Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 176 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 02-15-2007, 11:19 PM   #781
northerndreams

Absolutely ridiculous that they'd ask for full payment up front. The only thing you pay for upfront is utilities and rent.
northerndreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2007, 11:27 PM   #782
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

It's just the risk the buyer takes ^^ My most recent commission was almost $500, with a timeline of an entire year. She could've definitely just disappeared off the map with helplessness on my side, worsened by the fact she's in Canada and I'm in the U.S. But she didn't; I get regular updates and communication, and have never had the slightest concern that I should feel uncomfortable about trusting her.
All except possibly one or maybe two of the commissioners I've worked with (including all of them; costumers, wig-stylists, propmakers, etc.) have requested up-front payment; had always assumed it was simply the normal practice
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 11:53 PM   #783
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndreams View Post
3) Don't buy from people that 'try to do commissions in whatever free time they MIGHT have'. But also don't buy from ones that 'do this for a living'. That is a big hint for someone that might be scamming you, not easy to make a living costuming, but t'ain't hard to make a living off of scamming naive gimmiegimmie people who want that amazing costume for only $140!!

($140 is over 1/2 of my rent since I have a roommate, that means that I would only have to do two scams a month to pay rent! OMG!)
(Puts on the Devil's Advocate hat.)

There are some people on here that do make a living doing costuming. And they couldn't do so if they did it scamming people or did shoddy work. As has been evidenced in this thread, scammers get found out pretty quickly.

Also, the terms "buyer beware" and "if it sounds too good to be true..." always apply.

Quote:
4) "I have blahblah years of experience and went to blahblah fashion institute." <--- So? I've taken a few costuming courses at the University, and work at a costuming store. Umm... ~~ pardon me, BUT PROVE IT!! I don't care if they have the most amazing costumes EVER, I could probably tell people that I worked for Versace and get them to believe it with some of the outfits I've made myself. Experience counts for nothing if you don't have proof!
Hey, just because a doctor or a lawyer has a degree and years of experience practicing doesn't mean s/he is any good. But s/he didn't get those Ph.D.'s by saying "pretty please," either.

I have a BS in computer science degree, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm a good IT tech. But I wouldn't have it if I didn't know how to open up a computer and poke around in its innards.

My husband's BS in biotech doesn't mean that he would make a good lab technician. But he wouldn't have that degree if he didn't know how to use a pipette or how to read genotypes.

Quote:
And you current "good costumers"... stop being so full of disgusting ego and snotty attitudes. You may be good at making costumes, but most of you still don't work for film companies or costuming companies.
Hey, they're not conceited, they're convinced.

And maybe they don't want or need to work for film or costuming companies. Maybe they enjoy working for themselves and making their own hours.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #784
Ambient_Blue
Silver-Eyed Witch

Quote:
Absolutely ridiculous that they'd ask for full payment up front. The only thing you pay for upfront is utilities and rent.
Sorry but there's no way I'd pay for the materials of someone's commissioned work out of my pocket first. Customers can just as easily scam someone as commissioners. By not requiring some portion of payment up front you're pretty much inviting people to steal your services.
Ambient_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #785
Misarylane
カラス

I always ask for payment first, Have I scammed anyone? No. so whats up with that?

Check me out on
- DeviantArt -

Conventions
Sakuracon '12 - Phoenix Comic Con '12 - Anime expo '12 -

Cosplays
Panty // Blood Elf // Psylocke // Huntress

Misarylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #786
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

I can't count the number of people that expect me to shell out of my own pocket first for materials for their costumes. Only to never get a contract back from those people or any clue that they are going to or intend to pay. I actually had somebody once expect me to send them a costume full finished and out of my own pocket and THEN they pay me.... no. Business does NOT work that way. Generally I require a down payment to cover materials and secure a slot and from there I purchase said materials and start working. The remainder is either paid throughout the timeline that is agreed upon or after the first set of progress shots is sent.

I am by far NOT a scammer. And anybody who says that sending money to a commissioner beforehand is bad form obviously doesn't take commissions or hasn't for very long. Commissioners shouldn't have to go into debt for a costume that may never be paid for.
Mimette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #787
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

Quote:
I'm sorry but No. After having two costumes stolen and my bank account nearly sent into the red because of it, Not only do I require full payment up front but a signed contract before I begin any work. If you don't like it, I'm sorry but that's the way I (and almost any other commissioner you talk to) operate.

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #788
R1KKu

Quote:
3) Don't buy from people that 'try to do commissions in whatever free time they MIGHT have'. But also don't buy from ones that 'do this for a living'. That is a big hint for someone that might be scamming you, not easy to make a living costuming, but t'ain't hard to make a living off of scamming naive gimmiegimmie people who want that amazing costume for only $140!!

($140 is over 1/2 of my rent since I have a roommate, that means that I would only have to do two scams a month to pay rent! OMG!).
I'm sorry but that's really rude and disrespectful, and to sum it up, you're pretty much saying dont have anything commissioned at all. Basically,most commissioners either do it for a living or do it for some extra money for bills and such.

I do commissions during my 'free' time (as do many others) and have not once scammed a person, nor do I intend to. I don't even charge that much, but that doesnt give me the opportunity to want to scam someone. I usually ask for half payment up front to cover for materials, and the other portion once the item is done and before it gets shipped, and I do put up progress pictures.

Get your facts straight before making such a post.
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #789
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

Wow, so I am a scammer now because I DO make my living making costumes. I do this part time while going to school and yes it DOES pay my bills. What.the.hell.....

Definitely a few people here that REALLY don't know what they are talking about and are throwing things out there ill informed.... I know quite a few people that do this in their free time as well as for a living and NONE of them are scammers... As it was already stated, you are basically telling people not to EVER commission anything at this point. I mean it is either one or the other and you are claiming don't do either. Utterly ridiculous.
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #790
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimette View Post
Wow, so I am a scammer now because I DO make my living making costumes. I do this part time while going to school and yes it DOES pay my bills. What.the.hell.....

Definitely a few people here that REALLY don't know what they are talking about and are throwing things out there ill informed.... I know quite a few people that do this in their free time as well as for a living and NONE of them are scammers... As it was already stated, you are basically telling people not to EVER commission anything at this point. I mean it is either one or the other and you are claiming don't do either. Utterly ridiculous.
Honestly, when I read their (northerndreams) post, she was making it seem like no one but her should take commissions because everyone else will just steal the customer's money. at least that was the vibe I got. Truthfully I find it laughable not only that she came on here ranting but then went back and deleted the post. There's no point in getting the least bit upset over one person's opinion

Next thing you know, she'll say I shouldn't take commissions because I wear glasses. Honestly Don't let her ignorant views affect your mood ladies.

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #791
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

Oh trust me, I'm not letting her ruin MY mood. I just find it funny that somebody would post such absurd things and think that they are valid points when they are completely off kilter.

I agree though. It does seem like she is trying to sway business her way.... in some method I am not familiar with o_0;
Unread 02-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #792
Misarylane
カラス

Dude I have a freackin baby on the way, free time is an understatement. And I make announcements on my website about upcomimg events that will keep me way too busy!!!!!

Check me out on
- DeviantArt -

Conventions
Sakuracon '12 - Phoenix Comic Con '12 - Anime expo '12 -

Cosplays
Panty // Blood Elf // Psylocke // Huntress

Misarylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #793
Leitha
POTATO DAISUKI!!

OK guys, I need some help.

This is regarding the user yolker.

I researched her past cosplays and everything so I honestly thought she was legit, so I sent the money via PAYPAL a month or so ago. Now, she hasn't responded to my emails or PM's. I thought, OK, hey, maybe she's having some internet troubles or something. This happens to not be the case, I look at her profile and it reads:

Last Activity: Today: 10:00 am

My jaw-dropped. I am 99% sure now that I have been scammed. She hasn't responded to 5 PM's and 2 emails.

Should I try the paypal chargeback function or should I do something else? This happens to be for a commission my room-mate wants and he put in $80 for this.... it's his first cosplay experience and if this is his first impression he might not even come to the con with me

Please help
Leitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #794
jester44

Has anyone ever commissioned anything from the user Blanndy on this site? I'm thinking of commissioning her for a Roxas costume, and it looks like she does great work, so I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with her (even if you've never commissioned from her, just know her as a friend, that sorta thing).
http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?member=52407
jester44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #795
Winter Divinity
夢は永遠に反響する

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitha View Post
OK guys, I need some help.

This is regarding the user yolker.

I researched her past cosplays and everything so I honestly thought she was legit, so I sent the money via PAYPAL a month or so ago. Now, she hasn't responded to my emails or PM's. I thought, OK, hey, maybe she's having some internet troubles or something. This happens to not be the case, I look at her profile and it reads:

Last Activity: Today: 10:00 am

My jaw-dropped. I am 99% sure now that I have been scammed. She hasn't responded to 5 PM's and 2 emails.

Should I try the paypal chargeback function or should I do something else? This happens to be for a commission my room-mate wants and he put in $80 for this.... it's his first cosplay experience and if this is his first impression he might not even come to the con with me

Please help

We shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. She could be extremely busy working on other costumes and yours. She could be getting on cosplay.com to check her PMs and whatnot and doesn't necessarily have the time to answer all your PMs. When a client (not saying you are) continually asks how the costume is going it can be quite annoying and time consuming for the costumer to answer. The time that they spend writing emails takes away time from doing your costume. I would say give it another week or so. After that you should go to paypal and file a claim with them, and it will give the seller a few days to respond. This way it will open their eyes and they'll most likely respond to your emails too. Hope this helps!
Winter Divinity is offline   Reply With Quote