Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Closed Thread
Unread 12-18-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
Chisau

searching for con-no-baka Volunteers/Staff for another winter con:

Since i didn't get any communication from Aaron after Con-no-baka, I think “Con-no-Baka” the convention is officially dead. But I don’t think we should give up on the idea of a better winter anime convention. A lot of good lessons where learned at con-no-baka and with that, I believe we can create a better convention in the future. Therefore I want to call all the Con-on-Baka staffs, (and people that want to become staffs), to post here about the possibility of creating another convention for end of November 2006. please include your e-mail address as well if you wish to receive further information in the future.

PS, if you don’t want to post, you can also e-mail me at (chisaultd@hotmail.com)

PPS, just in case you want to know my name, you can call me "chisau" for now.

Last edited by Chisau : 12-18-2005 at 08:58 PM.

Unread 12-18-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

I don't think there's much point in making another late november convention onsidering that it was decided that the downfall of CnB was greatly and mainly caused by the large scale that the con was planned on for the relatively small turnout (although the turnout was great for a 1st year con).

Hobbystar's November/December mini-cons are probably here to stay for quite some time considering how many more people it's attracting one year to the next. And if you have to scale down a new con in order to make it successful cause the fanbase that's willing to attend a winter con isn't large enough at the moment to support a large con, then it would just seem like Mini-con times two.

I think the community isn't all ready to have 2 cons so late in the year, and it isn't likely to occur as someone will have to come up with the money to pay for the con (and a lot less people would be willing to sponsor a con like this after CnB's spectacular failure).

For the time being, a different kind of event would probably be more welcome..like as someone suggested on another thread, a New Years dance/party would be well appreciated by some fans. ^^

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Unread 12-18-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
Yuna-X2
Stealth Nerd

There's a late November con in Ottawa that's good, why try make another even after the first failed so spectacularly? I only go to 2 cons a year (AN and AC3) and I can't really imagine going to (or affording) another one, let alone one every 2-3 months...

Future Costumes
Gakuto, Mizuki, Ishida, Eiji, Sengoku (Prince of Tennis)
Ouran High School Host Club uniform
Unread 12-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
heki-chan
SMA-Cosplay
Board Moderator

As the purpose of this thread has nothing to do with Con no Baka, I am changing the thread title.
Unread 12-18-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
FiaNari
the lovable Fia

What about a winter con in January or February, winter is too boring, I can use a fun con to pass the time.
Unread 12-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Otaking97
Terrible Great King

Here is what I recommend. Get together at least 10 people and work a bunch of details out. THEN call for volunteers and such. Sorry to sound like a big meanie but it just seems poorly planned (right from the start) to look for people to help you run a con. Lay a foundation and get your resources in order first.

My HUGE ASS Anime/Manga/Figure collection:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=352110
Unread 12-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
FiaNari
the lovable Fia

I would love to one day organize a con, I am thinking Brampton would be a great location, but yeah with my funds not bloody likely.
Unread 12-18-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Tsukasa_1

Hi!

You are not the only person who is planning to hold an event in November and I will suggest the same thing I did for him, Do further research, develope a business plan, fingure out your expenses, expect to invest your own finances for the first few years, HAVE A PLAN B and finally plan small- leave the high expectations at the door.

ensure to comunicate with an open mind with other organizers as they will provide you with beneficial information.

Mark W. Hamilton
President | Le président du Comité
Ochiba~Con Organizing Committee | Ochiba~Con Comité organisateur
Tel / Tél.: 289-315-3908 | Fax / Teléc.: 888-859-0891
Mark.Hamilton@northernanime.ca | www.ochibacon.ca

Ochiba~con a division of Northern Anime Festival inc.
Unread 12-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
FiaNari
the lovable Fia

Oh but I am not serious, it's just a dream, nothing I ever do ends up working anyways T_T.
Unread 12-18-2005, 07:54 PM   #10
Kohana
I heart Shing02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy the Yu

For the time being, a different kind of event would probably be more welcome..like as someone suggested on another thread, a New Years dance/party would be well appreciated by some fans. ^^

I think that was me....lol... yea if something like that was planned I would be there to help out or organize 100%!

SELF PROCLAIMED CEO OF AMW INC.

Deviantart

HEEEEEEEEEY POTATO!!!!!!!! *chucks Potato
Unread 12-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #11
Chisau

Quote:
Originally Posted by heki-chan
As the purpose of this thread has nothing to do with Con no Baka, I am changing the thread title.

dude, i know you are trying to do your job here and all, but can you please stop chaging my title. Actully, this post has everyting to do with Con-no-baka.

Ever since Aaron when into hidding, i can not reach most of the Con-no-baka staffs. The real reason for this post in the first place is to find the staff of con-no-baka that i can not reach. so if you don't mind, can you please change my title back?? or at least make it a better one. Keep in mind that i'm not looking for Volunteers. I'm looking for the staff of con-no-baka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaking97
Here is what I recommend. Get together at least 10 people and work a bunch of details out. THEN call for volunteers and such. Sorry to sound like a big meanie but it just seems poorly planned (right from the start) to look for people to help you run a con. Lay a foundation and get your resources in order first.

actully i had already written a business plan out. the only thing that i'm missing right now is a Staff. As of now, i'm thinking using the Japanese Cultrual community centre as a location. However, i'm still search for a better, not to mention cheaper, place for winter anime con. i don't want to host it at the doubletree because it's too expensive and all the school locations are in use during winter. so my options are some what limited.

However, the greatest need for me right now is a web master.

Last edited by Chisau : 12-18-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Unread 12-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #12
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisau
dude, i know you are trying to do your job here and all, but can you please stop chaging my title. Actully, this post has everyting to do with Con-no-baka.

Ever since Aaron when into hidding, i can not reach most of the Con-no-baka staffs. The real reason for this post in the first place is to find the staff of con-no-baka that i can not reach. so if you don't mind, can you please change my title back??
A lot of the staff were recruited from local anime clubs (u of T, Ryerson). If you want to find a lot of them, try attending a meeting or two and making the proposition there. The rest of the staff are mostly from AN staff, so you can find contacts for them on the AN site.

Most of Aaron's CnB staff do not frequent C.com, so making a post here wouldn't be of too much help anyway.

And just a reminder, please don't make double posts. It's against the rules. If you want to quote more than once within a single post, you can always copy and paste the quotes over. ^^

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Unread 12-18-2005, 10:30 PM   #13
heki-chan
SMA-Cosplay
Board Moderator

Dude, Con no Baka has it's own forum. Perhaps you should try your luck there. Cosplay.com does not need extra CnB threads. And no, this thread does not have anything to do with Con no Baka if you're starting a new convention.
Unread 12-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #14
Anime Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy the Yu
A lot of the staff were recruited from local anime clubs (u of T, Ryerson). If you want to find a lot of them, try attending a meeting or two and making the proposition there.
Dave the last-minute panel guy here.

If you want to come talk with me, the next UTARPA show is Friday, Jan. 13th. (It's been a tradition with us that if a month has a Friday the 13th, then we try to have that month's show on it. )

I do have to agree with Amy here with regards to another November con and DTAC. No matter how irritated those purists in fandom that I've talked about are towards Hobbystar, they do have their foot in the door with this one here - and we'd all look like 'Jonny-come-latelys'. But I know that my friend Geoff has been saying all along "Why didn't Aaron scale back and go to the Days Inn?" - formerly known as the Ramada Airport East when AN was there in '99 and '00.

Personally, I'd love to see a non-Hobbystar anime event work in the Fall - perhaps more likely somewhere in the three-week period from late October to mid November. With a slightly smaller dealers room - in my mind there were too many dead spots in the CnB one - a seperate artist alley and a couple of panel and video rooms, it could work.

However, that window of opportunity has passed, as CnB has (in my mind at least) soured the notion of anything larger then a DTAC-style event at that time of the year.

Not to mention the fact of "Where are we going to get the funding?"

Oh, and the one problem with a post-New Year's convention idea is that you have Pandamonium the last weekend in February.
Unread 12-18-2005, 10:48 PM   #15
Anime Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heki-chan
Dude, Con no Baka has it's own forum. Perhaps you should try your luck there. Cosplay.com does not need extra CnB threads. And no, this thread does not have anything to do with Con no Baka if you're starting a new convention.
Aside from a security issue and the privicy issue regarding DTAC taking the CnB badges, it's really sad that the only other recent postings on their boards are spam adds for webcam girls - and I think one of those e-pyramid schemes.
Closed Thread