Go Back   Cosplay.com > Usergroup Forums > Usergroup Discussion and Recruitment

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #31
Fujiiro-chan

Did I make the right choice?

I recently graduated from high school and will be studying Fashion Design at Ryerson University (Toronto, Canada) this September, BUT... I can't help but wonder if I made the right decision. -_-

If you had to chose between Fashion Design and Theatre Production (specializing in Costuming, let's say... like I was debating between) which would you choose?
Fujiiro-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #32
Hiro_01
"haha moo"-Kakashi

thats a good question, i was aqtually headding twords the theartre perduction myself, but i dono any community collages that have it, i want to do that more then fashion design because i'm upssessed with cosplay
L100%
Jessy:100%
Ed-100%
Adding a new con to the list! Bakuraketsu, Anime Boston, CT con (hopefully they'll be more in the summer if i can pay for them all)
Hiro_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 11:20 PM   #33
Ryoko-Dono
Back away from the wig...

I had the same deliema, but I ended up siding on Fashion because I'd helped out on school productions, and I didnt really care for it. I got bossed around too much, and didnt get enough credit.

live in/around upstate ny? check out the upstate ny cosplay society
Ryoko-Dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #34
agent_airline

fellow fashion student here! just finished a summer at Moore (in philadelphia) and am doing a year of community college before applying to FIT and Parsons.
Unread 08-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #35
misplaced
Make-up Artist

I'm planning on taking my skills to Savannah soon enough, I would side with fashion. In theatre, I find i'm a little more limited.

Ryerson's a GREAT school for fashion, next to the ex-Sheridan program. What high school did you come out of?
misplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #36
lehulei
Flutterby

I'm actually in the middle of my AA and about to start a 1yr program to become an LMT, but being an LMT will give me the funds to attend Knox (eww...private schools are expensive =P) as a Theatre Major with an emphasis in Design & Construction.
lehulei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 11:20 PM   #37
Fujiiro-chan

I graduated from Thornlea S.S.

Having been at school for 2 weeks, I feel I should warn those who plan on applying to Ryerson and don't know how to sew (or have never used an industrial sewing machine) that you should take a course or something to prepare yourself. You're given 2 classes to get "acustomed" to the industrial machine and then you are expected to construct a big shirt in class according to instructions you get from watching a video the university has produced.

I see alot of people suffering in the construction class, because they expect you to know alot of things beforehand. Even if you sew alot on a domestic sewing machine, the sheer speed of the industrial machines will throw you off. (It definately gave me grief for a class... or two)

Just some friendly advice from a current first year. ^.^

Did/is anyone else here go to/is attending Ryerson? I'd love to meet some fellow cosplayers that are in the program.

Last edited by Fujiiro-chan : 09-17-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Fujiiro-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 12:19 AM   #38
Machiko
watashi wa ningyoushi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiiro-chan
I graduated from Thornlea S.S.

Having been at school for 2 weeks, I feel I should warn those who plan on applying to Ryerson and don't know how to sew (or have never used an industrial sewing machine) that you should take a course or something to prepare yourself. You're given 2 classes to get "acustomed" to the industrial machine and then you are expected to construct a big shirt in class according to instructions you get from watching a video the university has produced.

I see alot of people suffering in the construction class, because they expect you to know alot of things beforehand. Even if you sew alot on a domestic sewing machine, the sheer speed of the industrial machines will throw you off. (It definately gave me grief for a class... or two)

Just some friendly advice from a current first year. ^.^

Did/is anyone else here go to/is attending Ryerson? I'd love to meet some fellow cosplayers that are in the program.

this is so funny...i just searched online to see if i could find stuff about the Big Shirt because i'm just about 95% finished, and i found this LOL

i also go to Ryerson =D and it's my first year. i hate those industrial machines...>3< they just keep snapping my thread O_O But i do have a industrial Juki in my basement identical to the one in the labs =D so i've done 90% of the sewing at home since the machines at school like to destroy my shirt...
Machiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #39
theredsun11

hey everyone! i'm a senior in highschool and i'm really interested in going to a college in New England that has a good costuming design program..or at least a good fashion/theatre program that can set me on my way...anyone have any suggestions please? (ah and please remember, i have limited funds$ :[)

thanks!
theredsun11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #40
Golden Eyed Dol
professional-in-training

Hey! I'm a costume design/costume technology major at DePaul University. I can't join the group unless they allow membership in more than one group unfortunately, because I've already put in a request to join the Chicagoland group (more chance of meeting up with people) but I thought I'd make myself know to the rest of you people.
Golden Eyed Dol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 03:45 AM   #41
IchiHaneTenshi
Child of DOOM

:3 Hiya! Um, I'm planning to major in fashion design and whatnot. I thought I'd slip in and say helooo.

I enjoy designing my own clothes and wearing them. XD It's fun! I love doing what I do even if I'm not excellent at it yet. I'll be getting into school next year hopefully since I have to take a year off to play catch up. :/ Icky. It's great to see so many people aspiring to be designers though! !!!
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #42
Kiniro Hoshi
Call me Lolo o.~

Hey everyone! I'm currently a senior in high school but I will be attending FIDM in LA in July of this year. I'm going to start out as a fashion design major, but after I get my Associate of Arts I plan to go on with their Theatre Costume Design program. I've already visited the campus and I absolutely love what I've seen! Needless to say, I'm really excited about starting!
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #43
Cynthia

Here to let people know that the link to join the group is: http://forums.cosplay.com/profile.php?do=editusergroups
since I've noticed a lot of people have commented, but not joined.

Background:
I was accepted to Parsons last year, but couldn't attend because it's ridiculously expensive and even with the scholarship they were offering I couldn't afford to attend. (So, yeah, Parsons financial reject. LOL)

About 4 years before that I was also accepted to FIDM.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #44
Kiniro Hoshi
Call me Lolo o.~

I went to the link, but there was nothing to click on in the "Join Group" column :/
Unread 02-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #45
xxMiniKittyxx

i didn't see a link to join the group either.

Im interested in fashion and/or costume major for college, but i also wanted to go to a college that had a good study abroad program.

Specificy I wanted to see what my chances were at getting into the Bunka Fashion School in Tokyo......

help?
xxMiniKittyxx is offline   Reply With Quote