Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #77431
GenLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRenascent View Post
Got a con this weekend, and just got word that it's supposed to snow like up to 6" between Thursday and Friday morning/afternoon.

I'll be driving in to the con for all 3 days.

Shit.
Will send you good thoughts and prayers for safe travel and safe con experience
The wandering soul knows no rest.

My Page

2017 Convention List:
Anime Crossroads ~ February 24-26, 2017
Indiana Comic Con ~ April 14-16, 2017
Indiana Pop Con ~ July 7-9, 2017
GenLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #77432
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

@xRenascent- Please be safe if it does snow!

Also going through twitter a bit more on the Moana tag...wow, people can be nasty. There are a couple of Polynesian women who tweet that only they are allowed to cosplay Moana and others should not because the clothing is "theirs" and it is offensive if someone outside of their culture wears them. I even saw a post of one girl asking a black cosplayer to not cosplay Moana(even though she made the costume and stuff). Wow. Don't do this kids.

Well guess who is halfway done with the first tier of her Moana skirt?

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

Last edited by TMLiza : 03-23-2017 at 02:38 PM.
TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #77433
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Hooray, half my top skirt is entirely beaded (now, hope to goodness I can properly iron this thing again. It's getting fairly creased from having to be folded and put away every day/in my suitcase for a few days). Be about five or six hours more work sewing on swarovskis, and I can FINALLY put the actual skirt together. And since I'll be doing so much travelling in the next few months with Dad terminally ill, I'll do some fancy silver stitching on the sash edges by hand on my next visit since I don't need to bring a machine or a bunch of things along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #77434
xRenascent
That crazy chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Likewise, I'm at my bf's parent's this weekend to get my Heather axe made (his dad has an instrument/woodworking shop, and we're in an apartment and I have no time for apartment-friendly materials like foam and cardboard). Well, Friday through basically all of next week? Snow, freezing rain or rain, nonstop. They live out in the country by Georgian bay (so they get a LOT of extra lake-effect snow and rain) AND up on an enormous hill that at times I've wondered how in the WORLD they got up it in the winter. I hope to grod that the bad weather stays away all of Friday, at the very least.
Ugh, it's the worst when you have to work on cosplay outside and the weather is way too cold or shitty to do anything. It's worse when you're shooting to finish it the weekend of. :<

@ the well-wishes: Thank you! I'll do my best to stay safe on the roads. Good thing I haven't uninstalled my snow tires!

Potential 2017 Cons
Anime Expo/Colorado Springs Comic Con/Nan Desu Kan

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #77435
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

OK, so I hate being so indecisive about my possible plans.

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #77436
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

The choker I got off Etsy for Rin hasn't come yet. I ordered it the beginning of March and as of today its been three weeks. I know shipping takes awhile (and it was shipped the fourth) especially since its overseas but I really hope it ends up coming tomorrow. If not I'll have to contact.

Edit:
Ok I kept checking the tracking to see any updates nearing the time I should be getting it, and SOMEHOW IT SAYS ITS BEEN FORWARDED BACK TO THE POST OFFICE (in Latvia not mine) AND NOW ITS BEEN SENT AGAIN. I did not see this before and now I'm going to end up waiting another two weeks, now total a month -- for a damn choker. I did want to buy one that was from a shop more local but it cost more.

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 03-23-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #77437
xIkuna

I'm getting a tattoo the day before a convention... not sure that's the greatest idea but yolo

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Miu Iruma- New Danganronpa Version 3
Sansa Stark- Game of Thrones (Season 7)

xIkuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #77438
Sugar.Code
D'Arvit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benignthespian View Post
Yup!
Eeee, that's awesome! She's amazing and Treasure Planet is my favorite Disney movie, I'm always glad to see cosplay from it! I've thought of doing Jim myself, one of these days. I even have partially shaved hair so that wouldn't be a problem, I'm honestly not sure why I haven't done it yet...

F! Ardyn Izunia - Final Fantasy XV - Done!

Logix Fiscario - Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

Escha Malier - Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
Sugar.Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #77439
benignthespian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar.Code View Post
Eeee, that's awesome! She's amazing and Treasure Planet is my favorite Disney movie, I'm always glad to see cosplay from it! I've thought of doing Jim myself, one of these days. I even have partially shaved hair so that wouldn't be a problem, I'm honestly not sure why I haven't done it yet...
I have never seen a Jim Hawkins cosplay and I don't know why; Jim is one the best Disney guys IMO.
Unread 03-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #77440
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRenascent View Post
Ugh, it's the worst when you have to work on cosplay outside and the weather is way too cold or shitty to do anything. It's worse when you're shooting to finish it the weekend of. :<

@ the well-wishes: Thank you! I'll do my best to stay safe on the roads. Good thing I haven't uninstalled my snow tires!
Fortunately he has a shop from the garage so I don't need to work outside, but it's a garage, so it's still really damn cold. And one of their neighbours has a cat that keeps getting in and spraying in a corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #77441
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Fortunately he has a shop from the garage so I don't need to work outside, but it's a garage, so it's still really damn cold. And one of their neighbours has a cat that keeps getting in and spraying in a corner.
So for some reason I had the idea you were spray painting and when I read that while half paying attention, I thought the cat would get in spray from the spray paint can and you had painted this poor cat in the past. Obviously I am tired. lol

Well, ended up having some time before work so I finished up more of Moana's first tier. Almost done! Although it seems like I need to keep an eye out for bugs. >.> I had it set on the floor, drying on a towel(to remove kinks in the raffia, you wet it with warm water and let it dry) and I lifted it up and there was a spider under it. Thankfully I'm not squeamish but that poor spider was swiftly dealt it because if I see it, it dies.

Quote:

Unread 03-24-2017, 01:05 AM   #77442
xRenascent
That crazy chick

Quote:
Fortunately he has a shop from the garage so I don't need to work outside, but it's a garage, so it's still really damn cold.
That's not so bad, if it's possible you can always bring a space heater to the garage, or work in small bursts until you feel cold from working in the garage!--

Quote:
And one of their neighbours has a cat that keeps getting in and spraying in a corner.
--...Ew, okay, nevermind. I take that back.

Potential 2017 Cons
Anime Expo/Colorado Springs Comic Con/Nan Desu Kan

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2017, 01:52 AM   #77443
Mochiko
Fairy Tale Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
Also going through twitter a bit more on the Moana tag...wow, people can be nasty. There are a couple of Polynesian women who tweet that only they are allowed to cosplay Moana and others should not because the clothing is "theirs" and it is offensive if someone outside of their culture wears them. I even saw a post of one girl asking a black cosplayer to not cosplay Moana(even though she made the costume and stuff).
I know that Disney movies tend to mess up culture, but I don't think dressing up as a cartoon character is cultural appropriation.

And for full coverage, do you always have to put on translucent powder over liquid foundation? Are you not supposed to put on powder foundation over liquid foundation? Does it really look that bad? I'm confused.
Mochiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #77444
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

As long as you're not painting yourself or claiming to actually be from a culture you're not, it's fine. Tumblr can be polarized about this sort of thing.
Yeah, liquid foundation plus powder foundation can be a little much. It depends on your liquid foundation though- a semi-sheer liquid with powder foundation will not be too cakey, and you can probably get away with it for cosplay. It's not an everyday look, though.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #77445
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Apparently there is a small local con about an hour north of me at a college happening this weekend. Thinking I might go to get rid of my con itch(since I won't be going to AB next week). There's always the question of what to wear to these things. Also the possibility or rain makes me go "meh..." a little.

Also, Wigisfashion is having a sale on all of their wigs so I thought this would be a good time to grab a Moana wig from them...and shipping came out to $13. Holy crap. No. Paying $72 for a single wig hurts me way too much. I refuse to do that. >.>

Since it seems like I'm not willing to splurge for a lacefront, I'm eying epic's Daphne in black. If I loosen the curls it should work perfectly.

Quote:

Last edited by TMLiza : 03-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.