Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-25-2017, 11:43 PM   #77431
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
I've been bitten pretty hard by the Jojo bug.

Someone stop me before I whip out a Lisa Lisa cosplay by Fanime.

I started watching on Monday, and I've already finished part 1 of Stardust Crusaders. Help.

Though, I was thinking that it might be fun to come up with historically accurate designs for these characters. Has anyone seen that? Nothing comes up on google. I mean, I know that the appeal is the ridiculous designs (and that's a huge appeal to me as well), but it might be fun to come up with, say, actual 1930s-styled Lisa Lisa, but find a way to do it where the character is still recognizable. Like how people do those historically accurate Disney princesses, though I suppose the leap there is a much shorter distance.
Don't even get me started about being bit by the JoJo bug. I was going to cosplay Lisa Lisa this year but instead decided to do a rule 63 version of Polnareff from Part 3. And I am greatly regretting my decision because it is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought especially since for the first time I'm doing a genderbend and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it.

I guess along those lines, lately I feel like I'm having a little bit of whatever the cosplay equivalent of writer's block is. Lately I either just don't know what to work on or whatever I do work on just looks like crap. and I'm a little bummed out that I can't afford to go to as many conventions as I would like to. I know things will get better once I start my new job in about six weeks but it kind of sucks. Especially when I see pictures of my friends at animefest and one of my friends did a really beautiful queen serenity and got a ton of pictures taken of her costume and I can't help but be a little envious. I know that the amount of pictures that we get taken of ourselves at cons shouldn't matter and whatnot and I know in about 3 months I'll be able to go to a convention but I still do feel a little left out and a little bummed.

https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

Last edited by AlaizabelCray : 03-25-2017 at 11:54 PM.
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2017, 03:57 AM   #77432
Mochiko
Fairy Tale Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
As long as you're not painting yourself or claiming to actually be from a culture you're not, it's fine. Tumblr can be polarized about this sort of thing.
Yeah, liquid foundation plus powder foundation can be a little much. It depends on your liquid foundation though- a semi-sheer liquid with powder foundation will not be too cakey, and you can probably get away with it for cosplay. It's not an everyday look, though.
Well, it's a good thing I don't really use Tumblr that much, then. I already lost my sanity to Livejournal years ago.

In my college years, I used to cake that shit on as much as possible. Of course, it caused itching and bumps, and the sweat mixed with bacteria caused even more breakouts. Now I don't know what to do with all these scars.

It's really hard to budget for cosplay and save money for rent, electricity, and groceries at the same time. I'm planning on buying most of the makeup that I need next month, but I still really need that petticoat for Cendrillon Miku, and some pink pearl earrings for hime gyaru and Lolita. There's also a tea party in Anime Midwest (which costs about 50 dollars to go), and they require at least 1 item from Baby, the Stars Shine Bright. I'm going to try my luck (which is usually bad) and buy the blouses from Anna House next in May, 2 months from the convention. And since I'm a bit too big for my required item, I'll probably buy a sports bra soon.

And Epic Cosplay Wigs is out of the ponytail clip ones that I need for my cosplay. No, I don't want to buy a pre-made wig, it'll look too obvious without the part in the center.

Last edited by Mochiko : 03-26-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Mochiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2017, 04:07 AM   #77433
Shienra

There were some problems with the tri-bullet necklace I ordered from etsy for Chloe, so a while ago I bought some 'empty' gun shells (from world war II) to make my own necklace.
It turns out my empty gun shells weren't empty at all :I Luckily my brother and sister in law could empty them in a safe way.
I just hope the security will be okay with it. I should be able to proof they're empty now, but I contacted the convention's facebook page and they can't promise anything, which I completely understand though.

Other than that I learned some new seams yesterday evening B) I'm so incredibly happy I'm finally somewhat able to sew. (also thanks to the tutorials on yt)
I'm super slow, but I hope to realise some more dream costumes in the future this way (Ciri is one of them already)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
Apparently there is a small local con about an hour north of me at a college happening this weekend. Thinking I might go to get rid of my con itch(since I won't be going to AB next week). There's always the question of what to wear to these things. Also the possibility or rain makes me go "meh..." a little.

Also, Wigisfashion is having a sale on all of their wigs so I thought this would be a good time to grab a Moana wig from them...and shipping came out to $13. Holy crap. No. Paying $72 for a single wig hurts me way too much. I refuse to do that. >.>

Since it seems like I'm not willing to splurge for a lacefront, I'm eying epic's Daphne in black. If I loosen the curls it should work perfectly.

I feel your pain :') I recently bought my first lace front wig from wigisfashion and I lost about 100€ for a new wig for Ciri. I'm totally in love with the color (ashen blonde, and it's more accurate than my current wig for Ciri), but I'm kinda scared to style it and start cutting it because I'm not experienced with wigs and it's so expensive, ahhh

Chloe Frazer - The lost legacy
Aloy (silent hunter master) - Horizon zero dawn

//Instagram//Facebook(cosplay)//Tumblr//Art Tumblr//

Last edited by Shienra : 03-26-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Shienra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #77434
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienra View Post
I feel your pain :') I recently bought my first lace front wig from wigisfashion and I lost about 100€ for a new wig for Ciri. I'm totally in love with the color (ashen blonde, and it's more accurate than my current wig for Ciri), but I'm kinda scared to style it and start cutting it because I'm not experienced with wigs and it's so expensive, ahhh
Oh man. I hope it goes well for you! Right now I'm trying to figure out other characters to use it for so I can buy the wig from them and I won't be feeling so cringey about it. Why doesn't anyone from Fate have a hairstyle like this!? xD

Wait a minute. If I get one on the more wavy side(closer to my hair texture) and then make two sidetails and if my clip in bangs are the right color....F/SN Rin cosplay anyone?

Edit: So I went on ebay to check the status of my orders of cowrie shells and feathers and wigisfashion has an ebay thing apparently. AND, they had a curly black wig that is most likely discontinued as it is not on their site and $5 cheaper and I don't need to pay extra for shipping. So uh, guess who has a Moana wig coming in the mail!

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

Last edited by TMLiza : 03-26-2017 at 11:17 AM.
TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #77435
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

ENTIRE day in the shop, and oh look, we glued one of the axe blades on way too crooked. Now weve lost the last couple hours we have of this day to try and fix it. Sorry, boyfriend, I'm shipping you back up here next weekend. We can't do anything but the paint and finish sanding at home and holy fuck we did not even get HALF of the work done that I wanted to get done yesterday despite a combined total of eighteen hours in the damn shop between me, him and his dad. Oh, and I also still have an entire bedsheet sized skirt panel to bead that was supposed to be finished this week, because I barely had time at Mom's and while waiting around yesterday when I wasn't needed in the garage, tax season in their house meant every inch of the table I needed was full of papers.
And barely a month to costume con and I have so much left to do along with having to pay visits across the damn province to dad and dealing with Easter (looks like it'll be "stay home and work through it", or "go to in-laws and work through it".)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 03-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #77436
ManneQuinn
Literal Trash

Since we are on the topic of wigs, god do I hate them. I'm not too bad at styling wigs but I always end up picking characters with weird hair, or I just make things difficult for myself. For instance I'm currently converting two wigs into lace fronts and I just spent the last 4 hours working on another that I had to make into twintails. It also has weird fire/ice tails instead of hair (Twinrova from LoZ) and that was a hoot and a half. I've only got the fire one left now and that should be a whole lot easier as I know what works now but I'm still suffering. Doesn't help that the original wig was £50 so I'm worried about wrecking it.

Still though, I think it's looking good??? Atleast the actual costume part is for how long I spent doing it. Learn from me, don't decide to make an entire cosplay, from buying fabric, drafting patterns all the way to styling a wig, in 5 days. It is suffering.
Uniform Ryuko (Kill la Kill) : Done!!
Blue Diamond (Steven Universe) : Done!!
Junketsu Satsuki (Kill la Kill) : Done!!
DLC 2B (Nier Automata) : Done!!
Abel casual (Starfighter) : Done!!
Yellow Pearl (Steven Universe) : I'll get to it lmao
Taako (The Adventure Zone) : Ordering materials

ManneQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #77437
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaizabelCray View Post
Don't even get me started about being bit by the JoJo bug. I was going to cosplay Lisa Lisa this year but instead decided to do a rule 63 version of Polnareff from Part 3. And I am greatly regretting my decision because it is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought especially since for the first time I'm doing a genderbend and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it.
I'm seriously considering actually doing Lisa Lisa for Fanime. I've been looking at wigs and fabrics all morning (instead of doing class prep...oops...). It hasn't even been a week since I started watching this show and I already feel the need. I have a feeling I'll need to clear my cosplay schedule for the next year and invest in stock in spandex companies.

Which version were you going to do? I was considering her iconic jumpsuit she wears in battle, but I think my heart (and friends XD) is telling me to go for the red zoot suit she wears on the gondola when she first appears. I've lost all self control. What happened to that rule I put on myself the other day where I can't decide on a cosplay without being a fan of the thing for at least a month, and I can't decide on a cosplay within a month of the con?

Genderbends can be tough. I used to know someone who did a Polnareff genderbend but basically just made his normal outfit and wore feminine makeup and didn't do anything to change her body type so she looked masculine. I suppose that's one way to go about it.

I actually did my first genderbend a few months ago, and while it was hard to decide on which elements I wanted to keep and which I wanted to change, I really didn't change much, and the only change I really made was so that it was obviously supposed to be a fem version and not me failing to pass as male (I changed a unitard into a leotard, basically, so that it would be a more typically feminine cut).

Do you have a design drawn up that you are working off of? I'm willing to take a look at it and maybe give some advice.
Unread 03-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #77438
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
I'm seriously considering actually doing Lisa Lisa for Fanime. I've been looking at wigs and fabrics all morning (instead of doing class prep...oops...). It hasn't even been a week since I started watching this show and I already feel the need. I have a feeling I'll need to clear my cosplay schedule for the next year and invest in stock in spandex companies.

Which version were you going to do? I was considering her iconic jumpsuit she wears in battle, but I think my heart (and friends XD) is telling me to go for the red zoot suit she wears on the gondola when she first appears. I've lost all self control. What happened to that rule I put on myself the other day where I can't decide on a cosplay without being a fan of the thing for at least a month, and I can't decide on a cosplay within a month of the con?

Genderbends can be tough. I used to know someone who did a Polnareff genderbend but basically just made his normal outfit and wore feminine makeup and didn't do anything to change her body type so she looked masculine. I suppose that's one way to go about it.

I actually did my first genderbend a few months ago, and while it was hard to decide on which elements I wanted to keep and which I wanted to change, I really didn't change much, and the only change I really made was so that it was obviously supposed to be a fem version and not me failing to pass as male (I changed a unitard into a leotard, basically, so that it would be a more typically feminine cut).

Do you have a design drawn up that you are working off of? I'm willing to take a look at it and maybe give some advice.
I was going to do the jumpsuit version of Lisa Lisa. I just love it so much and everyone who's familiar with JoJo recognizes it!

As far as Fem!Polnareff goes, I was going to do his original outfit, but swap out the pants for a skirt in the same color. I had the shirt all done, but I didn't measure correctly so the shirt came out WAY too loose on me in the back when I tried it on. Mea culpa...

As for the hair, I figured instead of Polnareff's super tall hairstyle, I figured maybe I could go for something a little more feminine like in this piece of fan art...

Thing is, I would need to splurge on a lace-front wig or a wig with a widow's peak built in. I've tried adding a natural hairline to wigs before and it was an epic fail...

https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #77439
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

I'm in full-on 'screw it I'm doing Lisa Lisa for Fanime' mode right now.

I like the kind of pinupy styling for that Polnareff! Lace fronts can get pricey, but you can often get lucky and find a cheaper one. They're often between 40~50USD on Ebay at least. Cheaper than Arda, but probably lower quality.
Here's one on sale for just over 30: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Natu.../222160706672?
Unread 03-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #77440
Alyxiane
Still a growing bud.

With the topic of genderbends, I've more or less took Ren's main design and swapped out his pants for shorts, shoes (they were almost boot-like) for flats, ponytail for pigtails, and had the main top tailored according to my body shape. Thankfully it worked well, but I've thought about doing his vol4 version in the far future but am not sure how to go at it aside from doing something similar with the previous version. It just feels somewhat cop out-ish despite wanting to stay close enough to the original design. :V
Mai ~ ATLA | Fairy Hanayo ~ Love Live! | AN-94 ~ Girls' Frontline

Alyxiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #77441
Mochiko
Fairy Tale Lover

Okay, maybe I won't go to the tea party, even if I do have my coord ready. I have to pay for my doctor's appointment next month, and buying blouses will get expensive. Also, everything on Anna House is getting sold out, including the dresses that I really wanted.

I looked at a tutorial for Kagamine Rin's headphones, and maybe I can base Jigglypuff's ears on that. What kind of dress would be more flattering for a Jigglypuff idol, a balloon dress or a fit and flare?
Mochiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #77442
Elycium

If I ever say that I can do a DA build in a month again, I hope my sister knocks some sense into me. I'm going to succeed on completing Aveline, but I'm going to be dead when I wear it ^^;

Planned 2018 New Cosplays: Percy de Rolo (Critical Role) / Inquisitor Lavellan (Dragon Age Inquisition) / Keith (Voltron Legendary Defender) / Mollymauk (Critical Role 2)
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #77443
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

On the topic of genderbends, I tend to go with "feminine-cut" clothing as a lot of the characters I genderbend are very tomboyish. Can you picture Gangsta Nic or Shirou from F/SN in a skirt? I don't think so! I also go with a more feminine hairstyle, which usually means the hair is longer but I tend to try to pick length based on what I think the character would do. Ex: Seven from MM would have long hair, Shirou would keep her hair up in a ponytail, ect.

The only one that took me a bit of time to plan out was fem. Percy since I did want a skirt for her but it needed to fit with him being a tinkerer and stuff.

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #77444
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

WTF, Ad-Astra, did I get into the vendors room or not? No email at all though they said they'd be sent out three weeks ago, nobody on their facebook is mentioning anything about if they're in or not either, my cheque hasn't been cashed yet that I know of though I sent it about a month ago (gotta check my account statement for the past week at the bank, though), and while my boyfriend's additional dealer membership got approved (he just got the email) nothing at all has been sent to me if I'm actually in or not? Eesh. If I don't see my cheque cashed/get an email by Wednesday, looks like I need to do some aggressive emailing to figure shit out. Especially since making plans for the con is really nebulous right now (he's got a potential job he could do that same weekend, and I'm dealing with being really short on time since my dad's terminally ill and would have barely any time to restock for the con as a result).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #77445
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Although my next con is about 20+ days left away, I'm already stressing to get everything completed on time. I have practically three costumes to finish by then, two of them will be in parallel since they share same paint, materials, and very similar designs. However, both have separate under suits for the armor.
Planned Cosplay 2017 - Everything all gold, woo!
Gilgamesh [Fate Series]
Kayle - The Judicator [League of Legends]
Sagitarrius Aiolis [Saint Seiya]
Genji [Overwatch - Ocre]
9S [Nier]
Geralt [Witcher 3 - Wolven]
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote