Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1068 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 01-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #48316
Zerelixon
Cheshire's Grin

ACH!! The waiting is killing me!! Waiting for 5 wigs, tons of small accessories and a huuuuge load of fabric in the mail (for 2 Hogwarts robes and for my Grave of Maria cosplay). Why can't it all come now?! I REALLY want to get started with the sewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoredHeart View Post
Weekend, hurry up and get here! I need to go see the FMA movie and bedazzle my Miku! And oh gosh, best idea ever. I should find cherry blossom scented body spray/lotion for my Sakura cosplays.

Slightly random, but out of curiosity, how does one go about asking another cosplayer if they would be willing to do a shoot with them? Like, it's one thing if you already know the person, but if it's someone you don't know too well, is that kinda awkward? o-o; Not entirely sure how this sort of etiquette works, since I've only done a solo shoot aside from cosplay gatherings which are obviously a different case. I'd really like to try doing shoots with other cosplayers. ^^; I'd especially love to find a Syaoran for either one of my Sakuras. xD;
*laughs* Best idea ever with with the cherry blossom scent I'm sorry I don't know much about that sort of etiquette myself, but I guess if you compliment their costume and ask friendly if they would like to do a shoot, then the worst thing they can do is to say no, right? I think the clue is just to be friendly and polite. ^^
Desucon:7 - Zelman Clock (Black Blood Brothers)

Cosplays planned for 2013:
Uppcon:13 - Farron (OC)
Azure Kite (.hack//Roots/G.U)
Zerelixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #48317
akishiko
Loli act

I'm waiting for my Miku wig and contemplating whether to get a wig head or not. I can't afford to but anything atm ;_;

Say hi to me, hug me, whatever!
Hyper Japan (Nov 2012)
Izumi Konata, Haruhi ver. [Lucky Star]

London MCM Expo (May 2012)
Kasugano Sakura [Street Fighter] - Definite
Other ideas: Satonaka Chie [Persona 4]; Sakura Kyoko [Puella Magi Madoka Magica]
akishiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #48318
Celia Rose
wanna-be abs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoredHeart View Post
Slightly random, but out of curiosity, how does one go about asking another cosplayer if they would be willing to do a shoot with them? Like, it's one thing if you already know the person, but if it's someone you don't know too well, is that kinda awkward? o-o; Not entirely sure how this sort of etiquette works, since I've only done a solo shoot aside from cosplay gatherings which are obviously a different case. I'd really like to try doing shoots with other cosplayers. ^^; I'd especially love to find a Syaoran for either one of my Sakuras. xD;
I usually shoot solo or with friends, so I haven't had to ask strangers for shoots very often. "otz But these tips have worked for me when the opportunity came:
If you meet someone you want to shoot with at a gathering, you could ask to meet them later for a photoshoot. If you meet someone in the halls or something, compliment their costume, maybe ask for a picture, and ask if you can meet up later for a shoot.

--

who got a snow day? I got a snow day.

Cosplay workday! Aw yeah~
Celia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #48319
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

OMG! OMG! OMG! Fred Gallagher is going to be at Ohayocon!!! I'm so glad I was planning to go as Miho! This is going to be awesome!! I get to meet Piro!!!!
</fangirling>

Working on:
First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Science Officer [DS9]

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Science Officer [FC], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), The Dude (on The Grid)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #48320
LeekFish
Clow Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerelixon View Post
*laughs* Best idea ever with with the cherry blossom scent I'm sorry I don't know much about that sort of etiquette myself, but I guess if you compliment their costume and ask friendly if they would like to do a shoot, then the worst thing they can do is to say no, right? I think the clue is just to be friendly and polite. ^^
Thank you! c: And quite true. I just tend to get a smidge shy with people I've just met/been acquainted with. xD; Thank you. >u<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Rose View Post
I usually shoot solo or with friends, so I haven't had to ask strangers for shoots very often. "otz But these tips have worked for me when the opportunity came:
If you meet someone you want to shoot with at a gathering, you could ask to meet them later for a photoshoot. If you meet someone in the halls or something, compliment their costume, maybe ask for a picture, and ask if you can meet up later for a shoot.
Yeah, I don't really mind shooting solo, but I think it'd be a lot of fun shooting with someone else for a change. xD; Problem is, I don't really have any friends that cosplay from the same series. OTL But I suppose I'll have to keep my eyes open for other cosplayers, then! Thank you. c: And enjoy your snow day! xD

2013 Cosplays
Ultimate Madoka, Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 93%
Fluttershy, My Little Pony - 85%
Cocoa, Fisheye Placebo - 100%
Gumi (Camellia), Vocaloid - 50%
Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony - 60%
Fionna, Adventure Time - 70%
LeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #48321
tereshkova2001

If my costume complements someone else's, I'll ask to pose with them right on the spot. There are a number of photos of my Captain Hammer beating up a Doctor Horrible I only just met.
I've never asked for a major photoshoot, though. I would feel a little awkward about inconveniencing a stranger that much.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #48322
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee_Frye View Post
OMG! OMG! OMG! Fred Gallagher is going to be at Ohayocon!!! I'm so glad I was planning to go as Miho! This is going to be awesome!! I get to meet Piro!!!!
</fangirling>
YAY!!!!! Although i wont be there it sounds super excitingXDD Good Luck(>v0)bb

On some news i finally paid for my short red wig, NOW i am happy i can finally cosplay Ruiko (Zone 00) and possibly Ottoya Ikki (Uta No Prince Sama) I think if i can squeal i would(>V<)

~Working On/Non Con Currently~
Clawdeen Wolf Ver.Unannounced (Monster High)~20%
Scheherazade Al-Rahman Ver.Cheongsam (Trinity Blood)~0%

~Youmacon 2014 Lineup~
Misuzu Kamio (Air) ~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)~80%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #48323
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

SeeU purse is finally done. Oh good lord, the death count of needles and pins for this cosplay... -has a funeral for their countless numbers- Which is strange to me, considering how light the fabric is. But something about that skirt fabric is a needle killer...

Now, to finish up some small details. Then I get to dream about some more awesome cosplays. :3
~Borderlands 2: Buzzaxe (Slowly getting there)

Fixing:
~Taokaka~ ~Skyrim Mage~

Cosplay Tumblr
DeviantArt
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #48324
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrac View Post
SeeU purse is finally done. Oh good lord, the death count of needles and pins for this cosplay... -has a funeral for their countless numbers- Which is strange to me, considering how light the fabric is. But something about that skirt fabric is a needle killer...

Now, to finish up some small details. Then I get to dream about some more awesome cosplays. :3
Well at least no more pins and needles will die at the hands of SeeU now.

I really have to stop planning on how I'm going to be making my cosplays for next year. I really need to figure out how to make Gakuko's hair piece but here I am trying to figure out how to make Garbage Doll from Clannad and what kind of fabric I should use for the Girl from the Illusion World's dress.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #48325
CardinalWinter

I wish I looked better as a blonde, there are so many cosplays I'd love to do with really light blonde hair but I know it'd probably look horrible with my olive toned skin.
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #48326
LeekFish
Clow Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalWinter View Post
I wish I looked better as a blonde, there are so many cosplays I'd love to do with really light blonde hair but I know it'd probably look horrible with my olive toned skin.
I know how that feels. D: I'd love to cosplay as Mami from Madoka Magica, but I highly doubt I could pull it off. OTL

Yay! I got in touch with the photographer I met at AX and asked if she still wanted to do a shoot or two at Fanime, and she does! Super excited now. c':

2013 Cosplays
Ultimate Madoka, Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 93%
Fluttershy, My Little Pony - 85%
Cocoa, Fisheye Placebo - 100%
Gumi (Camellia), Vocaloid - 50%
Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony - 60%
Fionna, Adventure Time - 70%
LeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #48327
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Things I have missed: having craft projects to work on during breaks at work.

Things I have not missed: working with silk chiffon. Beautiful fabric, but a bitch to make behave. At least it's just a rolled hem for a scarf ...
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #48328
Write Knight
Addicted to BIG Costumes

Berserk Fury's head is currently gluing together. Did some initial cutting before gluing the pieces together to try to cut down on the amount of work later when it's harder to reach and carve certain spots. It should be ready to start shaping completely Sunday morning. I want to put LED's in it's eyes, but I'd have to run 10 feet of wire back to where I operate it to have the switch and batteries readily accessible. I have maybe 3 more things to buy after all. Also made the Fury's toes, so the legs are up next for a bit of work.

-----------------
What needs doing? Here's my laundry list of things. Lucky for me, it's all the artistic work where all the risky engineering work is said and done and tested.

Head + neck
-Detail carving neck
-Seal neck
-Paint neck
-Armor neck
-Detail carving the head
-Rigging the head to levers for operation
-Seal the head
-Paint the head
-Install eye lenses (leaving room for future addition of LED's in the eyes)
-Add teeth

Legs
-Detail carve the toes
-Attach the toes to the feet
-Finalize rough cut of the legs
-Add washers to reduce foam squeak
-Add fake Hydraulics and other small details
-Seal foam
-Paint black
-light coat of dark gray for highlights
-Build leg armor
-Tighten joints slightly
-Cement PVC joints.

Arms
-Carve details
-Add third finger
-Add zoid cap to elbow
-Seal foam
-Paint black
-Light coat of dark gray
-Build armor
-Tighten shoulder joint slightly

Torso
-Seal off from of chest with cloth panel (Postponed until interior is finalized for ease of access)
-trim excess cloth around neck intersection
-Build Armor (most simple to build from the looks of it)

Tail
-Sanding down roughness
-Carve out details
-Sand tail joint interlocking sections
-Add washers to tail joints for smoother sway
-Seal
-paint black
-Add delicate details after painting
-Build armor
-Assemble 4 tail sections

Fury pack
-Cement PVC rig
-Paint PVC rig black
-Liquid nails fury pack
-Smooth and detail Fury Pack
-Seal
-Paint
-Cut out boosters
-----(Boosters painted and sealed seperate because of white vs black)
-Detail boosters
-Seal boosters
-paint boosters
-----(Fury claws painted with boosters but dusted with a light silver coat)
-Sand down Fury claws
-Make claws sit uniformly with coat hanger wire
-Detail carving claws
-Seal claws
-Paint

Cockpit
-Add cup holder
-Add levers for head and jaw rig
-possibly add small computer fan to keep self cooler
Write Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #48329
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Weeee, I'm actually going to save a fair bit of money at Con-G this year. I budgeted $350 for it ($125 for my train, staying with my boyfriend at his house so no hotel, $25 for the badge, $50 to spend on food/debit, $100 spending cash and $50 for emergency/spare money).... train fare's on sale and I saved $20, the way we planned eating out I'll probably have 20 or so left, and then if nothing comes up where I need to fork out an extra $50? Well, there's almost $100 leftover to put back in for next year. I certainly wasn't expecting to have that much left over.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #48330
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

And of course, now that I'm replaying Eternal Sonata I actually like the one girl who dies halfway through the game and you can go and bring back to life later in this dungeon. Why does that always happen to me? It's the same with Hope from XIII. Didn't like him, now that I've beaten the game and read Tumblr comments on the character, he's one of my favs. This just adds to my list of characters I want to cosplay now. -w-U I think next year I'm going to cosplay all females since I always do a majority of males every time I go to Anime Expo. It'll be interesting.

Cons Attending
[Miku Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote