Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1126 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #57091
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahime View Post
That's a normal feeling for me. Usually I don't get excited about cons until I'm there actually. 8D Hahaha. You'll feel it once everyone's excitement rubs off on you at the con. You'll definitely have fun!
That's nice to know

I'm more worried than excited about it, though. My mom's coming with me...

Hopefully this isn't my first AND my last convention.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #57092
Akahime
Red Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
That's nice to know

I'm more worried than excited about it, though. My mom's coming with me...

Hopefully this isn't my first AND my last convention.
Haha. I get overly anxious and worried and well... a lot of emotions. Haha. But you'll be excited once you get there. :3 No worries. As for you mom, I would see why you would maybe dread a little, especially if she doesn't really understand cosplay/anime like my parents. Haha. But hopefully she'll have an opened mind and the both of you would eventually have fun. :3

Why would this be your last?
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaä (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #57093
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Haha. I get overly anxious and worried and well... a lot of emotions. Haha. But you'll be excited once you get there. :3 No worries. As for you mom, I would see why you would maybe dread a little, especially if she doesn't really understand cosplay/anime like my parents. Haha. But hopefully she'll have an opened mind and the both of you would eventually have fun. :3

Why would this be your last?
I'm afraid she won't let me keep cosplaying afterwards. :U

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

Unread 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #57094
Akahime
Red Princess

Quote:
I'm afraid she won't let me keep cosplaying afterwards. :U
It is because you think it'll be too strange for your mom? Or the cost of cosplay? Or everything above?

I think that may be something you'll have to live with until you're older (assuming you're younger) and have more independence. Even when I was still in college and dirt poor, my parents only didn't agree with my cosplaying because it cost too much money (that's pretty much their extend on the knowledge of what cosplay was, lol). Sometimes we all have to grow a little bit older and stronger to be able to say 'whof*ckingcares,yolobwatchhhhh' HAHAHAH, just kidding. Really.

Surprisingly, I waited about 3 or 4 years before I started to seriously cosplay. :3 Hahaha, but I guess it's because I had things like college to distract me so I didn't miss it as much. I actually forgot all about it until... actually, I don't even know how I got back into cosplaying (or even why I forgot all about it, lol). 8'D LOL SHEEZ. Typical me.

But if you want to seriously get into cosplay, I think you'll just have to slowly take one step at a time, especially if you think your mother won't like it. :3 Just ease her in, very slowly. And perhaps she'll like it more than she realize? But I wouldn't know.

Either way, let's focus on the present time! 8D Just go and have all of the fun that you can have.
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaä (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #57095
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Quote:
It is because you think it'll be too strange for your mom? Or the cost of cosplay? Or everything above?

I think that may be something you'll have to live with until you're older (assuming you're younger) and have more independence. Even when I was still in college and dirt poor, my parents only didn't agree with my cosplaying because it cost too much money (that's pretty much their extend on the knowledge of what cosplay was, lol). Sometimes we all have to grow a little bit older and stronger to be able to say 'whof*ckingcares,yolobwatchhhhh' HAHAHAH, just kidding. Really.

Surprisingly, I waited about 3 or 4 years before I started to seriously cosplay. :3 Hahaha, but I guess it's because I had things like college to distract me so I didn't miss it as much. I actually forgot all about it until... actually, I don't even know how I got back into cosplaying (or even why I forgot all about it, lol). 8'D LOL SHEEZ. Typical me.

But if you want to seriously get into cosplay, I think you'll just have to slowly take one step at a time, especially if you think your mother won't like it. :3 Just ease her in, very slowly. And perhaps she'll like it more than she realize? But I wouldn't know.

Either way, let's focus on the present time! 8D Just go and have all of the fun that you can have.
Agreeing to all of this!

Just to add my two cents, I would definitely try to show her how much fun you have at cons and by cosplaying. Parents want their kids to be happy, and by showing her it makes you happy, she might be more accepting of the hobby
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #57096
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:

Everything of the above. "Foolish, expensive, weird, not normal" and she alwyas says cosplay can't be an, "ongoing event" whatever that means...

/sigh Only if cosplay were "normal"

But yeah, I'll try to have all of the fun I can

Unread 01-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #57097
momomilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Sword View Post
OMG yes!!
YEAHH! I actually do have his wig for the western version! I wonder if I could find it.

Quote:
WHY YESSSSS! <33333 XD

I loveeee Oresama Teacher. 8D So much! <3 lol
I do toooo!!! It's sooo funny!

Quote:
My First con tomorrow....still not excited :/
Why not...? ;_;
Aw usually. I'm SUPPPER excited for every con I go to. Especially the night before. And then when I go to pick up my pre-reg on Day 0, I'm just like, even more excited to go lol. Ah yeah, my mom is like that too, she says cosplay is weird even though I've been going to conventions for like 6 years. But she's kind of funny because if a costume really suits me, she's like, 'you look so good!" then she'll ask me to show her pictures after the event haha XD
momomilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #57098
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomilk View Post
YEAHH! I actually do have his wig for the western version! I wonder if I could find it.

I do toooo!!! It's sooo funny!

Aw usually. I'm SUPPPER excited for every con I go to. Especially the night before. And then when I go to pick up my pre-reg on Day 0, I'm just like, even more excited to go lol. Ah yeah, my mom is like that too, she says cosplay is weird even though I've been going to conventions for like 6 years. But she's kind of funny because if a costume really suits me, she's like, 'you look so good!" then she'll ask me to show her pictures after the event haha XD
Hahahaaa....I wish my mom was more open to things like this.

anyway...I'm still super-bummed that I couldn't get the cosplay wig I wanted for Luxray-- and that my mom keeps suggesting Party City wigs (ugh, no, just no...). Guess I have to go wigless :'(

Unread 01-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #57099
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Sword View Post
If you can tell me your length in centimeters and what color/patterns you are looking for I can help you out with finding men's kimono.
Ah, thanks! it'd be awesome if you could help - especially since you know hot to look, unlike me XD. I'm around 152-153 cm. for Kenshin, I'm doing the rurouni version, so I'm trying to find something in plain red and that's proving to be pretty difficul on color alone. D: since I plan on doing Tomoe in his "working outfit" rather than his casual wear, I'm looking for a plain white or off-white. Heck, I figure if I could find two white ones, I could slways dye one red... the ones I've found have just been way expensive...
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #57100
Celia Rose
wanna-be abs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
I'm seriously debating about trying to pull together Fate/Extra CCC version of Heroine for AnimeNorth instead of wearing the version from the first game. I'm looking at pictures from last year and the memory of the heat on Friday is coming back. From wearing the blazer for an hour for the shoot, I was already warm. I really don't want to die from the heat. :/ Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: I really don't want to post in the sewing fourms for such a simple question but what kind of shape would I need to make her scarf? I'm guessing rectangle but the way the ends look, it doesn't seem like a rectangle...
The talk of warm-weather cons makes me so jealous right now. It's barely reached above 20F here. ;_____;

As for the scarf, I'd go with a triangle scarf, or make a narrow rectangular scarf with tapered ends like this (minus the wire).

--

I'm feeling such a strong urge to cosplay Black Widow from the Avengers movie for Sakura-Con, but she's way out of my budget. "otz especially when I'm supposed to be cutting back and preparing for a break from cosplay while I settle into a four-year university program.

In the mean time, I'm fixing up old costumes that haven't had proper photoshootsin a long time, like LION Sheryl, San, Rei Miyamoto, etc.
lol I thought I was only going to bring two cosplays to Sakura-Con this year, but the list is getting bigger and bigger. xD
Celia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #57101
momomilk

Quote:
Hahahaaa....I wish my mom was more open to things like this.

anyway...I'm still super-bummed that I couldn't get the cosplay wig I wanted for Luxray-- and that my mom keeps suggesting Party City wigs (ugh, no, just no...). Guess I have to go wigless :'(
lol. Well she's KIND of open about it since me, my brother and friends have cosplayed each year for conventions (in our state) but she still complains about it no matter what. But I just ignore it and do w/e.

Aw it's too bad about your wig >o<; Party Store wigs are just a no-go.
momomilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #57102
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomilk View Post
lol. Well she's KIND of open about it since me, my brother and friends have cosplayed each year for conventions (in our state) but she still complains about it no matter what. But I just ignore it and do w/e.

Aw it's too bad about your wig >o<; Party Store wigs are just a no-go.
But I at least get to wear my blackish-brown hair long, or at least most of it long.

Unread 01-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #57103
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reily96 View Post
Ah, thanks! it'd be awesome if you could help - especially since you know hot to look, unlike me XD. I'm around 152-153 cm. for Kenshin, I'm doing the rurouni version, so I'm trying to find something in plain red and that's proving to be pretty difficul on color alone. D: since I plan on doing Tomoe in his "working outfit" rather than his casual wear, I'm looking for a plain white or off-white. Heck, I figure if I could find two white ones, I could slways dye one red... the ones I've found have just been way expensive...
Hmm, I think your ideal men's kimono length would be around 128 cm. But you could probably wear anything between 125-131 cm.

Also red, if I remember right, is considered a "female color" in Japan so it's veeeeeery unlikely you will find a (pure) red men's kimono.. trust me I've been searching for one every day for years now and no luck. The closest to red I've found is my vine red kaku obi and some like brownish-red/burgundy-orangeish winter kimono with dark stripes on. Hell, I've even seen a pink men's kimono and light pink hakama but no red!

Also, maybe it's just me but I have a vague memory I've heard Kenshin is actually wearing a woman's kimono..? I'm not so sure on that but I remember in the anime when he and Misao first met and Kenshin didn't tell her about Aoshi Misao called him not-so-nice things like scarface and transvestite lol. I can say though that through the anime I've been staring at his sleeves a lot and most of the time I can't tell if it's a man's or woman's kimono because it's not clearly shown one way or the other (or it changes all the time. Lazy animators? xD) ... except on this one screen cap I took click the sleeves seem to be like on a woman's kimono... But why anyone would wear a woman's kimono with men's hakama I have no idea. *shrugs* Maybe you could check with the manga if it's more visible/mentioned there? I have not read the manga yet myself.

Oh, and about white men's kimono. They do exist but they are very rare to find what I've noticed.. at least silk ones. I've found pure white/off-white men's jubans and some off-white/cream hemp kimonos though. (yes, I'm looking for one too)

I hope that's helpful. Ask me if there's something more.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Kemin mangapäivä (11 October 2014)
SAT Taregard Frir - Original Character

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 01-26-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #57104
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

A few hours ago I didn't even care about my first convention tomorrow and now all of a sudden I'm as nervous as all hell. :/ I keep having thoughts like, "you're not going to have fun" and "tomorrow will be the worst day of your life"

My brain is trying to scare me .-.

Unread 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #57105
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Just undid a box pleated skirt....now I gotta pleat it again, and hopefully this time I'll like how it turns out! xD

my older sister thinks that I'm crazy is that if I work on a pleated skirt and I end up not liking it, I'll take it apart and work on it all over again until I'm satisfied! xD

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 85%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 90%[/color]

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Miltiades Malachite - RWBY
Lisa Garland - Silent Hill
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote