Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.78 average.
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #2731
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoimakethis View Post
Hi, does anyone know if Limebarb is a reliable and safe commissioner currently? I asked for a Final Fantasy costume quote, and it is quite expensive for each piece of the costume. Even one piece can buy an entire costume from eBay or something, so I'm just wondering if their prices are really worth spending and if I will get the costume of my dreams.

Thanks!
Better Business Bureau rates them a C+. Seems there's a lot of complaints. Just type Limebarb into a Google search and see what all comes up. Also, you can do a search in the forums under the thread tools. You can also look in the Commission Review thread in the "L" section.

Here's another link on reviews I found:
http://limebarb.worldmma.info/lime-archive1.htm

I should also mention that there are good reviews out there. For me, it's too pricey and too much of a risk for that price based on many negative reviews. The choice is yours though.

If you want, send me a PM with what cosplay you are wanting from FF and I might be able to help with a commissioner.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 10-16-2010 at 06:25 PM.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #2732
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Quote:
Hi, does anyone know if Limebarb is a reliable and safe commissioner currently? I asked for a Final Fantasy costume quote, and it is quite expensive for each piece of the costume. Even one piece can buy an entire costume from eBay or something, so I'm just wondering if their prices are really worth spending and if I will get the costume of my dreams.

Thanks!
You can read my story in the review thread. Looking back I was being way too nice for paying $500 and not getting at ALL what I thought I was getting. ALSO being two months late. Way too late for her to adjust it in the correct sizing. The thing was falling off my butt.
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #2733
MissDarkRose
Lover of Cosplay :3

What do u mean? I've been wondering about them, do they scam? Are they trustworthy? Are there costumes high quality?
Haruhi/Random School Girl From Haruhi Suzimiya
Crossplay of a Guy

Future Cosplays for Anime Expo 2012:
Lucy from Elfen Lied
Hit Girl from Kick Ass
MissDarkRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #2734
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDarkRose View Post
What do u mean? I've been wondering about them, do they scam? Are they trustworthy? Are there costumes high quality?
Check the commissioner review thread. Look in the "C" section. There should be tons of reviews there, if I remember correctly. Also, check the shops not to go to thread and use the forum tools to search the thread. Type in the name and it should pull up things that people have said or asked about them.

Hope that helps.
Unread 10-17-2010, 01:21 AM   #2735
MissDarkRose
Lover of Cosplay :3

thanks!
Haruhi/Random School Girl From Haruhi Suzimiya
Crossplay of a Guy

Future Cosplays for Anime Expo 2012:
Lucy from Elfen Lied
Hit Girl from Kick Ass
MissDarkRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #2736
ModernDayFire

chinenewfashion?

I registered here JUST so I could say about this...I ordered (stupidly) the Lightning outfit from chinanewfashion.com around 3weeks ago (not that long I know) and although they have sent me an email asking for my dispatch address etc. all of which I had already given them upon ordering I am not very convinced.

After I made my payment and they sent me out a "tracking" code, then shortly after this my account log in details have magically disappeared from there system "email address has never before been registed - apparently" so I can no longer log on to even attempt to track it...that saying if there is anything to track!

I'm hoping I am just being excpetionally paranoid considering all of todays internet scams...but I'm really not filled with much hope, my spur of the moment purchase was an awful idea.

Suppose time will tell.
ModernDayFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #2737
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayFire View Post
I registered here JUST so I could say about this...I ordered (stupidly) the Lightning outfit from chinanewfashion.com around 3weeks ago (not that long I know) and although they have sent me an email asking for my dispatch address etc. all of which I had already given them upon ordering I am not very convinced.

After I made my payment and they sent me out a "tracking" code, then shortly after this my account log in details have magically disappeared from there system "email address has never before been registed - apparently" so I can no longer log on to even attempt to track it...that saying if there is anything to track!

I'm hoping I am just being excpetionally paranoid considering all of todays internet scams...but I'm really not filled with much hope, my spur of the moment purchase was an awful idea.

Suppose time will tell.
I was going to say if you paid through pay pal you might be able to do a dispute or some thing through them? That's why I tend to only buy through ebay/paypal or a store online that I know I can trust.

Not saying that your the only one stuff like this has happened to. But I tend to be very paranoid about my information or what have you being stolen or hacked or what ever. I've never had any thing like that happen to me. But my parents got their information stolen last year, though it wasn't online. They don't have internet. But still, that probably made me more paranoid.

Any way, just a suggestion since I don't know if you used pay pal or not. Or even I think if some one starts making purchases with your information you can contact your bank and your bank will help you out and get your money back. Unless you have a douchey bank. But yeah, my parents just contacted the bank with the statement that had crap on there they didn't buy and then some one helped them sort through every thing.

So, good luck and hope things work out for you.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #2738
ModernDayFire

Thanks! yeh luckily I used paypal for the purchase so I suppose if it comes to it and it is a complete scam I can at least try and get my money back, I'm going to give them some time to redeem themselves before I jump to conculsions that they have stolen my money and all sorts.

That a shame about your parents, it's horrible how common scams are now. A few years back on a ticket website me and my friend both got completely con'd out of £180 each for some festival tickets! I had searched about info for the site as well and it seemed legit enough..so I guess that has kinda fueled my paranioa.

But for this I guess I'll just be hopeful for another week of two that I'll actually get something - if not dispute resoultion ahoy!
Unread 10-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #2739
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Thanks! yeh luckily I used paypal for the purchase so I suppose if it comes to it and it is a complete scam I can at least try and get my money back, I'm going to give them some time to redeem themselves before I jump to conculsions that they have stolen my money and all sorts.

That a shame about your parents, it's horrible how common scams are now. A few years back on a ticket website me and my friend both got completely con'd out of £180 each for some festival tickets! I had searched about info for the site as well and it seemed legit enough..so I guess that has kinda fueled my paranioa.

But for this I guess I'll just be hopeful for another week of two that I'll actually get something - if not dispute resoultion ahoy!
If you paid three weeks ago be careful about waiting much longer to file with PayPal. They will only help you up to 45 days. They denied my claim almost instantly when I filed for a dispute, but it was after 45 days. Thank goodness my bank filed a dispute and got my money back. Do research on your bank and call up there. Sometimes they have time restrictions too. When was your cosplay due to be shipped? They typically tell you to wait a week after the due date and then file. If your due date was missed though, I'd file anyways seeing how there's no actual information on anything now. I wouldn't be so generous in this case.

EDIT: Also, just found this in the thread about them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StHoly View Post
and btw, is china new fashion reliable?
their stuff are cheap... D:
Don't Trust em.

Why:

1) Lack of consistancy in image presentation/models ~ some photos are beside anime pictures, some are on real models, some are on dummies (at least 5 different kinds of dummies and dressforms). The photo number and quality varies for each item as well. Some of the images I recognize from the amazon.co.jp marketplace and fujitatsu (another low-end China-based retailer that sells costumes for three times the prices listed on this site)

2) Unrealistic cost for the materials shown. Ex. You can't buy the raw materials for their shown Lightning costume and still profit significantly from it's sale at the price offerred (2 colors of synthetic leather, enamel, lionboard, stretch-knit and polyester twill). Similar legit costumes in those materials retail for 5-10 times that site's asking price... even Chinese sweatshops selling versions without any synthetic leather parts or the accurate pauldrons charge an average of $90-100 for work a third the quality of that shown.

3) They sell electronics and... costumes? Supicious as hell. Chances are they subcontract all items as cheaply as possible from the cheapest bidding sweatshops. I know of no obvious connection in textiles and electronics that would lead me to think the same company makes both... much less well.

4) ALL of their reviews have 5 stars... all of them. None of these stars seem to be connected to usernames, emails or written reviews.

On the topic of REALLY cheap costume-sites:

Generally speaking, the lower the cost ~ the lower the bottom line... which means less money spent on labor, safety, and materials. Please think not just of your money... but also the sort of dehumanizing practices it might support :/

I'm not saying don't use Chinese makers. I use some myself. Just know what you're paying for and adjust your expectations accordingly.

If it sounds too good to be true: it really is.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 10-18-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Unread 10-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #2740
Kawaii Pocky

Quote:

I'd give them a week honestly, because it shouldn't take more then a week to tell you what you need to know. Plus they might try to stall so that they can get passed the time you have to write a report on them through pay pal so you can't get your money back.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Unread 10-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #2741
ModernDayFire

ah I guess I wasn't really taking into consideration the paypal time restrictions... thank you both! Think the end of this week if I hear nothing back, I'll just go straight to trying to get my money back.
Unread 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #2742
Kawaii Pocky

Quote:
ah I guess I wasn't really taking into consideration the paypal time restrictions... thank you both! Think the end of this week if I hear nothing back, I'll just go straight to trying to get my money back.
No prob, thought I would just let you know since I wasn't sure if you were aware of the time restrictions they have to make a report or what ever for a transaction.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Unread 10-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #2743
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
^_^ You're welcome. Just wanted to make sure you didn't wait too long b/c when you pass 45 days, you aren't even given a second glance at what's been going on. Just make sure you know the exact date of the PayPal transaction and make sure you don't go over the 45 day mark.

Also, after doing more research, seems they are connected to two other companies...ahappydeal.com and something else. People have not received electronic products from these two sites, as well as chinanewfashion. I did read one review that someone did get their cosplay product, but the user was on here and only had one post, so seems rather suspicious.
Unread 10-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #2744
howdoimakethis

Does anyone know if ez cosplay is safe, reliable, and good quality for their costumes?

And just a side question: I am new to PayPal, so when you use your credit card with PayPal to buy things, does PayPal charge you any fees? How about for selling items, for example on eBay? I know eBay charges listing fees, but does PayPal charge you if you sell an item? Does PayPal simply charge fees for anything and if so, what times?

Thanks!

Last edited by howdoimakethis : 10-18-2010 at 11:28 PM.
howdoimakethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #2745
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Does anyone know if ez cosplay is safe, reliable, and good quality for their costumes?

And just a side question: I am new to PayPal, so when you use your credit card with PayPal to buy things, does PayPal charge you any fees? How about for selling items, for example on eBay? I know eBay charges listing fees, but does PayPal charge you if you sell an item? Does PayPal simply charge fees for anything and if so, what times?

Thanks!
Sometimes there is a slight fee for selling on PayPal. It can charge the buyer or the seller depending on what option you and or the customer/seller choose. I've never seen it more than $3-$5 though. I think it might charge if your actual bank account isn't linked to your PayPal account -- I'm not 100% certain. I'm sure you can find this information on PayPal's website though.

As for the website, I can't seem to find a single review on them.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 10-19-2010 at 04:58 PM.