Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #78916
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Problem with being a recently out transgirl cosplayer: Don't have the balance to wear heels yet.

And I'm a week away from doing a con as Madoka. This is going to be fun.

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #78917
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Heels are hard for cisgirls too, haha. You just have to practice! Wear them around your house for shorter time periods and build up so you get used to them.

Cosplay supplies came in so if I can scrounge up a bit of energy after today's long/kinda sucky day at work, maybe I can make something happen...
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #78918
Scunosi

Man I still hate wearing heels. I think the longest I've ever gone was Shy Gal, and those were big chunky heels which helped make them more tolerable. I'd love to practice wearing heels more but don't want to bother bringing multiple pairs of shoes to work, one for wearing the other for driving. I have a supervisor who wears heels every day, but I guess if you've been wearing them all your life and are in your 50's you must have learned to get used to them at some point.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #78919
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I can't do heels very well at all. Also I get plantar fasciitis and one of my legs is shorter so pretty much a lot of things makes it so wearing heels is difficult. Wedges though, I can do wedges. xD

AnimeNYC is next weekend. Really should do my pre-con prep. My eyebrows are getting gnarly and my hair is too thick for my Minako wig. X_X

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #78920
Alyxiane
Still a growing bud.

I also sometimes get pantar fasciitis on my right foot if any shoes I own don't have proper arch support, and I'd have to wear them for at least a couple hours. Makes my options rather limited if I need a pair to wear throughout the con, and I can barely wear heels higher than two inches. But HOO BOY whenever I find a pair that has a decent support *and* doesn't look too chunky or ugly, that's such a wonderful feeling.

Gotta do some cleaning in my room and see if I can make a space in the corner for a proper work area. Should be time to start getting together mats for Miriam's sword.
Miriam ~ Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night | D.Va (Carbon Fiber) ~ Overwatch | Star Guardian Ahri - League of Legends

Alyxiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 12:34 AM   #78921
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I spent a week trying to figure out what material a reference cosplay had used, to no avail, only to post it in a cosplay help and advice group and get an answer in less than 10 minutes. Although I like doing the process myself, sometimes it's better to just ask.
Xe Yui/Lord Grim - The King's Avatar (Katsucon 2018)
All Might - My Hero Academia (Katsucon 2018)
Goku (Ultra Instinct) - Dragon Ball Super (Katsucon 2018)
Possibly? Male!Megumin - KonoSuba (Katsucon 2018)

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplayers Group (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 01:10 AM   #78922
Weiss no Obi

Crossplay is much more interesting!!

(╮°-°)╮┳━━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━━┻
Weiss no Obi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #78923
lunaflora

Someday I want to make the goddess Madoka dress.. as soon as I have the funds. .and someone to be the fit model for.. Damn is it expensive. Why is hoop boning so expensiv! There has to be a cheaper alternative.
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #78924
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaflora View Post
Someday I want to make the goddess Madoka dress.. as soon as I have the funds. .and someone to be the fit model for.. Damn is it expensive. Why is hoop boning so expensiv! There has to be a cheaper alternative.
Soaker hose tubing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #78925
lunaflora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Soaker hose tubing!
Wow really? I need to make a trip the hardware store then!
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 02:59 AM   #78926
benignthespian

Been working at Joanns for just over a month now and tbh I've learned a good amount I didn't realize about fabric/types of fabric/sewing that I never thought too much about before (I've only been sewing heavily for ~2 years) so now the challenging cosplay I set for myself-- my Vulpix gijinka-- is easier for me to fathom making.

I've also done a mockup of the tunic and cloak, so that helps. Still is gonna be challenging, but I actually think I'm capable of doing it now. Just gotta figure out the tails @_@
Unread 11-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #78927
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I had one of those thrift shop trips where you WISH you had a use for some of the things you found! I was perusing the leather&fur coats section for some appropriate fur I could upcycle for my medieval mantle... no luck there but OMFG I nearly walked away with a $50 coat made of Alaskan fur seal, it was so soft and silky I had to scrutinize the inside of the coat to determine it wasn't fake! Alas, it also was WAY too small on me so I couldn't even wear it as-is if I tried. Which is a crying shame, it was a GORGEOUS coat. Even the lining was embroidered!
And someone clearly had no idea what they were doing in the bedding&fabric section, I found a bunch of saris with the sewing fabrics! Would have taken them myself but I couldn't tell if any were silk that I could repurpose (because while saris are gorgeous, I have even less places to wear one of those than I would kimono or historical garb), hopefully the staff I pointed out the mistake to moves them to a more appropriate spot.
....and then I found someone's clearly-a-Joker-cosplay suit when walking through the men's section. I had to laugh at that one.
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 11-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #78928
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Pattern development is starting to get tedious.

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #78929
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

So I had to schedule an appointment to have my wisdom teeth pulled. :,) It was either next week or in mid-December. Yeah, AnimeNYC is next Saturday so I did it for December...and now I remembered the christmas konkon shoot is around that time. Well crap. I mean, it is a free event so I won't lose anything money-wise if I can't go but I've been wanting to go for a few years and I don't know how up for it I'll be(I'm really bad with pain in general).

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #78930
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
So I had to schedule an appointment to have my wisdom teeth pulled. :,) It was either next week or in mid-December. Yeah, AnimeNYC is next Saturday so I did it for December...and now I remembered the christmas konkon shoot is around that time. Well crap. I mean, it is a free event so I won't lose anything money-wise if I can't go but I've been wanting to go for a few years and I don't know how up for it I'll be(I'm really bad with pain in general).
Keep the ice handy and take anti-inflammatory pain meds like advil. My dentist gave me an opiate painkiller but holy bajeesus it was strong, it knocked me right out and I didn't even NEED that much pain relief (So I had like... three of the pills and had to return the rest to the pharmacy!). My Mom's friend is a pharmacist, she keeps these neat wrap-around cold packs they ship perishable medicines in for ice packs (they look like long packs of freezies!), I was able to wrap those directly around my face without any jabby corners and it helped a ton. Worth asking at a drug store if they have any to give away (or if not, if they have wrap-able cold packs like that)
Quote: