Okay. Here goes. Wall of text incoming.
All of the images in this post, as well as a couple other misc progress shots are in an album
, if you want to visit that rather than opening a bunch of tabs.
I am probably going into more detail than is necessary, but I don't have much else to do.
I decided to work on the armor this weekend.
First, last night, I spent some time figuring out what exactly I want the breastplate to look like. I decided I would put a piece shaped like a rectangle with an elliptical arc on on side on each side of the curved main piece. This
is what it looks like. To attach it, I glued some scrap muslin to the back of each smaller piece, leaving about a quarter inch of extra along the curved edge where they connect. Here
is a picture of the fabric overlap
While waiting for the fabric to dry, I started to work on the shoulder pads. Here
is a nice picture of the inside I took to show how it goes together. They sort of do not match in height
. I hope to redo them for PAX, but I may not find time.
Anyways, I started to cover them with clay to smooth out the paper mache. Here
is a shot when I was halfway through.
Then I had an idea to give the edges a raised rim, like they have in the art. I started by rolling out a long string of clay, then put it around the edge and smoothed it like crazy. When I was done, they looked like this, and it was midnight. So I called it a night.
is a picture of what I am going for, by the way.
Today, after breakfast, I got back to work. I cut out pieces of 6mm foam to form a raised edge (the part that is white in the earlier photo). Here
is a picture of the cut out pieces. I glued two opposite corners down, and I am typing this while they dry. Here
is a picture of the drying process. Hopefully it will be dry enough by this evening so that I can put the other pieces on before I go to sleep.