Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #78181
lunaflora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
So would I be 'succesful' in just doing a bit of putting things together, and sewing my own stuff? I don't mean like wanting to be popular, I mean portfolio wise.
It will probably always be cheaper to buy the readily available clothing pieces needed for costumes. I say that there's noting wrong with purchasing them, and if anything it saves both time and money. If you want to develop sewing skills, however, why not try to recreate on of the costume pieces that you've purchased? That way you can see and compare construction method/details, etc etc. Or, perhaps you could choose a more intricate/not-commercially-available cosplay to work on to wear in the future? I'm not talking about a costume for an upcoming con, I'm talking about "I'll wear it whenever/if-ever this gets finished." In the meantime you can keep purchasing the costume pieces for more immediate costumes, with a side sewing project to practice with. Though this way would probably be a bit of money to spend.. and time to invest.

Last edited by lunaflora : 07-05-2017 at 06:34 PM.
lunaflora is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #78182
WondererBailey
o3o)/

Quote:
Adding to this that nobody should be put off because there isn't 'enough' male cosplayers either (or even the other way around) because I always see both. It depends on what character somebody decides to do, and just do what makes you happy.

I could just be answering my own thoughts, but I recently noticed that most of my costumes are just pieces I put together...which sort of makes me feel like I'm not putting much effort into my costumes. Like for example I'm contemplating Celina's red jacket/white canvas skirt/turtle neck shirt outfit that's so simple that I find them on Amazon or sometimes locally. So I'm caught between, should I make this, or just buy it? The materials for Celina's skirt is the same as buying a relatively cheap one.
Same goes for Yuzu's manga outfit, she wears a black office wear style suit and flats which again makes me go "oh I can just buy that" but then my sewing skills wouldn't develop.
I went as Gogo about two years ago to a gathering but since again she wears normal clothing I just bought the stuff I need and I happened to have a black jacket I could use.
So would I be 'succesful' in just doing a bit of putting things together, and sewing my own stuff? I don't mean like wanting to be popular, I mean portfolio wise.

I've had this problem too, a lot of the costumes I've done recently have all been ones where I was able to buy 90% of the items. Which is probably why I'm in this crazy seeing binge state now. But anyway...

It depends on what the portfolio is for. I would say make the items if you're trying to showcase your craftsmanship and such. But if it's more just to showcase costumes and less about how they are constructed than either way would be fine.

Lushen - [Summoners War] - 40% / Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85%
/ Aizawa Shouta - [My Hero Academia] - Planning

2018 Cons: Kumoricon

W. Bailey Photography
Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #78183
Keitarin
Keyblade Wielder

Cutting PVC pipe was much easier than I expected! Now I just need them to dry after washing so I can start priming.
Sabitsuki (.flow): 44%
Monoe (Yume Nikki): 25%
Keitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #78184
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaflora View Post
It will probably always be cheaper to buy the readily available clothing pieces needed for costumes. I say that there's noting wrong with purchasing them, and if anything it saves both time and money. If you want to develop sewing skills, however, why not try to recreate on of the costume pieces that you've purchased? That way you can see and compare construction method/details, etc etc. Or, perhaps you could choose a more intricate/not-commercially-available cosplay to work on to wear in the future? I'm not talking about a costume for an upcoming con, I'm talking about "I'll wear it whenever/if-ever this gets finished." In the meantime you can keep purchasing the costume pieces for more immediate costumes, with a side sewing project to practice with. Though this way would probably be a bit of money to spend.. and time to invest.
Well I also do know that you won't always find what you need that's commercially available so you make them xD
Like I said, the outfit I mentioned is pretty simple, especially for anime. I also meant because the piece/pieces are so ordinary you can find them everywhere because it's something people tend to wear. The only thing I know I need to customize are the boots she wears.
The manga Yuzu example again, she wears office wear, why make it if that's something that's so ordinary versus making her school uniform - that's something I know I need to make.
Now that you mentioned it, I do have a few pieces that are still on the shelf - my Elsa dress, Ruri's top (which I just modified) and Rin's jacket. I've also taken some notes on my Sailor Venus costume to use for my future Sailor Mars costume. They've been scrapped because of cold feet and unfinished other pieces - I prefer to wear everything.
I always plan ahead, and I do have time to make them so timing is not a problem.
That sounds like a good idea, thank you

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #78185
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Ugh, of course I get sudden urges to make another cosplay in time for Stockton-con. When I had already thought I made up my mind the third time for my second cosplan for it, but then I remembered last year I wanted to make San from Princess Mononoke, and how I should finally get around to that......... ;_;

So maybe........ >_>"

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #78186
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WondererBailey View Post
I've had this problem too, a lot of the costumes I've done recently have all been ones where I was able to buy 90% of the items. Which is probably why I'm in this crazy seeing binge state now. But anyway...

It depends on what the portfolio is for. I would say make the items if you're trying to showcase your craftsmanship and such. But if it's more just to showcase costumes and less about how they are constructed than either way would be fine.
It's not a literal portfolio in the sense to show off "hey I made this school uniform", more like I can look back and say, "wow I made that" and keep improving. I guess you can say it's both, because I like showing off my costumes but I do take pride in making something myself.
That's helpful too, thank you

Future plans:

Follow me:

Unread 07-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #78187
KitoCosplay
Best chin on Cosplay.com

That feeling when you're crafting and you run out of foam and you can't buy anymore because Joann's is closed. Yeah. That's me atm
KitoCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #78188
FaustPrime
Memento Mori

Wondering if I have enough time to add another cosplay before Nandesukan Labor Day weekend...

Thinking about doing zaShunina from Kado: The Right Answer. I rarely do currently airing/new shows so that could be interesting.

Boyfriend and I typically go to cons in and around NC as well as bigger cons farther away. Say hi!
MAL:
https://myanimelist.net/profile/kotengakusha
FaustPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #78189
xIkuna

Finally after like 4 months I was FINALLY able to upload my Ino pictures from Katsucon! The photographer did a super job, and it reminds me that the weather was so pleasant even though it was February and shouldn't have been haha

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Miu Iruma- New Danganronpa Version 3
Sansa Stark- Game of Thrones (Season 7)

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #78190
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Quote:
That really depends on what your 'portfolio' is being used for. If you're trying to show off craftsmanship skill, doing a ton of 'closet cosplay' types of things can a little hit-or-miss: you'll have to definitely highlight the parts that you did make. But if you're just trying to collect all your cosplay photos and stuff together, or you're doing a modeling portfolio, it's totally a do-what-you-want sort of thing.

EDIT: Sounds like you're just trying to make something to track your own work progress-- then definitely, put a little of everything in it!

@Belligerent @Quinn I'm not 100% set on Ota yet, but would y'all maybe be interested in a CosCom meetup? SakuraxTsubasa and I did one yeaaaars ago to just hang out with people and chat for a bit, which was pretty fun. ^^
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #78191
Sami-Fire

Quote:
Same with me, except not the bow for my own costume but an Undertale crossover for Halloween seems like a good idea I've been thinking of, maybe you can do that too.
Maybe Lolita Sans sounds good? You'd have a lot of fun with that.
Undertale crossovers are always fun. I would have gotten the Sans bow but I liked the Frisk and Chara ones better. (Lolita Sans sounds like fun though, I'll have to keep that in mind.)

I sniffed around for Lolita-style dresses that I could use for these cosplays, but then I decided that maybe a cosplay would not be the best way for me to break into Lolita. :'D Maybe I'll take another look around.
Sami-Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #78192
benignthespian

Does anyone know a good fabric to use for mockups of a bodysuit? Started finally planning my Beast Boy cosplay but obviously muslin isn't going to work as practice.
Unread 07-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #78193
lunaflora

Quote:
Originally Posted by benignthespian View Post
Does anyone know a good fabric to use for mockups of a bodysuit? Started finally planning my Beast Boy cosplay but obviously muslin isn't going to work as practice.
Any 4-way stretch fabric that you find is good enough for a boost suit. Yet liking in the remnant section of the fabric store, or see if the aw coupons. The idea is to use a fabric that has the same stretch and hand as your main bodysuit fabric
lunaflora is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #78194
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Okay, the space in my backpack maxes out at 4 yards of blizzard fleece... also, the fabric store had spiral steel boning! Whoot! No paying half the price extra in shipping!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #78195
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami-Fire View Post
Undertale crossovers are always fun. I would have gotten the Sans bow but I liked the Frisk and Chara ones better. (Lolita Sans sounds like fun though, I'll have to keep that in mind.)

I sniffed around for Lolita-style dresses that I could use for these cosplays, but then I decided that maybe a cosplay would not be the best way for me to break into Lolita. :'D Maybe I'll take another look around.
I'm not part of the Undertale fandom, but I know who Sans is so that would be cool to see xD

Well it's a bit of both, but up to you in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
That really depends on what your 'portfolio' is being used for. If you're trying to show off craftsmanship skill, doing a ton of 'closet cosplay' types of things can a little hit-or-miss: you'll have to definitely highlight the parts that you did make. But if you're just trying to collect all your cosplay photos and stuff together, or you're doing a modeling portfolio, it's totally a do-what-you-want sort of thing.

EDIT: Sounds like you're just trying to make something to track your own work progress-- then definitely, put a little of everything in it!
Yeah it's more of a 'I want to put more effort' kind of thing instead of just buying stuff. I do make stuff from time to time because, again there are things you can't find commercially available.
Thanks!

Future plans:

Follow me: