Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Super Smash Bros.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #5626
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@karuka: yay welcome aboard ^^! It's awesome to see alternate outfits of the Smash characters, and your Green Pit looks awesome! I wouldn't think you were just starting out lol, considering even my early stuff was pretty newbish XD.

It looks like makeshift has you covered here lol. Though I bought paperclay on sale the other day so I hope to use that somewhere for my Marth sword. Lol.

Oh and yes, craft foam is ftwww. I love that stuff XD.

My Halloween cosplay is almost done! Which means I'm closer to continuing Marth!
Sunday - Espeon Gijinka (Pokemon)
snowkirby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #5627
karuka ikashi
The Green Pit

Sorry, I posted twice... hope the mods delete this

Last edited by karuka ikashi : 10-28-2009 at 02:19 PM.
karuka ikashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #5628
karuka ikashi
The Green Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeshiftwings View Post
Yeah I just used a thin sheet of it. You might have to get a long one depending on how thick your thighs are. I think I had to buy the longest one they have. I have thunder thighs >_>

The first time I made his swords I just used foam board and painted it, for the hilt and everything. They looked really ghetto. The second time I used foam board for the blade and the hilt, but then covered those in paperclay. I think paperclay is lighter than model magic, and they never broke on me. For the hilt I used a wooden dowel and PVC piping. Just make sure if you do it this way that you continue down the paperclay onto the handles for a little extra support. And use epoxy glue to glue the handle onto the hilt. The bad thing about these is that they might be a little crooked. Now my blades are made out of wood. They are gorgeous and lightweight and I love them. I still used paperclay to add dimension to the hilt, and the handles are still wooden dowels and PVC piping epoxied onto the hilt with that little extra bit of paperclay. If you're willing to work with wood, totally go for it. It's worth it.
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into those. I'm having kinda a hard time picturing the dowels and PVC pipe together, though. Are the dowels for the long part where you hold onto and the PVC pipe for the hand guard that goes across? I don't know if I have the tools to work with wood available, but it's something I'd like to try. Paperclay also sounds like a good material for me to start experimenting with. I think I might use wood to support the sides of the blade and use paperclay to get them in the right shape. I'd really like to keep the tennis rackets as bases for the hilts if I can because they're strong and give me the shape I want. It's just the middle that needs the most work. XD; I'll get a hold of some epoxy too. I've worked with some of that in sculpture class. I wonder if I can use it to reinforce the magnets at the bottom of each sword. Those things are too much fun; they're the other reason I want to keep the swords light (besides the fact that I want to, you know, carry them around for 3-4 days at a time XD). Thanks again, makeshift! Your Pit is so awesome~ ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkirby View Post
@karuka: yay welcome aboard ^^! It's awesome to see alternate outfits of the Smash characters, and your Green Pit looks awesome! I wouldn't think you were just starting out lol, considering even my early stuff was pretty newbish XD.

It looks like makeshift has you covered here lol. Though I bought paperclay on sale the other day so I hope to use that somewhere for my Marth sword. Lol.

Oh and yes, craft foam is ftwww. I love that stuff XD.

My Halloween cosplay is almost done! Which means I'm closer to continuing Marth!
Thanks! I had a lot of fun cosplaying green (christmas?) Pit. XD I had a hard time choosing which color I wanted to do, but I figured I liked the green version the best, and now he's my favorite to use when I Brawl.

I wouldn't say I was just starting out (been cosplaying for about 5 years now), but I've been trying harder to step out of the newbie zone and looking into new techniques and materials for props and the more complicated parts of cosplays I'd like to do. It it takes a lot more time (and money X_x) but it's definitely worth the results. ^^

Good luck with Marth!
Unread 10-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #5629
makeshiftwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuka ikashi View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into those. I'm having kinda a hard time picturing the dowels and PVC pipe together, though. Are the dowels for the long part where you hold onto and the PVC pipe for the hand guard that goes across? I don't know if I have the tools to work with wood available, but it's something I'd like to try. Paperclay also sounds like a good material for me to start experimenting with. I think I might use wood to support the sides of the blade and use paperclay to get them in the right shape. I'd really like to keep the tennis rackets as bases for the hilts if I can because they're strong and give me the shape I want. It's just the middle that needs the most work. XD; I'll get a hold of some epoxy too. I've worked with some of that in sculpture class. I wonder if I can use it to reinforce the magnets at the bottom of each sword. Those things are too much fun; they're the other reason I want to keep the swords light (besides the fact that I want to, you know, carry them around for 3-4 days at a time XD). Thanks again, makeshift! Your Pit is so awesome~ ^^
I use a wooden dowel and PVC pipe as the handles so that I can fit them together to become a bow. The circumference of the PVC piping is just big enough so that the wooden dowel can slip nicely inside without a lot of room. One handle will be slightly bigger than the other, but if you get just the right size, it's hardly noticeable. It's difficult to explain in words and my anatomy of swords is lacking, so here's a diagram XD
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...desDiagram.jpg
I've never used magnets to make them fit together, but I think this way would be preferable. My guess is that they're a lot more secure when they're fit together this way, and also you don't have a super long middle of the bow when they're together as well.
Whatever you do, just make sure the blade isn't too heavy. If you use either model magic or paperclay, just put a really thin layer over the foam board. For the hilt, I added about an inch of paperclay over the wood base.
And thank you for the compliment :3
AFO - Possessed Wander (Friday); Earth Kingdom Toph with Fire Nation Cloak (Saturday & Sunday)
Dragon*con - Toph Bei Fong (Sunday)

Planned Cosplays

Okami Amaterasu (Planning) [Completion Date: ???]
makeshiftwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #5630
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@karuka: ahh I see :3 I've been cosplaying for about the same amount of time actually; this Halloween will mark my 5th year cosplaying. o.o wow that makes me sound old lmao! I find my sewing skills can be better though; I'm not the best seamstress out there ^^;. I love making props though, such as jewelry and plushies, so I feel those are my stronger talents. Oh and designing outfits <3.

Lol I'm surprised Green Pit isn't done enough, as most of the alternate outfits are actually. I also like Black and White Marth, but I play with his FE colors (more vibrant :3), which is the version I'm doing.

Best of luck with the blades ^^!
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #5631
Shinkusenshi

I'm totally being Captain Falcon for Halloween O.O
Win.

Debuted cosplays:
Anime Syracuse 2009 - Travis Touchdown
New York Anime Festival 2009 - Duke Devlin, Mafia Leon Kennedy
Halloween 2009 - Captain Falcon

Planned cosplays:
Giriko
Free (Demoneye)
Dr. Franken Stein
Chrono
Kuroki Kaze
The Merchant
SC4 Maxi
The Fear
Jouya Kanou
Haruki Emishi
Mario Gear Solid
Flame Swordsman
The Prince (PoP:SoT)
Shinkusenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #5632
karuka ikashi
The Green Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeshiftwings View Post
I use a wooden dowel and PVC pipe as the handles so that I can fit them together to become a bow. The circumference of the PVC piping is just big enough so that the wooden dowel can slip nicely inside without a lot of room. One handle will be slightly bigger than the other, but if you get just the right size, it's hardly noticeable. It's difficult to explain in words and my anatomy of swords is lacking, so here's a diagram XD
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...desDiagram.jpg
I've never used magnets to make them fit together, but I think this way would be preferable. My guess is that they're a lot more secure when they're fit together this way, and also you don't have a super long middle of the bow when they're together as well.
Whatever you do, just make sure the blade isn't too heavy. If you use either model magic or paperclay, just put a really thin layer over the foam board. For the hilt, I added about an inch of paperclay over the wood base.
And thank you for the compliment :3
Oh, I see (literally)! Thanks for the pic! Yeah, I can see why your method is better for connecting them, especially since it makes the middle the length it should be. I guess I'd just have to find PVC pipe and wooden dowels close enough in size that one doesn't slide out of the other too easily (I'd love to be able to do the spinning bow attack, but I know that's stretching it :P). I've been looking for PVC pipe at Home Depot lately and the kind that I used for another costume disappeared. D: I wonder if I'm just looking in the wrong place. Is this the kind of paperclay you use? http://www.dickblick.com/products/cr...3230-1005-1983 That's the one I saw when I went to Michaels. I know you said not to use too much, but how many 16oz packages= 2 swords? XD Thanks again for your advice, and sorry about the never-ending questions! ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkirby View Post
@karuka: ahh I see :3 I've been cosplaying for about the same amount of time actually; this Halloween will mark my 5th year cosplaying. o.o wow that makes me sound old lmao! I find my sewing skills can be better though; I'm not the best seamstress out there ^^;. I love making props though, such as jewelry and plushies, so I feel those are my stronger talents. Oh and designing outfits <3.

Lol I'm surprised Green Pit isn't done enough, as most of the alternate outfits are actually. I also like Black and White Marth, but I play with his FE colors (more vibrant :3), which is the version I'm doing.

Best of luck with the blades ^^!
Yeah, most of my costumes have been mostly sewing so far. I'm not that great at it either (that machine HATES me), but I'm starting to need less and less help, which is a good sign. I really love making props too; the child in me loves to play with stuff and make up fun photo poses. Do you design your own outfits? I wish I had that kind of skill! I can't even give my original characters proper get-ups when I draw. XD;

I think my strongest skill cosplay-wise is my eye for detail. I study reference pictures like crazy and try to invent ways to make it look as accurate as possible even if the way I go about it is a little unorthodox. I figure if I aim for perfect, falling somewhere close is still going to look good. I've been pretty bad about fixing up my first-draft costumes, though. I usually get too excited about the next cosplay I want to do and neglect perfecting the ones I already have. I know I can make my others look better if I went back to put the time into it. I want it to be different for Pit, so that's why I'm here asking you lovely people for advice~ XD

Yeah, I've only ever seen white and black Pits at cons. I really want to see gold or blue Pit! Pink would be cool too. One of the things that kept me from cosplaying them was having to change my wing color, but if put enough time and money into it, I'm sure I could do it. I saw a white Marth at Anime Expo this year! The funniest one at the gathering (besides purple-nippled Captain Falcon) was Fabulous!Marth, complete with handbag and mirror. She was amazing. XD I want to play that Fire Emblem eventually. I just got through Path of Radiance, and now I'm disappointed that Brawl didn't include Ike's noble outfit. xP Oh well...

Thank you~! I'll do my best.

Last edited by karuka ikashi : 10-29-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Unread 10-29-2009, 02:06 AM   #5633
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Karuka, I think I remember you...I was the Samus co-organizing with the Jeff. xD
I'd personally LOVE to do one of Samus's alternate-colored Zero Suits...but one suit has been such a pain that I'd rather not ever work with spandex again, let alone build another one of these! XD
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #5634
karuka ikashi
The Green Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumiyo View Post
Karuka, I think I remember you...I was the Samus co-organizing with the Jeff. xD
I'd personally LOVE to do one of Samus's alternate-colored Zero Suits...but one suit has been such a pain that I'd rather not ever work with spandex again, let alone build another one of these! XD
Oh, that was you? Awesome! I was so excited to wear Pit for the first time to AX. I didn't get a chance to test-run him beforehand, though, so now I'm revamping him after learning what went wrong. XD; Jeff found me in the karaoke room the first night I tried it out and I got to pose with his Mr. Norris while my eyes were protesting the blue contacts. That was a fun gathering! I knew I'd like being around all those Brawl characters. ^^ So many photo ops...
That's too bad spandex is such a pain. I'd love to see more alternate colors at the next con!
Unread 10-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #5635
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@karuka: ahh yeah I got that brand; I saw another but it was more expensive for less of it O.o which I guess time will tell if I got a good buy in the end ^^;. Less means more???

Yeah, in the beginning I had more help from my mom, but I caught on pretty quick; borrowing good sewing books from library helps! I love designing my own outfits, whether it's for original characters or for other existing characters; my Sword Kirby outfit is one I designed myself ^^. My DeviantArt has the design of it. I aim to eventually do all of Kirby's abilities XDD! So far it's a select few, but knowing me I'll probably just want to go ahead and make all of them :3.

Oh man, I saw the pic of the Fabulous!Marth, even if it is out of character! She was awesome lmao! I also saw one of the White Marth, it was awesome! I still have to play their FE's honestly, though I did try to play FE1 and 3 (stupid English patches eventually were just garbage text O.o Awesome music tho for a Famicom game!). I have played some of the other FE's tho, they're fantastic!

Anyway, quickly getting a bit offtopic ^^;.

Speaking of Captain Falcon....@Shinkusenshi: BADASS! Captain Falcon needs more love! He needs to show his moves =O (oh puns lol)! I look forward to seeing pics of it!
Unread 10-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #5636
karuka ikashi
The Green Pit

@snowkirby: Michael's is my new favorite store since I found out that they often have 40-50% off coupons floating around the internet. They let you use it for the most expensive item you're buying too! I got a huge tub of model magic for $10 instead of 20. I wish they sold paperclay in larger quantities. I don't have a lot of money to blow on these swords right away, but I'm hitting Yaoi Con this weekend just for a little bit, so I'm hoping I can find a temporary fix to make them look presentable.

I checked out your DA, btw. Awesome designs! I especially like the Pokemon ones. The Sword Kirby one is great too. I'd love to see the costume when it's done! XD I think I'll take your hint about checking out the library for sewing books. I usually don't have the attention span for reading those kind of things, but maybe cosplay will motivate me.

Radiant Dawn was a lot of fun! I was playing through a battle every night and just loved the characters and how the story developed. The music was awesome too! It was really interesting to see Ike's whole background after only knowing him from Brawl. I'd love to cosplay Ike or Ranulf someday, but I don't know when I'd get the chance.

Anyway, general question for everyone: What do you think about rigid wrap? Have you used it before, and if yes, what is it good for? Can you use it for weapons or is it better suited to other props? I just got a package of it, hoping it would help me with Pit's repairs somehow, but I'm still kinda clueless... XD;
Unread 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #5637
makeshiftwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuka ikashi View Post
Oh, I see (literally)! Thanks for the pic! Yeah, I can see why your method is better for connecting them, especially since it makes the middle the length it should be. I guess I'd just have to find PVC pipe and wooden dowels close enough in size that one doesn't slide out of the other too easily (I'd love to be able to do the spinning bow attack, but I know that's stretching it :P). I've been looking for PVC pipe at Home Depot lately and the kind that I used for another costume disappeared. D: I wonder if I'm just looking in the wrong place. Is this the kind of paperclay you use? http://www.dickblick.com/products/cr...3230-1005-1983 That's the one I saw when I went to Michaels. I know you said not to use too much, but how many 16oz packages= 2 swords? XD Thanks again for your advice, and sorry about the never-ending questions! ^^;
Np at all for the questions!
LOL yeah I'd like to be able to do that move but that would require some kind of locking mechanism which I am just not creative enough to come up with.
For the PVC pipe just buy a really plain white PVC pipe with no ridges or anything. You might have to buy a really long one and saw it down, like what you do with a wooden dowel. Find the right size PVC pipe and then go to the wooden dowel area and just start fitting them in the PVC pipe until you find the one that goes in just right.
And yes, that's the kind of paperclay I use :3 I honestly don't remember how many packages I used but I'd say it'd be no more than 3 if you're making it really thin and covering both blades and the hand guard thing. I buy my paperclay in bulk from paperclay.com because you get it half off, but you have to buy $50 worth. But it's worth it, I use it for nearly all my cosplays.
AFO - Possessed Wander (Friday); Earth Kingdom Toph with Fire Nation Cloak (Saturday & Sunday)
Dragon*con - Toph Bei Fong (Sunday)

Planned Cosplays

Okami Amaterasu (Planning) [Completion Date: ???]
makeshiftwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #5638
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

Lol honestly I've been scared of getting the model magic in bulk (I've been using that a lot lately as well; great for jewelry and small things!), since it airdries, and I'm super peevy on things like that where if they aren't stored super carefully they'll get ruined =X. What do you guys think though??

Aww thank you, Karuka ^^! For some reason designing them comes easier than actually making the cosplays XD but I also love fabric shopping. Kekeke *.* I can spend hours in JoAnn's.

And yes, libraries have awesome stuff! (Says the girl who works in one) (Me: Shhhh XD) I think there's a thread in one of the more generic cosplay forums (I think for General Costume Help) that has good books to look out for, though the ones I have used aren't on that list actually and they've helped me tons. If you need any help with sewing, getting design ideas down, etc, feel free to ask ^^!

Speaking of FE backgrounds, even though the Fire Emblem OVA is..um..bad XD, it really gives you some great insight on Marth's character. So I say nay to the naysayers who think he's a girl or a girlyman, b/c that guy fights likes a beast O.o Total badass!
Unread 10-30-2009, 01:23 AM   #5639
Rikkizilla

Oh goodness it's been forever since I've been on these forums!

Might cosplay Lucas again someday (content, lol).

Katsumiyo, I am loving your Zero Suit Samus so far!
Hsien-ko - Darkstalkers
Rikkizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #5640
Luther
A wild LUTHER appeared!

Yeeaaah I found a plastic fishbowl I can use for the FLUDD! That was the part tripping me up because it's the only part I can't make out of cardboard and/or paper mache lol! It's a little smaller than I'd like but close enough.

Welcome newcomer Smashers! :B Good luck with your costumes! Karuka, your green Pit is win!

Also I got my hands on all the models of playable Brawl characters. Every single one! If you want reference pictures of someone, ask me! :^D

P.S. I'm walking now and it's awesome! ^.^ Still working on building back my strength and flexibility.