Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1565 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #56521
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

At least it was helpful. xD;

My machine is so much more knowledgeable and sophisticated than I am... It's really great for learning on (even for someone who's been making costumes for nearly 10 years), mostly because of all the information it gives you.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #56522
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I've got a Singer Merrit from 1987, here. It's not what I'd call fancy (everything's manually controlled and it doesn't have the quilting or embroidery extras), but it's tough as hell, and does all the basic stitches (straight, zigzags, blind hem, etc.and a friend of my Mom's showed me a trick to make thread bars). And it weighs at least fifteen pounds. It's not sliding around on the table, unlike every newer machine I've used. And I'll be in fashion school next year, so I get to experience industrials and sergers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #56523
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

I am finally done sewing the bias tape around my bodice. That was, quite honestly one of the most painful experiences I have ever had in sewing. I now have an even greater appreciation for my preferred RenFest garb seamstress, who finishes everything with custom bias tape.

Because the six layers of fabric were too thick for my sewing machine, and the boning in the bodice made it impossible to fit around and through the machine, I had to hand stitch it. If there is some super secret corset maker's trick that I missed, I'm going to feel really stupid.

Now that its all held together, I'm finally putting the grommets into the back of the bodice, which means I can finally try this thing on. Yes, that's right, I have embroidered, assembled, and hand stitched this whole thing together without really getting to try it on properly, because the grommets weren't supposed to go in until the nearly last step. I've held it up to me, pinned it to my dress form, all that, but I've never seen it fully laced up.

Wish me luck... I should have the grommets in the rest of the way tomorrow night. If it doesn't fit... I'm going to have to try really hard not to set the whole thing on fire.

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #56524
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

The fabric that I need for a cosplay I've been planing is 50% off!!! It's a sign to start now!!! *drives to fabric store*
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #56525
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

I really cannot wait for tax time now! I've been planning on ordering my TOS science dress for a while now. Recently I added getting a couple of yards of fabric from Spoonflower. Now I've added making a new coat for Harry Dresden. I recently found out that he does not wear a duster. He wears an Inverness coat! Today I found a Simplicty pattern for an Inverness coat. I can make myself a new canvas coat for under $35! I'm thinking next year I'll look into commissioning a leather one, now that I know the type of coat I need.

2016 Plans: MARcon, DragonCon
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #56526
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogoeth05 View Post
I really cannot wait for tax time now! I've been planning on ordering my TOS science dress for a while now. Recently I added getting a couple of yards of fabric from Spoonflower. Now I've added making a new coat for Harry Dresden. I recently found out that he does not wear a duster. He wears an Inverness coat! Today I found a Simplicty pattern for an Inverness coat. I can make myself a new canvas coat for under $35! I'm thinking next year I'll look into commissioning a leather one, now that I know the type of coat I need.
If you find a place to commission a leather Inverness coat, please share. I got my husband a leather duster for Christmas, but the latest book introduced the idea of the Inverness coat *shakes fist at Jim Butcher* and I'd love to find an accurate one. We are basing the costume for him off Harry from the earlier books, with the original staff, replacement shield bracelet, but the newer style pendant (with the added stone). Pretty sure he'll look like Dresden, even if we can't find The mythical black leather Inverness coat.

For the time being, I'm looking into commissioning a replacement mantle for the duster I did get him. He's got the shoulders of a linebacker, and unfortunately the mantle on the duster stands up like Saiyan armor shoulder pads from DBZ at current.

Unread 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #56527
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

My dad gave me his old tripod since he took my grandmother's newer and better tripod.

I now have a tripod/wig stand! Weeeeee! 8D
Kagerou (Fire Emblem: Fates) - 77%
Foleo (Fire Emblem: Fates) - planning
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #56528
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Ducky View Post
If you find a place to commission a leather Inverness coat, please share. I got my husband a leather duster for Christmas, but the latest book introduced the idea of the Inverness coat *shakes fist at Jim Butcher* and I'd love to find an accurate one. We are basing the costume for him off Harry from the earlier books, with the original staff, replacement shield bracelet, but the newer style pendant (with the added stone). Pretty sure he'll look like Dresden, even if we can't find The mythical black leather Inverness coat.

For the time being, I'm looking into commissioning a replacement mantle for the duster I did get him. He's got the shoulders of a linebacker, and unfortunately the mantle on the duster stands up like Saiyan armor shoulder pads from DBZ at current.
Will do! I will probably be shouting it from the rooftops so all frustrated Dresdens can finally get the right coat.

My first thought when I read that was "AN INVERNESS COAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

2016 Plans: MARcon, DragonCon
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #56529
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogoeth05 View Post
Will do! I will probably be shouting it from the rooftops so all frustrated Dresdens can finally get the right coat.

My first thought when I read that was "AN INVERNESS COAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
To be fair, I think he's always worn a duster previous to this (first the canvas one, and then the leather one that Susan gave him). The latest iteration is an Inverness coat. And since black leather ones are impossible to find, I'm just going to blame the Fae for it, since it was almost certainly a custom job in universe as well.

Aaanyway... My Dresden is wearing a duster for this Dragon*Con, because we have to start somewhere :P

Unread 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #56530
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Picture up of Pascal. It was fun running around with that scarf of hers. However, something seems...off about the cosplay. Sure I'm not done yet but still, there's something...not right and it's bugging me. >_<

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #56531
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Rocky morning today trying to get everything ready for the new quarter (I teach 8 AM on Monday bluhhhh) and pack for Sac Anime this evening.

Things are starting to look up, though, so I'm staying positive!
My handmade fandom plush

Next event: SacAnime Summer
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #56532
Quinn the Shiki
He Married that Geranium

Oh crikey I am having so many unhappy Sailor Moon feels right now ;___;

I want to cosplay Zoisite so badly but I can't until I fix my sewing machine.
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) May-Pokemon, Peggy Carter-Marvel's Agent Carter, Jessica Jones-Netflix's Jessica Jones, Noah Czerny-The Raven Cycle, Dia Kurosawa-Love Live Sunshine, Osamu Dazai-Bungou Stray Dogs, Gilbert Nightray-Pandora Hearts, Hugh the bee boy-Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Graphic Novel version,) Cynthia-Pokemon,
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #56533
Sui Kune
I've got a can opener!

Aww, did I miss the boat on the topic of sewing machine recommendation/gushing? XD

Well, here goes anyway. Mine is a Pfaff Creative 1471 that was originally my mom's, complete with matching serger. (I really need to find that sucker again and actually practice on it, I've just been using my sewing mentor's serger.) I can't even describe how utterly beautiful a machine it is, and it's older than I am! (I'm 26 this coming August.) It's heavy, has a crapton of pre-programmed special stitches (including some simple embroidery), a built-in walking foot, and it is a beast. I swear this thing can sew through almost anything.

Like my Messiah of Silence skirt. Outside is suedecloth, lining is a little-heavier-than-shirtweight cotton sateen, with knife-pleated ruffles sandwiched in between in the hem. (I've since lost count of how many layers that was, but it was a lot.) The machine did complain a bit, but my god did it do a beautiful job with the added bonus of not bursting into flames.

Of course, the downside to an old machine being so awesome is that it pretty much holds its original retail value, so if I needed to replace it, I'd need to shell out $600-700. If I ever needed to though, I know it's worth every single cent.
☆ Sailor Saturn [Sailormoon S]
☆ Tomoe Hotaru [Mugen Gakuen Junior High Uniform]

沈黙のセーラー戦士、セーラーサターン!
Sui Kune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #56534
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Well...this sucks.

I got pink eye sometime yesterday, probably just before trying on my wigs because my eye looks redish in the pictures. So now I need to wash all the wigs I tried on yesterday because I don't want to risk it. I don't suppose I could just spray disinfectant on them? I'll probably have to do that for Seymour since that be difficult to wash.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #56535
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

Even though the convention is like, five months away, I've got serious con fever already after discussing the M'gann and Artemis costumes with a friend for like, three hours consecutively. I'm sort of waffling between buying the wig and dying my hair (HEADACHES, BRO), but either way...ah. CONVENTION COUNTDOWN.
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote