Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 02-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #721
AnnAnime

A customer came to me for that costume and said someone on Donkoni.net quoted them that and that I was reasonable so that's how I found out. I can find out exactly who if you want.

Unread 02-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #722
Sorahana
...That was a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnAnime View Post
as much as I hate to tell you this but commissioners have to charge money for a commission in order to make up for the work put into a costume. Would anyone work for 8-13 hours or more and do it free or as little as nothing? I don't think so, I worked as a waitress and it pisses me off that someone can work so hard and yet get paid hardly nothing! You just have to pay more for specialty items like you would for anything else.

if you want to discuss people who charge too much then let's discuss someone who will charge say $700 for a Bridget costume from Guilty Gear X with no props, shoes... it only comes with the top dress and habit... that's it... now that my friend is WAY TOO MUCH!!
I see where you're coming from, its just a couple things I thought were overpriced (but then again this is just my opinion, not an attack or anything ^^; ).

And yea...$700?! O________O Yea that is too much....but I guess we should get back on topic. Like she just said, if someone is gonna charge you $700 for a costume, look elsewhere =/.
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography

Last edited by Sorahana : 02-06-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #723
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

Now saying something like that is a bit uncalled for. A LOT of my full costumes can easily go over $700. However charging that much for a costume that isn't full is a bit ridiculous. In this business you get what you pay for. Some costumers can charge higher end prices because they guarantee a higher quality level. Whereas one person might use simple cottons, the higher end costume might use much higher grade materials, dye their own fabric, provide serged seams, style wigs, provide shoes, or what not. Telling people that $700 is too much for a costume is going a bit far imho.
Mimette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 11:06 PM   #724
Winter Divinity
夢は永遠に反響する

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimette View Post
Now saying something like that is a bit uncalled for. A LOT of my full costumes can easily go over $700. However charging that much for a costume that isn't full is a bit ridiculous. In this business you get what you pay for. Some costumers can charge higher end prices because they guarantee a higher quality level. Whereas one person might use simple cottons, the higher end costume might use much higher grade materials, dye their own fabric, provide serged seams, style wigs, provide shoes, or what not. Telling people that $700 is too much for a costume is going a bit far imho.
Nezumi has the tendecy to overcharge, IMO. $500 for an Inuyasha costume is just waaay too much. And it's not even pleated accurately. Her wigs are nice, but as for costumes, I have seen much better.

But ultimately, it's up the customers to do their homework and find out what materials they want, how they want it done, and find a commissioner who can do it to their standards.
Winter Divinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #725
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

I completely agree with you Miyori! It is up to the person to decide what they want. Whereas I feel Nezumi charges too much for certain costumes, some of them I completely agree with the pricing. However there aren't that many of them. However, she is entitled to charge whatever she wants. My costumes aren't cheap either but then again I dye a LOT of my own fabrics, I serge all seams, as well as I spend endless hours handstitching some parts of certain costumes *cough*princessserenity*cough*
Unread 02-07-2007, 03:02 AM   #726
endless_sorrow

I have a question about honestdragonchina
I've read a lot of the stuff about them, but I'm not bidding off one of their auctions - I emailed them and asked about getting a dress custom made... it's the red dress from nana. I'm not so sure anymore after reading all the negative things people said about them... plus it's $135 USD... does anyone know if the stuff that you actually custom request from them is any better tahn the stuff in their auctions?
endless_sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 04:38 AM   #727
Leitha
POTATO DAISUKI!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by endless_sorrow View Post
I have a question about honestdragonchina
I've read a lot of the stuff about them, but I'm not bidding off one of their auctions - I emailed them and asked about getting a dress custom made... it's the red dress from nana. I'm not so sure anymore after reading all the negative things people said about them... plus it's $135 USD... does anyone know if the stuff that you actually custom request from them is any better tahn the stuff in their auctions?
I custom requested an outfit and it turned out just fine, and high quality. But that's just my personal experience, I might be a rare cause.
Leitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #728
Sorahana
...That was a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimette View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to sound that way. I didn't word it the way I WANTED it to be interpretted. For certain costumes $700 is a bit expensive, but then again it depends on the quality, how complex it is, etc. So like you said if its serged, wig was styled and included, dyed fabric, and high quality, I can understand the $700 price range. If it was something else and not made of high quality, rushed, fraying, etc then $700 would be a bit high.
I wasn't trying to start anything saying what I did, it was just personal opinion so again I'm sorry. I've never done a real commission so I really shouldn't be talking, this is letting me see the types of things commissioners charge for, etc. The only outfit I made for someone and they paid me was the Filia costume in my gallery, and my friend helped me with some of it. We charged my friend $30 for the whole thing, then again I'm not a professional, I bought the fabric cheap from Jomar, and it took 8 hrs straight to make, so yea. I won't give my opinion on pricing anymore since I really don't know the cost aspect of commissioning. But I do agree that my comment was uncalled for =/.
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #729
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

I don't say that you are attacking or anything. I kinda had the feeling that you misworded something and that is fine.

Unfortunately what you said in not knowing much about commissiong seems to be something that a LOT of people don't realize. Some costumes take a LOT of time to make and there are so many people that don't realize that. I am not counting you as one of them. But there are some people that just go "how can you charge so much! I will never pay that much!" only to come back with their tail between their legs when they realize that what they did pay for a costume means that it is falling apart or just utter crap to the point they ended up on Cosfu.

Yes, some commissioners are high priced. I am one of them. However my quality level is guaranteed and has proven itself over and over again. There is one person I know that was all "I'm going to take commissions, what do you charge? I know I can charge that much!"...... no they can't charge that much because they haven't earned their reputation. I didn't start out high end, but I worked my way up there because I got better equipment, learned better techniques, and I am willing to put the extra hours into a costume. My prices reflect all of this.

However, I would NEVER consider charging $700 for a simple costume such as Bridget without all the props to go with it.... that is just outrageous and (in my opinion) shows either an inflated pricetag or somebody who takes too much time and charges as such for the time that was used on their mistakes. I could very well be wrong, so please, don't quote me on that. However I do know one person that actually thought that they were going to charge a customer for the hours of seam ripping she had to do because she screwed up.... I could NOT believe that.... it was beyond ridiculous....
Unread 02-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #730
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

*Sigh* again I need your help/advice...
The same girl (who smiles to my face while stabbing me in the back) has attacked again. I ran into her at Ohayocon on saturday after I just picked up my hall cosplay award for my Dark Rabi~en~Rose costume. Anyway she politely compliments me to my face, but recently (Just last week) I found out from a mutual friend that she was going around telling people I don't make any of my own costumes which is absolute bullshit.
I later find out the reason why she said that is because at ACen last year I let my play sister wear the costume because she didn't have a costume and I at the time could not fit the dress myself. Furthermore she was telling other people who complimented my boyfriend on his costume that it was commissioned by someone else.

It's a vicious circle of he said she said bullshit I am trapped in and I feel it is affecting my reputation as a commissioner and I am not going to quit again because I Really do enjoy sewing and honestly If I Could afford it, I'd do it for free but honestly I am at a loss of what to do and any advice ya'll can give would be greatly appriceated.

BTW here's a pic of the costumes I busted my ass making:

(Pic taken by Eurobeat King) I know his petticoat is slipping, I need to put a drawstring in it for him

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #731
AmazonMandy

Yumeko, while one person can run thier mouths, if your work is quality and you prove time and time again you are a trustworthy comissioner, that will speak volumes more. Customers who speak for you have far more weight than an angry ex-friend. Just keep working hard, and it will pay off.
AmazonMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #732
Ludger03
Corpse Shell Wielder

I agree with amazon mandy!

I wouldnt worry much besides your costume are great and you have enough proof that this is your work and all. Plus past costumers you must of had would say the same thing, your a honest commissioner.

ok quick question here. anyone order from Feral? she a member in this site and my friend wants to order a set of horns but i want to be sure this person is a trust worthy. and not take my friends money becuase i will feel bad. thanks
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)

Last edited by Ludger03 : 02-07-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Ludger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #733
CreativeGuy

I don't understand why this is in the Spam forum at all. It's discussing cosplay commissioners that do bad business. It isn't promoting the sale of anything.
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #734
Iloveknives
Team Jasper!

They should make a thread saying GOOD commissions!

Anime L.A

Anime Expo

Ani-magic

I claim Sergei Dragunov at the claiming thread
Iloveknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #735
xxmossgardenxx
Amahime

Hey guys now I need help again with the whole Ashley *Chico* thing. She did send the check and we got it, however she didn't sign it so we can't cash it, which means I can't use it to get someone to commission for the Tifa outfit. Any ideas?

~*Upcoming Con*~
Anime Boston 2014
xxmossgardenxx is offline   Reply With Quote