Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #31
witty username

Would a swimming cap work just as well as the pany hose?
witty username is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2006, 01:45 AM   #32
yayahan
YayaHan.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty username
Would a swimming cap work just as well as the pany hose?
A swimming cap is not as breathable as a wig cap and you definitely want to be as comfortable under a wig as possible. I would stick with the wig cap!
Unread 05-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #33
hitension

Hello, I need some help... :(
I tried to make a wig cap in this fashion and the stocking was not big enough for my head. My head is not abnormally large (I hope not? x.x;;) but it's nowhere near fitting on me.
Is there something I'm doing wrong ? @.@;;;
Unread 05-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #34
Katasha
Fan-Freaking-Tastic

I have had that prob a few times as well. but I have a smaller head. there are 2 ways I fixed it. One I got the cheepest wig cap I could get, I got a pack of 10 pairs at walmarl for like $5 nice and cheep so they strech alot.

Or simply find stockings for larger wemon. Sometimes they are called size D or some such. But you can find kneehigh stockings in diffrent sizes if you look hard. and really strech it out when you first get it, works best for me.
Unread 05-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #35
hitension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katasha
I have had that prob a few times as well. but I have a smaller head. there are 2 ways I fixed it. One I got the cheepest wig cap I could get, I got a pack of 10 pairs at walmarl for like $5 nice and cheep so they strech alot.

Or simply find stockings for larger wemon. Sometimes they are called size D or some such. But you can find kneehigh stockings in diffrent sizes if you look hard. and really strech it out when you first get it, works best for me.
Okay thanks so much ^_^ I think I'll go to wal-mart then and get both and try both XD!
Unread 05-08-2006, 04:58 AM   #36
Minamino Haruka
Diwata ng Kasayahan

How do you do this if you're putting on a wig that's lighter in colour than your regular hair colour, which also happens to be short? I bought myself a
light-coloured wig so that I can cosplay Sailor Mercury of PGSM, since I'm a natural brunette. My hair's length is actually as long as the wig's, too. Thanks heaps!

Sorry if I'm not much on the pictures, my camphone doesn't have space. Besides, I'm going to try to steal my mother's digicam later so I can take more and better pictures.

Last edited by Minamino Haruka : 05-08-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Minamino Haruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #37
hitension

I went to Wal-Mart and could not find a wig cap there, even asking :/
So I have a hairnet instead now (like.. the thing lunch ladies use. lol) And it works somewhat but not as much as a wig cap seems to be. (pics in the gallery)

Er, this is awkward, but would a do-rag work? o_o I don't really know much about them but they look like something similar. Has anybody here tried it?
Unread 05-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #38
Katasha
Fan-Freaking-Tastic

Oh no no no wal-mart doesnt have wig caps, thats where I get my knee High Nylons that I use too make wigcaps. I started doing that because there was no place in my city too get wig caps, so I just started making them out of Knee high stockings. I find the cheepest kind I can ( mine some in a bright pink box and theres like 10 pairs for $4) and then I just cut them too shape like shown in the tutorial.
Unread 05-16-2006, 03:43 AM   #39
SkippingSith
FOR GONDOR!

I've actually found (especially for people with thick layered hair) that pinning your hair up into five loose pincurls--basically small loose buns with two bobby pins to hold it in place (two at the front sides of your head, two closer to the back, and the remainining hair in one at the base of your neck) works really well, and provides a smoother surface under the wig cap. That way you have places for bobby pins to catch in at different points when pinning the wig on.

Great tutorial, though; exceptionally helpful for my friend's wig-putting on (she has long, fine hair and pincurls don't work as well in her hair XD)!
SkippingSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2006, 05:03 AM   #40
Prysm
Merfed

I've got a long wig that's fairly heavy, and at the last con I went to, it kept slipping and pretty well ruined the costume :/
My question is, how do I use hair/bobby pins to pin my wig in place? Do I go through the mesh of my wig, and through the wig cap? I'm a total n00b at wearing wigs, so any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Really spell it out for me please ^^'
Prysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #41
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

great tutorial! my con is next weekend, and I was ADHD enough to forget to get a wig cap ^^; now I have one! yay!
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2006, 10:23 PM   #42
AquaHaute

I am a girl with waist-length hair, and I want to cosplay Solid Snake. How do I put hairpins in such short hair without them showing? For that matter, will a short wig really hide all my hair sufficiently - and will the men's wigs on Cosworx fit a woman's head, or am I better off with a very short-haired women's wig (more of a mullet!Snake rather than clean-cut!Snake)?
Anime Central 2005: Female Oracle, Final Fantasy Tactics
Anime Central 2006: Sniper Wolf, Metal Gear Solid, Female Oracle FF Tactics
Youmacon 2006: Sniper Wolf, MGS1
Youmacon 2007: Femal Oracle, FF Tactics

Future cosplay ideas: The Sorrow, The Boss (both outfits), Female Summoner (FFT), Shuji and Chise (Saikano), Chell (Portal)
AquaHaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #43
ChicoChan
Pimp Named Slickback

I know alot of people who shave the bottom parts of their hair near the nap of the neck so they won't poke out of wigs. I'm bad but I can't be that hardcore ^^ I like my hair hehe

DON'T PANIC.

Queen Riot! on FacebookDeviantArtCureACParadiseTumblr
ChicoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #44
chicagochic
wiggingout

Talking

Thanks for the info. FYI, this website I always use for wigs has wig caps for very cheap - www.bhowigs.com - they also have great wigs for reasonable prices and they feature all the hottest manufacturers - look at Forever Young - they totally rock.
chicagochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 02:43 AM   #45
BebopCola2021
Roller of the Katamari

I haven't been on the forums in a looooooooong time. This tutorial is really really helpful!! I have long thick hair, and I didn't know to use a wig cap when I did my first cosplays (you can see my awful wig use in my gallery). I learn so much from the forums...I need to check here more often, tee hee.
BebopCola2021 is offline   Reply With Quote