Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1146 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 06-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #7651
AlphaNinn
I am me?

Oooooh! I did another fitting of my "finished" bodice, and realized that if I make a couple of small stitches to hold the frilly to the straps, it not only holds the straps up better, it also pulls the top in towards my chest, making it look SO MUCH BETTER! And the proper bra underneath made all the difference in the world.

...I'm not sure which is worse, feeling wise. This bodice and my strapless bra (torture!), or binding. I foresee some uncomfortable cons in my future, lol. Though, I'll have awesome posture. Yay(?) for tops that don't let me bend over.

And I have until the 15th to throw a HP costume together, to wear at work for some event related to the release of the new movie's game. I'm thinking a generic female school outfit. I'm not concerned about house colors for this, because face it, I'll be working, it's not a con costume. If I do decide to fix it up for a con, then I'll add all the little details.

Unread 06-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #7652
Ginger Catgirl

I want my wigs to arrive... now plz...

I also do not want to to go to work x_x no, siree.

May do some beading work tonight. It's rainy and ucky today, so painting is out of the question.
Ginger Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #7653
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demyrie View Post
Oh, boy! Vague topics! <3 *hops into the question melee*

I'm curious AND outspoken: I've attempted to and successfully made funfoam armor, and I adore-- ADORE-- its resiliency, ease of shaping, and the fun, bright and cartoony look it produces. It's just hawt. However, being 50-cent-per-sheet funfoam, it tends to rip, warp, and get bent clean backwards by disoriented yet exuberant con-goers X_X

I have wonderflex, but I'm paranoid about breaking into it, and using the gesso+sealant technique. It just sounds too messy, but I want my armor and props to be knock-about-able.

SO QUESTION. Has anyone attempted creating the 'skin' of an armorpiece/prop out of funfoam, then forming wonderflex underneath it like a negative mold? That way, it has the UMF and infrastructure of wonderflex plastic with a nice, smooth foamy exterior that you can leave as is, or layer fabric/latex over without worrying about WF's ducttape texture showing through. That way, no gesso is needed.

Maybe? In sooth, I'm just trying to avoid painting WF's texture to death with 1084084+billion coats of gesso e___e PLZHELPWOO. Shenkaa <3
I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a good idea. I've personally been making armor out of craft foam covered with posterboard (for an easily paintable surface - unlike the plastic sheeting AmethystAngel uses in her tutorial - and more rigidity than just the foam), and in my latest project I had to cover both the inside and the outside of the craft foam with the posterboard, since there was a possibility that both sides would be visible, and thus they needed painting. That stuff is now as rigid as PVC pipe, I kid not. And all it is is posterboard and craft foam. Using WF as a bottom layer would certainly make it sturdy.

On the other hand, if something sharp catches in the foam, it would still tear easily. It's just that the WF layer would still be intact beneath it.
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #7654
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demyrie View Post
SO QUESTION. Has anyone attempted creating the 'skin' of an armorpiece/prop out of funfoam, then forming wonderflex underneath it like a negative mold? That way, it has the UMF and infrastructure of wonderflex plastic with a nice, smooth foamy exterior that you can leave as is, or layer fabric/latex over without worrying about WF's ducttape texture showing through. That way, no gesso is needed.

Maybe? In sooth, I'm just trying to avoid painting WF's texture to death with 1084084+billion coats of gesso e___e PLZHELPWOO. Shenkaa <3
I've formed Wonderflex and then hot glued craft foam on top. It works fine and doesn't take the the texture of the wonderflex. ^_^ However, I wouldn't recomend it for big pieces, since I'm still trying to find a way to get rid of the seam lines in the piece I made. :/ (It was a Pauldron for AC Cloud, by the way.)

Also, definitely form the Wonderflex first, not the craft foam. It's going to be the base layer, and if you try to form it ON to the craft foam, the craft foam will melt be because the Wonderflex will be super hot. Whereas, the other way around won't affect the Wonderflex at all.

You can also cover the wonderflex in white glue (also called Elmer's glue, I believe), which paints just fine and smooths itself out. Just get a cheap a sponge and sop it on. ^_^ It's really easy and dries fairly fast and paints really well, in my experience. (This is what a friend and I did to make a buster sword.) Also, if you put enough on it only takes a coat or two.

Oops! Long answer is long. XD Sorry about that.
Unread 06-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #7655
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box View Post
XD I knew that you were going to step in the minute someone said something about cardboard being a poor choice.
To me the argument between cardboard and plastic is the same as the argument between Amphigory/Cosworx and Party City.

There are rare occassions when you can get decent to very nice results, but one is just a HECK of a lot easier and more reliable than the other.

And just to clarify, I'm not talking about those thin sheets of cardboard that are like cardstock paper, I'm talking about what you would get if you cut apart a giant box that fast food restaurants get their deliveries in.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #7656
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

You've seen featherweight's props, correct? ^.^ Eh, I'm not too big into propmaking, so I don't have a good argument to back myself up.

My Yuuko wig came earlier today; I ordered it Thursday. ^.^ Heart Cosworx. Now I just need to full speed into making the jewelry.

And I needs my green nailpolish for Yuuko. And some nail polish remover. And pale pale makeup.

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 06-04-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #7657
Curucar

How to confuse a Curucar: go makeup shopping. I thought that I had everything after the concealer, but I realized that I needed eyeliner for Ulquiorra. SO many different types. @_@
Unread 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #7658
Ginger Catgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box View Post
You've seen featherweight's props, correct? ^.^ Eh, I'm not too big into propmaking, so I don't have a good argument to back myself up.

My Yuuko wig came earlier today; I ordered it Thursday. ^.^ Heart Cosworx. Now I just need to full speed into making the jewelry.

And I needs my green nailpolish for Yuuko. And some nail polish remover. And pale pale makeup.
I don't know if I want/would be able to do the makeup thing... see, I'm kind of... tan. Yeah, I'm definitely darkish. And thus, it would take a lot of makeup to make me look white... makeup that I'm not entirely sure I feel like wearing x___x

...Speaking of cosplay and randomness, I got bored, so here are some random photos! One outfit that I just threw together, and one cute Allen Walker [D.Gray-man] closet cosplay.

I suck at smirking. But I've got a fun wig and a nice smile so I guess that counts for something.

Allen Walker is a god, even if he's a bit boobly, silly, and just plain adorable. Had fun with makeup, too!

I want to cosplay Allen for real. Unfortunately this wig is not mine, I have to cut it up for a commision. But it would certainly make a nice Allen wig.
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #7659
featherweight
i'm one of the good guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post

And just to clarify, I'm not talking about those thin sheets of cardboard that are like cardstock paper, I'm talking about what you would get if you cut apart a giant box that fast food restaurants get their deliveries in.
yeah so i am, you can still see pics of french fires on the inside of my gundam
it doesn't matter what metrail you use its how you use it. and as a side note if i made my gundam out of wonderflex it would least cost over 1000 dolers so yeah cardbaord has afew advantages.
featherweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #7660
Ginger Catgirl

I've seen really awesome gundams made of foam.
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #7661
stafffighter
The culinary cosplayer

Found out they goofed my paperwork at work about my days off. Uh, I put those requests in well over a month ago. I'm going to the con. If you guys can take 10 days for a vacation I can have one weekend for a con. Hopefully we can work it out. As previously stated, I am going to the con.

Vietnam-Hetalia/Ravenclaw! Greece- Hetalia/Harry Potter/ Military Canada-Hetalia/ Sherman- Japanisches Kaiserreich Mitternacht Marine

Upcoming conventions
Who knows?
stafffighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #7662
Ginger Catgirl

Yeah. I wrote in the days that I was out for AX and Otakon, and underlined it, and highlighted it.... but then, I work at a small doctor's office, so i basically have to tell them when I'm gone and get someone to cover.

I'm working on Raine right now... mmm, yummy smell of Got2B. And chicken nuggets shaped like dinosaurs. Oo.

...dino nuggets are yummy =D
Unread 06-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #7663
Raiji Magiwind
The Overload Alchemist

I personally can't say much as to using cardboard as prop making material. I say, if you know how to work it right and do the right stuff to protect it, I'm sure it can be used well for stuff as needed.
I mean hell, the one wicked ass Alphonse Elric (armor version) that was at Youmacon 2006, I think if I recall corectly when I asked him what he made the darn thing out of, he said; cardboard, a small amouint of wonderflex, silver duct tape, flexable sealant, silver paint and a few other items, then used leftover material from his girlfriends fabric to make the loincloth thingy. It took him about 9 months to constuct, but I'll tell ya, it can out damn good!!
AL and Edward: Youmacon '06

The Cosplay File for 2012
All subject to change... (and also more then I can list...@_@) Red= In Progress
Planned Cosplay's/Projects: Zol Balfaltin "The Grim Reaper" [Immortal Rain], Philemon [Persona], Adam/1st Disciple [DGM- Earl Human Form], Nea Walker [DGM], TARDIS [Doctor Who- "Special Project"], Vocaloid Edward Elric [FMA- "Special Project"], Nekozawa [Ouran- "Princely Ver."]
Raiji Magiwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #7664
Ashenine
Nina

I had originally planned to work on..lets see...twelve cosplays and had begun on all the details, such as fabrics, wigs, picture references and what not.

I'm a noob for cosplay.

Thus began the bigbutt quest for Cosplay 101 (still on that) and found great techniques, designs and tricks. This included the way to act in a convention while in cosplay. Rejoice!

That was six months ago.

Now, it's almost a month before the convention I plan to go, lowering the number of possible cosplays for that day to, say, four for three people. Found out that the second hand sewing machine didn't pick up the lower thread when it runs so trying to get to know my sewing abilities are discarded for the time being until I graduate from college. I'm three days from finishing middle school.

With little time, knowledge and experience I have gone for a common way while not having the necessary items. Why, commission of course! Great works from great cosplayers and people who know their thing.

It would have helped if that was done, say, three months before (ouch..); luckily a very nice member from this forum accepted in doing em : D (lots of <3s to Yumeko).

I'm also two days away from turning sixteen and kind of in desperate need to get a summer job (damn you 4 hour limit work labor!) so I can get my room for cosplay work ready to go for the next conventions.

Yay

Oh, and boyfriend is having problems in wanting a Vincent Valentine cosplay from Limebarb because it must be the one they do there.
Ashenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #7665
Ginger Catgirl

uh... GOOD LUCK 8D (seriously. Good luck! ^_^)

see about saving up money for a sewing machine. They're kind of expensive, but if you sign up to get JoAnn's coupons and wait until they're on sale, and save, a lot, you could definitely afford one before you're out of high school. So try to get one of those teeny ones so you can fit it in your dorm room ^^;;;;

Speaking of commisions, I'll start by saying here - after I get done these commissions for my friend, I'm going to open up some wig commisions. Anything in particular that I should learn to do, or anything that anyone has in mind so I can be prepared? XD;

EDIT: Okay. decided not to post so much and just... add stuff to this post. Raine is coming along. I've set up several very interesting riggings in my bathroom to let gravity/hairclips do the dirty work of holding the hair while I spray it.

I won't spam you full of pics, but... it's really funny looking. Haha.

Last edited by Ginger Catgirl : 06-04-2007 at 06:54 PM.