Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-29-2002, 03:02 PM   #1
Tenshisama
Gimme a Chu!

Posing for pictures

When LazyAngel and I were looking at some of the otakon pics, she noticed a lack of posing... which in the end looks kinda odd and almost seems to detract from the costume...

I can understand not posing, because it seems really unnatural unless you are into photographic or drama or something... so I figured this would be a good place for everybody to give suggestions on good ways to think about posing for pictures and such. For example, when you think of how you might pose for pictures, do you look at existing pictures of the character or just create something? etc etc

Unread 07-29-2002, 03:06 PM   #2
Ina
har har har

i look at existing pictures of the character, like the main pose of the character where the character does the same pose on every picture, i also create my own poses and practice it in front of my mirror in my costume, fun ^_^
Ina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 03:57 PM   #3
Jinx
Making a Comeback?

Same here!! Although, I didn't study Honey well enough before, so I only did one pose and then made up the rest. :P

I always try to be in character though, even when I do make up my own poses.

Unread 07-29-2002, 04:18 PM   #4
Kaitou
Looking for my DZ0

I do main poses or character poses. i can't find many Ota2002 pics yet, anyone feel free to help poor lil me. Lord knows our group and when we were out individually we couldn't take two steps w/o a pic being taken. *Was blind, really she was*

I actually conversed with someone the other day on this. My pet peeve on posing? if you're a girl playing a boy, don't stand like a girl!!!!
Kaitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 05:24 PM   #5
Shinobu
Make me Shining

I only got to get my pictueres taken with one costume since I only went to one day of the con. ^^;
Well I posed with a Sailor Iron mouse (I was Mars) and she put her arm around me right away as the pose so that's how it was. ^^;;
And I got my picture taken in from of a sailor moon cut-out so I posed like I was about to punch Usagi in the face.
And another picture I just posed with my hands on my hips... ^^;
Shinobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 05:36 PM   #6
arisuchan
spirit of chivarly

mostly i try to do a character's signature pose like most people, but if not I try to do something "in character." Most of my costumes have been with other people so we try to interact when together, for example while Lady Somairot and I were in our Bloodlust costumes we posed with her biting my neck cause it was fun *^^*
arisuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 06:05 PM   #7
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

I'm really terrible at posing. When I was asked to pose as Haruko looking scary, I wound up looking possessed (in a bad way, I think). I think some people are just posing challenged, especially if it's not a character that has a signature pose. I have trouble cause I can't exactly do the "smile and victory" standard pose, since the characters I've done would SO not ever do that. Well I hope people have some tips I can use . . . and don't be too hard on the posing challlenged! ^^;;;

To my credit, I don't pose smiling with characters who don't smile. Even if people have decided I'm depressed as a result . . .
Unread 07-29-2002, 06:25 PM   #8
kelldar
kelldar the barbarian

I usually end up doing pretty much the same thing for everything. ><; And then when asked to do another pose for a second shot, I end up going, "uh...................." *turn to the side and does the same thing* heh
Unread 07-29-2002, 08:02 PM   #9
Himemiya
AAAHHH INTERFACING

When I work really hard on a costume, I tend to not get it done in time to really think up a good pose O.o All my Emi poses were horrible...
But now I know!
Photographers can be intimidating, too, with their big scary flashes O.O
Himemiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 08:16 PM   #10
Neon Genocide
Boy Band Reject

Just by watching the movie and or game I pick up there actions and poses, maybe putting a little twist on it and keep it looking natural. People should just try something, it always comes out better than just standing there.

I put instant coffee in a microwave oven and almost went back in time.
Neon Genocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 10:20 PM   #11
ReiChan
Death Incarnate

I'm pose-challenged. I felt so bad, I did the victory pose thing in my picture on Fan's View. (bad, bad me). Especially bad because I was wearing my Haruko costume >_< I know, I'm horrible. I'm also one of those people who smiles reflexively in front of cameras. Ick. I'm going to have to try and change that in the future, but I've only cosplayed once, and I was a little overwhelmed by the whole picture thing. @_@ I felt so bad, another Haruko cosplayer asked me to pose with her, and I did some dumb-ass catgirl-type pose. That might have been you, Ayaka, I dunno. If so, I'm sorry! I felt like such a tool, lol. Oy.
Unread 07-29-2002, 10:52 PM   #12
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

I'm very bad at posing >.<. My worst fault is that I forget to smile. I HATED smiling for pics when I was a kid, and it's haunting me now. Also, I had NO idea how to pose while in Pretear. The only real pose she has is her attack pose, and I think it looks kinda ecchi ^^;;. So I didn't do it, but my poses were absolutely horrible at AX ;_;.

I'm gonna get this to an art one day, I swear ._.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 11:04 PM   #13
Shinobu
Make me Shining

now that I think of it not many people I took pics of posed... Well a lot posed but some didnt.... I just noticed now... But the cool poses like Selphie's victory pose is simple to do. ^^:
Shinobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:18 AM   #14
Mikagami
Mizu no Kenshi....

Posing is one thing I need to work on when I cosplay again. For all the pictures I took when I was dressed as Shishio at AZ, I didn't really make any attempt to pose, not even for the Fan's View picture. Plus, I couldn't think of any good poses other than random glove adjusting and whatnot. ~_~
Mikagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 08:13 PM   #15
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Rei-chan - catgirl Haruko, lol. Nope, not me; though it might have been Nanakaoru . . . I only have a pic of me with her, none of the other Harukos! Shame on me for being late to the FLCL gathering! ;_;

Personally I'm deeply ashamed that I got my photo taken by a Japanese cosplayer and it was Sunday, I was worn out, and I think I posed in a REALLY lame way. X.< That's gotta be worse than falling victim to the Fan's View Syndrome.