Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #78901
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 16,500
I had one of those thrift shop trips where you WISH you had a use for some of the things you found! I was perusing the leather&fur coats section for some appropriate fur I could upcycle for my medieval mantle... no luck there but OMFG I nearly walked away with a $50 coat made of Alaskan fur seal, it was so soft and silky I had to scrutinize the inside of the coat to determine it wasn't fake! Alas, it also was WAY too small on me so I couldn't even wear it as-is if I tried. Which is a crying shame, it was a GORGEOUS coat. Even the lining was embroidered!
And someone clearly had no idea what they were doing in the bedding&fabric section, I found a bunch of saris with the sewing fabrics! Would have taken them myself but I couldn't tell if any were silk that I could repurpose (because while saris are gorgeous, I have even less places to wear one of those than I would kimono or historical garb), hopefully the staff I pointed out the mistake to moves them to a more appropriate spot.
....and then I found someone's clearly-a-Joker-cosplay suit when walking through the men's section. I had to laugh at that one.
__________________
Deviantart
Storenvy
Facebook (Artist alley only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #78902
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.
 
Lost Cause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 743
Pattern development is starting to get tedious.
__________________
Cosplans 2018
Silk / Cindy Moon - MCM London (October)
TBD - MCM Birmingham and possible others (November)

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #78903
TMLiza
Make All The Things!
 
TMLiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,745
So I had to schedule an appointment to have my wisdom teeth pulled. :,) It was either next week or in mid-December. Yeah, AnimeNYC is next Saturday so I did it for December...and now I remembered the christmas konkon shoot is around that time. Well crap. I mean, it is a free event so I won't lose anything money-wise if I can't go but I've been wanting to go for a few years and I don't know how up for it I'll be(I'm really bad with pain in general).
__________________
Working on...
|Gudako(Fate/Grand Order)| Elegant Mad Queen Ryan(Achievement Hunter)|Shura(Vol 17 cover, Ao no Exorcist)

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #78904
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 16,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
So I had to schedule an appointment to have my wisdom teeth pulled. :,) It was either next week or in mid-December. Yeah, AnimeNYC is next Saturday so I did it for December...and now I remembered the christmas konkon shoot is around that time. Well crap. I mean, it is a free event so I won't lose anything money-wise if I can't go but I've been wanting to go for a few years and I don't know how up for it I'll be(I'm really bad with pain in general).
Keep the ice handy and take anti-inflammatory pain meds like advil. My dentist gave me an opiate painkiller but holy bajeesus it was strong, it knocked me right out and I didn't even NEED that much pain relief (So I had like... three of the pills and had to return the rest to the pharmacy!). My Mom's friend is a pharmacist, she keeps these neat wrap-around cold packs they ship perishable medicines in for ice packs (they look like long packs of freezies!), I was able to wrap those directly around my face without any jabby corners and it helped a ton. Worth asking at a drug store if they have any to give away (or if not, if they have wrap-able cold packs like that)
__________________
Deviantart
Storenvy
Facebook (Artist alley only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #78905
lunaflora
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 271
went to the hardware store to check out the soaker hose tubing to use in place of hoop boning... but it's so dirty! my hand was blackened just from touching it...am I supposed to wash it all before using it or something?
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #78906
Zoeyromanov
Registered User
 
Zoeyromanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
So I had to schedule an appointment to have my wisdom teeth pulled. :,) It was either next week or in mid-December. Yeah, AnimeNYC is next Saturday so I did it for December...and now I remembered the christmas konkon shoot is around that time. Well crap. I mean, it is a free event so I won't lose anything money-wise if I can't go but I've been wanting to go for a few years and I don't know how up for it I'll be(I'm really bad with pain in general).
I've been there. Your teeth won't hurt, just the area around where the teeth would be removed. You'll basically look like a chipmunk xD. But you'll probably get paid meds with a recovery package (not a huge one, just a small bag - it's been a while since both my sister and I both had our wisdom teeth removed so I don't remember.)
If your surgery is around that time, and you're more sensitive to pain than most people, you'll probably have to miss it, but if it's the day after or before or something you'll be ok.
Trust me, you probably want to go to a shoot well rested and being yourself. And you'll have to sleep on your back and not put pressure on your jaw area.
And fyi, once you awake from the surgery, which isn't very long but you'll definitely be out of it - the drug they used is heavy stuff - and I'm somebody that has high pain tolerance and usually back to my old self in about a week or so.
__________________
Toronto Fan Days 2019
TBD

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Trickstar Sweet Devil, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]
Trickstar Band Sweet Guitar, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]


Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / Twitter

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #78907
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 16,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaflora View Post
went to the hardware store to check out the soaker hose tubing to use in place of hoop boning... but it's so dirty! my hand was blackened just from touching it...am I supposed to wash it all before using it or something?
Ew, that's unpleasant! Might want to make a thread asking about it, since I have no idea if it's just a freak dirty store, there's different kinds, etc. that won't give you that problem. I hate the shape of circular hoops on me so I haven't done my own, I just know the trick from other costumer.
__________________
Deviantart
Storenvy
Facebook (Artist alley only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #78908
TMLiza
Make All The Things!
 
TMLiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Keep the ice handy and take anti-inflammatory pain meds like advil. My dentist gave me an opiate painkiller but holy bajeesus it was strong, it knocked me right out and I didn't even NEED that much pain relief (So I had like... three of the pills and had to return the rest to the pharmacy!). My Mom's friend is a pharmacist, she keeps these neat wrap-around cold packs they ship perishable medicines in for ice packs (they look like long packs of freezies!), I was able to wrap those directly around my face without any jabby corners and it helped a ton. Worth asking at a drug store if they have any to give away (or if not, if they have wrap-able cold packs like that)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
I've been there. Your teeth won't hurt, just the area around where the teeth would be removed. You'll basically look like a chipmunk xD. But you'll probably get paid meds with a recovery package (not a huge one, just a small bag - it's been a while since both my sister and I both had our wisdom teeth removed so I don't remember.)
If your surgery is around that time, and you're more sensitive to pain than most people, you'll probably have to miss it, but if it's the day after or before or something you'll be ok.
Trust me, you probably want to go to a shoot well rested and being yourself. And you'll have to sleep on your back and not put pressure on your jaw area.
And fyi, once you awake from the surgery, which isn't very long but you'll definitely be out of it - the drug they used is heavy stuff - and I'm somebody that has high pain tolerance and usually back to my old self in about a week or so.
Thanks for the tips guys!

Did a little bit of commission work today. I have most of the shirt done but I really wish I had some idea if the size is right or not. >_< Also, note to self, never make "simple" clothes like this ever again. lol I'm sticking with the weird anime skirts/cloaks/ect. The shirt I made looks okay but it could look better.(It's a weird collared shirt). Well I need to add the collar/cuffs/ect so I hope it will look better once those are on.

Also located the Yona skirt I was planning on repurposing for Keyleth, which is now going to be used for Suzuka Gozen. Yes for one less thing for me to make. xD Still need to shorten it and add horsehair braid to the hem because Suzuka's skirts are bouncy. But first...commissions. X_X
__________________
Working on...
|Gudako(Fate/Grand Order)| Elegant Mad Queen Ryan(Achievement Hunter)|Shura(Vol 17 cover, Ao no Exorcist)

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #78909
Alyxiane
Still a growing bud.
 
Alyxiane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 715
Well, I bit the bullet and bought SG Ahri because miccostumes is having their pre-order discounts for the new Star Guardians. I'll still need to get her wig, ears+tail, shoes, and Kiko, but the general price for entire thing is actually attainable which I'm happy to at least be doing.
__________________
AX 2018 Lineup:
Sakura Kinomoto ~ CCS | Yowane Haku (Kimagure Mercy) ~ Vocaloid | Trainer Moon - Pokemon Sun and Moon
Plans:
Mai ~ ATLA | Fairy Hanayo ~ Love Live! | AN-94 ~ Girls' Frontline


Alyxiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #78910
xIkuna
Registered User
 
xIkuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,681
Ugh, so frustrated! Ordered a cosplay on ebay, big mistake I know but the shop had thousands of reviews and 99.5% rating which is super good, not only was it late (not too late for the con, just late in general, stressing me out), but it super not fit. Like I understand China sizes are small but I def went by the size chart and ordered a large- the skirt measures about 12inches flat. 12!! I don't know a single person with a waist below 25in!! So frustrating!

Thankfully, I found a really awesome complete cosplay on facebook thank god, so I'll have a different cosplay to wear this weekend~ oh god, Daisho is this weekend... thankfully I'm almost done with everything! just gotta finish painting my gun!
__________________
Upcoming Conventions: Daishocon, Anime Detour, Wizard World Minneapolis, C2E2

Cosplays:
Yennefer- The Witcher 3
Magik (Phoenix Force)- Marvel


xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #78911
Angelx624
Left here but came back!
 
Angelx624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,156
So nearly finished with the Danganronpa anime(one episode of Future Arc to go) I gained unexpected feels for a certain duo and now I want to cosplay Sakakura really badly. ;u; I might have a coat I can dye and as for wig I'm still figuring that out(his hair color gets kinda confusing but I think I can manage something x_X )
__________________
My page: https://www.facebook.com/xKittyBearCosplay/

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

"Looks like today we're clockin' out early!" -Reno

Yay! (ノω)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #78912
TMLiza
Make All The Things!
 
TMLiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,745
So the Attlia cosplay I bought off of someone else came in.

Oh boy. =-= I need to do alterations because it does not fit me but the front part of the "panties" So low cut. X_X I have to wear dance tights under it. I also think I might tear out the panties and wear one with a bit more coverage so I don't have to go the dance tights route. She has lines on her legs that I want to have drawn on.

Also guess who sewed the lining in wrong in a commission and didn't realize it until details were sewn on!? T_T I pretty much told my friend straight up I might not have it done in time for Katsu. I'm ignoring it right now to work on another commission cause I can't look at it anymore without wanting to scream.
__________________
Working on...
|Gudako(Fate/Grand Order)| Elegant Mad Queen Ryan(Achievement Hunter)|Shura(Vol 17 cover, Ao no Exorcist)

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #78913
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 16,500
Hooray, I get to wear Heather in the Santa Claus parade after all! The comic shop was hiatusing from it this year but the local convention partnered with the local nerdy tri-business getup we have (We have a video game cafe, board game cafe and a medieval swordplay arena in town and I think they're all owned by the same couple of people, they definitely are always grouped together when sponsoring events) stepped up and invited cosplayers on their float.
Added advantage, that costume is bloody sweltering. I'll just need heavy socks and a pair of gloves, mayyybe one extra undershirt, to stay cozy on the route.
__________________
Deviantart
Storenvy
Facebook (Artist alley only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2017, 02:16 AM   #78914
Alyxiane
Still a growing bud.
 
Alyxiane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 715
*headdesk* Of course, I'd want to have a winter-themed cosplay. Especially when there's a D.Va styled cloak and skirt that can easily work as a winter cosplay.

I hope my parents aren't weirded out that I'm slowly building an entire D.Va themed wardrobe at this point. lmao Lot of the designs I'm seeing are quite cute after all. +__+
__________________
AX 2018 Lineup:
Sakura Kinomoto ~ CCS | Yowane Haku (Kimagure Mercy) ~ Vocaloid | Trainer Moon - Pokemon Sun and Moon
Plans:
Mai ~ ATLA | Fairy Hanayo ~ Love Live! | AN-94 ~ Girls' Frontline


Alyxiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #78915
TMLiza
Make All The Things!
 
TMLiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxiane View Post

I hope my parents aren't weirded out that I'm slowly building an entire D.Va themed wardrobe at this point. lmao Lot of the designs I'm seeing are quite cute after all. +__+
This makes me think of my Gudako shrine. xD Still surprised my mom hasn't questioned why I have so many things of the same character(just wait until I get my hands on that body pillow...)

Managed to alter Attila's top so it stays on pretty well. Still will need to use the power of sock glue/tape but hey, my boobs are squished down and it stays pretty well. Need to do an odd shimey to get it on though. The panties shouldn't give me too much of an issue(thankfully with the back piece I can cover the altered area). I also need to find my black swimsuit bottoms as the fact my whole butt is hanging out does not sit well with me.
__________________
Working on...
|Gudako(Fate/Grand Order)| Elegant Mad Queen Ryan(Achievement Hunter)|Shura(Vol 17 cover, Ao no Exorcist)

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Copyright 2002-2018 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.