Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > CLAMP Series

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
Ise

Clover - progress leads to more questions Xx;

Alrighty.. I get the feeling this belongs in here rather than in general help by now. If I'm wrong, please forgive me and move this if necessary <3

This is my second thread, but I have different questions than in the first @_@; I'm sort of going to use this as my progress place, because the further I move and the more answers I get, the more questions I seem to come up with ^^;

I'm going to be cosplaying Suu from CLAMP's manga, Clover to Otakon 2006 for the second time, however I am making an entirely different costume.

Rather than one of the simple ones from inside the manga that most don't recognize, I'm going with this illustration dress that I haven't seen anyone else attempt: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/clovbbb1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._costume_2.jpg (my rough sketch of it, please feel free to make any corrections or things that I got wrong if you like, I know the boning places are off, though)

I've already got a set of wings to use - er, I take that back. There is a second set in construction right now rather because the first set was totalled by my little brother and sister.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/DSC00199.jpg

The new ones will look the same as those above, but be made with different types of plastics to make them lighter and will have a new harness that will be hidden this time, though that is a question of mine for any ideas. So far there may be two 3/4" rods going down either side of my spine and a piece going around my torso to keep them in place, or so I've currently been told. I didn't quite understand without seeing, but I should hopefully have the reference soon.

So far I know that the bodice will be very heavily boned to keep upright, potentially like a metal cage fitted to my torso and covered with cloth (I'm not a seamstress and I'm not the one sewing this, so I'm sorry for my ignorance @_@; ). The skirts will requie a petticoat, I know it needs a sturdy and non-shiny fabric to keep the folds and such.

But my questions now pertain more to the detailing. The gold pieces along the edging of her sleeves and bodice look like they are made out of metal, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with that? I'm not sure using a fabric would look ok, I really don't want it to look tacky.

Then there's the matter of the button-like pieces that look like chicago screws. I'm thinking of potentially grinding off some of them and leaving just the head for it. Any other ideas?

Also..we all know I can't go walking around Baltimore barefoot Xx; Does anyone have any suggestions on shoes for this costume? Suu normally wears boots, but I think they would probably look bad with this costume. I'm tempted to pull something like ballet shoes, but I don't think that the pointe shoes are meant to be walked normally in, and those are the look I'd aim at from a ballet shoe.

*note* Questions I come up with will continually be added here, please help me out and check back every so often? =3
Ise is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
AnimefestChii

I hope I can be of some help ^-^

As far as a petticoat, I would suggest just lining the pieces of the skirt and sewing tulle in between the lining and the top layer, otherwise the petticoat would show somewhere I'm afraid. That's what I did for my freya dress and it worked great! the shape held up wonderfully ^-^

Honestly, for the sleeve edges, I would make gold pipings to sew on, and then slide wire through them, I've seen several cosplayers and more professional seamstresses use this technique and it looks wonderful! You'd just have to make sure you got a nice looking gold fabric, or you could always get fabric medium and gold paint if you wanted to paint them all yourself after you put them on so they look more like metal?

I don't know what to tell you about the screws honestly . . scupley and paper clay are always useful for re creating parts like that *shrug* if you could get giant screws though that would certainly be awesome ^.^

Good luck! I can't wait to see it finished!
AnimefestChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

To get the skirt full, I don't think you need a petticoat. My trick for getting skirts that big without a petticoat is to line it in taffeta. (Tulle drives me nuts and I refuse to work with it!) If you sew horsehair braid to the hem that will make it stick out further. To me, it looks like you need a bustle more than a petticoat ^^;;.

I second using something light like Paperclay to make the screws. Using actual metal screws could weigh down your dress in all the wrong places.

I also think that you should make custom gold piping for the trim. (Some people on this board suggested that to me on my old Suu costume, but I never got around to it.) If you want something that will look really metallic, go for gold PVC vinyl or even gold tricot lame.

I think your wings are gorgeous, btw . I love seeing other people who made their wings out of plastic!

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Ise

AnimefestChii: Yes, so far pretty much everyone has suggested a petticoat and that's what the seamstress I'm going to be working with is thinking. I know she probably has many ways to deal with it (she's been sewing for 30+ years, so I trust her XD; ), but I'll definitely take that idea to her =3 She rather appreciates all the things I take from you guys to think on.

As for the sleeves, that's what I wasn't sure on. I figured that the smaller lines of detailing would definitely be piping, but was unaware until now that piping could be so large as the outer rim oO Thank you.

It's really the metal part that I'm concerned with, though. I really don't want it to look like fabric. A lot of the gold pieces do look like metal, and to me it almost seems like they are part of the wing harness that isn't showing ^^ That's my intent.

As for the screws, I can get them. They were used in my original set of wings to hold the feathers in place ^^; I didn't think they came so large.

I'll be sure to keep updated, though I won't be able to work much until March or May since I go back to school Xx;

Tenshi: @_@; I deathly hate tulle, it's so uncomfortable and itchy! I'm going to be hot enough in such a heavy fabric, plus the heat of summer in the Baltimore Inner Harbor and all. Fwee.. (so true, a comment I heard. If you want the cosplay to come out as close to perfect as you can get, you have to suffer the discomforts. If you want it comfortable, in most cases you compromise on how close you get).

As for the bustle idea.. I have no idea how that'd work, there really isn't a place that it looks like it would have one. I can understand the general suggestion for the petticoat (though I don't plan on having the skirts quite as full as in the original illustration, I have a thing against ballerina poofed skirts XD; A little is ok, but not huge amounts. Not to mention, it's hard enough moving with the wings). I'll ask Kai about it when I see her next.

Paperclay..I wonder if that'd actually be heavier, honestly. The chicago screws really aren't all that heavy, and if I do as I'm pondering and grind away the actual screw portion than it will weigh next to nothing. I'll think about that, though =3

I've gotten a lot of nudges to do piping :nods: I'd have to agree it'd look much more professional than using a glitzy bias tape or trim, it's almost a definite that's where I'll go with it.

Ooh, thank you for the fabric ideas, I will write those down to take with me next time I see her =3 We're supposed to buy the fabrics then.

Ah, my poor babies ;3;' I love those wings to death and they are positively mangled. But a second set is in the works and hopefully shall come out lighter this time with a hidden harness <3 They took forever to construct and cost so bloody much Xx; Worried about that cost this time, ee... ah well. XD;

Thank you both for the ideas =3
Unread 01-11-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
Hilary
mmm... androgyny

They sell liquid gold spandex that looks amazingly like real metal that I'd make the trim with. Stretchhouse.com sends samples direct and is great!
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

Well, I have two things to say to you.

One, great job with those wings! Very impressive!

And two, good luck wearing them comfortably. I dressed as Oruha and the harness attached to my wings were painful and left marks in my back. Then they broke. But yours look much more comfortable and sturdy, so congrats on that and good luck!
Unread 01-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
Ise

Hilary: Thank you for the tip, I'll take a look at it =3

kuko-chan: Thank you, those were my pride and joy <3

And ahaha.. they were a little heavy, but the way the harness was constructed they only pulled me back a little bit/ Enough to make me slouch some, though ><;

There was some discomfort, but the only real place I felt it was in the neck at the start because I'd forgotten to pad the collar so it didn't choke me XD; I made a make-shift padding mid first day. I did get a couple of small scrapes on my back that I didn't even feel until my friend pointed it out. Some kind woman in AA made a little padding and sewed it on for me there, too <3

The new set should be lighter, but I'll see what happens with the new harness =3
Unread 01-22-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
Ise

Merf, I still can't figure out what shoes to do for this @_@;
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
AnimefestChii

Have you considered those flat white ballet type shoes you can buy for like $2 at wal mart? I think those would work great for several reasons
1. They're cheap, so if you hurt them, or want to experiment dying them, it's no problem.
2. They're comfy
3. They don't stick out. They're not big or protruding at all.

Good luck!
Unread 01-24-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Ise

I actually wore those last year. They aren't as comfortable as they seem =/ Not to mention, only children's come in white Xx; I tried painting them, but it rubs off very easily.
Unread 01-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
AnimefestChii

you would actually have to dye them . . but if they come in black I could see how that wouldn't work. So if it came down to being your last resort, you could buy a darker pair and bleach them, it's worth a shot I guess ^^;

Can't wait to see the shoes pick out!
Unread 03-19-2006, 01:34 AM   #12
Ise

Wow, it's been forever since I posted here. Being at school prevents me from doing anything cosplay related ._.; At home on spring break and within the next week I'll be going out to find my fabrics X3

..still nothing on shoes. Anyone got any ideas for me? @_@;
Unread 03-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
Dia
time for silver jets

Back a million years ago when I did my Suu costume, I actually converted a pair of black hiking boots into white Suu boots. I basically glued a bunch of white uphlostery vinyl with gold piping in the seams to the boots, added a false front to cover the laces, and gold straps over that, as well as built up the top to add the little buckle cuff. Getting the vinyl to stick to the vinyl of the boots was a little tough, but it helps to sand the boot and score it first - gives the glue more of a surface to grab on to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suu4.jpg (15.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg suu5.jpg (12.8 KB, 0 views)
Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #14
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Wow Dia! That's a really good idea for the fronts of the boots! I'd wished I'd discovered that idea before making the toecaps to my Rosette boots! ^_^

As for shoe suggestions...well..um..I'm not that familiar with the character but I think a pair of those pretty beaded slippers would look nice with the dress. I've seen pairs that come in both metallic gold and silver that would look pretty! ^^ And I've seen some that actually have support to them too! You can find them in department stores like Kohls,Macy's and places like that.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
Ise

Dia: Aha, now I see the close up of those X3 That's a possibility, so long as I have some support.

Only dilemma is I wonder if those really go with the dress. Then again, Suu always wears the boots @_X;

Miyabi: Thank you ^^ I should look those up. Support is a big issue atm since the injured foor from last year is, well, still injured >_>; Podiatrist is gonna chase my butt back to physical therapy, so I'm going to have to OK things with them, too, depending on how far the progress goes.