Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 111 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #211
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

I need help
Long story short, a favor I did for a friend while I was on hiatus from commissions the materials were a very very crappy grade from what I would even consider, but her now ex brought them for me to work with.
Anyway after I finally finished the dress, took a while to becuase I was working on it between school and work.

Anyway after her ex picked it up from my place and shipped it to her, I hear nothing cept for three pictures in her gallery...that was over a year ago. Now I am on the verge of opening my costume shop and I find out that she hated the outfit and in fact was telling some of her friends that it was poorly made and I am a horrible seamstress.

What should I do? How should I handle this???????

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2006, 01:26 PM   #212
Misarylane
カラス

You should gently tell her that the materials that you were supplied with were not good enough to make to dress the way she wanted it. (what I would do, I would get other customers to talk about how great you are) And if she still is angry with you than maybe she's just jealous or upset about something else.

When you take a commission you charge for the material price and if they are smart they'll give enough money to make the costume beutifull, if there not they'll be like your friend here and give you crappy stuff. it's really her and her ex's fault, not yours.

Check me out on
- DeviantArt -

Conventions
Sakuracon '12 - Phoenix Comic Con '12 - Anime expo '12 -

Cosplays
Panty // Blood Elf // Psylocke // Huntress

Last edited by Misarylane : 06-24-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Misarylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #213
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misarylane
You should gently tell her that the materials that you were supplied with were not good enough to make to dress the way she wanted it. (what I would do, I would get other customers to talk about how great you are) And if she still is angry with you than maybe she's just jealous or upset about something else.

When you take a commission you charge for the material price and if they are smart they'll give enough money to make the costume beutifull, if there not they'll be like your friend here and give you crappy stuff. it's really her and her ex's fault, not yours.
I normally do charge for materials and what not, but as I mentioned, I was on hiatus trying to pass reviews so I wasn't taking commissions, but she asked nicely and me being the pushover with friends I said I'd do it. dumb move on my part.

I'm to the point where I'm willing to give a costume to someone just so I can get a good review

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #214
Misarylane
カラス

same here...I took a costume for 30.00 and I had to spend 20.00 of my own money to make it I hand sewed it and every thing...a week later the girl reply's "why is'nt it longer?" I wanted to smack her so hard...(it was Sango's kimono)

Check me out on
- DeviantArt -

Conventions

Cosplays

Unread 07-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #215
yamibakura03
a Time Traveler

thats sometimes can be a prob. you try to be nice to your sellers and some of this people just nag about stuff.
Then when you make a costume so good and your proud of its work, there always some mistake that people find. oh, they dont think how much work costumes are put into heart. it takes time and patients..
Future Cons:Anime Matsuri 2015
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #216
Katse

I've a question about honestdragonchina on eBay.

The seller has a great rating...so the problem is that the seller is stealing photos from other sources and claiming them as their own work? I'd like to negotiate a wholesale deal with the seller for a number of costumes for our local cultural society, and I'm not overly concerned if the costumes aren't EXACTLY as shown--but I don't want to purchase something that's going to look like a dyed flour sack basted together either. What should I do--purchase a cheaper costume first to see what the true quality is, then go for the larger order, or what?

Katse
Unread 07-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #217
yamibakura03
a Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katse

The seller has a great rating...so the problem is that the seller is stealing photos from other sources and claiming them as their own work? I'd like to negotiate a wholesale deal with the seller for a number of costumes for our local cultural society, and I'm not overly concerned if the costumes aren't EXACTLY as shown--but I don't want to purchase something that's going to look like a dyed flour sack basted together either. What should I do--purchase a cheaper costume first to see what the true quality is, then go for the larger order, or what?

Katse

i have order from her and the costumes are great. she may steal the photos but i did received a good quality costume. it was misato from Evagelion
and it was exactly like the one she had in the photo.

but you can ask anyone else who have order from her and from their experience that can help.
i do know is she does a great job on her costumes.
Unread 07-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #218
AnnAnime

Another thing I hate is that some cosplayers do not treat commissioners as human too. We have feelings just as much as they do. For Ex. One guy cursed me out because he didn't think he was going to get his prop in time. The nerve!

I REALLY hate that alot! And some will bug you and even yell at you as if we're nothing.
Unread 07-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #219
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katse
honestdragonchina appears to be a professional sewing workshop in China, or someone who takes orders and sends them out to one; "honestdragonchina" him/herself most likely is not the costume maker. Some of their pictures may be of their own work, some are just of references, and some are simply photos of cosplayers they've "borrowed." Because of that, it's impossible to say *exactly* what your costume will look like. Some people have reported problems with what they've received from them, some have been happy with it. (My guess is that the orders go to different people or workshops, which could account for some of the discrepancy.) The reason their feedback is so good is because there were a number of neutral or negative feedbacks, which have been mutually withdrawn, presumably after the seller made some sort of offer of reparation to the dissatisfied buyer. If it doesn't matter to you that the item look *exactly* as represented (what you see in the photo may or may not have been made by honestdragonchina's people), then you'll probably be okay ordering from them.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #220
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

This "stealing photos" thing bugs me a lot. Why not ask the customers for "action photos" when they receive their costumes? Then they'll have their pictures and it will actually be their own work.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #221
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress
This "stealing photos" thing bugs me a lot. Why not ask the customers for "action photos" when they receive their costumes? Then they'll have their pictures and it will actually be their own work.
As far as I can tell, several of the large Asia-based sellers on ebay are not individual costumers, but workshops or people farming their orders out to workshops. In short, they don't particularly care where their reference photos come from as long as the orders keep coming in; they want to represent that they have the ability to make the costume, and they don't see anything wrong with posting photos that aren't "theirs" to represent that. It doesn't necessarily mean that they *can't* make the item, but people buying from them should be aware that there's a good chance they won't be getting the item seen in the photo.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #222
yamibakura03
a Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumori
As far as I can tell, several of the large Asia-based sellers on ebay are not individual costumers, but workshops or people farming their orders out to workshops. In short, they don't particularly care where their reference photos come from as long as the orders keep coming in; they want to represent that they have the ability to make the costume, and they don't see anything wrong with posting photos that aren't "theirs" to represent that. It doesn't necessarily mean that they *can't* make the item, but people buying from them should be aware that there's a good chance they won't be getting the item seen in the photo.

your right on that. this people work in sweatshops or have people wprking with them to make the costumes. easier for them instead of someone who does costume all by themselves. ^^""
Unread 07-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #223
ShinWHO
Welcome to Impossible

Here's what I posted about Honestdragonchina in the Final Fantasy XIII thread when I mentioned she had a costume from Final Fantasy Agito XIII listed:
"Oh, I've purchased from the seller. The costumes are often really good material, but seem to only be adequate representations of the character. For example, the blue Kasumi costume is nice material, but has no symbol on the back. Or the FFXII Fran looks right, but is cleverly made of generically textured material instead of having all the details in the armor or bodice. They are good costumes to use as a base for what you want to make. But I kinda got off topic there..."
The seller is very reliable. You WILL get your costume and it will be sent quickly with excellent communication.
ShinWHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #224
yamibakura03
a Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinWHO
Here's what I posted about Honestdragonchina in the Final Fantasy XIII thread when I mentioned she had a costume from Final Fantasy Agito XIII listed:
"Oh, I've purchased from the seller. The costumes are often really good material, but seem to only be adequate representations of the character. For example, the blue Kasumi costume is nice material, but has no symbol on the back. Or the FFXII Fran looks right, but is cleverly made of generically textured material instead of having all the details in the armor or bodice. They are good costumes to use as a base for what you want to make. But I kinda got off topic there..."
The seller is very reliable. You WILL get your costume and it will be sent quickly with excellent communication.
You didnt go off topic there. your telling what you experience from this person and yes her costumes are more of base like yet. if anyone would want a really like detail one, then you can ask. asking questions is great!
Unread 07-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #225
Misarylane
カラス

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamibakura03
You didnt go off topic there. your telling what you experience from this person and yes her costumes are more of base like yet. if anyone would want a really like detail one, then you can ask. asking questions is great!
you sound like my mom. thats kinda funny.

Check me out on
- DeviantArt -

Conventions

Cosplays