Go Back   Cosplay.com > Usergroup Forums > Usergroup Discussion and Recruitment

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #61
agent_airline

Can I get an invite to the group? I want to leave the other group I was in...

BTW I go to FIT now Fashion Design major!

Unread 03-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #62
TheLegendofLink
Link in the making

I'm enrolled at the Art Institute of NYC for Fashion Design. Though I'm seriously interested in going into costume design.
TheLegendofLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #63
miyavilover666

I am trying to get into SCAD if not im going to go to the Art Institute of New York.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a scholership for Cosplay???
I have been looking for some...but can't find any. Or one that you can use cosplay for?
Albedo- Xenosaga 2
Space Dandy- Space dandy
Judal (revamp)- Magi
Hiccup- How to train your dragon 2
Check out Umbra cosplay!
I was featured on Otaku House Representing America, check me out here!
miyavilover666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #64
lost_teflon
SHOXX is my VOGUE

I want to be in this group too! I'm at FIT.

Otakon 2011 Lineup
Jasmine You (Revenant Choir)- Friday and Saturday
Switzerland- Sunday

2011 shall be known as the year of epic j-rock cosplay!
Jasmine You~ Revenant Choir (DONE)
Hizaki~ Philia and Masquerade (Maybe....)
Reita~ Filth in the Beauty (if I have energy!)

lost_teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #65
Anicam
Penguins have knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyavilover666 View Post
I am trying to get into SCAD if not im going to go to the Art Institute of New York.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a scholership for Cosplay???
I have been looking for some...but can't find any. Or one that you can use cosplay for?

They don't exist. The only fashion design scholarships that I knew about in high school are the Duct Tape Prom Dress Scholarship, Joann's prom dress contest, Hancock's pattern contest and the ones that were available at the college that I was going to.

Currently those that are interested Cirque de Solei is having a costume contest for their current touring production.

I'm a fashion design major at the University of North Texas, very competitive to get in and very intense program but worth it. I'm planning in getting into Couture which is more artsy than what you train at UNT for which is high fashion that is also marketable. But Costume design is still in the air for me since Couture is hard to get into.

Last edited by Anicam : 04-28-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Anicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #66
Gackt_Girl
Behind You

Accepted at Universisty of Tennessee at Knoxville for Theater costume design ^^ Plan to acquire Masters in design in Japan
Ao no Exorcist- Shura
Gackt_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #67
miyavilover666

YAY i got into SCAD ^^ <3
fashion major here i come ^^
Albedo- Xenosaga 2
Space Dandy- Space dandy
Judal (revamp)- Magi
Hiccup- How to train your dragon 2
Check out Umbra cosplay!
I was featured on Otaku House Representing America, check me out here!
miyavilover666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #68
GNB Cosplay
Cosplay Commissoner

I went to Community College first at Pasadena City College to get my Associates of Arts degree in Fashion Design. Now I'm at CSUN working on my Bachelors Degree in Fashion Design ^_^
Cosplay Commissions
Facebook
CosplayDotCom Marketplace

Otaku Sanctuary Cosplay Magazine
~ Editor in Chief
SoCal Cosplay Ball ~Head Coordinator
GNB Cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #69
Shifty Llama
llama

im not sure how to join but would love to,

Im am currently in 2nd year of a 4year costuming degree at Dalhousie university and am then planning to go on to get a masters in costume design. I would love to get a feel for some of the good schools in the states because im thinking of going there for the masters. It is really great also to see all the other people at school for this sort of thing.
Shifty Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #70
LaPetiteSalope
I approve.

I am currently going to FIT and transfering to VCU for a bachelors degree in costume design :3
LaPetiteSalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #71
Lady_Kana
[insert title here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCarlyfornia View Post
I went to FIDM in Sanfrancisco allmost ten years ago, it was expensive and they did not encourage my lolita lifestyle(no one wants to look like a victorian child! they told me) nor did they encourage stage costuming. I feel FIDM is a school for people who want to go into the industry not so much for people who wish to start their own clothing line. Granted ten years is a long time and this whole Gothic Lolita/anime thing has realy blown up, so maybe they are more receptive now. I would love to know.

I'm in FIDM los angeles campus as of this moment, and I can tell you that they're still pretty unreceptive towards anything that is not geared towards FASHION. I'm continuously told that designs HAVE to come from a fashion forward background, and even with lolita being a lot bigger than it has been it's still quite an unpopular thing in the fashion industry.

For anyone else pursuing a degree in fashion

I think anyone looking to get a degree in fashion has to go for fashion unless they want to pursue costume design in if that's the case get ready for a load of work.

A lot of things you do might not even be the things you want to do.

You will have to draw, paint, business aspects, design patterns, and drape patterns with little to no creative freedom at all at first.

You have to lay down your life for this
That means you might not get to cosplay for a couple of years.
If you're a very very serious person then this is a great way to go. I'm just saying that this is a very time consuming degree where you will have little to no social life at all.

I hear a lot of people saying it's not what they expected, and they waste their money. Even I was surprised when I hopped aboard the train thinking that I could use this to my advantage, and I really can still.

It's hard work and it took me almost a year to figure out that I can't do more than half the things I used to because I'm too worried about making everything work and balance.

Just get ready to pull a lot of all-nighters :3

If you can just go and try and get a degree in costuming, become a tailor/seamstress apprentice, or get an internship with somebody that will let you work for free and teach you.

I say if you can handle that then you can probably handle schools like FIDM or Parsons, and I hope I didn't scare anyone. I'm just trying to let you guys know before you end up doing something you end up regretting.

GOOD LUCK future students !

Last edited by Lady_Kana : 04-30-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Lady_Kana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #72
loserific
Zombie Seamstress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Kana View Post
I'm in FIDM los angeles campus as of this moment, and I can tell you that they're still pretty unreceptive towards anything that is not geared towards FASHION. I'm continuously told that designs HAVE to come from a fashion forward background, and even with lolita being a lot bigger than it has been it's still quite an unpopular thing in the fashion industry.

For anyone else pursuing a degree in fashion

I think anyone looking to get a degree in fashion has to go for fashion unless they want to pursue costume design in if that's the case get ready for a load of work.

A lot of things you do might not even be the things you want to do.

You will have to draw, paint, business aspects, design patterns, and drape patterns with little to no creative freedom at all at first.

You have to lay down your life for this
That means you might not get to cosplay for a couple of years.
If you're a very very serious person then this is a great way to go. I'm just saying that this is a very time consuming degree where you will have little to no social life at all.

I hear a lot of people saying it's not what they expected, and they waste their money. Even I was surprised when I hopped aboard the train thinking that I could use this to my advantage, and I really can still.

It's hard work and it took me almost a year to figure out that I can't do more than half the things I used to because I'm too worried about making everything work and balance.

Just get ready to pull a lot of all-nighters :3

If you can just go and try and get a degree in costuming, become a tailor/seamstress apprentice, or get an internship with somebody that will let you work for free and teach you.

I say if you can handle that then you can probably handle schools like FIDM or Parsons, and I hope I didn't scare anyone. I'm just trying to let you guys know before you end up doing something you end up regretting.

GOOD LUCK future students !

I agree!! I am also currently attending FIDM at the LA campus and I LOVE IT. (Actually I am here right now..in the annex because I don't have the internet back home xD ) But, you are right in so many areas about going into the fashion industry. You really have to take it serious and it can't be just because you want to learn how to make your costumes better, or something like that. I am in my third quarter of my first year and ever since I started all I have done is go to school and work..eat sometimes..and maybe shower if I am lucky. (lol, I kid) I thought that moving out to LA would be awesome because of all the cons here but I haven't been able to go to one. I had to miss PMX because of homework, missed a Diru concert that was literally down the street because of homework/money...so yeah, expect to sacrifice a lot. LA is pretty awesome though..if you have time and money. I canít wait for my break. lol

Just to show how busy I am this is my first time to cosplay.com since I first moved here in September..its been a while. I can't even think of cosplay right now. xD Even though now I have learned so much I still don't have the money. xD

But it really is worth all the time and money. I am loving it so much. And yes, they don't give you much freedom at first but now I am getting to actually make my own designs and all that. I love it though. <3 If you are deciding to go to a fashion school, particularly a two year, be ready to work and really question if this is really what you want to do. They teach you sooo much here which makes it really worth it, if thatís what you want to do.

Oh and YES..be ready for tooooonnns of sleepless nights. In fact, I am going off of two or so hours of sleep today! YEAH! xD

Planned:
Kuranosuke Runway Dress - Kuragehime
Medusa - Soul Eater

Upcoming Events: AX, LA Cosplay Alliance Summer Cos-Fest

♥♥♥ deviantart ~ twitter ~ acp ~ tumblr ~ LA Cosplay Alliance ~ ♥♥♥
loserific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #73
Lady_Kana
[insert title here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by loserific View Post
I agree!! I am also currently attending FIDM at the LA campus and I LOVE IT. (Actually I am here right now..in the annex because I don't have the internet back home xD ) But, you are right in so many areas about going into the fashion industry. You really have to take it serious and it can't be just because you want to learn how to make your costumes better, or something like that. I am in my third quarter of my first year and ever since I started all I have done is go to school and work..eat sometimes..and maybe shower if I am lucky. (lol, I kid) I thought that moving out to LA would be awesome because of all the cons here but I haven't been able to go to one. I had to miss PMX because of homework, missed a Diru concert that was literally down the street because of homework/money...so yeah, expect to sacrifice a lot. LA is pretty awesome though..if you have time and money. I canít wait for my break. lol

Just to show how busy I am this is my first time to cosplay.com since I first moved here in September..its been a while. I can't even think of cosplay right now. xD Even though now I have learned so much I still don't have the money. xD

But it really is worth all the time and money. I am loving it so much. And yes, they don't give you much freedom at first but now I am getting to actually make my own designs and all that. I love it though. <3 If you are deciding to go to a fashion school, particularly a two year, be ready to work and really question if this is really what you want to do. They teach you sooo much here which makes it really worth it, if thatís what you want to do.

Oh and YES..be ready for tooooonnns of sleepless nights. In fact, I am going off of two or so hours of sleep today! YEAH! xD

Haha! I was actually one of those stubborn kids that was like, "hey I can do this for cosplaying! AWESOME!"
and the I'm too stubborn to listen to anyone because I though it wouldn't be hard for me. I have a horrible attention span though, and if I don't get started on my work then it's hard for me to ever get to it >__<
Didn't turn out to be what I expected at all, and I found my love to be not in sewing like I thought, but in pattern making and history of costumes.

I'm actually pretty bad at all the design aspects of fashion design lol
I can draw decently, but I'm not the greatest seamstress or draper :<

I actually had to take a quarter off because I was so stressed between work, moving, and school so I decided to just take a break.

I didn't think I'd get to meet a fellow Los Angeles FIDM student though!
and we're in the same quarter ! So weird
Lady_Kana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #74
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

.. I recently finished school for fashion design.. =) .. It is a lot tougher than most people assume.. The fashion program at my school had the highest drop-out rate of any other program in the school, because many people signed up thinking that it was going to be easy..

Now that I'm done, I'm having a really hard time finding a job O.O
... And, it was sooo expensive O.O

Last edited by kuroi_shi : 04-30-2009 at 11:23 PM.
kuroi_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #75
athena-chan

BA in fashion design from IADT
athena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote