Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > 한국어 cosplay.com

Unread 05-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #31
jiyoon

I'm glad a lot of people take interest in the korean culture! I think it makes me more proud to be Korean when there are others who are not Korean and want to take an active part in learning the culture.

I'll admit, not all koreans like "outsiders" learning about culture. But they don't always like "mixed" people like me either, who is a mix of Korean and Chinese. They're very nationalist, which is nice and bad at the same time.

But I'm glad you guys are interested, and I'll try to help every way I can ^_^

Unread 05-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #32
hibekisensai
Habitual User

BambooCactus- Just to clarify, i too am trying to learn more about modern korean culture and am honored when non-korean folk take interest as well, the thoughts i offered in my above post, weren't how i think, just a general mentality that i am aware of that exists among many koreans/minorities i know. I'm half korean, even though i can half way decently read, write, speak korean, i get serious hate from some koreans myself! I don't know what to say, i am sorry you have had bad experiences with koreans. i hope this doesn't affect how you view us on cosplay.com!! we're not all that bad!!

ChaosButterfly- There was a manhwa thread a while back...it might give you some good information on korean manga! There was also a thread on hanboks, traditional, elaborate korean clothing. I think it's great you are interested in korean culture!

So let's discuss cosplay/convention related things pertaining to korea!

I have been trying to obtain more information on current cosplay/convention and such in korea, and have a little information, but not a lot. In terms of anime, Wonderful Days is a pretty good korean anime....i will have much more to report next spring on current korean conventions and cosplay, as this will be my next trip to Seoul, where i intend on participating in cosplaying at a convention...

The other korean folk on this site may be much more helpful in providing information on korean anime/cosplay/convention culture than me!

**there are many things that i can share with you on korean culture, but not related to this forum, so i guess pm me if you are interested**
Unread 05-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #33
kels
Jelly Cosplay

i have no idea about korean cons and stuff too~

i was wondering if there were any going on during august?

kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #34
jiyoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kels
i have no idea about korean cons and stuff too~

i was wondering if there were any going on during august?
old thread from before.. old old thread that's on my comp for some reason -_____-;

Told you it was in August XD
Unread 05-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #35
kels
Jelly Cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiyoon
old thread from before.. old old thread that's on my comp for some reason -_____-;

Told you it was in August XD
im going to have to learn instant korean...
i already see myself going, and then getting lost..

and it makes me sad cuz i think i would be LESS lost if i were going to a japanese convention instead ==;

kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #36
hibekisensai
Habitual User

^ ah yes, 한국 the beautiful hermit kingdom....please share any experiences of convention or cosplay stuff you encounter! Yeah, my trip isn't until May2007 and i'm already seriously worried about polishing up the communication skills!
Unread 05-24-2006, 12:12 AM   #37
JackSpooky

hey people-
i was born in korea
and i was raised in korea
came to america a few years ago.

Last edited by JackSpooky : 05-24-2006 at 12:27 AM.
JackSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 12:21 AM   #38
JackSpooky

hibekisenai-
hey wanted to tell you about a little bit of korean conventions. im not sure if you've been to korea or korean conventions before, but its very different from american ones. first of all, i was very surprised when i heard about the american conventions due to $$$$$ difference. holy crap, in korea conventions are about 5000won, thats like 5 dollars. in america, its like..what..50 dollars? about ten times the price! but its true that american cons are in nice hotels and all so they do deserve to get paid more. korean cons are held in convention centers, big centers usually used for business conventions and stuff. nobody sleeps in hotel for cons. they all just go home after convention and go back the next day. no need for hotel when public transportation is so well organized~ i personally find american cons better though, since there are so many programs and all. korean cons are more for looking at cosplayers, and huge dealers room. there arent many organized events.

and about your communication problem, im not gonna lie to you and say, oh dont worry about it~ cos it will be hard since its a homogeneous country with all korean speaking people. it also depends on how you look: if you look asian, its definitely gonna be harder since everyone is gonna speak to you in korean. if you look non-asian, its gonna be easier cos people are gonna know you dont speak korean. only young people can speak in english, that is, teens and people in their 20s mostly, and they all pretty much speak broken english. very bad english with limited words too ^^; but if you are lucky, you might be able to find people that lived in america. but thats a pretty slim chance.

i hope you luck on the trip in 2007 though. im sure it will be difficult but a lot of fun as well. to which part are you going? will you be visiting cons? if so, which one?

Last edited by JackSpooky : 05-24-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Unread 05-24-2006, 01:06 AM   #39
hibekisensai
Habitual User

^hi! thanks for the great information on the conventions in korea. My friend Hyun who live in Seoul has told me about a big Anime Con in the like May/June timeframe right in Seoul....she has been really busy with studies so she doesn't get too involved in cosplay activities at the moment...I have been to Korea, and somewhat know what to expect, though i was a lot younger...I will obviously be flying into Incheon and staying in Seoul for a week, then travelling to Busan, and maybe a few other locations, whatever my friends in Seoul plan for me to see. Total trip will be a month. I think i will be ok before i go because many of my korean friends in the US help me tons and tons in getting back to holding conversations in korean and helping me read better!! (i hate to read in english as well!! lol) Yeah, i have an american father, but i am very very asian looking, so that will be a blessing and a curse, people now in america will start talking to me very fast in korean, and i have to ask them to please slow way down, and then they speak english!!! lol...So as for the conventions, yeah the dealers rooms are HUGE in korea, i have so many souvenirs that my korean friends have sent......nice to meet more koreans on this site!
Unread 05-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #40
hibekisensai
Habitual User

Sorry to double post, but for those interested, the 2 biggest Conventions in Korea are ACA & COMIC, i think ACA in April, maybe early May...i think COMIC is august one though.

Last edited by hibekisensai : 05-24-2006 at 04:16 PM.
hibekisensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #41
JackSpooky

yes comic one is august, last year they held it multiple times during summer i think- in july and august in the same location i believe.
Unread 05-24-2006, 10:57 PM   #42
hibekisensai
Habitual User

wow, i didn't know COMIC was held multiple spots & dates....well, i think Kels is going ro Korea in August, hopefully she reports back some good information!

btw- if i put 18 in my sig, how many people would get it? lol.. chaosbutterfly now does...:P
Unread 05-24-2006, 11:06 PM   #43
kiwi_lady
Myu it

LOL ssibal? xDD;;?
i dont think its a good idea XD

Cosplay Store for the Cosplay minded.
kiwi_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #44
Skyline Kyo
Elysiam.org

Korean Pride here!!! xD And representin' pervert power through Miroku cosplays to all cons I attend! XD

Also a fellow Louisiana'an not looking foward to more hurricanes. Any of you guys going to A-kon?
Unread 06-03-2006, 02:17 AM   #45
jiyoon

Hmmm next year I'm thinking of going down to the US for some cons =) Not sure which ones yet though.