Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 156 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 01-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #16
halafax
Mad scientist

Everything on your posts is great info, except the last one about the ebay user. They have one negative feed back and one neutral. Their overall rating is very high. Im not saying they arent a scammer, but why just the last two or three items?

Unread 01-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #17
AnnAnime

Thanks soo much for adding this info. This shines more light on my investigation. It also helps others too to be aware of those names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinWHO
I know exactly who you are talking about. I have a huge collection of costumes from Japanese shops (COSPA, COSMODE, MANDARAKE, etc.), Yahoo Auctions Japan and eBay, and unfortunately dealt with this person more than once. First, as w2kwong, which is still registered with relatively good feedback. I gave neutral feedback because I actually got a pretty good costume, just had to put up with ridiculous BS with shipping. Person showed up as Wai Wai Kwong on Paypal, but item was sent by Gary Lo. Plus it wasn't the same item as in the pictures. Then, as cchan2005 (Carmen Chan), who I tried to get 2 costumes from and showed up on Paypal as Simon Lo. One I never got and the other was delivered from someone named Iris Chan unfinished with missing accessories I paid for. As soon as I left 2 negative feedbacks and asked if they knew who w2kwong was, they were immediately no longer registered on eBay. This person is also responsible for the aweful cosplayaustralia website and has used the e-mail address gm@cosplayaustralia.com among many others that I still have records of. I was seriously considering going after them for fraud at one point.
AnnAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #18
AnnAnime

Not only is Geocities not very good but they don't give you enough space either in my opinion so you can't put alot on there.
Unread 01-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #19
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol
There are many things that hinder attempts at prosecuting scammers.

1) Limited or lack of information on the person. For example, many transactions go through Paypal. Most times, a person sees only a name. Without knowing where the person lives, it is difficult to prosecute. Paypal isn't going to divulge personal information unless there is a court order.

2) Time and money to chase people down. Lawyer fees cost quite a bit. Even if a person goes through small claims court as an alternative to an attorney, that person needs to spend time to understand the process, show up at the court house, and pay filing fees.

3) Paypal's statute of limitations for complaints. Paypal has a limited time period for people to submit a complaint, so they can investigate. Many scams are reported after this statute of limitations has long passed. After this expiration, Paypal has no obligation to investigate.

You have just stated my main three reasons why I do not like Paypal for commission transactions.
I know alot of people don't like it, but I prefer PO Money Orders or AMex Money Orders for the fact that they are secured and my customers will have my mailing addy in the event they are displeased

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #20
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

I don't mean to start a flame war or anything.. but here's another member to avoid: http://www.greatideasinc.com/gi-linkpartners03.htm

I did wanna order from her.. but after reading that, I'm glad I didn't.
Major Raikov (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker)
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 12:57 AM   #21
AoKoneko
Banned

Hum good to know thanx ^_^.
Normally when theres an costume i cant make or have someone help me make. I ask a commissioner to do it.
Iv only been ripped off 5 times so far. But I know in my heart not everyone is bad out there. So just cause of an few bad experance I still move on.
I was ripped off by
Elf Eater's Broken Sunglasses. (I won agent them But they are no longer around)
DarkDragonFly aka Wigs by Camatha
LimbBarb. (i wasnt ripped off by them But ahaha it took half an year to get what I ordered.)
Setsuna Kou. I asked her to maken a Ishtar costume for me from Macross 2.& she made it all wrong. & charges WAY to much to begin with.
BlackCerenity

Heres an link of others whom do commissions though
http://www.nyx.net/~wsantoso/cospcomm.html

aww wouldnt it be nice if there were honest people still left?
It just seams to me the cosplay world is starting to really attract some bad people v,v. I wish things would go back to the way it use to be.
Nice friendly happy people. Everyone so willing to help. Costume were simple and no one fought over whoms costume is the best. *sigh*

Last edited by AoKoneko : 01-13-2006 at 01:11 AM.
AoKoneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #22
AnnAnime

Wow that's deep!

I however mostly prefer paypal payments because I have a paypal bussiness card and it works like a credit card but you don't use credit, you use cash. It's great when I have to special order something online because most places only take a credit card.

I know they don't always give addresses but when I usually give my payment info out, I ALWAYS give them my home address as well and if they want my home phone number then that's fine with me.

So paypal is good but always ask for the commissioners Address, Email address and even phone number if you want. I for one have never had any problems with paypal but you know scam artists and theives find ways to rob you no matter what anyways, That's why we just have to be careful.
Unread 01-13-2006, 05:02 AM   #23
Southernl3elle
SouthernBelle

I wonder if anyone has any bad expierences or reviews for this commissioner?

http://stores.ebay.com/Cosplayying

I'm curious 'cause I want to get a costume made from them, so yah...gotta be cautious :\
Southernl3elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #24
AmazonMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernl3elle
I wonder if anyone has any bad expierences or reviews for this commissioner?

http://stores.ebay.com/Cosplayying

I'm curious 'cause I want to get a costume made from them, so yah...gotta be cautious :\
My friend just got a Gundam costume from them, though he hasn't had a chance to wear it to a con. As far as i can tell, they are pretty up front and honest, and fast (a couple of weeks, add on shipping).

The only think i CAN tell you about them is give them EVERY SINGLE MEASUREMENT you can think of them needing, not just the "chest, waist, hips" thing. His collar was a bit tight, and his sleeves were just a TAD long...make sure you just accurately measure yourself ALL OVER and send them the list. They'll be fair to you.
AmazonMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #25
Luna Selene
Bookworm Extraordinaire

I'll second the SetsunaKou mention. The first part of a costume I bought from them, about three to four years ago, was well made and of good fabric. Everything else, however, was either off in color, cheap fabric, or just smelled like smoke and had strands of black hair all over it. They insist in trying on every costume they make before they ship it out, too. Although some people say their Sailor Senshi costumes are of decent quality, I think that's about the only thing they make somewhat well. Especially if you have a character with a lot of detail, or metallic trims like belts and the like, don't go to her. Everything she'll make will be out of fabric, even costume accessories and trims that are supposed to be metallic, like belt buckles and the like.

I'd like to add Pegasus Maiden onto here. I commissioned a blazer and school skirt uniform over a year ago from her, and while everything came on time, the fabrics were limp (not suiting material, very wrinkly, and I'd requested sturdy material), the skirt had really small pleats while I requested for either a circle skirt or larger pleats, I could still see interfacing in the lapels when she could have finished it off, and various trims were missing. Not to mention both items were two to three sizes too big, and after trying them on and re-measuring myself, they were the same measurements I'd sent her before. Stuff on her website looks really nice, but the costume I recieved I couldn't even fix, nor could a seamstress when I brought it to someone local. I was really disappointed.

I also have commissioned limebarb back in late August/early September for an agreed due date of November 15th, 2005. I still haven't recieved my costume even though she told me she'd send me pictures last sunday and ship it out on Monday. And as we live in the same city, I don't think it takes this long to ship. :/ She's also ignoring my emails, too.

We should start a thread of commissioners we've had good experiences with! Balance out all of the negativity.

Also, has anyone worked with nugrosjp? Their stuff looks decent, but I've never seen their costumes on anyone or know anyone who's commissioned them. They seem to have decent contact with potential buyers though, but I haven't paid them any money yet so I'm not sure what'll happen if I do. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Next con: Momocon 2010
Wearing:Franziska von Karma ~ Yuuko Ichihara ~ Virgilia ~ Beatrice?

Last edited by Luna Selene : 01-13-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Luna Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #26
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoKoneko
Iv only been ripped off 5 times so far.
"Only" 5 times? That is 5 times too many. That fraud rate is very high. You have had a string of really bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoKoneko
aww wouldnt it be nice if there were honest people still left?
It just seams to me the cosplay world is starting to really attract some bad people v,v. I wish things would go back to the way it use to be.
Nice friendly happy people. Everyone so willing to help. Costume were simple and no one fought over whoms costume is the best. *sigh*
There are still honest people on the internet. However, the onus is on you to do your "due diligence" on these people. Do not take anybody's word at face value. You want to ask a lot of good questions to see if they are trying to lie to you.

My "Guide for Costume Buyers and Sellers" has ideas about questions you should ask a commissioner:
http://chudahs-corner.com/userdirs/e...ume_guide.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Selene
The first part of a costume I bought from them, about three to four years ago, was well made and of good fabric. Everything else, however, was either off in color, cheap fabric, or just smelled like smoke and had strands of black hair all over it. .....Everything she'll make will be out of fabric, even costume accessories and trims that are supposed to be metallic, like belt buckles and the like.
I commissioned a blazer and school skirt uniform over a year ago from her, and while everything came on time, the fabrics were limp (not suiting material, very wrinkly, and I'd requested sturdy material), the skirt had really small pleats while I requested for either a circle skirt or larger pleats, I could still see interfacing in the lapels when she could have finished it off, and various trims were missing.
If you have specific fabric or material preferences in mind in regards to the construction of a costume, you should inform the commissioner upfront. Otherwise, you are giving the commissioner permission to use his or her costuming expertise in determining how your costume is to be made.

This type of project really needs to be a partnership. The client needs to fully express his or her "vision" of the outfit to the commissioner. Likewise, the commissioner should listen to the client in addition to providing his or her expertise on the matter. If the client does not mention any preferences, the commissioner should ask, just so there isn't any surprises later.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 01-13-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #27
AnnAnime

I have never had anyone to commission a costume for me before but the reason I started commissioning costumes wthe as becuase I wanted the super sailor moon costume on Setsuna's site but I couldn't pay $250-$300 for it. Then I found one she made for someone on ebay but sadly I lost the bid and it went for $160. I was soo upset too, but then I decided to make my own. (pictures in my member gallery) Which made me much happier and I loved making it and I figured since I had been sewing since I was young and it was my hobby and since I loved Anime I figured "What a wonderful combination!!"

So that's when I started.
Unread 01-14-2006, 02:43 AM   #28
AnnAnime

Just so everyone knows,,,, here is Setsuna Kuo's site this way Everyone will know who you're talking about http://www.setsunakou.com/costume/costume.html
Unread 01-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #29
larry_santello
Truth hurts.

Buyer Beware

Here's a very common "trick" that one of the aforementioned costume manufacturers frequently uses...

If a costume has been rushed, and shows many such mistakes as puckering, uneven stitches, inaccurate colors, inappropriate materials, ineven cut or general sloppyness, they might ship it so it arrives only days before the scheduled event that it was planned for. They say that they will gladly make corrections and alterations, as requested by a customer, but if there are only 5 days until the convention, many customers won't have the time to do so.

It is ESSENTIAL to be firm with a costume maker, and press them for a date. You don't have to be overbearing, but you have to let them know that you are taking the contract between you and them very seriously. Let them know that you will not accept a breach of that contract. If they know you're game, a commissioner may be less inclined to play dirty cards.

If the designer has a tendency to "disappear" during questionable periods of time, it should be an indicator that you need to find a new commission service. Isn't it odd that certain designers suddenly lose their email and internet access every time several customer deadlines approach, or are missed, but during that exact same time they are able to post photos of their own personal projects on the cosplay.com gallery?

Buyers, PLEASE beware! There are many conscientious skilled costume commission services available, which are still affordable. Be sure to shop around, ask questions, and read reviews before spending your hard earned money. Support the good costume makers, and let the questionable ones fade out.
Unread 01-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #30
AnnAnime

Yeah all the bad commissioners give good commissioners like me a bad name and I hate that!!! It makes people afraid to get commissions.