Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.78 average.
Unread 01-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
AnnAnime

Recommendations & Warnings for Costume Commissioners + Shops

EDIT: If you are looking for a review of a certain commissioner, PLEASE scroll to the bottom of this thread and use the "search" field in the bottom right corner! You are likely to find dozens of reviews. Thanks! -Jia, Administrator

I was looking online today and happen to come accross a site I have been looking for, for a long time. There is a website below that belongs to someone who will scam you... I have heard alot of bad Experiences with this person.

Here is their site: ( do not get them to make a costume!)

The Cosplay Shop

There are sites that have proof about bad experiences with this person.

here is one that was made a while back but made me look for the site for a long time. people were still getting ripped off too.

The Cosplay Shop Scam

Here is also another one that gives you a testimate from someone who was scammed and the person's Ebay seller name.

Lion Heart's Cosplay: Cosplay Scams

If you want to see the profile of the person on Ebay look here but DO NOT BUY!!

Ebay seller: garylo2000

Notice that all the good feedback is from stuff they bought and bad from what they sold. If anyone knows this person's new Ebay name please contact me. Funny how they are no longer a member since they scammed people.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by Jia Jem : 07-04-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: helpful tricks
AnnAnime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
UrMastrInuYasha
Baka

Thank for the post! do not want to get scammed.... >.<

UrMastrInuYasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Mew_Pudding
Tits.

Ack! Evil people!! ><!
Mew_Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
Kaiyn
Veteran FF fan

You also forgot Dark Dragonfly, AnnAnime

Cosplay Costumes
-none at the moment-

Planned Costumes
Sora -Valor Form- (KH2)
Dante (DMC)
-more to come-
Kaiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
AnnAnime

i personally do not know much about her so I personally cannot post about her.

However right now I am trying to track the person I posted about. The last time they ripped someone off was not long ago so I intend to find them.

Anyone is free to post about any scam artists in here though. I post those I know alot about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyn
You also forgot Dark Dragonfly, AnnAnime
Unread 01-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Feral

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from someone whose site (if you could call it that) is hosted by Geocities. First of all, it means they're not paying anything for the service, when means they're probably not a legit business. And secondly, they're scamming Geocities by violating their user policy, so why wouldn't they scam me as well?
Unread 01-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
AnnAnime

Just because they have a free site does not mean they are not legit. I have a free site but I'm not ripping people off though. Also on my service you are allowed to sell things on your site using the free service. It just depends on their privacy policy, not all services are the same.

I have MANY customers that would tell you I am legit.
Unread 01-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral
Personally I wouldn't buy anything from someone whose site (if you could call it that) is hosted by Geocities. First of all, it means they're not paying anything for the service, when means they're probably not a legit business. And secondly, they're scamming Geocities by violating their user policy, so why wouldn't they scam me as well?
This depends on how the site is conducted. If it has clear policies spelled out on the site and easy for visitors to see, the site may be legit.

It doesn't matter if it's Geocities or not. Some sites have their own domain names and have been accused of scamming people.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

Hmmm so you are saying Feral is that anyone on geocities or any other free service is not legit? I won't lie and say that did not offend me becuase I am mildly

I have to agree with Eriol and Ann though. Just becuase a commissioner uses a free webhosting service does not mean that they are scam artists. Honestly at this point in my career I cannot afford paid hosting so I have to rely on free services like Freewebs etc.

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
ShinWHO
Welcome to Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnAnime
If anyone knows this person's new Ebay name please contact me. Funny how they are no longer a member since they scammed people.
I know exactly who you are talking about. I have a huge collection of costumes from Japanese shops (COSPA, COSMODE, MANDARAKE, etc.), Yahoo Auctions Japan and eBay, and unfortunately dealt with this person more than once. First, as w2kwong, which is still registered with relatively good feedback. I gave neutral feedback because I actually got a pretty good costume, just had to put up with ridiculous BS with shipping. Person showed up as Wai Wai Kwong on Paypal, but item was sent by Gary Lo. Plus it wasn't the same item as in the pictures. Then, as cchan2005 (Carmen Chan), who I tried to get 2 costumes from and showed up on Paypal as Simon Lo. One I never got and the other was delivered from someone named Iris Chan unfinished with missing accessories I paid for. As soon as I left 2 negative feedbacks and asked if they knew who w2kwong was, they were immediately no longer registered on eBay. This person is also responsible for the aweful cosplayaustralia website and has used the e-mail address gm@cosplayaustralia.com among many others that I still have records of. I was seriously considering going after them for fraud at one point.
ShinWHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:05 AM   #11
Kaiyn
Veteran FF fan

All i know is that Dark Dragonfly has scammed a good amount of people on here as well, but she`s never been taken to court about all the people she scammed

Cosplay Costumes
-none at the moment-

Planned Costumes
Sora -Valor Form- (KH2)
Dante (DMC)
-more to come-
Kaiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #12
Feral

I'm just saying that, it is my understanding, you cannot use Geocities to sell things. It's free hosting for personal me-me or hobby sites, and the company offers other hosting packages allowed for selling, which usually cost a monthly fee. When you sign up for the free service, you agree that you will not use it to create a commercial site... to do otherwise is to scam Geocities. So if you really want to get rid of the scammer, just send them a tip :P

And I should also reiterate, I didn't mean that just because someone uses a free site they're a scammer, but I guess it came out wrong. What I meant to say is that not a lot of people pay money to steal money (sans maybe professional phishers and the like), and those who have made an investment are more likely to be taking to be taking their business seriously. I feel much more comfortable sending money to a professional looking site (for any type of product) than one that is cluttered with popups and advertisement banners because they're using a free service like Geocities, which is the only host in question here. So no need to chew me out. Those are just things I look for as a consumer.

I seem to have taken this off-topic, so I won't respond again, but thanks for warning us, Ann.
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #13
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral
I'd have to agree with her on this one. Not that free-service servers means you're a scammer, but Geocities just doesn't look professional, period.

I had a site on Geocities (my first one, mind you) and they are not the type you'd want to host a professional online commission site with. No offense, but Geocities is for amatures who can't be bothered with designing their own layouts. Geocities comes with preset layouts and a choppy cut and paste interfacing that looks like one made their site with Microsoft Word. (ducks behind chair) Don't flame me, but that's my personal opinion based on my experience with Geocities.
Unread 01-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #14
Sakura
Original Sakura

I agree about Geocities. It was a geocities commission site that screwed me out of $100 for a Chii wig >_< what they did was take TONS of commissions and then before it could get out that no one was getting their stuff and they were scammers, they pretty much closed down the site and stopped updating it. I don't remember the site anymore because it's been like 4 years but I've got the chick's address somewhere in my house. She's lucky I was unable to get places back then... I'd have taken my money back in person.
Unread 01-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyn
All i know is that Dark Dragonfly has scammed a good amount of people on here as well, but she`s never been taken to court about all the people she scammed
There are many things that hinder attempts at prosecuting scammers.

1) Limited or lack of information on the person. For example, many transactions go through Paypal. Most times, a person sees only a name. Without knowing where the person lives, it is difficult to prosecute. Paypal isn't going to divulge personal information unless there is a court order.

2) Time and money to chase people down. Lawyer fees cost quite a bit. Even if a person goes through small claims court as an alternative to an attorney, that person needs to spend time to understand the process, show up at the court house, and pay filing fees.

3) Paypal's statute of limitations for complaints. Paypal has a limited time period for people to submit a complaint, so they can investigate. Many scams are reported after this statute of limitations has long passed. After this expiration, Paypal has no obligation to investigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuko-chan
I'd have to agree with her on this one. Not that free-service servers means you're a scammer, but Geocities just doesn't look professional, period.
Please keep in mind that Geocities does offer low-cost hosting services, without necessarily using a domain name. (Paid Geocities hosting does not have ads though, and you can pay extra for a domain name.)

Sometimes, it is not as simple as it seems.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 01-12-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote