Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime USA

Unread 01-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
csueshambaugh
C Sue

Question Quick Survey: To pre-reg or not to pre-reg?

Hello! I'm already working on logistics for next year's AUSA cosplay contest, and on that topic, I would like to hear from as many different AUSA-attending cosplayers as possible on the following questions:

(1) Would online-only pre-reg for the AUSA cosplay contest in 2006 meet your needs? (Available via web and/or direct email.)

(2) Would you like to see an exception for Young Fan entries to register on-site as well? (Probably restricted to a Saturday AM deadline.)

Thanks for your help! I'll be looking at and correlating responses through next Saturday evening.

- C Sue Shambaugh
AUSA 2006 Cosplay Director
csueshambaugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Vicky
Now with more bwag

This would be more appropriate in the AUSA forum located here: http://forums.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
csueshambaugh
C Sue

Yes, but unfortunately, that forum is for the 2005 con, and there's not yet a forum for the 2006 AUSA (it being wa--y early yet). If this generates a general discussion about pre-reg versus on-site, that would also be fine!

- C Sue
Unread 01-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Personally I 100% prefer onsite registration, both as a Paricipant and as a Masquerade Director.

Due to the size of the Anime North Masqeurade (roughtly capped at approximately 80-100 entries), we have a preset number of prereg spaces, and then a balance of onsite registrations. We have a small buffer zone for young fans (under 13 years of age) i.e. if we caps at 80 and we fill to capacity, we'll accept a few extra young fans, (since generally the little young ones don't spend thier time researching the rules too closely and their parents for various reasons may not be aware of them and check at all.) Thier always in my experience first timers that I don't want to discourage by excluding after mom has driven them 13 hours from Another state or province or something. ^_^

Haha. Sorry about the journey into my mindset there.

To reitterate, I prefer onsite reg. As a masquerade director it saves me the headache of all the changes and blahblah that come up when groups change members, etc between the pre registration date and the actual masquerade check in among other things. As a paricipant it gives me more time to fiddle with, fully develop, and fine tune my presentation ideas. (I've done complete overhauls days before a masqeurade).

My #1 reason for strongly disliking online registration is A) I feel it discriminates against people without home computers/the internet. (And for those who feel compeled to argue the EVERYONE has access to the internet line, then you really have no idea how many disadvantaged people/and rural families there are in our countries with little or no internet access, free or otherwise.)

I also as someone who works full time cannot be refreshing a website for hours on end in the middle of the night waiting for the prereg information to go up so I can grab one of the few spaces available. I'm sure many other people students, etc feel the same way.

Cheers! Good luck with whatever you ultimately decide.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 01-03-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
csueshambaugh
C Sue

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm probably going to do a combination system again next year (accept pre-reg before con, and still accept at-con reg *in person* on Friday). Through the years I've gotten used to people making (sometimes multiple) last-minute changes; especially since you can't really know who's going to be taken out at the last minute by flu or getting hit by a car (true story!). And our paperwork system is fairly streamlined after doing this for 11+ years.

Tom & I absolutely agree about not discouraging The Littlest Fen from costuming. There have been fewer of them lately, from what I've seen. (The family at AUSA last year being a major exception!) And their folks may often not decide until the last day that they're even going to attend, what with today's overscheduled families.

Now, all that said, even when we told cosplayers that they were supposed to pre-reg for Katsu and that only Young Fan entries would be taken at the door, most times all the slots we had time for did NOT get filled up. And no matter what you do, there will always be no-shows. This happens even when people sign up at-con. In fact, it may happen *because* they sign up at-con: people get all giddy, think they should throw a group together at the last minute because they happen to all be dressed similarly, fill out their form, and then get cold feet later after the initial giddy wears off.

So I try to be as flexible as possible about skit-member-substitution even for pre-reg groups, but there is one undeniable fact: those who pre-reg and stick with their plan tend to be better organized, and therefore have fewer problems with their presentations.

- C Sue
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by csueshambaugh
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm probably going to do a combination system again next year (accept pre-reg before con, and still accept at-con reg *in person* on Friday). Through the years I've gotten used to people making (sometimes multiple) last-minute changes; especially since you can't really know who's going to be taken out at the last minute by flu or getting hit by a car (true story!). And our paperwork system is fairly streamlined after doing this for 11+ years.

<....edited down 'cause you know what you said...> ^_^
Bless you dear lady. I feel that this is the happiest solution all around, and if you are prepared to go the extra mile as a Masquerade Director to do it, kudos to you for your dedication.

You're reputation proceeds you, (a good one), and I see it's well deserved. ^_^

Cheers!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Sorahana
...That was a joke

Personally, I like both systems. The pre-reg is good, but its like what if something happens? As for the on-site, I like doing it because when I'm at the con, I have stuff finalized and can have it good to go at a con versus pre-regging, but both systems work XD.
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote