Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #53086
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Went to Jo-Anns and used a ton of coupons and got a bunch of stuff. ^_^ I wish I got more butternick patterns though since they were being sold at .99 cents... >_> Oh well. At least I can get back to work on embroidering now and finishing up Tamak.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #53087
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Finally done with bias tape! Thought I'd be making bias tape for the rest of my life for awhile. Now I get to hand sew it to my headpiece. Joy. Have 2 weeks to finish it so I'll have time to practice putting it the costume and walking.
Unread 07-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #53088
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

[Super-long rant post]
I'm in one of those ruts where if I don't get or start something for a cosplay soon, I will probably start whining about how I'm a horrible cosplayer or how everyone's so much better than me or I never make friends at cons anyways or whydoIevenbother... I really don't want to e-e

But here's my dilemma..if I want another costume or another part of a costume I need to buy it or the materials to make it..thanks to the accident yesterday my grandmother didn't get her money, meaning she can't pay me until the end of the week, meaning I can't get anything until then and...I'm pretty much stuck at home with nothing to really do except play Wii and look at cosplays and draw and get just a little more disheartened about everything >A<;

I really want to get the stuff to try to properly make this cane into Ciel's...all I would need is clay and paint but I can't even get that until this weekend! orz Then I have the sword I could make...or a stuffed animal if I tried..I have ideas but none of the materials to achieve them right now.

Also, I have the money for my Ciel wig but the shop is moving location, so they're closed until the 19th, meaning I have to wait until Monday to order it.

URGH. I don't want this break! I want to work on stuff! Dx Why is it always when I want to work that my life decides it wants to prevent me from it?

TL;DR: Oh my god I am about to want to stop cosplaying and need to work on stuff NOW but life wants to keep me from it.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #53089
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

Waaaaagh, paycheck tonight, paycheck tonight! ... But I'm trying to control myself. While I will have the money to buy my scale armor, that doesn't mean I should. Not yet. >.>

... PATIENCE, Y U NO HAVE WILL OF IRON?
Kagerou (Fire Emblem: Fates) - 77%
Foleo (Fire Emblem: Fates) - planning
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #53090
Haevei
Resides amongst the grey.

I ended up buying a 2nd Miku wig because I think I got caught in a scam. ;A; If not, looks like I am getting two wigs. I told the seller on Ebay that I would give him a bad rating because I know how much that means to people, especially Asian sellers. 0_0 >_> XD It will be amusing.

I was looking on here and bought it from the Five Wits place, so hopefully that goes well and it will ship fast since it is in the U.S.<3
Taiyou Con 2013

Upcoming Cosplays
Miku Hatsune Lolita from Vocaloid
Allen Walker from D.Gray Man
Undertaker from Kuroshitsuji
Haevei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #53091
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haevei View Post
I ended up buying a 2nd Miku wig because I think I got caught in a scam. ;A; If not, looks like I am getting two wigs. I told the seller on Ebay that I would give him a bad rating because I know how much that means to people, especially Asian sellers. 0_0 >_> XD It will be amusing.

I was looking on here and bought it from the Five Wits place, so hopefully that goes well and it will ship fast since it is in the U.S.<3
I can definitely vouch for the Five Wits. Their wigs only take a couple of days to ship and are really really good. Though, I've never bought a long wig for them, so I'm not sure how big of an issue tangles will be ^^"
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #53092
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

I actually just wasted multiple days trying to comb out a long wig, so I have plenty of advice on how to deal with that if it happens!

The "hot water straightening" method was definitely helpful for me, but before you do that, I'd try soaking a tangled wig in hot water with fabric softener mixed in. That spray leave-in conditioner works wonders as well! A straightener is also insanely useful if you've got a heat-resistant wig (ex, kanekalon or elora), as it'll help you work out any kinks in the fiber.

Make sure you don't comb it while it's wet, either-- you'll wind up stretching the fibers and getting crazy frizzy ends. That was incredibly frustrating.
  • Blanche (Pokemon GO): 0% (Planning) MAGfest 2017
  • Lelouch [Emperor Robes] (Code Geass) : ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #53093
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reily96 View Post
Waaaaagh, paycheck tonight, paycheck tonight! ... But I'm trying to control myself. While I will have the money to buy my scale armor, that doesn't mean I should. Not yet. >.>

... PATIENCE, Y U NO HAVE WILL OF IRON?
So a friend of mine makes his living making and selling scale/chain armor. And decking out gloves and leather jackets and other pieces of clothing in the most badass way he possibly can. He's coming over tomorrow to hang out and watch anime and work on his stuff. If you have any questions about the process of making scale armor, or anything else, you'd like me to forward along to him, just let me know. : D
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #53094
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Oooh, that'll be super fun! (I'm so jealous, I'd love to learn from an expert! His stuff is amazing.)

I'm curious about what sorts of tools he uses to bend the rings, if it's jewelry pliers, or something else entirely. Where does he get his scales/rings from? Also, what's the fastest way to connect two pieces of chainmail together? And just out of curiosity, how does one connect sections of chain mail to fabric?

This could save me so much time on my Link armour... @.@
  • Blanche (Pokemon GO): 0% (Planning) MAGfest 2017
  • Lelouch [Emperor Robes] (Code Geass) : ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube

Last edited by StarsOfCassiopeia : 07-18-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: I HAVE TOO MANY QUESTIONS
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #53095
MaryRyanBogard
A misfit among misfits

Whoever decided it would be a great idea to replace half the close, cheap food options near Otakon with a Ripley's Odditorium, I have something to say to you. And let's just say it's enough to make a Kevin Smith movie seem G-rated.

Sorry to any Ripley's fans reading this, but not only have food options been lost, but now that area will get even more crowded. Also, keep in mind how a good chunk of the non-cosplaying populace views us and how having such a place that close to a con- I think you see where I'm going with this. No, we/our costumes and props do not belong with hamburger grease portraits of ex-presidents, two-headed cattle, pieces of mummies, and drums made from human skulls, thank you very much.

Ginny Weasley and the Midnight Magic Party- the closest thing to a website I have right now.
MaryRyanBogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #53096
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
Oooh, that'll be super fun! (I'm so jealous, I'd love to learn from an expert! His stuff is amazing.)

I'm curious about what sorts of tools he uses to bend the rings, if it's jewelry pliers, or something else entirely. Where does he get his scales/rings from? Also, what's the fastest way to connect two pieces of chainmail together? And just out of curiosity, how does one connect sections of chain mail to fabric?

This could save me so much time on my Link armour... @.@
He is a really awesome guy. He is also seriously the most legitly badass person I've ever met. 6ft tall, goes to metal concerts with me, wears his chain mail shirt and boot covers and red wizardpunk leather jacket everywhere he goes, history of competitive martial arts. Was the most appropriate person to answer the door when a drunk guy with a knife tried to demand beer/money at a friend's party.

He's going to Otakon (and a billion more cons across the country if you're not going to that one) as either a vendor or in Artist Alley if you wanted to meet him in the future. : D

Anyway... He uses chaining pliers, which look extremely similar to jewelery pliers. He has winding rods and a power drill to make/cut his own rings from. Not sure where he gets his scales from, will ask tomorrow, but they come in bags of 500, if I remember right. Fastest way to connect chainmail to chainmail is with more rings (unless your question was about making big pieces quickly?). He usually rivets the chain mail to his jackets and gloves, I'm pretty sure he would rivet it to fabric too, since he sews very little. He even uses screws to attach buttons, instead of sewing them on. xD

EDIT: Derpderp I just read your sig. You should say hi to him at Otakon!

EDIT: Just some misc pieces of trivia I remember from the last time I hung out with my armor-making friend:

A scale shirt would be significantly cheaper and faster to make than a chain shirt of the same size. He says he might be able to crank out a scale shirt in about 15 hours.

It's easier to put rings/scales together when the pieces are dangling. So... Let's say you were making a rectangle that was 10 scales long and 8 rows wide. You'd link up the first 10 scales and then you'd keep the strand going and do the next 10 scales facing backwards. And then the next 10 scales facing the right way again, and so on until you had all 8 rows existing as an enormous chain, and then you'd chain the rows together to make your rectangle. If that made sense. .-. I only half understand it.

Things such as rubber rings exist, if you guys needed to make chain/scale armor that was stretchy~
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14

Last edited by Xanarcah : 07-20-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #53097
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Started sewing the white and black bias onto the cuffs of Tamaki's sleeves. My fingers hurt so much. T_T Four layers of fabric and I'm doing it by hand because I'm too nervous to do it by machine. Like with the underdress the white bias looks so bright. 0_0 Well, at least it looks nice. I guess I'll do a bit more tomorrow before I go to my internship.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #53098
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

After I finish with the embroidery for my bodice, I don't think I want to see another stitch of embroidery floss for a long time. I'm loving how it is looking, and glad that I chose to embroider it instead of paint it...

But this is almost painfully tedious. Even the cat is yawning. And this is what is keeping me from completing the costume - I've got all the bones and casings in, and everything is ready to go... just waiting on the dratted "fashion" layer, which likely has another weeks worth of embroidery to go.

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #53099
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I hired someone to style a wig for me. I payed her on the 6th, and she hasn't logged in since the 7th. I'm kind of worried about not having heard from her for 11 days, especially since I payed her 10 days ago... I'm probably worrying too much. She's gotten positive reviews and seems trust-worthy.
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #53100
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Just threw my Starry Sky skirt into the washer.

... I hope it doesn't fall apart. .-.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14