Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 07-09-2006, 06:23 AM   #46
siead_lietrathu
Androgyny

heh. here is an odd question. because of other cosplays (and just the way i am) my hair will only be about an inch long. will i have to deal with slipping wigs or is there a way i can secure it (and, no, i am not willing to use ducttape)
siead_lietrathu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #47
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

A wig cap helps wigs stick to your head better. I've also heard of people using spirit gum to help wigs stick to their head; your milage may vary.
Unread 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #48
Winter Divinity
夢は永遠に反響する

I have very very long hair, but I have no idea how to use hair pins to keep my wig on. I just can't figure them out.
Winter Divinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #49
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

First put your hair up securely; I like to put my hair in two or three braids, coil the braids flat to my head and and then pin them in place. This provides a good anchor for the wig. I like to use a fishnet-type of wig cap so the pins can go through it. Once the wig is, use hairpins along the edges wherever you can, securing the wig to your hair underneath.

Here's how to use hairpins: unlike bobbypins, which only work when they can close completely and hold small pieces of hair flat, hairpins are shaped like a "U" or "V" and work using opposing forces.

To secure a hairstyle, you insert the hairpin into the edge of your braid/bun/whatever, with the pin pointing straight towards your head, then when the tips of the pin touch your scalp you 'scoop' upwards, catching some scalp hair with the pin. Then you finish inserting the pin so it's lying flat to your head (aim the tips upwards a little bit for more security). Because it's being held in place by some of the scalp hair as well as the braid/bun hair, the pin can't move, and in turn it keeps the hairstyle secure.

It works the same way to secure a wig; you insert the pin through the wig into your hair underneath, then scoop upwards and finish with the pin flat against your head.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #50
Mejin Rairi
HPP Elder

I've only worn one wig. Since my hair is shoulder-length, I just pinned it up and put the wig over that, it worked rather well...
Kanone Hilbert from Spiral, Sac-Con June 10

In Progress:
Akito Sohma from Furuba

All power to the HPP!!
Gaiaonline username: Mejin Rairi (pm me)
Mejin Rairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #51
Kayoshin
Life and human feelings

Thanks! Very useful!
Kayoshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #52
Seraphy
Nagare~

I was just wondering about wig caps. Wig caps come in all sorts of colors, but is there any you're suggested to use? Like if you have black hair, use a black wig cap, etc.

I'd go with the stocking technique from the first post, but I highly doubt my mom would let me use one of hers (if she even has one).
Seraphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #53
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I like the fishnet-type wig caps because you can pin through them easily to secure the wig to your hair.

4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

Unread 08-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #54
Seraphy
Nagare~

Well, I'm planning on buying everything from one site. Like wig, accessories, wighead and all from CosWorx. So I just wanted to know if it made a difference the color of a wigcap.
Seraphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #55
kabuki_KILLER
Sewing like a spider

I have a question about how much will fit under wigs. I'm planning to get the dread/braids like a lot of African americans have. I want the fine kind, not huge ones. Will that still fit under wigs or is it too bulky?
Unread 08-13-2006, 06:36 AM   #56
strawz

I did this yesterday and it worked perfectly XD
thankyou <3
strawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #57
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

Oooh this will help me a lot. Every time I put on my Jack wig it is a mess! I also need to make a dark cap because its either spend 5 bucks for panti hose to make a cap, or spend 60 bucks to die my hair black. But this looks a lot easier then I thought it was.

I think I may buy some dreads to add to my wig too.

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
sweet_kat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #58
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Kabuki_Killer: I have knee-length hair and can still fit it under wigs, but just barely, and I have to coil and pin it pretty tightly. Fine braids may make it easier, but you probably will be limited in the kinds of wigs you'll be able to wear. Poofy haired wigs will be more forgiving, but anything smooth or straight (especially short and straight) will run the risk of weird lumps showing through the wig, or the mesh showing. You may need to modify wigs to deal with that if it's a problem.

Seraphy: Different coloured caps do help a bit, but if you have hair a very different colour from the wig's and there is a risk of the mesh showing, you may want to put a panel of matching spandex into the inside back of the wig. The reason is that wig caps are made of pantyhose material, which becomes almost transparent when it stretches over your head, so the colour matching isn't very effective when trying to disguise, say, really dark hair with a light wig, or vice versa.

Unread 09-07-2006, 06:35 PM   #59
Selene6235
Bite me.

Thanks a lot! This is the first year I've worn a wig because I could just style my hair for the others and this really helped me. Without this I probably would have gone out and bought a really expensive wig cap when you can get the same effect with knee-highs! Who knew??

Rawr! Fear my non-existant tan lines!!!
Selene6235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #60
Kaniki

This tutorial tis teh awesomeness! I am new to cosplaying and I only have one wig {And it's shoulder length - My hair is mid-back}, and I couldn't figure out how to keep my hair up! >.< But this has helped a LOT! My sisters couldn't even tell I had the 'wig cap' on! ^_^

Thank you very, very much! =D