on my mind at this moment... hmmm....

When people dis "older cosplayers" for their age or age-related looks - I'd suggest just stop it. People who do that make themselves look truly narrow-minded and really foolish, and trust me, those of us who see that sort of behavior have long memories.

Anime HAS been available to the US market since at least the late 1960's. There have been fans, including fans who like to wear costumes AKA cosplay (and some still do), for at least as long. Sorry, but it's not just a "modern teen trend", even though it sometimes might appear to be so.

Perhaps most older cosplayers aren't as vocal on the internet as younger ones, or as numerous, or anywhere as obvious at conventions, but they certainly ARE there. For anyone who cracks "geezer" jokes, you will ALL be older too someday (if you aren't dead first ), and mostly likely you won't quite still look like such "fresh young things", even if you still happen to like cosplay.

What's wrong with accepting anime fandom and cosplay as the hobbies of an all-ages COMMUNITY? Because, in reality, that's what it IS.

As an also-member of the perpetually age-inclusive and genre-inclusive SF/F fandom, some current "tunnel-vision" views in Anime fandom these days sometimes make me laugh, or just boggle my mind...
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #141
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisu-sama
Whatever is on my mind at this moment... hmmm....

When people dis "older cosplayers" for their age or age-related looks - I'd suggest just stop it. People who do that make themselves look truly narrow-minded and really foolish, and trust me, those of us who see that sort of behavior have long memories.

Anime HAS been available to the US market since at least the late 1960's. There have been fans, including fans who like to wear costumes AKA cosplay (and some still do), for at least as long. Sorry, but it's not just a "modern teen trend", even though it sometimes might appear to be so.

Perhaps most older cosplayers aren't as vocal on the internet as younger ones, or as numerous, or anywhere as obvious at conventions, but they certainly ARE there. For anyone who cracks "geezer" jokes, you will ALL be older too someday (if you aren't dead first ), and mostly likely you won't quite still look like such "fresh young things", even if you still happen to like cosplay.

What's wrong with accepting anime fandom and cosplay as the hobbies of an all-ages COMMUNITY? Because, in reality, that's what it IS.

As an also-member of the perpetually age-inclusive and genre-inclusive SF/F fandom, some current "tunnel-vision" views in Anime fandom these days sometimes make me laugh, or just boggle my mind...
I agree and I am one of those 'older' cosplayers though I never mention it much since I don't really look my age. Although I'm new to cosplay I've been watching anime since the mid 1970s-early 1980's. I wonder why some people are like that.

In a related vein- Why are people so concerned that a cosplayer's body type should match the character they are cosplaying or that in order to cosplay a certain character you have to look like said character? Cosplay is supposed to be a fun hobby and your body type should have nothing to do with who you want to cosplay as.

Why do some people think they own a certain series or character and that no one else better dare to find out about "their" series or cosplay "their" character? The only people who own a series or characters and the only people to whom they are copywritten are the mangaka and the animation studios that produce or dub them.
Unread 12-15-2005, 09:23 AM   #142
Yueri

Im happy I already chose my cosplays for at leat half of the next year n.n It feels great since it was really tiring to plan a cosplay half a month before the con ad having no sewing machine (such as in Adora T.T) This time Im set for next year n.n!!
Unread 12-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #143
HolyDragon01
Lone Star Cosplayer~

*sigh*
why did i left my costumes back there..man, that's pretty stupid, when i moved to US, too much thing i brought here..and sadly, i have to left my costumes..
now i regret it..oh well, maybe just make new one, or just making props for my own.. can't quit from this hobby..i'm suffering from incurable illness..hm~, Cosplay Complex, no known cure for this one
HolyDragon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #144
SkippingSith
FOR GONDOR!

Off topic, briefly: why are tv commercials so friggin stupid? what happened to the good stuff?

on topic: OMG I'M DONE WITH FINALS AND PASSED A CLASS I WAS WORRIED ABOUT SO NOW IT'S COSPLAY TIME!!! YAY!
SkippingSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #145
Tenebrae
Happy New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevGirl
Anyone ever suffer an injury that hindered their cosplay?
ALL THE TIME.
I have bad joints. Some days they're worse than others.
There was a time when I was sewing on the floor and my spine just couldn't take it. I was going to set up a sewing room in the basement, but:
a) The basement floods (I lost a lot of sewing supplies that way and now keep everything in plastic containers, even though they're not in the basement anymore).
b) The basement is afflicted by multiple plagues of insects. We had millipedes in the summer and now we're back to the Mutant Hunchback Cave Crickets from Outer Space.
c) As if that's not enough, it would also isolate me from my family too much.

We finally got the kitchen table cleaned off and some nice padded comfy new chairs for it so I've been sewing there now. It's a lot more comfy, but I still can't sit up there and sew for long.
I'm all sore from getting some last minute holiday shopping done (and dropping by Jo-Ann's again for more fabric and thread and stuff) so I'm procrastinating again...
*sigh*

BTW, I'm also one of those older cosplayers. I definitely agree with Karisu-sama.

Andrea: Bind away. Your Shirtless Wonder avatar pic is just too cool. heh

-Tenebrae.
Unread 12-15-2005, 08:29 PM   #146
WalMart_Manager
Cone Sold Stober

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevGirl
Anyone ever suffer an injury that hindered their cosplay? My right hand is currently in a splint which dashed any hope I had of getting my costumes for Katsucon ahead of time. I don;t know when I'll be able to use it again, it still hurts after a month. >_< It really saddened me, since I have all my materials for making this giant pair of black angel wings and I can't start on it yet. The cosplay gods have smote me good.
I know how you feel. I get running-related injuries easily, and they can prevent me from being able to stand or walk for anything more than an hour. I also have to wear orthotics, lest the muscles of my left foot get literally shredded. Having those in prevent me from wearing sandals, or even boots, for a costume, because going without them makes it painful to walk.
Unread 12-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #147
YoshidaEri

I need more light pink thread, and quick.

And I want to work on my purple Viyuden dress.
Otakon 2008 + August 8th-10th 2008 + Baltimore Maryland
AnimeFest 2008 + August 29th - September 1st + Dallas Texas
YoshidaEri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 11:44 PM   #148
ShiroInu
The Fullmetal Midget

. . . is it wrong that I'm worrying about my Ed costume 8 months in advance?

. . . will my idea of buying an army dress uniform work for my Integral costume?

. . . if so, is 50$ enough to buy one?

. . . is it wrong for me to tell my friends which characters they look like in the hopes that they'll add it to their cosplay list? (I swear one of my friends would make an awesome Aerith.)

. . . I really need to buy the fabric and pattern so I can get started on my Ed coat.

. . . I really need to learn how to sew, in particular, hand sew. I try, but it's not very strong.

. . . I wish my mother would treat my costumes like actual clothes, and finish the hem on my InuYasha coat. Just because they're costumes which I'll only wear once (not true actually - I wear my InuYasha coat all the time) doesn't mean you can cut corners.

. . . My friends should get started on their costumes. There's only 8 more months until AE2006. We should plan an outing - Value Village, then Salvation Army, and then E-spot for a little DDR exercise.
ShiroInu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2005, 03:11 AM   #149
Evolution

WHEN is that infernal Deadman hat going to get here!!!???
Unread 12-16-2005, 03:44 AM   #150
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Gah! I *really* need to finally cut out Hatsuhara's damn trenchcoat and chaps*
*mental cry*
WHY do I always pick characters with coats to cosplay?
*mental squeal*
My Hatsuhara wig is *awesome*! I'm so happy with it!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote