Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 08-19-2015, 01:21 AM   #1
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

Need advice! Commissioner wont finish wig?

March of this year, I messaged a wig commissioner via facebook about a wig I wanted done. This person had excellent wigs and was recommended to me by a well known cosplayer. They had great reviews, an excellent portfolio, and was willing to work on a payment plan for me since the wig was $150 before shipping.

I made the first payment at the wig shortly after we agreed on a payment plan [beginning of March], which would cover the materials. The 2nd payment was made at the end of March. I knew I was a few slots down, but this person was updating her page every other day with wigs. So I had hoped she would start mine soon.

This wig was for my absolute, all time, dream cosplay. I wanted to find the right person for this wig because the characters hair is his focal point. It had to be amazing. So of course, I was impatient because I wanted to see how amazing the wig would be. Well, the dead line was May 27th. The wig had to be in my possession on the 27th for a con I was leaving for the following day. Well, 2 weeks before the con, plans fell apart and I decided not to go to the con. So I told the commissioner the deadline was extended to end of July for Otakon.

Well, when I sent her the message, she mentioned she hadn't started my wig because of college graduation. Well okay. Life happens, finals and graduations are important. But I was upset that she didn't even mention this. Had I still expected my wig for May 27th, I wouldn't have gotten it and my main cosplay would have been put on hold for another con. That was the first red flag.

Well, Otakon became too expensive so I decided not to go. Messaged my commissioner that my deadline has now been to an unknown date, but the sooner the better. She said okay. Around this time, she completely stopped updating her facebook page other than saying commissions have been permanently closed. That kinda worried me. Why did she suddenly stop commissions? Well, 4 weeks passed, no word. I sent a few messages asking for progress with no responses. 2nd red flag. When she finally DID respond to me, it was just excuses. 3rd red flag.

Finally, on July 29th, I got a progress pic. I knew it was my wig, because it was the correct color, but it looked like 10 minutes of work of just teasing. She claimed it was because she was "testing" things to figure out how to do my wig. I asked some friends on their opinion and said that she probably only did that to give me a pic to shut me up. And I agreed. So now all my red flags are going off.

Now, almost a month later, no other update. I sent a message yesterday asking for more progress and no response.

What should I do? I know I'm being too lenient about it, with not pressing for the wig or giving a deadline, but I feel that even if I did give a deadline, she wouldn't meet it. I really do still want to receive this wig from her because her portfolio is AMAZING but I'm afraid I may have lost $150 for a teased piece of crap.

This is the first time I commissioned someone and I really hope this doesn't turn into a horror story....

New Cosplays Planned:
Kuroo Tetsurou ; Haikyuu
Vegeta ; DBZ
Ryouma ; Love Stage

Judar ; Magi
Noiz ; DRAMAtical Murder
Ouja Akuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
WeskerFanGirl

I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds very worrying. May I ask who the wig commissioner is?

If you commissioned them in March then your time to file a claim with paypal is nearing it's end.
Unread 08-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
xIkuna

I would also like to know the person!

I would shoot them a message saying that you're filing a claim, then file it. She can either finish the wig or she can get your money back and you can get your money back. Don't waste anytime, $150 is a lot!

Cosplays:
Scarlet Witch- Avengers: Age of Ultron
Laurel Lance (Black Canary)- Arrow

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

I cant file a claim because paypal has extensive rules over split payments. My only option would be to file with my bank account since it was directly pulled from there instead of a Paypal balance.

And it's Red-Clustered Wigs on Facebook.

New Cosplays Planned:
Kuroo Tetsurou ; Haikyuu
Vegeta ; DBZ
Ryouma ; Love Stage

Judar ; Magi
Noiz ; DRAMAtical Murder
Unread 08-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

You need to call your bank. Soon.

The fact that she "suddenly" decided to just stop taking commissions while holding on to yours and not feeling the need to tell you that things had changed...That's not good no matter how you look at it.

I hate that this has happened to you, I really do.
I want to be very hopeful that you will get something but for now, you need to call your bank to see what they can do about getting you your money back.

The biggest red flag for you should have been the fact that she came out of nowhere with commissions permanently being closed while hardly hearing from her and then getting a picture of a wig with little to no real work done to it.
Call your bank A.S.A.P. and keep us updated!

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou - 20% Complete! Outfit is done!♥
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou - In the designing phase!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Worn to Animazement 2015!

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
*Animazement - 2015

Last edited by Milky Bubbles : 08-19-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Get your refund now. NOW. Don't wait. You're not getting that wig. Listen to your red flags.

No matter how amazing a portfolio, if someone is still "testing" methods almost six months after agreeing to it, that's not a good sign.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #7
AngelicLuka
Cosplayer

Red-cluster wigs has a few negative feedback on Facebook cosplay commission reviews
AngelicLuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicLuka View Post
Red-cluster wigs has a few negative feedback on Facebook cosplay commission reviews
We certainly know why, now.

Ouja, please keep us updated with this situation, I hope everything works out and you get your money back. ; ;

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Worn to Animazement 2015!

*Animazement - 2015

Unread 08-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

I was recommended their page from Yuurisans Cosplay and knew a few people who had friends get fantastic wigs from her so I thought this was going to be decent, especially since she works for Arda. :/ Ugh.

Still no response. I'll give her one more day before I threaten action and I'll look into calling my bank about a possible dispute.

New Cosplays Planned:
Kuroo Tetsurou ; Haikyuu
Vegeta ; DBZ
Ryouma ; Love Stage

Judar ; Magi
Noiz ; DRAMAtical Murder
Unread 08-21-2015, 02:29 AM   #10
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

Update: I have sent her the following message detailing my exact issues.

Quote:
Hello.
This is going to be a not-so-fun message but I feel that my no deadline is being taking advantage of. I understand you are busy with life, as a fellow cosplayer who does commissions, I can understand life gets in the way and cause delays, but as a customer as well, this is becoming too much of a headache and starting to stress me out.

I first messaged you about my Hades wig November 15th fo 2014. We agreed that the price for the wig before shipping would be $150, split between two payments of $75. I sent the first payment February 18th 2015. Originally, the wig would be due by May at the beginning of May for a con Memorial weekend. The 2nd payment was sent March 23rd. That was our last point of contact until May 12th when I said the deadline was extended to end of July in hopes of attending Otakon. May 27th, I changed the deadline to an earlier one, for a con on the 25th of June. You again, said you'd meet my deadline, mentioning to start in early June.

June 20th I asked for progress pics because it was 5 days before the con with no progress pics or word from you since May 27th. June 27th I sent another message after no response, to which you responded asking to extend the deadline. Which was fine with me since, once again, my plans fell through. At that point, I decided not to attend Otakon due to the price tag and said that there was no deadline at this point. Not because I don't have other cons planned, but because I was sure you would not meet any deadline I placed.

I really enjoy your wig work and was willing to wait for my wig because this cosplay is my #1 dream cosplay, with the wig being the focal point. You were the only person to take on this challenge that had a portfolio of high experience and fully trust you could bring to life his weird hair do. But at this point, my red flags were going off and I should have listened to them.

July 18th rolled around, with no response since Jun 28th, I asked for a progress pic. Ignored. 1 week later on July 22nd I sent another message which you responded to the following day saying you were shipping out orders for Otakon but promised to share a progress pic that evening. Nothing. July 26th I asked again for progress, ignored. On the 28th of July I asked again, even mentioning I was worried because I feel that I wont ever get this wig.

You did finally share a progress pic, and I do know that the wig in that pic is indeed my wig because of the color, but the progress was a joke. That looked like 10 minutes of work at best of just teasing. I asked some friends what they thought and they agreed it was just something to show to keep me quiet. No other pics were shared. I sent another message on the 18th of August asking for more progress to which you haven't responded.

The total time since I placed my order to now: 10 months.

After I did some digging, I realized you have a poor rating on the Cosplay.Com community, mostly averaging a D+ rating from past commissionee's. A friend of mine came up to me and told me her experience with you. Apparently she had met you at a con from mutual friends and said you priortorize your own things before your commissioners. I will admit, I do that myself sometimes but I always ensure to give updates to my customers. My friend mentioned that some of her friends have recieved wigs from you in the past and they are not the high quality wigs they were hoping to receive given your skill level.

I doubt if I asked for a refund, I would not recieve one. But I made all my payments directly from my bank account and have those statements available to use at my disposal. I offer two options at this point:

1) Finish the wig within the next 2 months at the highest level of your skill and pay for the shipping to my address
or
2) Offer a full refund in one payment of $150 within 2 weeks

If not, I will call my bank and get my money back from that way. This was the first time I had commissioned someone because I always felt I could do it myself, but this wig was something I knew I couldn't tackle at my low wig styling level. I really wish it didn't reach this point but I'm reaching the max level of my patience. I want my wig or I want a refund.

For someone recommended to me by Yuurisans Cosplay, and as someone representing Arda, it is a shame that this has reached this point.

New Cosplays Planned:
Kuroo Tetsurou ; Haikyuu
Vegeta ; DBZ
Ryouma ; Love Stage

Judar ; Magi
Noiz ; DRAMAtical Murder
Unread 08-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
nugrosjp
costume maker

From your story, it is better to claim and wanted the money back.
I think that is the best option that you have.

you can start by looking to my website at
WWW.COSPLAY1.COM

or just drop me an email labalaba_terbang@yahoo.com
nugrosjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #12
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouja Akuma View Post
Update: I have sent her the following message detailing my exact issues.
Well, your message to her was very nice and respectful considering how she's drug you through some mud but I hope that you've already called your bank/done whatever you may need to do about getting your money back.

I don't think you threatening action will scare her back into wanting to finish your wig, unfortunately.
You would think doing such a thing would work with people that don't want their name beaten into the ground for generally just being awful but I've seen too many stories where a claim was opened, the commissioner gave the impression they would do something, then said commissioner just continued to do as they were: nothing.

Have you considered trying to find another wig commissioner?
(I would totally understand if you chose not to.)

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):

*Animazement - 2015

Unread 08-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #13
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

It doesn't sound threatening right now, simply because I hoped she would be smart enough to realize that she's doing me wrong. But she still hasn't responded to me and I'll be calling my bank tomorrow to get this refund started, but I will be leaving her a very nasty message that isn't suitable for minors.

And I doubt I'd be able to find someone of high skill level to take on this wig. It's a real challenge because of the multiple colors, the hair line, and the general gravity defying design. She was the only person I messaged that wanted to take on this challenge, I've spent over a year looking for someone so finding another person could possibly take another year. Bleeeh.

New Cosplays Planned:
Kuroo Tetsurou ; Haikyuu
Vegeta ; DBZ
Ryouma ; Love Stage

Judar ; Magi
Noiz ; DRAMAtical Murder
Unread 08-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouja Akuma View Post
It doesn't sound threatening right now, simply because I hoped she would be smart enough to realize that she's doing me wrong. But she still hasn't responded to me and I'll be calling my bank tomorrow to get this refund started, but I will be leaving her a very nasty message that isn't suitable for minors.

And I doubt I'd be able to find someone of high skill level to take on this wig. It's a real challenge because of the multiple colors, the hair line, and the general gravity defying design. She was the only person I messaged that wanted to take on this challenge, I've spent over a year looking for someone so finding another person could possibly take another year. Bleeeh.
I hope everything works out well! :<

Hm, well, in terms of another wig commissioner, I do know of one and they are ALWAYS posting pictures on their Instagram of finished wigs.

Going through the comments on their Facebook page, the people that get wigs and bother posting vague reviews there love their products.

This is the link to their page if you at least want to try asking them about price and possibly even a commission:
Incosplay's Facebook page!

I am not sure how they go about progress pictures and things since I have never personally associated with them but they seem like a very nice and talented person!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):

*Animazement - 2015

Unread 08-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bubbles View Post
I hope everything works out well! :<

Hm, well, in terms of another wig commissioner, I do know of one and they are ALWAYS posting pictures on their Instagram of finished wigs.

Going through the comments on their Facebook page, the people that get wigs and bother posting vague reviews there love their products.

This is the link to their page if you at least want to try asking them about price and possibly even a commission:
Incosplay's Facebook page!

I am not sure how they go about progress pictures and things since I have never personally associated with them but they seem like a very nice and talented person!
Omg! That person is super talented. I will like their page and maybe if my bank issues me a refund, I'll be able to commission them. Thanks for sharing!!

New Cosplays Planned:
Kuroo Tetsurou ; Haikyuu
Vegeta ; DBZ
Ryouma ; Love Stage

Judar ; Magi
Noiz ; DRAMAtical Murder