Go Back   Cosplay.com > Usergroup Forums > Usergroup Discussion and Recruitment

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #46
Trajedy
DOOMBITCH

I'm going to apply to Philadelphia University this summer and hopefully transfer in January.

I wanted to do fashion design at the vo-tech school in high school, but I didn't like the people. I was looking into going to the Art Institute in Philly right after graduation, but decided it was too expensive.

Here I am, 4 years of college and 3 majors later and it's still the only thing I really want to do. I've been doing my best to raise my GPA, since it's a hard program to get into. (They recommend at least a 3.0, I've got a 3.19 now, so I want to have a sure shot at this thing). It's expensive, but honestly,I've realized that it really is the only thing I really -enjoy- doing, and could see myself spending most of my life creating clothing. So... we'll see how it goes...
Trajedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #47
MissCarlyfornia
vendi vidi vici

I went to FIDM in Sanfrancisco allmost ten years ago, it was expensive and they did not encourage my lolita lifestyle(no one wants to look like a victorian child! they told me) nor did they encourage stage costuming. I feel FIDM is a school for people who want to go into the industry not so much for people who wish to start their own clothing line. Granted ten years is a long time and this whole Gothic Lolita/anime thing has realy blown up, so maybe they are more receptive now. I would love to know.
Unread 09-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #48
Dal_Segno
Who loves, raves.

Can any one here comment on the practicality of being a costuming major? I’ve thought about several schools (Mainly in London or New York), and I go to an elite high school (which has national recognition apparently O_o), but I'm just wondering if I'm going to be living off Raman for the rest of me life. D:

Personally, I would love to pursue a career making costumes for Visual Kei bands, but I don't know if I'd be chasing something that's not there. DDD:

Assassin: "Where are you going?"
Teal´c: "I am leaving. You are about to explode."

~~~~

FW Ink Wig Dye FAQ
Icon by: Silfar

Dal_Segno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #49
wyldbratling

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_airline View Post
fellow fashion student here! just finished a summer at Moore (in philadelphia) and am doing a year of community college before applying to FIT and Parsons.
Hey, I'm a Moore Alumn! I strongly sugest if you want to do costume design that you apply for FIT in NYC. Moore really is not suted to costume design.
wyldbratling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #50
godsavethequeen
Seamstress Extraordinaire

I graduated from Emory University in May 2006 with a BFA in theater/costume design. Finding work that was specifically related to my degree and paid well was extraordinarily difficult (even in a large city like Atlanta). My experience when looking for jobs in costume shops, etc. was that many of them already have "established" employees - employees that have higher degrees and have worked with that particular costume shop for years, if not a decade or more.

So, what did I do? I started my own costume shop. I negotiated distribution contracts, set up a website, found a good set of contract employees - and now I'm my own boss. It is utterly fabulous and I wouldn't have it any other way. I still like to be involved with local theater companies, but many of those jobs are seasonal (i.e. one production). Something I really appreciate about my own business is the consistency - it is always there. Unless you have ample experience in a costume shop, breaking into a permanent position at more established places can be difficult.

So, my advice to upcoming costume/fashion majors - this is a difficult industry. Expect lots of contract work. As for my current plans - I'd like to expand my business, of course, and go for my masters in fine arts, costume design and construction. Considering SCAD at the moment.

http://www.godsavethequeenfashions.com
gstqfashions@gmail.com
godsavethequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #51
Velvet Wings
Giselle

I'm interested in this usergroup! I finish my AA in December and am transferring to Western Illinois University for their Fashion & Marketing program. (The actual degree will be a Bachelor of Science in Family & Consumer Sciences.)
Velvet Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #52
Varna
Rachel

I'm hoping to attend IADT (International Academy of Design and Technology) in Chicago starting this summer, and I'm going to major in fashion design ^__^ Of course I'm planning on taking costume design classes as well since I'd like to build up my cosplay career. I've been designing outfits for a while but I haven't actually made anything just yet, except for costumes based on character designs.
Varna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #53
Poke' Chan
AKA Poke'K

blah money... I wanted to be a fashion/costume design major but my mom stopped me... she doesn't believe that I should put my future in arts and refused to help me in that direction... currently i'm a psyc major at lsu-s and i love it... psychology is a passion of mine... but I still want to do design... I'm working in retail right now and I started as a seasonal sales associate and now 2 years later i'm a co manager...at 19... i'm hoping to save a little money and finish my degree then when i can afford it myself move somewhere more interesting than Louisiana and get back into design (neither degree offered at me current school and I don't really want to quit my job right now since i love it and they treat me well plus I get to dress people)

any advice?

next con: anime fest

not sure... probably should get on it

Poke' Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #54
Regena
Femme Fatale

im looking to go back to school, for fashion design and merchadising and maybe business managment. The only school i believe that offers something here in NC, that i know of is Meridith college which is an private, all girls school and NC state,which has something in Textiles i believe. There is a school in charlotte, nc but that is to far for me. Until i decide on what i want to do i guess i am stuck at where i feel like ima be for the rest of my friggin life
Unread 11-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #55
Merino
Bucket Loli

I'm currently at Ryerson for fashion design. I enjoy costume making a lot, but I really just enjoy the sewing, I will be happy with any job that lets me sew all day long. I want to take a lot of costuming and historical classes to get well rounded. I'm also a sucker for dresses, I love making them.
Merino is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #56
Quamara

I attended and graduated from the University of Northern Iowa, because my parents convinced me that they and I could not afford to go to the fashion schools. The program wasn’t bad, just really small. I received BAs in Textiles and Apparel and Art. I also worked in the university theatrical costume department for a year and a half. Over all I would say that my experience was good, but it was hard to make contacts for future employment opportunities, because the program was really small.
Quamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #57
Terumi
Guilty Jesus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvregenah View Post
im looking to go back to school, for fashion design and merchadising and maybe business managment. The only school i believe that offers something here in NC, that i know of is Meridith college which is an private, all girls school and NC state,which has something in Textiles i believe. There is a school in charlotte, nc but that is to far for me. Until i decide on what i want to do i guess i am stuck at where i feel like ima be for the rest of my friggin life
I'm an NC girl too, and finding a proper school (in or out of state) has been difficult. In a similar boat ;_;

(This *is* the right spot to post this, right? >< Looking at what other people have posted here, I decided this was my best bet. If I'm wrong, I apologize!)

I was thinking about applying and transferring to APP or ECU for their Drama program with a concentration in Costume Design. If I want to pursue a future in creating costumes for Drama productions (or any other sort of production), would this be appropriate? Or rather, would it be sufficient?

I still talk with my high school art teacher and after speaking with him he responded with "Well, no matter what your degree, people always end up working outside of their job descriptions/degree particulars." But I'm worried it would have me stuck with small productions my entire life because of the degree. Does a goal of working with major productions (or even Television and/or movie) demand a degree from another school with different particulars? (I wouldn't need this to be happy, but I don't want to shut the door so soon or without even realizing it).

Not only this, but I've noticed that some of the schools with degrees labeled "Drama, Television and Movie costume Design" (or something very similar) don't have the students working hands on with a production or actors until the very last year or semester of the program (Where as the Drama degrees with a concentration in costume have you working hands on almost every semester). This confused me because when researching online I discovered that employers seek to hire based on hands on experience.

I feel as if I'm in a bit of a tough bind and I'm not sure which direction I should step off and into. I'm an amateur in need proper schooling, but which is best? Would anyone have suggestions, experience or advice?
Terumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #58
Ichiro
I-zuki the Stitch Witch

Im going for costume design, after i finish up some generals.
Rossiu Remake: 95% - Gurren Lagann
Mistborn: 5% - Mistborn
Dr. Stein: 15% - Soul Eater
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #59
thesingingllama

I'm a Fashion design major at Missouri State University. I love the program, it is very industry based as the professors have actually worked in the field. It was close enough to home for me and I have earned college credit in high school, so I didn't have any trouble getting that to transfer. When I'm done I'll have a Bachelor of Science and I'll have done a required internship, which helps find a job.
It is an affordable school, it was easy to get a scholarship, I didn't need a portfolio like I would have at an art school, and now that I'm here I couldn't imagine going anywhere else.
thesingingllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #60
itsuki<3pudding
has A GUN IN MY HEART!!!

I'm currently a Fashion Design major at the State University of New York at Oneonta. If all goes as planned I'll be attending FIT my last year and getting degrees from both schools.