Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-21-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
RamenNoodles
V-Babe Strikes Again!

The Illusion of Floating

Hello everyone! I've just recently been to a photoshoot with my new Lum costume, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make it look like I am floating or flying in the photo for next time. I know photography angles and certain poses can make all sorts of special effects. For example, my friend Hanime did an Elastigirl costume where the photographer did certain angles and background colors to make it look like her limbs were stretching. I've also seen Harry Potter pictures where a broomstick-flyer looks to be in midair (accomplished merely by jumping and the photographer taking the photo quickly).

So my question is if any of you know of a certain pose, background setting/color, angle, etc. that would make it appear as though the subject were floating or flying? I'm sure if it comes down to it I could just jump into the air, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. If there isn't anything really, then I guess there's always Photoshop. I appreciate any feedback or suggestiosn!

Unread 12-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
halafax
Mad scientist

I dont think it was them jumping, because unless they have a really good cam you are going to get a blurred photo. Generally you want a your back to the sky maybe. It depends, on how you want to look while flying. If its you just kinda hanging there then you could do something where the sky is at your back, and maybe a building in the back ground.

Though you could do a CG which would make it easier. If you are standing on a balcony the photographer can take the shot from a kneeling position and take the pic from there.
Unread 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

I'd probably agree with halafax about CGing. It's probably the easiest way to do this.

Key in this fact is that ground and objects are suggested by shadows of some form. So the only way to suggest floating in midair is to either disconnect shadows from subject (in which case, they really are floating), or otherwise make a situation where a shadow wouldn't exist. The only ways I could think of doing the latter all involve studio controlled situations, where you could use solid backdrops and/or controlled lighting.

If you wish to do it by jumping, remember that to look like floating, the jumping has to be a bit unnatural. If you need a cheap trick to stop motion for someone jumping, remember that a flash does exactly this.

Another thought... With enough dead overhead lighting, wouldn't it be possible to actually create a floating situation by lying flat against a solid/pattern sheet or whatever on the ground, and just use clever composition?
Unread 12-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
RamenNoodles
V-Babe Strikes Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halafax
I dont think it was them jumping, because unless they have a really good cam you are going to get a blurred photo. Generally you want a your back to the sky maybe. It depends, on how you want to look while flying. If its you just kinda hanging there then you could do something where the sky is at your back, and maybe a building in the back ground.

Though you could do a CG which would make it easier. If you are standing on a balcony the photographer can take the shot from a kneeling position and take the pic from there.
I am 100% certain that it was them jumping, because I was watching them do it, and the pictures turned out phenomenally (I also am certain that it was a really, really, good camera, so I guess that explains it, lol).

Thanks for the ideas though, having my back to the sky and having the angles be really low really seem like a doable idea, especially if the pic is a close-up. Thanks for the suggestions!
Unread 12-21-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
RamenNoodles
V-Babe Strikes Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnishi
I'd probably agree with halafax about CGing. It's probably the easiest way to do this.

Key in this fact is that ground and objects are suggested by shadows of some form. So the only way to suggest floating in midair is to either disconnect shadows from subject (in which case, they really are floating), or otherwise make a situation where a shadow wouldn't exist. The only ways I could think of doing the latter all involve studio controlled situations, where you could use solid backdrops and/or controlled lighting.

If you wish to do it by jumping, remember that to look like floating, the jumping has to be a bit unnatural. If you need a cheap trick to stop motion for someone jumping, remember that a flash does exactly this.

Another thought... With enough dead overhead lighting, wouldn't it be possible to actually create a floating situation by lying flat against a solid/pattern sheet or whatever on the ground, and just use clever composition?
You've got some excellent ideas here, jtnishi. I think I'll have to play with several different methods and see what comes out the best. I also have a brain wave that maybe if I were to stand on a cleverly concealed stepstool, and then just balance on one foot, allowing the other to slip out in front, I'd be able to pull off the disconnected shadows without having to jump stiffly or have a superfast camera. I think I'll take all of these ideas into consideration, and post my findings once I figure it out. I'm sure other Cosplayers and photographers would want to know this information, because there are plenty of characters that float and fly. ^^ Thanks so much for all of your help.
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

2 quick and easy options.....

black background, same shade black prop to stand on.
2 fstops more light on subject then bg.
underexpose slightly.

OR

white background, same white prop to stand on.
2 fstops more light on background than subject.
overexpose slightly.

Either way, you will drown the prop into the background, turning it invisible. you will only see where your costume starts.

In any case, use exposure compensation after the fact if you need to fine tune. Or, use brightness/contrast. That will take your picture the rest of the way to lose the background to the exposure.

Enjoy,
Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
RamenNoodles
V-Babe Strikes Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staereo
2 quick and easy options.....

black background, same shade black prop to stand on.
2 fstops more light on subject then bg.
underexpose slightly.

OR

white background, same white prop to stand on.
2 fstops more light on background than subject.
overexpose slightly.

Either way, you will drown the prop into the background, turning it invisible. you will only see where your costume starts.

In any case, use exposure compensation after the fact if you need to fine tune. Or, use brightness/contrast. That will take your picture the rest of the way to lose the background to the exposure.

Enjoy,
Bruce

That is an excellent idea, I think I'll use that in conjunction with what I was thinking about a footstool. I hadn't even thought of using the F-stops (maybe because I've got a high-powered camera and know nothing about photography so these things don't occur to me off the bat), and will definitely give that a try.
Unread 12-22-2005, 02:36 AM   #8
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

staereo's tip involves controlling light, not really the camera. the easiest way is to jump. it really is easy but I won't be doing other Superman shots in the near future.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #9
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Tomodachi is correct, i was reffering to studio lighting...

I apologize about that one.. When I hear photoshoot I guess I assume more lighting control than camera.

Most of all, have a good time!
Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #10
Inu-girl4290
IamthebloodoftheDragon

If you have a trampoline or know someone who has one, you could put your costume on and have someone take your picture (while you try to pose) when your up in the air. I've done it before (not in a costume though) and it looks like your flying if you take it so the trampoline isn't in the picture.

Future Cons:
AWA 2011
Anime USA 2011 (possibly)
Megacon 2012
Inu-girl4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2005, 06:52 AM   #11
Efecss

Well, there is another, kind of risky, way.

If you can get on a tall building, stand on like a chair or a extra sturdy box, and the phtographer frames you with the box out of frame...

There is ofcourse, the steele beam trick, but you probably couldn't afford that.

And I'm thinking wire off a cherrypicker is out, too.
Unread 12-23-2005, 08:25 AM   #12
Genecks
mmm. osushi tabemasu ka.

There's an magic trick a person can do to give the illusion of floating. Of course I'm going to have to tell you to google it.

keywords: street magic levitation floating

http://www.1streetmagic.com/david_bl...levitation.htm
Unread 12-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

or you can actually jump off a building, buttttt that is prolly the most risky thing there is, and if you dont land on a cushion of some sort, and survive, you might get sent to prison on trying to commit suicide

maybe i should be quite.....

2014 cons: Shatterdome Con for sure, and maybe other local ones like AUSA.

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
RamenNoodles
V-Babe Strikes Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efecss
Well, there is another, kind of risky, way.

If you can get on a tall building, stand on like a chair or a extra sturdy box, and the phtographer frames you with the box out of frame...

There is ofcourse, the steele beam trick, but you probably couldn't afford that.

And I'm thinking wire off a cherrypicker is out, too.
As much fun as the wire off a cherrypicker would be... you're right: it probably can't happen. I have no idea how much that costs, but it sounds dangerous to boot. *le sigh* Hehe!

Genecks: I thought he had always done that by tipping one foot slightly, but apparently they hooked him up under an electromagnet? Now that's cool! I might practice the one-foot thing because I don't have the sort of equipment necessary for those other things...

Thanks for you ideas, everyone! You've been so helpful! ^^
Unread 12-23-2005, 08:15 PM   #15
Efecss

I was just reminded on how George Reeves did it in Superman.

He was actually standing, feet on the floor, tipped about 30 to 40 degrees, and had two fans blowing his cape, while he was being back projected. And they tilted the camera to make it look like he was horozontal.

Just to add something to the pot.