Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1172 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #58006
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reily96 View Post
TOMORROW. TOMORROW IS MY LAST DAY OF THEATER RUN CREW. Sunday, I'm so throwing myself into Kenshin. I will get all my kimono edits at least half done on Sunday. Tuesday night I will finish any edits that have not been done. Weekend will see some kimono dying occurring. This is what will happen. YES IT IS.
Sounds like awesome!

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version
Eren Yeager (casual outfit) - Attack on Titan
Levi (suit) - Attack on Titan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Desucon Frostbite (13-15 February 2015)
FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #58007
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Has anyone ever thought of opening a business based around cosplay?
Like a restaurant(not a maid cafe but an actual legitimate restaurant) where you have various characters come together under one roof and well...run a restaurant.

Example: A group of Hetalia cosplayers getting together to open up a world cuisine establishment...well, almost everyone. Sorry England, you still can't cook. heh

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Katsucon 2015
Hourai Doll - Touhou Project
Vash Zwingli/Switzerland - Axis Powers Hetalia
Takeshi Morinozuka - Ouran High School Host Club
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #58008
Khorrupt

I need a costume for Sunday at MTAC, and I'm rather frustrated that Metathiax isn't going to happen after all, this soon at least. So...Soul or Luffy? Any input, guys?

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #58009
Khorrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
Like a restaurant(not a maid cafe but an actual legitimate restaurant) where you have various characters come together under one roof and well...run a restaurant.

Example: A group of Hetalia cosplayers getting together to open up a world cuisine establishment...well, almost everyone. Sorry England, you still can't cook. heh
That's actually really, really good idea! XD

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #58010
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

Quote:

That's sounds like an awesome idea, and I'm sure it's been though of before but the only problem is it's a small market. >.>

By small market I mean there's only so many cosplayers, otaku and anime lovers and there's no way that the business would make money. Also where would you put such a restaurant? Location means everything! If you put it in a big city like LA and NY maybe it can survive off of interest and being unique, but a small city or town won't be a ideal location because there might only be about 30 people who would show some interest, but a city like NY people who have a bigger population could probably have about 1,000-3,000?

I don't like the fandom idea... because you are making a small market to begin with, into a smaller market. There's restaurant already like the example you give about a world cuisine.. it's called a international buffet and a food market.

There's been attempts of a maid cafe here, in the US. All of them failed within a year or two. Because once again it was a small market. Every culture/country finds something interesting/sexy. In Japan cute girls in maid outfits are sexy. In the US guys, find girls who wear tight tops that show cleavage and short shorts sexy. It's what the overwhelming population wants. The best way is to find a middle ground that appeal to you and your customers. Ex: There's a restaurant called Heart-Attack Grill in Las Vegas, where the female waitresses wear nurses outfits. The man who created the restaurant combined his two loves (I let you guess what it is xD)

I'm not saying an anime restaurant won't work out but it's need to be in a busy area where there's a lot people are at. Has to be in a good location that's safe and easy to go too (can take subway, drive, walk, etc). You have to advertise the heck out of it and make it sounds special! (I can't stress how import this is.. because anime restaurant are very different and unique, you need to point out how your place is more interesting than another hundred restaurants in your area). Have decent food and drinks. Be creative with a menus, don't serve the same boring stuff you can get anywhere else. Think about the target audience is for restaurant, is it a family place or is it for teenage, adults, male or female? Try to make your restaurant stand out by hosting different events or switching themes (ex: One week it's Bleach and next week it some other anime).

Just my two cents.

I just went all Gordon Ramsay. xD Good question, I hope my answer doesn't discourage you, just the little things I want to point out about creating a business.

In-Progress~*
Nagisa Motomiya (AKB0048) - 10%

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)
Nanami Haruka (Uta no Prince-sama)

Last edited by Voodoo Doll : 03-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #58011
cosplaynewb11

should i get a school bag for my school girl cosplay to carry all my stuff in?
cosplaynewb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #58012
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosplaynewb11 View Post
I don't see why you shouldn't! I say go for it! It'll really set it off quite nicely!

Katsucon 2015
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #58013
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll View Post
That's sounds like an awesome idea, and I'm sure it's been though of before but the only problem is it's a small market. >.>

By small market I mean there's only so many cosplayers, otaku and anime lovers and there's no way that the business would make money. Also where would you put such a restaurant? Location means everything! If you put it in a big city like LA and NY maybe it can survive off of interest and being unique, but a small city or town won't be a ideal location because there might only be about 30 people who would show some interest, but a city like NY people who have a bigger population could probably have about 1,000-3,000?

I don't like the fandom idea... because you are making a small market to begin with, into a smaller market. There's restaurant already like the example you give about a world cuisine.. it's called a international buffet and a food market.

There's been attempts of a maid cafe here, in the US. All of them failed within a year or two. Because once again it was a small market. Every culture/country finds something interesting/sexy. In Japan cute girls in maid outfits are sexy. In the US guys, find girls who wear tight tops that show cleavage and short shorts sexy. It's what the overwhelming population wants. The best way is to find a middle ground that appeal to you and your customers. Ex: There's a restaurant called Heart-Attack Grill in Las Vegas, where the female waitresses wear nurses outfits. The man who created the restaurant combined his two loves (I let you guess what it is xD)

I'm not saying an anime restaurant won't work out but it's need to be in a busy area where there's a lot people are at. Has to be in a good location that's safe and easy to go too (can take subway, drive, walk, etc). You have to advertise the heck out of it and make it sounds special! (I can't stress how import this is.. because anime restaurant are very different and unique, you need to point out how your place is more interesting than another hundred restaurants in your area). Have decent food and drinks. Be creative with a menus, don't serve the same boring stuff you can get anywhere else. Think about the target audience is for restaurant, is it a family place or is it for teenage, adults, male or female? Try to make your restaurant stand out by hosting different events or switching themes (ex: One week it's Bleach and next week it some other anime).

Just my two cents.

I just went all Gordon Ramsay. xD Good question, I hope my answer doesn't discourage you, just the little things I want to point out about creating a business.
...I don't even know why I opened my mouth...sorry for such a stupid thought...

Katsucon 2015
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #58014
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

Quote:
...I don't even know why I opened my mouth...sorry for such a stupid thought...
It wasn't stupid. It was a very nice idea. ^.^
It would be unique and would stand out, but it would take a lot of work. I seem business that made a lot of money off of something that most people thought was crazy and useless. It's what you make it. What I said above is something that applies to almost all businesses. Not just restaurants.

Don't give up, if it's your dream to open something like an anime restaurant then don't let my opinion stop you.

It's my dream to open up my own cafe (not a Cosplay Cafe ) one day~

In-Progress~*
Nagisa Motomiya (AKB0048) - 10%

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)
Nanami Haruka (Uta no Prince-sama)

Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #58015
MotherSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosplaynewb11 View Post
That's actually a really creative idea! It would make sense, seeing as you are a school girl, so it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb in photos either. I have this problem all the time, none of my costumes can use a bag lol. But it's okay, one of my friends came up with an idea, known as the 'swag mule' where she will be carrying the bags around all day and clopping those coconuts from Monty Python. She's actually thinking about getting a horse head for it too.

Ugh I should be working on stuff right now but I feel so sick... Pet Peeve: Being sick and not being able to do much
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #58016
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherSilver View Post
That's actually a really creative idea! It would make sense, seeing as you are a school girl, so it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb in photos either. I have this problem all the time, none of my costumes can use a bag lol. But it's okay, one of my friends came up with an idea, known as the 'swag mule' where she will be carrying the bags around all day and clopping those coconuts from Monty Python. She's actually thinking about getting a horse head for it too.

Ugh I should be working on stuff right now but I feel so sick... Pet Peeve: Being sick and not being able to do much
^I agree with this!
This is indeed a very creative idea! Girls can do so many unique things with cosplay! If only guys could do the same without being ridiculed for it...

Katsucon 2015
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #58017
MutantCanuck

Through an interesting series of events, I'm tempted to cosplay from the kid's show Octonauts. Or Backyardigans.... XD
MutantCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #58018
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

My commission is getting started soon! I think at least XD

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #58019
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

I'm not able to sew due to a certain...issue I have(read my profile if you're interested), so I have to buy my outfits premade. I by no means claim credit for making them, as I would never be able to face myself in the mirror, but I wonder...is it okay to do so? If I could sew, I really REALLY would, but I just...can't...

But seriously, am I wrong/bad for buying premade outfits?

Katsucon 2015
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #58020
KennyCiel
Tiny cosplayer

Quote:
I'm not able to sew due to a certain...issue I have(read my profile if you're interested), so I have to buy my outfits premade. I by no means claim credit for making them, as I would never be able to face myself in the mirror, but I wonder...is it okay to do so? If I could sew, I really REALLY would, but I just...can't...

But seriously, am I wrong/bad for buying premade outfits?
As someone who also buys their cosplays premade, I don't see how it could be a bad thing. As long as you don't claim to make it, there's nothing wrong with it at all.
Not everyone has the ability to sew, if everyone does, there wouldn't be any market for premade costumes.
Just remember, those that mind don't matter in the long run.
Wendy Marvell-Fairy Tail
KennyCiel is offline   Reply With Quote