Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 451 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-10-2006, 01:38 AM   #91
DragonLadysupre
Con Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi
Great topic~

I also have dark brown eyes (which is why I'm in here. xD) And I also am in need of getting grey and blue contact lenses for my cosplaying this summer. I've been reading through here and I understand which brands I should ask for and look for and all that jazz but my problem is I don't need contacts, and are optometrists able to give perscriptions to people who don't need them still? Since I highly doubt my mom would let me get it from anywhere else because of safety issues, though I'm thinking she may not even let me do that. Argh. D:
Not all contacts are RX, as many get them plano (non perscription.) Another reason to recieve an eye exam from an optometrist is for the right fitting of contacts. If you go to some sites which provide some variety, you'll see base curve sizes at 8.6 (MEDIAN) and it can go down to 8.5 or further, or up to 8.7, or higher. That, and the diameter also varies person to person. Mine is 14.5, while there's a 15.0 and 14.0 out there.
  • In the end, it doesn't matter whether you're a youkai or human...

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston|| AnimeNEXT || Otakon || LI Who
DragonLadysupre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2006, 02:21 AM   #92
Annie-Mei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi
Great topic~

I also have dark brown eyes (which is why I'm in here. xD) And I also am in need of getting grey and blue contact lenses for my cosplaying this summer. I've been reading through here and I understand which brands I should ask for and look for and all that jazz but my problem is I don't need contacts, and are optometrists able to give perscriptions to people who don't need them still? Since I highly doubt my mom would let me get it from anywhere else because of safety issues, though I'm thinking she may not even let me do that. Argh. D:

Yes . just visit your opthomologist and tell them you need to be sized for contacts and be sure to mention that you need plano.

actually, a visit my tell you that you may need to wear corrective lenses if you haven't done a full exam in a while. You should just go in for a full eye exam and tell them that you arei nterested in contacts.

im plano through corrective surgery, and I order costume contacts.
Annie-Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #93
kiddevil
you would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Mei
Yes . just visit your opthomologist and tell them you need to be sized for contacts and be sure to mention that you need plano.

actually, a visit my tell you that you may need to wear corrective lenses if you haven't done a full exam in a while. You should just go in for a full eye exam and tell them that you arei nterested in contacts.

im plano through corrective surgery, and I order costume contacts.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLadysupre
Not all contacts are RX, as many get them plano (non perscription.) Another reason to recieve an eye exam from an optometrist is for the right fitting of contacts. If you go to some sites which provide some variety, you'll see base curve sizes at 8.6 (MEDIAN) and it can go down to 8.5 or further, or up to 8.7, or higher. That, and the diameter also varies person to person. Mine is 14.5, while there's a 15.0 and 14.0 out there.

Thank you both so much for the information. I'm going to chat with the parents about going in for a check-up as well as getting the plano versions if my eyes are still in shape.

the comeback kid

cosspace
/devart
kiddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #94
ash3
My keyblade can't cut ;o;

This is a great thread, and it's helped me a lot XD! I'm asian and have dark brown... (sometimes reddish brown looking o_O) eyes, so reading up on this stuff has been really helpful ^^.

When I was having my consultations with the lens fitter, they let me try on 2 types of Freshlook green contacts. One in Freshlook Colorblends, and another in Colors. I bought the Colors one because their opaque. I think they show up quite well actually... if your trying to get a bold green color of course. XD
Here's a picture of my natural eye color, and my eyes with the contacts on:

Natural Eye Color and With Freshlook Colors on

Yes... er, I dont know whats with my eye on the left, farthest down o_o it looks really scary to me XD! But Freshlook colors have been the most natural (but at the same time, bold) looking green I've found to be effective on my eyes... and the easiest to find at an optomitrist.

Most of this thread is in regards to green contacts for dark eyes, and apparently blue contacts haven't been an issue for most people with dark eyes. ^^;
But I'm making a Kairi costume right now and was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions into which brand/color contacts I should get for Kairi. ^^; I wasn't able to try on any blue contacts because I had my heart set on green, and now I regret it x_x;!

Snow White [Disney's Snow White & the Seven Dwarves] - 20%
Taiwan [Axis Powers Hetalia] - 0%
Spain/Antonio Fernandez Carriedo (Succession Wars)[Axis Powers Hetalia] - 0%
Spain/Antonio Fernandez Carriedo (Gakuen Hetalia)[Axis Powers Hetalia] - 0%
Hungary/Elizaveta Héderváry (Gakuen Hetalia) [Axis Powers Hetalia] - 100%
Elliot March [Alice in the Country of Hearts] - 0%
ash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #95
Yueri

ash3,

I think those freshlooks look really nice... o.o
I might get some from myself because of the nice ''reviews'' XD

Bya n.n
Unread 05-05-2006, 05:02 AM   #96
Aleria

I havent had any real luck in finding contacts that will change my eye color more golden or yellow... i dont want my eyes to look really artificial with the really opaque yellow contacts, just something that will look yellow or gold in pictures....if that makes sense ....im leaning towards the hazel contacts from cosplaylab

http://www.cosplaylab.com/proshop/cosmeticlens.asp

does anyone have any experience or advice? thanks in advance
Unread 05-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #97
Chibi-kun
spam and rice! >D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleria
I havent had any real luck in finding contacts that will change my eye color more golden or yellow... i dont want my eyes to look really artificial with the really opaque yellow contacts, just something that will look yellow or gold in pictures....if that makes sense ....im leaning towards the hazel contacts from cosplaylab

http://www.cosplaylab.com/proshop/cosmeticlens.asp

does anyone have any experience or advice? thanks in advance
I would mostly say go for the Color Max brand since their especially made for people with darker eyes, their meant to show up pretty well. I have a photo of my sis wearing her blue contacts from Cosplaylab using the Color Max contacts located at this thread. So I highly recommend Color Max for people with darker eyes that wants a natural color look and not go over the top with the more special effects/theatrical contacts.

Chibi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #98
VincentEternal

I finally got my contacts for my Vincent Valentine outfit! I think they look crazy! Here's a link to a pic of me wearing them. I was trying to find some that covered my dark brown eyes enough. o.O

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...incentPics.jpg
VincentEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #99
Moonlit_Rose
Indeed

If you have dark eyes, like I do, your best bet might be the freshlook color contacts. Radience might be yourbest bet. When I last went to the eyedoctor and looked at the contacts for dark eyes, there were annual pairs that were extreamly dramatic--they did not just 'cover up'. You couldn't see anything of the original color.
Moonlit_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #100
ninana
(chrissyplaysdressup)

Wow... This is really helpful! I've really not cosplayed yet so I had no idea about colored contacts! Mmm... however~~

For Mizuno, ( http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Animation...age/mizuno.jpg )
which color contacts should I get? I need them prescription... ^^; and I've yet to come across some pink lenses anyway.

Oh, and I have some Radience contacts... Th' gold and bronze... Autumn and Sunrise is it? Nobody could notice unless I was standing in direct sunlight... and looking at it XD I mean light had to hit it just right... Otherwise it was too subtle I guess ^^;

Last edited by ninana : 06-08-2006 at 11:32 PM.
ninana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #101
nikki23nishi
Mizugameza!!!

OOOO im like in love with all these colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have such awesome ones! Spare money (no such thing lol) is now going to contacts! Red, black, white, blue, puprple ahhh so many i could faint! Most girls like shoes...i think i like contacts! lol
nikki23nishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #102
VincentEternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki23nishi
OOOO im like in love with all these colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have such awesome ones! Spare money (no such thing lol) is now going to contacts! Red, black, white, blue, puprple ahhh so many i could faint! Most girls like shoes...i think i like contacts! lol
Yesss...you must give yourself over to the power of the contacts! The more colors the better! XD
Unread 06-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #103
nikki23nishi
Mizugameza!!!

XD yes...the more the merier!!!
Unread 06-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #104
VincentEternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki23nishi
XD yes...the more the merier!!!
So, what color contacts are you looking for?
Unread 06-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #105
nikki23nishi
Mizugameza!!!

Umm i was looking for red ones, but i found them...now im saving up ^_^. I like the lestate ones too...there just soooo many!!!
lol Yeah im just looking around more for fun though, thanks anyway!!