Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1565 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #48766
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Sweeeet. Turns out the alterations shop in the mall occasionally sells clearance notions and thread. So I picked up the perfect colour of Gutermann thread for the cloaks I'll be making soon.
Two spools. For two bucks. Compared to the six or seven I'd spend at Fabricland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #48767
Aminafo
Do the windy thing!

Fixed my sleeve...mostly. It still puckered a little, but this time it won't be noticeable with the costume completed, so I've thrown up my hands.

Now to make the hood and hem everything, and I'll be almost done. Anyone know a good fabric that doesn't fray to make a symbol? I don't think yellow paint will work too well on an orange dress.
No Face/Spirited Away - 50%
Dolorosa/Homestuck - 20%
Aminafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #48768
LeekFish
Clow Reader

I do not want to cosplay as Tintin. No, I do not want to begin working on Amy Rose. NO, BRAIN, STOP IT. STOP IT I SAY.

2013 Cosplays
Ultimate Madoka, Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 93%
Fluttershy, My Little Pony - 85%
Cocoa, Fisheye Placebo - 100%
Gumi (Camellia), Vocaloid - 50%
Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony - 60%
Fionna, Adventure Time - 70%
LeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #48769
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminafo View Post
Fixed my sleeve...mostly. It still puckered a little, but this time it won't be noticeable with the costume completed, so I've thrown up my hands.

Now to make the hood and hem everything, and I'll be almost done. Anyone know a good fabric that doesn't fray to make a symbol? I don't think yellow paint will work too well on an orange dress.

When I did the decorative designs on my Link cosplay, I satin stitched with my machine around the edges of the symbol, then carefully snipped away any fabric/fraying to the outside of the stitch. It worked out really well, and gives it a nice look. But if you don't want to go that route, Fray Check- or whatever the heck it's called- will prevent fraying. If all else fails, felt, vinyl, pleather, or suede could work. ((Sorry if all my fabric suggestions are kind of... unusual? I'm not well-versed in the way of fabrics, lol. XD))
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #48770
SA2R
King of the Skies

Just realized I know nothing about label making XD Here comes some fun time~ with trial and error owo;;

Naraku - Inu-yasha
Diamond - Sakizou
Ketchawacha armor - Monster Hunter 4
Casual Hiro - Big Hero 6

My user name is pronounced: Sa-tu-our.

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #48771
wanderingdreamr
Needs to do more kniting

So that day I said I'd work on cosplay, went and burned myself instead so I haven't actually gotten much done lately. >.< But I have been obsessing over one thing lately: some jackets have what looks (and stretches) like ribbing at the cuffs and around the bottom of the jacket, DOES THIS ACTUALLY HAVE A NAME? Seriously, it's been bothering me for about a month now.
wanderingdreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #48772
LunarMatique
Gundam Meister

I hate wanting to cosplay a character so badly, but no one else in the group knows/wants to do the series...

I'm referring to Gundam Unicorn. I really wanna cosplay Banagher Links, but I'm the only real Gundam fan in my cosplay group. At least I convinced my fiancee to be my Audrey Burne even though she hates pink. :]
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #48773
Celia Rose
wanna-be abs of steel

Zombie Panty has been pushed back to March 9. Thank God, because I am nowhere near ready. ;____;
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #48774
biggest_freak

What's constantly on my mind is how damn short I am and how many people I wanna cosplay as are tall D:
biggest_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #48775
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Well, I've only got 20 cosplays I want to through 2016. Oh wait, 21 possibly. The last one depends on what my friends do for their 10th anniversary. Now maybe everyone'll stop saying I'm spending too much on this. Especially since 3 of them aren't new cosplays, just making existing ones better.

2016 Plans: MARcon, DragonCon
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #48776
myalchod
reflections and dreams

I've realised that how slowly I seem to work compared to almost everyone in my usual cosplay circle probably isn't helping my vague feelings of alienation, especially when I've been gravitating to different source material lately, but knowing this doesn't make it any better. Vexed ...

But happy thoughts! Pulled my sewing machine back out and set it up upstairs last night. Need to get my head around the roll-hem foot and ruffler this week, methinks, but tonight I plan to stew up a bunch of ribbon and feathers on my stove. Yay, custom-dyeing. :3
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Tumblr ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #48777
Write Knight
Addicted to BIG Costumes

So I may have grossly over-estimated how much weight I'd be trimming off Berserk Fury today... What I thought would be a 15 pound reduction only feels like 5 shoved into a garbage bag, but hey, It's still an improvement. The new setup is also much easier to put on, though I need help to retract the standing posts. Now I just need to drill 2 holes and bring everything outside for assembly and a test run, then it's off to home depot for one Final insulation board to replace a broken leg segment (broke when the leg fell off the body in a way not intended to ever happen due to a missing linch-pin)
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #48778
QueenPegasus

Went and grab paint to fix Beryl's neck and headpiece and grab her pattern so I can read the instructions/take it with me next week fabric shopping. Oh and her extra extenstions came today with means I can start on the wefts YAY =D lets hope I don't get de-railed somehow :3
QueenPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #48779
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggest_freak View Post
What's constantly on my mind is how damn short I am and how many people I wanna cosplay as are tall D:
Do them anyway! The important thing is that you're having fun. And sometimes it's fun to do a character that you're the opposite of in some way.

2016 Plans: MARcon, DragonCon
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #48780
Write Knight
Addicted to BIG Costumes

Test Successful! Big success! It feels awesome to be just right! The balance on Berserk Fury has proven to be centered right on target! With the rig finally balanced, it FEELS so much lighter than it used to as seperate pieces! Walking int he fury is a snap, and I've got a good 270 degrees possible vision! Now I just need to replace a piece on the legs, and try again while using the legs this time instead of leaving them off for testing purposes, and then is that goes well, I just need to tweek a couple places, add a linch pin or two in order to insure certain pieces don't fall off, and then I can start putting some real detail into this thing =D SO PLEASED YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW! Like, "Beating the elite four for the first time ever when you're 6 years old" pleased!