Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 117 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 06-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #181
ShinWHO
Welcome to Impossible

Hey, what do ya know...Honestdragonchina is "having problems with her store".
There is another seller I'm a little more worried about, all_for_you_2006. Some of you may remember him as greand2005. Racked up a bunch of positive feedback, then ripped off 10 to 20 people and disappeared... Until now. Some of his listings have the same exact pictures and horrible descriptions as last year. Same items, different account. He even grabbed pictures of Jan Kurotaki from a Newtype for one of his auctions!
On a brighter note, I settled the dispute that I posted in this thread way back when it started. Iris Chan made up for what happened big time, providing me with an amazing costume. Unfortunately, Gary Lo got away with the money for about 10 peoples' commissions and has not been caught. Beware!
ShinWHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #182
Skullez
BOO !!

oh goodness thats so horrible!!! i know i would cry and just be heart broken if i recieved a costume like that !
Only time i ever take comission. is from friends and family. thats it for me!
I dont trust myself doing someones ealses costume, and afraid they might not like it.
hell, i even mess up on my own! If its mine then i dont care, i have all the time in the world to fix it. but other people, who pay and stuff...grah...

the only thing i do comission mostly is props.
I've done porfessional porps for a number of theatres and such and have had custom orders from theatres all over requestion certing things in my ability to make.
Props I lvoe makeing. but not often...

I know I had a bad experiance once with a few costumes actualy.
Sango- i comissioned a sango costume for 75 $. cheep good, i saw examples and everything, but when i comissioned it, i wanted to see it before it was sent, so if there were problems she can change it at her place.
I never recieved one image. Then upon reciving the costume, it looked great for the most part. but the kimono was only one layer, the apron was poorly done, and the leggings didnt fit me. =e.e=...the rest was alright but i was still disapointed a little. so i let my sister have it.
then also when i wased it,...the pink dye came out!!! so it turned white!!!
so i turned around and made my owne....wasent that hard at all..

lastyear- i made a comission for the kyo costume.
i told the person the day i needed it and the day i would like to have it by and what con it was for and everything.
sad thing was i was gone for 2 months doing an internship. i figured that would be pleanty of time. so i had no way of contact. and i made the order before i left. it was back in april.
5 months pass, and time was up. i needed the costume.
comes to find out the person didnt even have it completed, he clames he was wating for pleats or something to complete it.
i requested a refund and send what he had, id do it myself.
when i recieved it, the only thing made was a jackit and that it! which wasent even made right!!! and i didnt recieve not even half my refund.
I also recieved half assed fabric all cut up and everything and no pleets what so ever, nothing that the cost of the costume was, i recieved.

but i finished the costume in 3 days before the con. and it looked better then what he would of done.

I only Had ONE great comission, and that was from Ari-chan ! =^.^= !
she even refunded me cash because she felt the costume wasent good enough, and i felt it was wounderful. she is the noyl one id comission again. and i have but she is low on time.

so this year, im doing them myself. =@.@= ! ahh.

Site of art and cosplay.

http://www.heisestudios.com

Last edited by Skullez : 06-10-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Skullez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #183
strawberry_yura

Ahh, I feel somewhat better knowing that there is a thread like this. I'll have to raise my hand too about Setsuna Kou. I wanted some Lolita shoes, and in my haste and excitement I ordered two pairs of shoes from her. She gave me a quote, $65 per pair of shoes (I ordered a black pair and a white pair). She said to give her 6-8 weeks to make them, I gave her $130 for the shoes by money order. I e-mailed her a couple of times inquiring the progress and she would tell me they were coming along great, and they closely resemble the shoes I wanted (one of the shoes I wanted were these: http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...32-center.jpg). Later when I got them, they reaked of cigarette smoke, had all kinds weird stains and to top it off looked like clown shoes.

Here are pictures I took of them when I got them:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...17_06_1335.jpg that's the black pair and
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...17_06_1334.jpg
that's the white pair.

For 6-8 weeks, I could have done better. Looked like she obtained a pair of cheap store bought shoes and quickly stuck patent leather on them. Now the white pair I can see some work went into the seaming, but they still look ridiculous. I can't believe I complimented her costumes (and that's one of the reasons why I didn't ask for my money back... I was ashamed of complimenting her... it's my own fault for not being smarter)

But just to give advice, we as buyers need to be smarter when we purchase from commissioners. My boyfriend even pointed out before I bought them that a person can't possibly MAKE a pair of shoes, unless they are a cobbler ot something, and that's what to expect... I was impatient and poor, wanted some cute shoes for cheap... I could have probably saved up more money and bought the actual pair of shoes for higher quality. And yes, some commissioners are great, but can't necessarily satisfy their customers because maybe their expectations for the costume are different. Just think it through carefully before you buy something.
Unread 06-11-2006, 08:20 AM   #184
Northern
Master in the field

I can feel your pain darlin...those dont even look like shoes! Ya know...that is one thing I would never attemp to comission...shoes. Ill do boot/shoe COVERS, but not shoes...I hate shoes with a passion. >.<

Anime North 2012
Friday: Toothless Hoodie
Saturday: Millitary Lolita
Sunday: Soubi- Loveless

youji_kudou_@hotmail.com
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #185
rayn
Chibi Snuggle Ninja

When I got into the cosplay business, I had no idea how many other commissioners were out there, but it isn't really that that bothers me. It's how they give us all a bad name. There should be no need for a thread like this, you know?

I'll be the first to admit, my cosplay business got off to a rocky start. I started with a cheap geocities site because I knew nothing about web design and then there was a big yahoo crash and I lost all my email. I at least made an effort to track down my customers though. I gave three free costumes to make up for the delays and lost information and I've refunded all but one customer whose info I'm still trying to track down. I know that accidents happen, but when it's a regular thing, that just isn't right, and when you make no effort to make up for things going wrong, it's not a mistake anymore
Unread 06-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #186
xinababo
Enjoy your spaghetti.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Azumanga-Daioh-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Is it just me...or do those anime pictures at the bottom look like Limebarb's??

http://www.limebarb.com/cosplay/costumegallery.htm

o_O

KORE TE DESTINYYYY~?! -Nobuta wo Produce <3
xinababo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #187
PrincessYuni
Master Commisioner

xinababo - not really at all, the detailing is different
Unread 06-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #188
AnnAnime

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinababo
http://cgi.ebay.com/Azumanga-Daioh-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Is it just me...or do those anime pictures at the bottom look like Limebarb's??

http://www.limebarb.com/cosplay/costumegallery.htm

o_O
It doesn't matter if it is or not because the Anime pictures themselves are copyrighted by the people who made the anime. No one eccept the people that made the anime can claim the pictures. If it was a picture of a made costume then it would be wrong. This is not the case. They can copy how they do the photos all they want because neither of them own the anime.

I could understand if we were talking about a website layout that was stolen without permission.

So basically it doesn't matter when it comes to the Anime pictures, unless it's fanart.
Unread 06-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #189
Ambient_Blue
Silver-Eyed Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry_yura
Later when I got them, they reaked of cigarette smoke, had all kinds weird stains and to top it off looked like clown shoes.

Ohmigosh hahahaha! After I read your post and looked at the pictures, I laughed so hard because your comment about 'clown shoes' is dead-on. Wow, if I was you in this situation I think I would have cried upon tearing them out of the shipping box. That hurts me just looking at it.

It sucks so many people have to get ripped off or jipped in some way, because it forces us all not to trust anyone. Things shouldn't have to be like that, but....
Ambient_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #190
hoshi-p
歌姫

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinWHO
There is another seller I'm a little more worried about, all_for_you_2006. Some of you may remember him as greand2005. Racked up a bunch of positive feedback, then ripped off 10 to 20 people and disappeared... Until now. Some of his listings have the same exact pictures and horrible descriptions as last year. Same items, different account. He even grabbed pictures of Jan Kurotaki from a Newtype for one of his auctions!
Grr...That's the person who ripped me off. Thank you for your warning!
hoshi-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #191
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

Unfortunately this is what I see a lot out of people who want a "budget costume". They come to me, tell me that my prices are too high, and I send them along to her. It is kinda mean considering that I know what her work is like.... and lets just say.... ugh.... But the fact is her prices are low for a reason. You get what you pay for and those people who scoff at my price are often told to either go to her or to look on ebay. I can't count how many have come back to me whining about her "work". They don't bat an eye about paying a higher price for a costume then. And if I can't do it (because of whatever reason) I will usually send them on to another GOOD costumer that will give them a costume at a fair price for the work that goes into it.

I'm sorry that you had to go through this, but maybe, just MAYBE the word will continue to get out about that woman's "work" and she will eventually lose enough business to stop all together, but until that day, we will still get the random horror story here that will make us all weep for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry_yura
Ahh, I feel somewhat better knowing that there is a thread like this. I'll have to raise my hand too about Setsuna Kou. I wanted some Lolita shoes, and in my haste and excitement I ordered two pairs of shoes from her. She gave me a quote, $65 per pair of shoes (I ordered a black pair and a white pair). She said to give her 6-8 weeks to make them, I gave her $130 for the shoes by money order. I e-mailed her a couple of times inquiring the progress and she would tell me they were coming along great, and they closely resemble the shoes I wanted (one of the shoes I wanted were these: http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...32-center.jpg). Later when I got them, they reaked of cigarette smoke, had all kinds weird stains and to top it off looked like clown shoes.

Here are pictures I took of them when I got them:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...17_06_1335.jpg that's the black pair and
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...17_06_1334.jpg
that's the white pair.

For 6-8 weeks, I could have done better. Looked like she obtained a pair of cheap store bought shoes and quickly stuck patent leather on them. Now the white pair I can see some work went into the seaming, but they still look ridiculous. I can't believe I complimented her costumes (and that's one of the reasons why I didn't ask for my money back... I was ashamed of complimenting her... it's my own fault for not being smarter)

But just to give advice, we as buyers need to be smarter when we purchase from commissioners. My boyfriend even pointed out before I bought them that a person can't possibly MAKE a pair of shoes, unless they are a cobbler ot something, and that's what to expect... I was impatient and poor, wanted some cute shoes for cheap... I could have probably saved up more money and bought the actual pair of shoes for higher quality. And yes, some commissioners are great, but can't necessarily satisfy their customers because maybe their expectations for the costume are different. Just think it through carefully before you buy something.
Mimette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #192
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimette
Unfortunately this is what I see a lot out of people who want a "budget costume". They come to me, tell me that my prices are too high, and I send them along to her. It is kinda mean considering that I know what her work is like.... and lets just say.... ugh.... But the fact is her prices are low for a reason. You get what you pay for and those people who scoff at my price are often told to either go to her or to look on ebay. I can't count how many have come back to me whining about her "work". They don't bat an eye about paying a higher price for a costume then. And if I can't do it (because of whatever reason) I will usually send them on to another GOOD costumer that will give them a costume at a fair price for the work that goes into it.

I'm sorry that you had to go through this, but maybe, just MAYBE the word will continue to get out about that woman's "work" and she will eventually lose enough business to stop all together, but until that day, we will still get the random horror story here that will make us all weep for you.
My boyfriend was greatful he didn't place a commission order with Setsuna Kou when I pointed him the various threads about her "handywork."

As for what you were saying Mimette, I understand completely. I have responded to many a post here and e-mail requesting a quote for a costume and when I do quote them a price they say "oh" or "that's a little steep" and I never ever hear from them again but then I'll find that they post that they got ripped off by another commissioner. I honestly do not weep for them and honestly it is becuase of them I am rather offish about taking commissions.

as the saying goes. "You get what you pay for"

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #193
AnnAnime

one thing I do have to say about setsuna is that it's all because of her that I started commissioning costumes. See few years back ( about 4 years ago or more) and I was going to my very first convention. I needed a costume badly so I went looking online for a place that sells anime costumes and found her site. This was before I even knew about commissioners.

So I contacted her about her Super sailor moon costume. It's beautiful I might add but at the time I only made $40/week or less sometimes and I had to spend most of my money on food because the stupid DEFAX only gave me and my mom $10 in food stamps per month to live off off.

Anyways she wanted $360 for it. I would have had to do without food for about 2-3 months to afford that. I cried a bit then I went on ebay, and found someone selling one made by her on ebay. I bidded but lost but lost because the price was WAY too high. It went for $250.

Then I cried for two days not knowing what to do. I could afford about $100. Then one day it hit me like a rock. I said Why don't I just make it myself? I had been sewing since I was 4 years old and I had even made myself a few clothes before so I said why not.

So we all went to Joann's and got all the materials I needed. I got just enough. The total was $65 and that also included materials to make my boots. By then I had to rush and make it because the con was only 5 days away. I got it made but missed alot of sleep.

At the con I learned about commissioners by asking around about people's costumes. I thought that was just neat!

So when I got back from the con I started to commissions myself. I learned html and put my costume up on my site and I've been doing commissions ever since.

I do however think that it's wrong to do that with shoes Shoes are not really that hard to do. It seems she used no pattern at all. Even shoes are made by pattern peices. It looks like she sew a bunch of peices of fabric together to make it look close to the shoe in a rush then shipped it out. I do wonder about that lady. I hate to say this but I believe that she has many people working for her. I have heard soo many bad things about her that it's sad.

Sorry that happened to you.
Unread 06-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #194
strawberry_yura

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient_Blue
Ohmigosh hahahaha! After I read your post and looked at the pictures, I laughed so hard because your comment about 'clown shoes' is dead-on. Wow, if I was you in this situation I think I would have cried upon tearing them out of the shipping box. That hurts me just looking at it.

It sucks so many people have to get ripped off or jipped in some way, because it forces us all not to trust anyone. Things shouldn't have to be like that, but....
Yes, I did cry as soon as I opened the box and saw them. I had to wait for two hours for my boyfriend to come home so he would console me. He certainly had a good laugh about it. And no offense to commissioners, I know a lot of you work hard, but I just decided no more costume requests for me. I'm not a bad seamstress myself (I don't believe there's ANYONE who can actually MAKE shoes, I'm the stupid one for thinking she could) when it comes to clothing, so I'll just be patient and sew my own stuff. I just don't want to trust anyone after that. I guess she thought she did a good job. I guess commissioners can't satisfy everyone. But come on, those look RIDICULOUS.

And to think I actually complimented her costumes. When I look at them now I see all the flaws. I was just an impatient fool who wanted some cute shoes (and not even for cosplay, they were for actual wear).

I think her sister and her run the site? Maybe the Better Business Bureau can handle something like this? I wonder if she even is licensed? But then again lots of commissioners are unlicensed. I guess there's not much we can do. Has anyone actually responded to her about the horrendous work she's done? I think it's too late for me, as this all happened (and I received the shoes) in January. I'm just really curious as to what she has to say to people who are not satisfied with her work. I'm too embarrassed to reply since I complimented her costumes before I ordered. Stupid stupid me. T_T
Unread 06-12-2006, 10:28 PM   #195
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!

Well, I'm here to warn you about a CLIENT I had. Her nickname is 'Izzy' and she commissioned a bunch of Sailor Moon accessories for me. When I mailed her the contract on April 20th, 2006, she signed it and sent it back with no payment. That's when I could first tell something was up. I didn't hear word from her for about two and a half weeks, so I assumed she pulled out of the commission. I emailed her telling her to not bother sending a payment at that point, because there wouldn't be enough time to finish her order. Well, she emailed me back saying that she had sent the payment that day. I offered to refund it to her once I got it, but she told me to give the order a shot and that she was desperate.

Well, I like to think myself a generally nice person. So I figured, hey, I can do this. I'll just need to work twice as long every day on it. So, I get to work with everything, and tell her I need measurements for some chokers she has me making. She told me she would give me the measurements in a few days, which was fine by me. I never recieved the measurements for one, she gave me the second a week before the deadline, and she gave me the last on the night BEFORE I shipped them out.

Then, there was the conflict with her friends. The two others had all ordered a set of accessories with her order, so they all gave their money to her. Anyway, I began doing the pieces to all three at once. 'Izzy' kept telling me off an on that one set would/would not be needed, so I lost cruicle time working on things that weren't even needed.

Lastly, (one thing that wasn't her fault) the last two pieces being cast out of resin didn't set. I have no clue why these two imparticular wouldn't, I just know that they never fully hardened. So, to finish the order on time, I made the remaining pieces out of sculpey. Even though I packaged them in jewelry boxes, and padded the boxes, the sculpey pieces came off of their respective backings. She proceeded to insult my business over this, and claim to 'warn everyone' about my quality of work.

So yeah, if you can pull anything out of that, it's that this girl is NOT a good person to do business with. She doesn't hold up her end of the contract, so don't bother with her. (And for all who are curious, I am refunding her for the broken pieces, after all the crap she put me through). Oh, and the icing on the cake; she demanded a progress picture from me almost every night. There were some nights I was simply SO busy that I couldn't get one for her, and it made her upset. I eventually had to put a cap on it, because she was being ridiculous.

T_____________________________T

Last edited by Rain Miko : 06-12-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote